Old May 9th 04, 02:13 PM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Default Cingular Warns Of Weather Related Limitations In Hurricaine Areas

Hello Everyone,

I picked this up off of my listserver group "CitizenSoldiers" on
YahooGroups. I find it interesting that Cingular
actually went to the effort of acknowledging thier limitations. I wish they'd
actually said something to the effect of
"if ya ain't bleeding or drowning, stay off the phone"......

73

Steve, K4YZ

QUOTE

Cingular Wireless Recommends an Emergency Communications Plan

SAN ANTONIO, May 5 /PRNewswire/ -- The 2004 hurricane season is about to
begin and Cingular Wireless wants consumers to be armed with the knowledge they
need
before a hurricane or severe weather hits. Consumers need to understand what
to expect when they use their cell phones or other wireless devices during an
emergency
and what they can do to prepare. Cingular is offering consumers some simple
tips to help maximize their wireless service during an emergency situation.

"Taking the time to plan now can make a considerable difference in how much a
hurricane or any severe weather affects your family or business," says Andy
Shibley, vice president and general manager for Cingular Wireless in South
Texas. "Any emergency plan should include a communications component, too, so
that
every member of the family knows who to contact if they get separated."

There are many weather-related events that can put you in a dangerous
situation if you are not ready. According to the National Hurricane Center,
hurricane
hazards take many forms: storm surges, tornadoes, high winds, and flooding.
By understanding the potential dangers, you can ensure your family is ready.

What can you do to prepare yourself before severe weather hits?

* Program in all of your emergency contact numbers. Program in 9-1-1, the
police department, fire station and hospital contact numbers as well as
your family members into your cell phone so you don't have to think
about it during and after an emergency.

* Have a family communications plan in place. Designate someone out of
the area as a central contact, and make certain all family members know
who to contact if they become separated.

* Keep your wireless phone batteries charged at all times. Have an
alternate plan to recharge your battery in case of power outages.

* Keep your wireless phone dry. The biggest threat from hurricanes is
water versus wind damage so keep your equipment safe from the elements.

* Forward your home number to your wireless number in the event of an
evacuation. Since call forwarding is based out of the telephone central
office, you will get incoming calls from your landline phone, even if
your local telephone service is disrupted at your home. In the unlikely
event the central office is isolated, call forwarding may not work.

* Consider additional cell phones for your family's use. If you want to
add additional cell phones to your wireless service, remember to do so
prior to the emergency.

What can you expect from your wireless service during severe weather?

* Remember, wireless phones are complex radios. Your wireless call
travels over airwaves to another phone, and just like radios, wireless
calls can be obstructed by bad weather.

* It is important for consumers to keep in mind that during an emergency,
many more people are trying to use their cell phones at the same time
when compared to normal calling activity. When more people try to call
at the same time, the increased calling volume may create network
congestion. Network congestion can cause "fast busy" signals from
wireless phones during times of heavy wireless phone usage, such as
during an emergency. Customers may even receive a message that says,
"Your call cannot be completed at this time." If you hear this message,
simply hang up, wait a few seconds and retry.

What can you do to get through to loved ones during an emergency?

* Try short/text messaging service (SMS). More than 70 percent of
Cingular phones are SMS capable. Also, if you have a wireless data
device such as a BlackBerry, you can use its messaging capabilities to
communicate. Depending on your call plan, additional charges may apply.

* Use a landline phone if it is available. In many instances, landline
service may still be available in your area so this still may be an
option.

* Keep non-emergency calls to a minimum; limit your calls to the most
important ones. Chances are that if there is severe weather, many
people will be attempting to place wireless calls to loved ones,
friends and business associates. If the landline phones are not
working, this probability increases.

* Wait 10 seconds before redialing: If you do hang up before your call
has gone through, pause before you redial. This allows your original
call data to clear the network before you try again.

UNQUOTE

Old May 9th 04, 02:41 PM
Mike Coslo

Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I picked this up off of my listserver group "CitizenSoldiers" on
YahooGroups. I find it interesting that Cingular
actually went to the effort of acknowledging thier limitations. I wish they'd
actually said something to the effect of
"if ya ain't bleeding or drowning, stay off the phone"......

I had to chuckle that you are supposed to stay off the phone, but are
supposed to buy more cell phones!!!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 9th 04, 02:46 PM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: Cingular Warns Of Weather Related Limitations In Hurricaine
Areas
From: Mike Coslo
Date: 5/9/2004 8:41 AM Central Standard Time

I had to chuckle that you are supposed to stay off the phone, but are
supposed to buy more cell phones!!!

