Old March 2nd 04, 01:00 AM
Mike Coslo

Default It's baaaack!

Just got a AES flyer today. Prices are going to be going up in April.
Inflation starts anew!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 2nd 04, 11:00 AM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Just got a AES flyer today. Prices are going to be going up in April.
Inflation starts anew!

Mike,

Is it really inflation, or perhaps changes in the exchange rate with Japan?

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old March 2nd 04, 03:33 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Just got a AES flyer today. Prices are going to be going up in April.
Inflation starts anew!

Mike,

Is it really inflation, or perhaps changes in the exchange rate with Japan?

The exchange rate is what is going to kick-start inflation. since the
dollar has been falling against other currencies recently, the other
countries either have to raise their prices, or keep them the same,
which is actually a price cut due to the exchange rate.

Since we import so many things, those prices will go up and business
will start charging more to offset the price rise......

Old March 2nd 04, 07:39 PM
Jim Hampton

Yep,

Also note that this is why OPEC is cutting oil production. Their price is
benchmarked to the US dollar and they have stated that the dollar is sinking
so they have to raise prices. Given time, you may see more radios
manufactured in the USA. Of course, few in the US will be able to afford
them since we will be the cheap labor of the world. Give it about 10 or 15
more years.

Stay tuned to this one and see who blames whom for the mess that is likely
to result.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Just got a AES flyer today. Prices are going to be going up in April.
Inflation starts anew!

Mike,

Is it really inflation, or perhaps changes in the exchange rate with

Japan?

The exchange rate is what is going to kick-start inflation. since the
dollar has been falling against other currencies recently, the other
countries either have to raise their prices, or keep them the same,
which is actually a price cut due to the exchange rate.

Since we import so many things, those prices will go up and business
will start charging more to offset the price rise......

---

Old March 2nd 04, 07:44 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Just got a AES flyer today. Prices are going to be going up in April.
Inflation starts anew!

Mike,

Is it really inflation, or perhaps changes in the exchange rate with Japan?

The exchange rate is what is going to kick-start inflation. since the
dollar has been falling against other currencies recently, the other
countries either have to raise their prices, or keep them the same,
which is actually a price cut due to the exchange rate.

Since we import so many things, those prices will go up and business
will start charging more to offset the price rise......

Makes ya wonder who REALLY won the war, doesn't it...?!?!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 2nd 04, 11:54 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Just got a AES flyer today. Prices are going to be going up in April.
Inflation starts anew!

Mike,

Is it really inflation, or perhaps changes in the exchange rate with

Japan?

The exchange rate is what is going to kick-start inflation. since the
dollar has been falling against other currencies recently, the other
countries either have to raise their prices, or keep them the same,
which is actually a price cut due to the exchange rate.

Since we import so many things, those prices will go up and business
will start charging more to offset the price rise......

And if we get lucky it will perhaps cause some of that business to return to
the US over time.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 3rd 04, 11:38 AM
N2EY

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

And if we get lucky it will perhaps cause some of that business to return to
the US over time.

I wouldn't count on it, Dee. Unless the American people get a lot more choosy
about what they buy.

The Bush Administration is so desperate for good numbers that last week they
seriously investigated the possibility of redefining the work of hamburger
assembly. IOW, they asked why jobs at Burger Meister couldn't be classified as
"manufacturing". Whether it's a Big Mojo Burger or a minivan, it's assembly,
isn't it?

"No Millionaire Left Behind"

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old March 3rd 04, 02:04 PM
Bill Sohl

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Dee D.

Flint"
writes:

And if we get lucky it will perhaps cause some of that business to return

the US over time.

I wouldn't count on it, Dee. Unless the American people get a lot more

choosy
about what they buy.

The Bush Administration is so desperate for good numbers that last week

they
seriously investigated the possibility of redefining the work of hamburger
assembly. IOW, they asked why jobs at Burger Meister couldn't be

classified as
"manufacturing". Whether it's a Big Mojo Burger or a minivan, it's

assembly,
isn't it?

"No Millionaire Left Behind"

The reality of things economic is that, like it or not, we are in a global
economy and that isn't going to change. The drastic reduction in costs
of shipping (both importing and exporting goods) as well as
similar reductions for communications makes it cheaper to manufacture
and even provide certain service functions off-shore. That isn't
going to change in the short run. In the long run, those currently
cheap off shore labor markets will self adjust upwards. In the short
run, US labor has their head in the sand if they think there's something
either party (Dems or Reps) can really do to stem the shift of
manufacturing jobs overseas. The same thing is going on in Europe.

In the long run, employees must be constantly reevaluating their
job skills and looking at the prospect of how vulnerable their job
may be as to their job being farmed out to off shore labor.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old March 3rd 04, 08:30 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

And if we get lucky it will perhaps cause some of that business to return to
the US over time.

I wouldn't count on it, Dee. Unless the American people get a lot more choosy
about what they buy.

The Bush Administration is so desperate for good numbers that last week they
seriously investigated the possibility of redefining the work of hamburger
assembly. IOW, they asked why jobs at Burger Meister couldn't be classified as
"manufacturing". Whether it's a Big Mojo Burger or a minivan, it's assembly,
isn't it?

http://www.connpost.com/Stories/0,14...987510,00.html

It's worth a read!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 3rd 04, 08:34 PM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

N2EY wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Just got a AES flyer today. Prices are going to be going up in April.
Inflation starts anew!

Mike,

Is it really inflation, or perhaps changes in the exchange rate with

Japan?

The exchange rate is what is going to kick-start inflation. since the
dollar has been falling against other currencies recently, the other
countries either have to raise their prices, or keep them the same,
which is actually a price cut due to the exchange rate.

Since we import so many things, those prices will go up and business
will start charging more to offset the price rise......

And if we get lucky it will perhaps cause some of that business to return to
the US over time.

I would sure hope so. I fear for our country as we send our
manufacturing and skilled jobs overseas, and retain our burger flippers
and money shuffling jobs here.

No disrespect towards burger flipping - it's just that that is more and
more becoming one of the choices for people trained in other fields.

- Mike KB3EIA -