Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 31st 03, 03:41 AM
Kim W5TIT

Default Ham Radio in The Information Age and Terrorism

According to a story in the Washington Post, by Dan Eggen, on Tuesday, Dec.
30, 2003:
An FBI intelligence bulletin sent to law enforcement agencies last week
warned that "terrorist operatives may rely on almanacs to assist with target
selection and pre-operational planning" because they include detailed
information on bridges, tunnels and other U.S. landmarks, officials said.

OK, fault me and sneer at me all you want but, isn't the above just going
way too far? (the rest of the story can be read on the Washington Post
website--just do a search on the word almanac and it should be around the
second item in the list). I mean, I understand the fear, the tendency to
jump to safety, but even if terrorists are using almanacs, do we want to be
"caught" with one if we are thought to be acting "suspicious" as is
mentioned in the article?

Sheesh, what about ham radio?! One of the most widely used communication
mediums in this country and maybe the world, right? What do we open
ourselves up for by being on the air and "just talking?"

--
Kim W5TIT