RadioBanter

-   -   CW Testing Question (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27528-cw-testing-question.html)

Mike Coslo May 19th 04 03:50 PM

CW Testing Question

If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Bert Craig May 19th 04 05:21 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

That'll likely happen, Mike. If and when Element 1 is retained solely for
the Extra, I suspect the Extra CW sub-bands will become a pretty crowded
place. Kinda silly as those who won't (Not can't.) learn CW won't be on any
CW sub-bands.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

Tony P. May 19th 04 06:45 PM

In article , says...
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

We do that now. Those of us who did our element 1C are just a tiny bit
peeved that people got upgraded to Extra and didn't have to take the
test.

I needle a buddy of mine about it all the time. He got his 'extra' when
the rules changed, having already passed the 4B test. I got my extra in
1993.

Len Over 21 May 19th 04 11:44 PM

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Because then they couldn't call themselves "Pro CW Testing
Amateurs." :-)

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

I disagree. It would be Removal of Amateur Radio As They Know It
and they won't, can't have that. Blasphemy against the Church
of St. Hiram.

Liken this period of time to the Dark Days of the Catholic Church.
The late Don Stoner (the "S" in SGC Corporation*, makers of the
SG-2020 HF transceiver) may be the counterpart of a Martin Luther
from his editorial (quoted by Hans Brakob many times) in nailing
"theses" to the "church door...or the NECVEC petition (RM-10870)
may be part of that also.

"Tradition" of always having a code test for amateurism is so firmly
implanted (or brain-washed into) in minds that any suggestion of
removal of the code test is considered by those PCTA as heresy,
almost an abomination to some god.

Amateur radio = radiotelegraphy is an equation which those
stubborn soles of see-double-you require all to walk on.

* The "G" of SGC, Pierre Goral, passed on several months ago.

LHA / WMD

Dan/W4NTI May 19th 04 11:56 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because we can do that right now Mike. I don't consider it being elitist to
want to continue with a known effective mode. Those that want to get rid of
it are world class fools.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI May 19th 04 11:58 PM

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
et...
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

That'll likely happen, Mike. If and when Element 1 is retained solely for
the Extra, I suspect the Extra CW sub-bands will become a pretty crowded
place. Kinda silly as those who won't (Not can't.) learn CW won't be on

any
CW sub-bands.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

I've been a Extra for 30 years now. I hardly ever operate in the exclusive
subbands, either phone or cw. But here lately I have been.

I have no problem with leaving 50 khz per band for CW.

Dan/W4NTI

Len Over 21 May 20th 04 05:49 AM

In article . net,
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com writes:

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because we can do that right now Mike. I don't consider it being elitist to
want to continue with a known effective mode. Those that want to get rid of
it are world class fools.

The REST OF THE RADIO WORLD GOT RID OF TELEGRAPHY.

Are all those other radio services "fools" that they got rid of
radiotelegraphy?

I guess you think so. shrug

How's your therapy coming along?

LHA / WMD

Steve Robeson, K4CAP May 20th 04 09:38 PM

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...
In article . net,
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com writes:

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because we can do that right now Mike. I don't consider it being elitist to
want to continue with a known effective mode. Those that want to get rid of
it are world class fools.

The REST OF THE RADIO WORLD GOT RID OF TELEGRAPHY.

"THE REST OF THE RADIO WORLD" is NOT "Amateur Radio"

The purpose, practice and applications are NOT the same.

Are all those other radio services "fools" that they got rid of
radiotelegraphy?

Those "other radio services" are NOT "Amateur Radio".

I guess you think so. shrug

How's your therapy coming along?

Why is it that everyone who disagrees with you allegedly needs
"therapy"..?

It might be because YOU need it and are trying to deny it by
alledging everyone BUT you needs it.

Naaaaaaa...you're just a putz. Proven.

Steve, K4YZ