RadioBanter

-   -   Morse and Contests (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27482-morse-contests.html)

Dan/W4NTI May 2nd 04 09:40 PM

"Alun" wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in
nk.net:

"N2EY" wrote in message
m...

Perhaps someone can explain a certain operating habit I hear on Field
Day - but only one 'phone:

I hear most FD 'phone ops repeating the *received* exchange. That is,
you'll hear:

"November Two Echo Yankee from November Three Kilo Zed, roger your One
Bravo Eastern Pennsylvania, OK on your 1B EPA, please copy my three
alfa ...."

Why do so many deem it necessary to tell me what I just told them?
Heck, I know what class and section I'm in!

On CW, the single letter "R" does the job, and some ops don't even
bother with the R - they send their exchange as an indication that
they got yours. Or they send "TU" - (thank you) which does the job of
"roger" and "73" both.

--

One other point: Neither FD nor SS have the signal report as part of
the contact. FD is callsign, section and class, SS is serial number,

73 de Jim, N2EY

Well Jim, I think it means that phone ops are lids and real hams do it
with continous wave.

Dan/W4NTI

At last your real agenda comes out, Dan. Somehow. I'm not surprised. You
want the code test kept because you consider all of us phone ops to be
lids.

Alun, N3KIP

No, not all phone ops are lids. Just the ones that think phone is better
than CW. Does that shoe fit Alun?

Dan/W4NTI

William May 3rd 04 01:13 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
[...]

Alun, that come out with this bozo's 1st post about 2 years ago.
About the same time he buddy'd up with Bruce.

William May 3rd 04 01:15 AM

(N2EY) wrote in message om...
Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
Dee D. Flint wrote:
"Jack Twilley" wrote in message

"Mike" == Mike Coslo writes:

Mike With the likely demise of Morse code testing, is there any
Mike reason to have contests give double the points for Morse code
Mike contacts?

Jack How is the presence or absence of Morse code testing related to
Jack the point multiplier for Morse code contacts? They're
Jack orthogonal, as far as I can tell.

Mike I was always told that the increased points offered was an
Mike encouragement to work CW.

That doesn't really answer the question. A Technician can send CW on
certain HF bands, even without a higher-class license-holder present.
A ham with any other license can work phone contacts. Therefore,
whether or not an amateur has passed a Morse code test has nothing to
do with woether or not they can use Morse code. Even if the
multiplier is to provide encouragement to use Morse code, it still
doesn't have anything to do with whether or not hams are tested.

That's certainly true. But how many non-code-tested hams do you think
are actually making CW contacts of Field Day?

TAFKARJ: "CW exams are a barrier to CW use."

Alun May 3rd 04 05:00 AM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in
ink.net:

"N2EY" wrote in message
[...]

You are unbeleivable.

1) That ain't what you said; and

2) Even if it were it would be an indefensible position.

If we define a lid as being a bad operator, you are saying that anyone who
thinks that one mode is better than another is a bad operator (unless they
say that your preferred mode is better). I have never heard such idiotic
cr*p in my entire life.

My only reason for preferring phone is that I like to use radio to talk. If
you prefer to make bleeping noises instead I could't care less. If you were
into SSTV, or PSK31 or what-have-you I would say that was fine too. On the
whole, I would say that comparisons of bandwidth, throughput, signal-to-
noise etc were only valid within one type of information, whether it is
phone, or data or video, or whatever.

You said, and I quote "phone ops are lids" and then, partially recanting
"not all phone ops are lids. Just the ones that think phone is better than
CW". Well, I am a phone op and I think that phone is not surprisingly
better at carrying voice information than CW is.

You know what, though, you are the lid.

Alun, N3KIP

Dan/W4NTI May 3rd 04 10:38 PM

"William" wrote in message
m...

. ..

"N2EY" wrote in message
[...]

Not so William. I have had that opinion for 40 years now.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI May 3rd 04 10:40 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
[...]

And I think your a lid. Now what?

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI May 4th 04 01:40 AM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...

"N2EY" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, and one more thing Alun. Why is it you don't think CW (Morse Code) is
talking ? Do you think we just sit in front of the radio and send random
characters? Or even random words?

Comunications is the 'exchange of information'. Are you actually that
ignorant Alun?

Dan/W4NTI

Alun May 4th 04 01:52 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
[...]

recanting "not all phone ops are lids. Just the ones that think phone
is better than CW". Well, I am a phone op and I think that phone is
not surprisingly better at carrying voice information than CW is.

You know what, though, you are the lid.

Alun, N3KIP

And I think your a lid. Now what?

Dan/W4NTI

At least we know where we stand

Alun May 4th 04 01:55 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not talking to you now either, just typing on a keyboard

Do you think we just sit in front of the radio and
send random characters? Or even random words?

I've never listened to you in QSO - you might for all I know

Comunications is the 'exchange of information'. Are you actually that
ignorant Alun?

Dan/W4NTI

Talking is communications, but not necessarily vicea versa

William May 4th 04 11:20 AM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message link.net...
"William" wrote in message
m...
Alun wrote in message

. ..

At last your real agenda comes out, Dan. Somehow. I'm not surprised. You
want the code test kept because you consider all of us phone ops to be
lids.

Alun, N3KIP

Alun, that come out with this bozo's 1st post about 2 years ago.
About the same time he buddy'd up with Bruce.

Not so William. I have had that opinion for 40 years now.

Dan/W4NTI

I didn't say that you formed your opinion about 2 years ago, I just
stated that it come out here about 2 years ago. It's your problem
that you've been tormented by such ideas for so long. God bless you.