Old April 27th 04, 01:34 PM
Mike Coslo

Default Morse and Contests

Idly musing, I thought of this a few moments ago. It isn't a CW testing
question, but is related by being a CW operating question.

With the likely demise of Morse code testing, is there any reason to
have contests give double the points for Morse code contacts?

While of course all contest rules are inherently arbitrary, does it
make sense to have one mode of contact be "more equal" than others?

Put another way, if you think that CW contacts should be worth double
points, is it fair to have say, PSK31 contacts worth the same double
points such as in Field day? Our GOTA station racked up a fair number of
points operating PSK31, and it was certainly no more difficult than
operating Phone.

I've seen a number of cases where a phone operator has worked hard and
logged a lot of QSO's, only to be beaten by a CW op with little more
than half that number.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 27th 04, 06:45 PM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: Morse and Contests
From: Mike Coslo
Date: 4/27/2004 7:34 AM Central Standard Time
Idly musing, I thought of this a few moments ago. It isn't a CW testing

question, but is related by being a CW operating question.

With the likely demise of Morse code testing, is there any reason to
have contests give double the points for Morse code contacts?

Sure...why not? It requires some REAL skill to do. In this regard, as in
any other pursuit in life, greater skill should be rewarded.

While of course all contest rules are inherently arbitrary, does it
make sense to have one mode of contact be "more equal" than others?

Not "more equal"...Just better compensation.

As a Nurse with my experience, credentials and skills, I expect to be
compensated accordiningly. So why not be "compensated" in a contest that
required using honed skills, too...?!?!

Put another way, if you think that CW contacts should be worth double
points, is it fair to have say, PSK31 contacts worth the same double
points such as in Field day? Our GOTA station racked up a fair number of
points operating PSK31, and it was certainly no more difficult than
operating Phone.

And how long would it take a "new" Ham to master using a keyboard?

I've seen a number of cases where a phone operator has worked hard and
logged a lot of QSO's, only to be beaten by a CW op with little more
than half that number.

Shudda been on the paddles!

Seriously, though...Most contests differentiatemodes in awards...

Steve, K4YZ

Old April 27th 04, 07:22 PM
Mike Coslo

From: Mike Coslo
Date: 4/27/2004 7:34 AM Central Standard Time
Idly musing, I thought of this a few moments ago. It isn't a CW testing

question, but is related by being a CW operating question.

With the likely demise of Morse code testing, is there any reason to
have contests give double the points for Morse code contacts?

Sure...why not? It requires some REAL skill to do. In this regard, as in
any other pursuit in life, greater skill should be rewarded.

True it does take some skill. But if we use Field day as an example,
there is so much else going on that I find it hard to make special
compensations for certain modes.

I would make an exception for "demonstration modes" such as the lesser
used modes such as sat ops, feld-hell, etc. I'd use these as multipliers
though.

While of course all contest rules are inherently arbitrary, does it
make sense to have one mode of contact be "more equal" than others?

Not "more equal"...Just better compensation.

As a Nurse with my experience, credentials and skills, I expect to be
compensated accordiningly. So why not be "compensated" in a contest that
required using honed skills, too...?!?!

Put another way, if you think that CW contacts should be worth double
points, is it fair to have say, PSK31 contacts worth the same double
points such as in Field day? Our GOTA station racked up a fair number of
points operating PSK31, and it was certainly no more difficult than
operating Phone.

And how long would it take a "new" Ham to master using a keyboard?

We had a kid come on and operate psk31 almost immediately. It was
amazing. I had picked it up quickly, but I did some reading beforehand.
This young fellow was operating like a pro in no time. In fact, I'm
modifying the setup for next year to allow more of the PSK frequencies
for the GOTA. The kid was transfixed, and sat patiently working 14.070
until he had worked the band clean.

I've seen a number of cases where a phone operator has worked hard and
logged a lot of QSO's, only to be beaten by a CW op with little more
than half that number.

Shudda been on the paddles!

hehe

Seriously, though...Most contests differentiatemodes in awards...

Just seems like the ones I participate in give double for the CW. I'll
need to look some more.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 27th 04, 08:31 PM
Jack Twilley

Old April 27th 04, 09:06 PM
Robert Casey

Mike Coslo wrote:

Many if not most contests are mode specific. Like the "whatever CW
sprint" or
"North European SSB contest"..... Or RTTY events.

Old April 27th 04, 09:08 PM
Robert Casey

And how hard did that CW op work?

Well some of us here could do it while driving a bus. I wouldn't recomment
it, as if something happened that driver would be in deep do-do.....

Old April 27th 04, 09:14 PM
KØHB

"Robert Casey" wrote

Many if not most contests are mode specific. Like the

"whatever CW
sprint" or "North European SSB contest"..... Or RTTY events.

We allow 2 points for CW, 2 points for RTTY, and 1 point for
phone. See http://www.w0aa.org/mnqp/2004/mnqprule.html

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
SOC # 291 http://www.qsl.net/soc/
FISTS # 7419 http://www.fists.org

Old April 27th 04, 09:34 PM
Jack Twilley

Old April 27th 04, 10:43 PM
N2EY

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
Idly musing, I thought of this a few moments ago. It isn't a CW testing
question, but is related by being a CW operating question.

With the likely demise of Morse code testing, is there any reason to
have contests give double the points for Morse code contacts?

Yep. In fact it should be triple for CW and double for data modes.

While of course all contest rules are inherently arbitrary, does it
make sense to have one mode of contact be "more equal" than others?

Sure - if that mode uses less spectrum space and is more efficient.

Put another way, if you think that CW contacts should be worth double
points, is it fair to have say, PSK31 contacts worth the same double
points such as in Field day? Our GOTA station racked up a fair number of
points operating PSK31, and it was certainly no more difficult than
operating Phone.

It's more than fair. If anything the slant is towards 'phone because
you can put almost anybody in front of the mike after a few minutes
instruction and they can make FD QSOs (particularly if there's a
'logger' sitting right there).

Working CW takes special skills, working PSK-31 takes more equipment
and some skill (not as much as CW, of course, but more than 'phone).
Both modes use much less spectrum space and are more efficient. So
their use should be encouraged on Field Day (which is about the only
large mixed-mode HF contest in existence).

I've seen a number of cases where a phone operator has worked hard and
logged a lot of QSO's, only to be beaten by a CW op with little more
than half that number.

Said CW op also worked hard, did he not? And is "hard work" the
criteria, or effectiveness? You can fit at least 10 CW or PSK QSOs in
the space of one SSB QSO. Shouldn't that sort of efficiency be
encouraged?

73 de Jim, N2EY