Old March 25th 04, 01:35 AM
Arnie Macy

"William" wrote ...

I could be wrong, but I think only school teachers and the ARRL's W1AW
Operator are allowed to be paid while using amateur radio.

I understand your point, but the intent of this section in the FCC rules was
to stop Ham radio from being used for commercial purposes, not to prohibit
emergency communications. Nothing in the rules prohibits use of this
equipment during an emergency by any licensed person. Or for that matter,
any person whatever. As I said, our Ham equipment is being used for
redundancy, so for all practical purposes, it will never be used for routine
communication -- other than testing to ensure it is working properly.

Arnie -

ary communications has a specialized function
for such purposes.

I agree that the specialized function it provides could have assisted

us --
and we too a long look at that when we were planning. But in reviewing

all
COAs, the cost-benefit just wasn't there. Since we are primarily in

contact
with civilian agencies (both state and federal) during emergencies, it

made
better sense to utilize the cilvilian HAM radio assets we had in place.

We
have plenty of standard military comms available other than MARS HF.

The
Amateur radio piece is for redundancy purposes -- not as a primary means

of
communication. For example, all of our VHF is military and of course

the
SAT and wireless is run on military net/satilites for security purposes.

Arnie -

Fair enough.

Old March 25th 04, 01:48 AM
Arnie Macy

"Len Over 21" wrote ...

Save the vituperation and concentrate on your fabulous emergency
work for Homeland Security.

Tell us all about TCL and the Scotty. Show us where that is applied
so much in other radio communications.

Have you any experience in metrology? (not meteorology) I know
how to measure current, voltage, wattage, resistance, inductance,
capacitance very well and to small tolerances. Spent two years
working in a Calibration Laboratory. Do you wish to make fun of
that and denigrate that with more name-calling like "Great White
Current Chaser?"

Why do you apply labels that were never claimed? I happen to have
been in electronics and radio for a long time, beginning with primary
communications on HF. That's not "legendary." It is just was is.
If you wish to be petulant and abusive because you haven't had
that experience or accumulated as much knowledge, that is your
problem, not mine.

You might try for some mental health counseling, too. It would cure
you of what appears to be a radio inferiority complex.

If I wanted your resume, I would have asked for it, Leonard. It seems any
time that someone challenges your 1950s understanding of electricity, you
break out that tired old resume. (yawn)Who cares what you did in 1950? -- I
sure don't. For your information (since you apparently don't know) the
VTC/Scotty is applied across the military services in a wide variety of
applications. I don't suppose you know what a "Blackberry" is either. Oh,
wait --- I'm sure you do since you are so up to snuff on all the new
technology. Oh that's right, they didn't have that kind of technology in
1950. Well, I guess you'll just have to continue "astounding" us with
ancient electrical theory.

Arnie -

Old March 25th 04, 04:45 AM
Len Over 21

_________________________________________________ ____________

If I wanted your resume, I would have asked for it, Leonard. It seems any
time that someone challenges your 1950s understanding of electricity, you
break out that tired old resume. (yawn)Who cares what you did in 1950? -- I
sure don't.

1960s, Arnie. Actually I don't care what you did before since it
wasn't much to do with electronics (which includes radio).

Oh my, give you a Title and you really become difficult, don't you?

For your information (since you apparently don't know) the
VTC/Scotty is applied across the military services in a wide variety of
applications.

Video Tape Cassette?

Show us the references where we all might learn of these
"new revelations" for a "wide variety of applications" in
Communications. Give us TM numbers, FM numbers, etc.

I don't suppose you know what a "Blackberry" is either.

If you mean the little palmtop unit favored in Europe and the UK,
I do.

Do you know what a "raspberry" is? Here, have one from me
to you.

Oh,
wait --- I'm sure you do since you are so up to snuff on all the new
technology.

A lot more than you ever to admit...or concede.

Oh that's right, they didn't have that kind of technology in
1950.

True enough. The transistor was invented in 1947, took a half
decade or so before they became practical enough to use.

Faster than the vacuum tube invention to practical, useable
tubes, all without some fantastic improvements in metalurgy
and quality control required in solid-state electronics.

Well, I guess you'll just have to continue "astounding" us with
ancient electrical theory.

You would be "astounded" to learn Ohm's Law well enough to
apply a resistor in an electrical circuit. Ohm theorized his Law
of Resistance (often misused as "Ohm's Law") way back in time,
probably before radio was first demonstrated as a communications
medium.

James Clerk Maxwell and Oliver Heaviside formulated enough laws
to later explain radio propagation, also before 1896. How about
Ampere' and Volta? Or even James Watt? Heinrich Hertz?
All "ancient" in your terms of reference. All RELEVANT TODAY.

Prove those fundamental laws don't apply today because you
don't like "ancient" stuff.

Go ahead, call a ham in Iowa on CW. Maybe he can help you.

Then QRT.

LHA / WMD
Old March 26th 04, 12:43 AM
Arnie Macy

"Len Over 21" wrote ...

1960s, Arnie. Actually I don't care what you did before since it
wasn't much to do with electronics (which includes radio).

My apologies, 1960s electrical theory

Oh my, give you a Title and you really become difficult, don't you?

For your information (since you apparently don't know) the
VTC/Scotty is applied across the military services in a wide variety of
applications.

Video Tape Cassette?

Show us the references where we all might learn of these
"new revelations" for a "wide variety of applications" in
Communications. Give us TM numbers, FM numbers, etc.

Sheesh, Leonard. We don't use much in the way of milspec electronics
anymore. The new theory adopted by the armed services in 1994 relies
heavily on commercially available gear. The day of everything having to be
milspec is long gone. The FAR "requires" that we use commercial gear when
available, or modify it where possible for that use. "A key goal of federal
aquisition reform is to maximize the use of commercial supplies and
services. the FAR requires activities to explore the use of commercial
items to meet their needs." I learned this when I was being certified as a
COR on a 6 million dollar contract. Nearly everything that we aquired for
use in EM was either strictly commercial gear, or adapted from commercial
gear. (as per the rewuirements of the FAR)

The VTC is video teleconferencing. And a very good place to start would be:

http://www.msua.org/docs/mss_in_sept.htm

I don't suppose you know what a "Blackberry" is either.

If you mean the little palmtop unit favored in Europe and the UK,
I do.

WOW, I'm impressed. Leonard has made it out of the 1960s. Very good. BTW,
it's also favored in the Pentagon.

Do you know what a "raspberry" is? Here, have one from me
to you.

For someone that eschews personal attack so often, you seem to be very good
at it.

Arnie -

Wrong S-meter in Hallicrafters SX-28? Phil Nelson Boatanchors 44 December 11th 04 02:05 AM
Wrong S-meter in Hallicrafters SX-28? Phil Nelson Boatanchors 0 December 7th 04 10:44 PM
WRONG PHONETICS Caveat Lector Dx 1 September 21st 03 04:22 PM
GAY BISHOPS: WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT? Don Souter General 0 July 3rd 03 11:51 PM