Old February 3rd 04, 11:30 PM
Jim Hampton

Default Well, BPL is coming to Rochester, NY :(

Hi gang!

Well, I've not been very active in the newsgroup since so much seems to be
the old flames, but in case anyone is interested, I received an email at
work. One of the hams passed along a note (names, of course, have been
removed) and it appears that BPL will be coming to Rochester, NY. Sigh. My
feeling is that the concept was fine, but everyone ignored the results of
raising standards. In any case, here is the snip from the email.

**** begin quote****
I don't know if you've seen the ARRL video of RFI due to BPL systems
but it is a very dramatic demo. My brother, who works at RGE, says it is
coming here. Pass this along to any other hams that might be interested.
The ARRL BPL video is at:
http://216.167.96.120/BPL_Trial-web.mpg
**** end quote****

Rochester Gas & Electric is, of course, the local gas and electric
distribution for my area.

I've had some fun on 440 and 10 meters too, but have not been active on the
lower HF bands since 1969. There are some folks that think this is an
amateur radio only problem; many of us know otherwise. I'm guessing I'll
have to put up a 10 meter beacon at the least for now, but would love to
have some serious input for suggestions. Obviously, I can make measurements
(and I'm hoping I might be able to talk *real* nice to those guys at the cal
lab I worked at some 8 years ago to make some measurements on calibrated
equipment - Open Air Test Site) and try whatever.

Meanwhile, if we could avoid the flames, some serious suggestions would be
most welcome from anyone (licensed or not).

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Old February 3rd 04, 11:46 PM
David Robbins

i would contact w1rfi at arrl hq and ask for a procedure to make some before
and after measurements. that way if you do get interference you are
prepared to document the damage and help not only yourself but many others
out. don't just write down a few s meter readings, you will want to
document the antennas used, all radio settings, frequencies, time of day,
other normal noise, etc. it may be best to make measurements on certain
frequencies at certain times of the day... say 75m at mid day, 10m at night,
etc when other band noise is minimal.

Old February 5th 04, 02:42 AM
Robert Casey

David Robbins wrote:

i would contact w1rfi at arrl hq and ask for a procedure to make some before
and after measurements. that way if you do get interference you are
prepared to document the damage and help not only yourself but many others
out. don't just write down a few s meter readings, you will want to
document the antennas used, all radio settings, frequencies, time of day,
other normal noise, etc. it may be best to make measurements on certain
frequencies at certain times of the day... say 75m at mid day, 10m at night,
etc when other band noise is minimal.

Be sure to make tape recordings of such before and after. Audio of the
rig output and
video of the S meter on the rig, like what they did at the ARRL web site.
BPL may have a distinctive sound pattern that ordinary interference
doesn't have.