Good ole capitalism at work!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old May 9th 04, 04:07 PM
KØHB

"Mike Coslo" wrote

I picked this up off of my listserver group "CitizenSoldiers" on
YahooGroups. I find it interesting that Cingular
actually went to the effort of acknowledging thier limitations.
I wish they'd actually said something to the effect of
"if ya ain't bleeding or drowning, stay off the phone"......

I had to chuckle that you are supposed to stay off the phone, but are
supposed to buy more cell phones!!!

This isn't something new nor is it specifically related to wireless
phones. The 'wired' phone system has also been saying exactly the same
thing since Moby Dick was a minnow. "During emergencies (bad weather or
whatever) our systems may be overloaded by the surge of callers."
Obviously (as Cingular correctly points out) the wireless infrastructure
has an increased level of vulnerability over a strictly 'hardwired'
phone system of yore. No surprise there! The Cingular instructions seem
to me honest, useful, and corporately responsible.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 9th 04, 06:36 PM
Jim Hampton

Hello, Mike

Yep, I *love* that suggestion about programming in 911. Now, instead of
having to hit three buttons (9-1-1), you simply hit "memory-0-1".

Wow! I *am* impressed )

I also like the idea about buying more cell phones. If the lines are all
busy due to overloading, you have your whole family try dialing on 10 cell
phones. You increase your chances *ten* times! Reminder to self: go buy
100 lottery tickets; instead of 1 chance in 12 million, I'd have one chance
in 120 thousand. Golly gee. Who'd have thunk?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I picked this up off of my listserver group "CitizenSoldiers" on
YahooGroups. I find it interesting that Cingular
actually went to the effort of acknowledging thier limitations. I wish

they'd
actually said something to the effect of
"if ya ain't bleeding or drowning, stay off the phone"......

I had to chuckle that you are supposed to stay off the phone, but are
supposed to buy more cell phones!!!

- Mike KB3EIA -

---

Old May 9th 04, 10:25 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I picked this up off of my listserver group "CitizenSoldiers" on
YahooGroups. I find it interesting that Cingular
actually went to the effort of acknowledging thier limitations. I wish

they'd
actually said something to the effect of
"if ya ain't bleeding or drowning, stay off the phone"......

I had to chuckle that you are supposed to stay off the phone, but are
supposed to buy more cell phones!!!

- Mike KB3EIA -

I am ready. I got rid of my cell phones 3 years ago. And now have two
pieces of wire connected to tacks on a plywood base. These are all hooked
to a ham CW transmitter.

Oh no...that won't work either. No one knows the code anymore.

Technology....ain't it wonderful?

Dan/W4NTI

Old May 9th 04, 10:27 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"KØHB" wrote in message
link.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote

[...]

In other words....a world class CYA situation.

Dan/W4NTI

Old May 10th 04, 02:31 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote

[...]

I dunno, "Buy more cell phones but don't use them because lot's of
people are using them". just doesn't sit well with me.

If a person has limited funds for emergency preparedness, would it be
better to spend that money on extra cell phones that they "should not" -
or more likely can't use, or maybe things like flashlights, food, water,
batteries.

We have 2 cell phones. They are there, but aren't a part of my
emergency plans.

Other than that, their piece is okay.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 10th 04, 02:46 AM
Mike Coslo

Jim Hampton wrote:

Hello, Mike

Yep, I *love* that suggestion about programming in 911. Now, instead of
having to hit three buttons (9-1-1), you simply hit "memory-0-1".

Wow! I *am* impressed )

hehe. Just like I have said on other subjects, you can't make things
easy enough for some people. Even if the convenience insn't any more
convenient.

I also like the idea about buying more cell phones. If the lines are all
busy due to overloading, you have your whole family try dialing on 10 cell
phones. You increase your chances *ten* times! Reminder to self: go buy
100 lottery tickets; instead of 1 chance in 12 million, I'd have one chance
in 120 thousand. Golly gee. Who'd have thunk?

That is an important consideration. When there is an emergency, such as
ice storm or hurricane or the like, it is incredibly compelling. Parents
want to call their parents, big sis wants to call her best friend to see
if she is alright, and little brother want's to compare freaky disaster
notes with his bud's.

If you've ever been in one, it is almost impossible to resist. You know
that loved ones are worried sick about your predicament, and if you have
a family of 3, and 3 cell phones, I'll wager that all three will be tried.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

And from your QTH, I know you've been involved in some wethear
disasters lately! 8^) We've hade them here in State College over the
last 10 years, and cell service has gone out almost immediately. More
cell phones will simply put it out of commission a few seconds quicker.

- mike KB3EIA -