RadioBanter

-   -   Why are so many defending the proposed automatic upgrade from Tech to General? (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27449-why-so-many-defending-proposed-automatic-upgrade-tech-general.html)

William April 17th 04 02:45 PM

(Jason Hsu) wrote in message . com...
(William) wrote in message . com...

Similarly, it is not appropriate for FISTS to comment on anything
other than Morse Code. So why do they do it? Why aren't you
addressing this injustice?

I agree. FISTS has a hard-line stance in favor of Morse Code testing.
The organization is supposed to be dedicated to OPERATING Morse Code,
not keeping the Morse Code requirement. The leaders should have
either started a new organization dedicated to defending Morse Code
requirements or simply filed petitions on behalf of themselves instead
of on behalf of FISTS.

Jason Hsu, AG4DG

Jason, I've finally met an RRAPer who can look at both sides of an
issue. Thanks for an honest answer.

bb

William April 17th 04 02:57 PM

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

What I'd like to know is why is it that many, if not most, of the
allegedly post-secondary educated persons find it necessary to use the
profanity to try and effectively express themselves...?!?! Especially those
who go out of thier way to make everyone else aware of just how well educated
they alledgedly are...And DOUBLY especially those who find it "appropriate" to
comment on the "conduct" of others in this forum...?!?!?

Seems to be roughly related to the strength of the argument in an
inverse fashion.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Wonder if Hans was a professional Sailor?

Wonder if he ever heard the skipper swear an order?

KØHB April 17th 04 03:28 PM

"William" wrote

| Wonder if he ever heard the skipper swear an order?

Awww, the girls are all a-twitter because a sailor used a bad word!
Isn't that special! Maybe they'll tell their mommies there's a sailor
talking naughty on rrap! I hope so, because I've heard that their
mommies like sailors very much.

The hypothalamus is one of the most important parts of the brain,
involved in many kinds of motivation. Among other functions, the
hypothalamus controls the "Four F's":

1. fighting;
2. fleeing;
3. feeding; and
4. mating.

Mate you very much.

As Always,
Hans, K0HB

garigue April 17th 04 09:52 PM

The hypothalamus is one of the most important parts of the brain,
involved in many kinds of motivation. Among other functions, the
hypothalamus controls the "Four F's":

1. fighting;
2. fleeing;
3. feeding; and
4. mating.

Mate you very much.

As Always,
Hans, K0HB

Fornication .......na ....... 73 Tom KI3R

garigue April 17th 04 09:55 PM

Similarly, it is not appropriate for FISTS to comment on anything
other than Morse Code. So why do they do it? Why aren't you
addressing this injustice?

I agree. FISTS has a hard-line stance in favor of Morse Code testing.
The organization is supposed to be dedicated to OPERATING Morse Code,
not keeping the Morse Code requirement. The leaders should have
either started a new organization dedicated to defending Morse Code
requirements or simply filed petitions on behalf of themselves instead
of on behalf of FISTS.

Jason Hsu, AG4DG

Why isn't NCI .......NCTI ....... Should have testing in there as I have
read repeatedly that the group is only against testing ...... Oh well
Back on 40 CW ....

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

KØHB April 17th 04 10:27 PM

"garigue" wrote

| Fornication .......na ....... 73 Tom KI3R

Careful Tom.... no "f" words around here or the sanctimonious USMC
Profanity Police will incarcerate in the RRAP brig.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Ryan, KC8PMX April 18th 04 03:17 AM

All these proposals need to stop for a while and what we as a ham community
NEED to work on is:

1. Improving P.R. of the hobby.

2. Strengthening from within (continued training etc.)

3. Keeping existing hams active.

Ham Radio, although it has gone through many changes in the past 50+ years,
it does not need to change any further than it is now, except the written
testing needs to be a little more tougher, but that can be changed at the
VE/VEC level and does not necessarily require alot on the FCC part.

Keep the requirements where they are now, and don't lessen it further. Work
on making Ham Radio stronger from within.

Ryan KC8PMX

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jason Hsu" wrote in message
om...

| Until the ARRL proposal came out, I had never heard anyone propose
| automatic upgrades of Technician licensees to the General class. Now
| that this proposal has come out, many people are defending this part
| of the proposal.

People support the ARRL proposal because it gives about 65% of all
existing hams a coupon for a free pass to General or Extra. That
suggests that the proposal would gain 65% support right out of the box.
Even NCI has decided to support it, but then the vast majority of NCI
members are techs who would be eligible for the freebie.

Ryan, KC8PMX April 18th 04 03:27 AM

The biggest thing that the ARRL needs to do right now, and would have
positive "rippling effects" not only through ham radio but within the
organization itself, is to work on getting that roughly 75% of hams as
subscribers!

Not only would they have a ton more of money to "defend" (still remains to
be proven as to exactly how they do that......) amateur radio, but would
allow for "benefits" as well, and of course allowing a slightly cheaper
subscription cost. One thing that needs to be done, and might get more to
sign up is to do something like this:

1st year membership= Free (but some limitation on benefits) (kinda like an
assocaite membership as opposed to FULL membership

2nd year membership=Reduced cost

3rd year membership=Normal price

Another thing that could be done is to have some type of incentive program.
If you "sponsor" or "sell" the idea of membership to new applicants, you get
some type of kickback on your membership for each person like $1 or so per
person that gets a new membership or re-joins after a certain minimum length
of absence.

Ryan KC8PMX

What's the percentage of the ARRL membership that are Techs
compared to other classes? Remember that the no-code-test
Tech license is over a third of ALL amateur licensees in the US.

ARRL membership was down to 21% of all US ham licensees
in December. Down from July and that down from December a
year before.

See any connections there? :-)

LHA / WMD

William April 18th 04 11:18 PM

"garigue" wrote in message news:%Qggc.159983$K91.412790@attbi_s02...
Similarly, it is not appropriate for FISTS to comment on anything
other than Morse Code. So why do they do it? Why aren't you
addressing this injustice?

I agree. FISTS has a hard-line stance in favor of Morse Code testing.
The organization is supposed to be dedicated to OPERATING Morse Code,
not keeping the Morse Code requirement. The leaders should have
either started a new organization dedicated to defending Morse Code
requirements or simply filed petitions on behalf of themselves instead
of on behalf of FISTS.

Jason Hsu, AG4DG

Why isn't NCI .......NCTI ....... Should have testing in there as I have
read repeatedly that the group is only against testing ...... Oh well
Back on 40 CW ....

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Why does a Morse/Farnsworth Code advocacy group use a symbol of
violence for their name?

Steve Robeson K4CAP April 19th 04 12:17 AM

Subject: Why are so many defending the proposed automatic upgrade from
Tech to General?
From: (William)
Date: 4/18/2004 5:18 PM Central Standard Time

Why does a Morse/Farnsworth Code advocacy group use a symbol of
violence for their name?

On the other hand...

The fist has also represented skilled trade unions, unity and solidarity.

That it represents a "symbol of violence" is more or less true if you are
presdisposed to looking for violence. Once sees what one wants, I suppose.

73

Steve, K4YZ