Old January 3rd 04, 07:19 PM
N2EY

Default Why You Don't Like Warmed Over Incentive Licensing

In article k.net, "Bill
Sohl" writes:

The point is that no other licensing (federal or state) takes such a
position....i.e. where the additional privileges are not otherwise
a function of additional knowledge required for the license.

What other licensing includes things like a Basis and Purpose that the
licensees are expected to fulfill? Drivers sure don't have such.

Would you rather that FCC did away with the Extra, Bill?
For that matter what about the General?

If we adopt the philosophy, it could be done. Insane, but stranger
things have happened.

There are, as we have discussed, valid privileges which could be
tied to the increased license knowledge. Power would be a good
example (IMHO). Most of us have agreed that it makes almost
no sense to have the entry level license (technician) allowed to
run 1500 watts based on a knowledge base of so little technical
and theory.

Agreed! But FCC doesn't see it that way - yet.

Bill, your argument simply points down the path of getting rid of the Extra,
even if you don't intend it that way.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 4th 04, 04:34 PM
Bill Sohl

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article k.net, "Bill
Sohl" writes:

[...]

Not at all. I'd make the Extra the only license allowed 1500 watts.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old January 5th 04, 12:57 PM
N2EY

In article .net, "Bill Sohl"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article k.net, "Bill
Sohl" writes:

[...]

Then you have the unenviable task of convincing FCC that the current General
and Tech exams don't adequately test for the knowledge required to safely
operate 1500 watt amateur transmitters.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 6th 04, 01:22 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article .net, "Bill Sohl"
writes:

Not at all. I'd make the Extra the only license allowed 1500 watts.

Then you have the unenviable task of convincing FCC that the current General
and Tech exams don't adequately test for the knowledge required to safely
operate 1500 watt amateur transmitters.

First we can trot out all that data on how many Technicians have been
hurt by high power.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 6th 04, 02:01 PM
Robert Casey

Not at all. I'd make the Extra the only license allowed 1500 watts.

A major reason that the FCC doesn't restrict power level per license level
(other than novice) is that it is hard to enforce. Unless you visit and
inspect
the ham's station, how do you tell if that strong signal is due to excessive
power, or is it a beam pointed in your direction? Privilages based on
frequency is easy to enforce, all the FCC needs to do is listen to your
signal and note the frequency you're found on. Not that it takes extra
knowledge to operate on 14.160 vs 14.318 MHz.