Old January 19th 04, 08:21 PM
KØHB

Default Pathetic lack of leadership

If you thought the "Plan for the 21st Century Ham" by theNCVEC gang of
four was lame, wait till you see what the ARRL gang of fifteen is
proposing!

A warmed over version of incentive licensing with 3 classes, Novice,
General, and Extra.

Novice is still ghetto-ized and renewable until you assume room
temperature.

Extra just like today, including 5WPM Morse exam.

General just like today except without Morse.

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

But there's more.....

A third of a million Tech/Tech+ would get a free pass to General.

All Advanced (currently about 82,000) would get a free pass to Advanced.

That works out to about 60% of todays licensees would get a free pass to
the next higher license without testing for that grade.

And while I personally don't support a Morse test for any license, if we
must have a Morse test for Extra, then lets make it something 'Extra',
not the same old count-the-dots-and-dashes which Novices have been
passing for over a half-century! 20WPM sounds about right.

C'mon, BoD, this looks like something cobbled together in a
committee-of-fifteen-tired-old-men-afraid-they-won't-be-reelected, not
the National Association of Amateur Radio with leadership and a vision
for the future.

Nasty letter to follow.

Love always,

de Hans, K0HB

I AM THE ARRL!!!

Old January 19th 04, 08:33 PM
KØHB

"KØHB" wrote

All Advanced (currently about 82,000) would get a free pass to
Advanced.

Make that a free pass to EXTRA.

Old January 19th 04, 08:57 PM
WA8ULX

If you thought the "Plan for the 21st Century Ham" by theNCVEC gang of
four was lame, wait till you see what the ARRL gang of fifteen is
proposing!

Isnt the ARRL wonderful, my guess is that Membership and Book Sales must be
slipping.
Old January 19th 04, 10:48 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"WA8ULX" wrote in message
If you thought the "Plan for the 21st Century Ham" by theNCVEC gang of
four was lame, wait till you see what the ARRL gang of fifteen is
proposing!

Isnt the ARRL wonderful, my guess is that Membership and Book Sales must

be
slipping.

Can't wait till they show up on the top end of 75 meters. 100w and a
G5RV.....yeah buddy.

Dan/W4NTI

Old January 19th 04, 11:03 PM
WA8ULX

Can't wait till they show up on the top end of 75 meters. 100w and a
G5RV.....yeah buddy.

Dan/W4NTI

Do you think the ARRL will Print 10 Codes in QST? Maybe they could have an
article on the correct use of Echo Mikes.

Old January 20th 04, 05:03 AM
KØHB

"N2EY" wrote

Try a little diplomacy.

"The art of life is to show your hand. There is no diplomacy like
candor. You may lose by it now and then, but it will be a loss well
gained if you do. Nothing is so boring as having to keep up a
deception."
-- Edward Verall Lucas

Old January 20th 04, 06:13 PM
N2EY

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message hlink.net...

Can't wait till they show up on the top end of 75 meters. 100w and a
G5RV.....yeah buddy.

What would be the problem, with such a setup, Dan? I've made thousands
of
excellent contacts on that band with a similar setup.

oh wait - those contacts were on 80 meter CW.

But it's the same part of the radio spectrum, right? "Radio physics"
is
the same for all modes, isn't it?

---

Here's a concept I read very recently that may explain the "free
upgrade"
thingie: 'Blame It On BPL'.

Giving all ~322,000 Techs and Tech Pluses a free upgrade to General
will more than triple their numbers, from ~141,000 to ~463,000. If
even 10% of the upgradees get on the HF ham bands, that's over 32,000
new sources of trouble
for BPL systems....

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old January 20th 04, 06:30 PM
MnMikew

"N8KDV" wrote in message
Heard it 20 years ago, 30 years ago... and guess what? Ham radio is still
going! Amazin ain't it!

Yep. Besides, the internet is boring.

Old January 20th 04, 07:50 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"WA8ULX" wrote in message
Can't wait till they show up on the top end of 75 meters. 100w and a
G5RV.....yeah buddy.

Dan/W4NTI

Do you think the ARRL will Print 10 Codes in QST? Maybe they could have

an
article on the correct use of Echo Mikes.

I am sure they could drop some of the ham radio adds and put in some ten
codes and echo mikes to help pay the bills for the loss of so many members.

Dan/W4NTI