Old January 2nd 04, 12:58 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

50 seems to be a reasonable number for the average applicant. This
isn't, and shouldn't be, a Bar Exam because folks who pass the rules
exam are not expected to be qualified to do interpretation and
analysis to the level and precision that an attorney does.

As I stated here before, I would like to see the exams get expanded to
something similar as to what has been required in the fire service, at least
all of the ones I have taken. The least amount of questions was 150, and
the most questions was 250. AND THE QUESTION POOLS WERE NOT PUBLISHED.

Now, what is interesting, in the 2+ foot tall stack of books I had to use
for my Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2 certifications had all of the
questions within the chapter tests, quizes, pre-tests etc. So, basically if
one did the homework like they were supposed to, then they have actually
seen the questions. I distinctly remember when I took my test, seeing the
same identical question on a piece of homework that was on the final exam,
many times. I actually like the way IFSTA organizes and sets up their
instruction books. Not only do you have a main book for the
instruction/reading, but workbooks to put the chapter's contents to
practical use.

I would definitely like to see all three tests (tech, general, extra) go up
to at least 100 questions each. And if the question pool is released, at
least only release the questions, and not the answers. At least then the
potential testee would have to look the material up. Hell, I would even
re-test if I had too under this type of test. In fact, if ham radio is
"sooo important" and "actually saves lives" I would think that retesting
every ten years would actually be a good thing. Not only would it show that
the licensee retained knowledge but might even show if he/she progressed at
all.

--
Ryan KC8PMX

"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

Old January 2nd 04, 06:13 PM
Mike Coslo

Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:
50 seems to be a reasonable number for the average applicant. This
isn't, and shouldn't be, a Bar Exam because folks who pass the rules
exam are not expected to be qualified to do interpretation and
analysis to the level and precision that an attorney does.

As I stated here before, I would like to see the exams get expanded to
something similar as to what has been required in the fire service, at least
all of the ones I have taken. The least amount of questions was 150, and
the most questions was 250. AND THE QUESTION POOLS WERE NOT PUBLISHED.

Before we go too far in this, I agree that it would be nice to get the
tests expanded.

Now to the rant!.....

So What, Ryan? If you are going to give a test, the answers have to be
somewhere. So what if they are in a book in text form? All that means is
that you read and memorize the book and not a question pool.

Or are you suggesting that the answers to the test questions be in NO
book at all? 8^)

Now, what is interesting, in the 2+ foot tall stack of books I had to use
for my Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2 certifications had all of the
questions within the chapter tests, quizes, pre-tests etc.

Oops, I should have read a little further down!

So, basically if
one did the homework like they were supposed to, then they have actually
seen the questions. I distinctly remember when I took my test, seeing the
same identical question on a piece of homework that was on the final exam,
many times. I actually like the way IFSTA organizes and sets up their
instruction books. Not only do you have a main book for the
instruction/reading, but workbooks to put the chapter's contents to
practical use.

I doubt that having quizzes and pre-tests would go over very well for
the VE's! Although there are some classes where this happens, those are
all voluntary.

I would definitely like to see all three tests (tech, general, extra) go up
to at least 100 questions each. And if the question pool is released, at
least only release the questions, and not the answers. At least then the
potential testee would have to look the material up. Hell, I would even
re-test if I had too under this type of test.

What I did was indeed to look up any answers I missed. When I studied
for the General and Extra, I'd take one of the online tests, and for any
question I missed, I would go find out why the right answer was right.
THat was a lot easier than rote memorization, and less tricky, for at
least on the Extra test, the "pick a winner" letter was very often *not*
the letter in the question pool.

And when you get down to it, many of the questions are handled just
fine by a question pool setup. Regulations and bands are one part that
comes to mind.

In fact, if ham radio is
"sooo important" and "actually saves lives" I would think that retesting
every ten years would actually be a good thing. Not only would it show that
the licensee retained knowledge but might even show if he/she progressed at
all.

That would probably be a real disaster! What would they be tested for?
There are Hams that have been licensed for a long time, and are
operating comfortably within what they were tested for a long time ago.
Others keep up very well, but all are doing just fine.

"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

Everyone makes me happy; some when I see them come in the door, some
when I last see them go out....

- Mike KB3EIA -