Old January 20th 04, 01:38 AM
Chuck...K1KW

Default Excellent ARRL proposal

This proposal is a good start. However, the ultimate goal should be to
align our privileges with those of the rest of the amateur radio world and
REMOVE all mode restrictions.

CW US operators can operate anywhere in the US bands but US phone is
restricted. A clear case of discrimination, and a "mode-ist" one at that!!
Politically incorrect these days....and a major waste of sprectrum!! (Just
tune the CW bands during any non contest day). A carry over from the olde
days when the ARRL was clearly a CW only group of old buzzards.

I submit that US Extra class licencee's should be allowed to operate phone
anywhere that the rest of the world can. Is that fair??? Or are we still
destined to live in an amateur radio world surpressed by our own government?

Hey...ARRL, WAKE UP!!! If you want to keep the activity up you need to
promote frequencies where we can talk to the rest of the world! How can I
make this any clearer??? And provide incentives to do this!!! An extra
25KHz doesn't make it.

BTW....requiring CW should not be a requirement for HF operation. (Good
move by the ARRL on this with the new Novice proposal) Time to get over
it....and let the rest of the many good people get on the air!!! I say this
from having slaved over getting 20 WPM done to pass my Extra test (for those
measly 25 KHz of phone) and I rarely have used code since. So......don't
deny folks from HF just because code is "your favorite mode" and you are
proud that you have no microphone in your shack.....

73,
Chuck...K1KW

Old January 20th 04, 10:24 AM
N2EY

In article iE%Ob.85899$Rc4.333443@attbi_s54, "Chuck...K1KW"
writes:

This proposal is a good start.

I disagree. It has a few good points and several bad points.

However, the ultimate goal should be to
align our privileges with those of the rest of the amateur radio world and
REMOVE all mode restrictions.

Why?

CW US operators can operate anywhere in the US bands but US phone is
restricted.

How much actual CW operation do you hear in the 'phone subbands?

A clear case of discrimination, and a "mode-ist" one at that!!
Politically incorrect these days....and a major waste of sprectrum!!

A CW or digital signal uses about 1/10 the spectrum space of a 'phone
signal. The waste of spectrum is in clinging to modes that use so much
spectrum when much narrower options are available.

(Just
tune the CW bands during any non contest day).

And?

A carry over from the olde
days when the ARRL was clearly a CW only group of old buzzards.

ARRL doesn't make the rules and never has. FCC does.

I submit that US Extra class licencee's should be allowed to operate phone
anywhere that the rest of the world can. Is that fair???

No. It's not a good idea. Narrow and wide modes don't share spectrum well.

Or are we still
destined to live in an amateur radio world surpressed by our own government?

Check out how much of the amateur bands from 160 through 10 is available to
analog 'phone.

Hey...ARRL, WAKE UP!!! If you want to keep the activity up you need to
promote frequencies where we can talk to the rest of the world! How can I
make this any clearer??? And provide incentives to do this!!! An extra
25KHz doesn't make it.

Why should we promote 'phone over more spectrum-efficient modes?

BTW....requiring CW should not be a requirement for HF operation.

Why not?

How about requiring theory knowledge to use manufactured equipment?

(Good
move by the ARRL on this with the new Novice proposal)

They would also permit General with no code test, too.

Time to get over
it....and let the rest of the many good people get on the air!!! I say this
from having slaved over getting 20 WPM done to pass my Extra test (for those
measly 25 KHz of phone) and I rarely have used code since.

How about the written test?

So......don't
deny folks from HF just because code is "your favorite mode" and you are
proud that you have no microphone in your shack.....

No one is denied. The code test has been 5 wpm for almost 4 years.

Is 5 wpm really too much to ask?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 20th 04, 04:08 PM
Harris

In rec.radio.amateur.policy Chuck...K1KW wrote:

CW US operators can operate anywhere in the US bands but US phone is
restricted. A clear case of discrimination, and a "mode-ist" one at that!!
Politically incorrect these days....and a major waste of sprectrum!!

Hey Chuck, I didn't realize that you hi-fi AM guys were so concerned with
efficient use of spectrum.

I can just hear the phone ops screaming if someone started (legally)
operating CW in "the phone band."

Hey...ARRL, WAKE UP!!! If you want to keep the activity up you need to
promote frequencies where we can talk to the rest of the world! How can I
make this any clearer??? And provide incentives to do this!!! An extra
25KHz doesn't make it.

So why are you trumpeting this as an "Excellent ARRL Proposal?"

Art Harris N2AH
Old January 20th 04, 07:04 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Chuck...K1KW" wrote in message
[...]

Dang Chuck, you should go be a co-host on K1MAN with such a speech.
Completely assinine and appropiate to Baxters blabcast.

Dan/W4NTI

Old January 20th 04, 10:16 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

"Chuck...K1KW" wrote in message news:iE%Ob.85899$Rc4.333443@attbi_s54...
This proposal is a good start. However, the ultimate goal should be to
align our privileges with those of the rest of the amateur radio world and
REMOVE all mode restrictions.

CW US operators can operate anywhere in the US bands but US phone is
restricted. A clear case of discrimination, and a "mode-ist" one at that!!
Politically incorrect these days....and a major waste of sprectrum!! (Just
tune the CW bands during any non contest day). A carry over from the olde
days when the ARRL was clearly a CW only group of old buzzards.

"PC" my butt.

CW is authorized "anywhere" since it is a narrow band mode
requiring only a fraction of the bandwidth of any voice mode.

The ONLY time I've ever heard CW in a "voice" allocation was a
mobile station trying to check in to a net that wasn't being heard
otherwise. It worked well.

I submit that US Extra class licencee's should be allowed to operate phone
anywhere that the rest of the world can. Is that fair??? Or are we still
destined to live in an amateur radio world surpressed by our own government?

No, it's not "fair".

Most US Amateurs are allowed to run far more power than they
need, and in most cases area able to erect antenna systems that
overshadow those of many other countries. Like it or not, we owe it
to the rest of the world to restrain all that ERP.

Hey...ARRL, WAKE UP!!! If you want to keep the activity up you need to
promote frequencies where we can talk to the rest of the world! How can I
make this any clearer??? And provide incentives to do this!!! An extra
25KHz doesn't make it.

Like it or not, not all of the world is chomping at the bit to
have US Amateurs able to pounce on them at every turn. When Podunk
Island is ready to work the pile-ups, he'll announce his intentions.
Otherwise, WHY do we need to have all that spectrum? Except on
contest weekends it's ahrd enough to strike up a QSO as it is anyway.

BTW....requiring CW should not be a requirement for HF operation. (Good
move by the ARRL on this with the new Novice proposal) Time to get over
it....and let the rest of the many good people get on the air!!! I say this
from having slaved over getting 20 WPM done to pass my Extra test (for those
measly 25 KHz of phone) and I rarely have used code since. So......don't
deny folks from HF just because code is "your favorite mode" and you are
proud that you have no microphone in your shack.....

Bully for you that you did it...However Morse Code STILL,
contrary to naysayers, plays an important part in international
communication in the AMATEUR Service. That' it's been put out to
pasture by the unwilling and the boistrous is evidient. That it's a
"good thing" is yet to be seen.

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old January 21st 04, 01:28 PM
google blogger

"Chuck...K1KW" wrote in message
This proposal is a good start. However, the ultimate goal should be to
align our privileges with those of the rest of the amateur radio world

and
REMOVE all mode restrictions.

Already been there........it's called ECHOLINK : ) : ) : )