RadioBanter

-   -   CW Testing Question (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27528-cw-testing-question.html)

Mike Coslo May 19th 04 03:50 PM

CW Testing Question

If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Bert Craig May 19th 04 05:21 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

That'll likely happen, Mike. If and when Element 1 is retained solely for
the Extra, I suspect the Extra CW sub-bands will become a pretty crowded
place. Kinda silly as those who won't (Not can't.) learn CW won't be on any
CW sub-bands.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

Tony P. May 19th 04 06:45 PM

In article , says...
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

We do that now. Those of us who did our element 1C are just a tiny bit
peeved that people got upgraded to Extra and didn't have to take the
test.

I needle a buddy of mine about it all the time. He got his 'extra' when
the rules changed, having already passed the 4B test. I got my extra in
1993.

Len Over 21 May 19th 04 11:44 PM

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Because then they couldn't call themselves "Pro CW Testing
Amateurs." :-)

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

I disagree. It would be Removal of Amateur Radio As They Know It
and they won't, can't have that. Blasphemy against the Church
of St. Hiram.

Liken this period of time to the Dark Days of the Catholic Church.
The late Don Stoner (the "S" in SGC Corporation*, makers of the
SG-2020 HF transceiver) may be the counterpart of a Martin Luther
from his editorial (quoted by Hans Brakob many times) in nailing
"theses" to the "church door...or the NECVEC petition (RM-10870)
may be part of that also.

"Tradition" of always having a code test for amateurism is so firmly
implanted (or brain-washed into) in minds that any suggestion of
removal of the code test is considered by those PCTA as heresy,
almost an abomination to some god.

Amateur radio = radiotelegraphy is an equation which those
stubborn soles of see-double-you require all to walk on.

* The "G" of SGC, Pierre Goral, passed on several months ago.

LHA / WMD

Dan/W4NTI May 19th 04 11:56 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because we can do that right now Mike. I don't consider it being elitist to
want to continue with a known effective mode. Those that want to get rid of
it are world class fools.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI May 19th 04 11:58 PM

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
et...
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

That'll likely happen, Mike. If and when Element 1 is retained solely for
the Extra, I suspect the Extra CW sub-bands will become a pretty crowded
place. Kinda silly as those who won't (Not can't.) learn CW won't be on

any
CW sub-bands.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

I've been a Extra for 30 years now. I hardly ever operate in the exclusive
subbands, either phone or cw. But here lately I have been.

I have no problem with leaving 50 khz per band for CW.

Dan/W4NTI

Len Over 21 May 20th 04 05:49 AM

In article . net,
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com writes:

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because we can do that right now Mike. I don't consider it being elitist to
want to continue with a known effective mode. Those that want to get rid of
it are world class fools.

The REST OF THE RADIO WORLD GOT RID OF TELEGRAPHY.

Are all those other radio services "fools" that they got rid of
radiotelegraphy?

I guess you think so. shrug

How's your therapy coming along?

LHA / WMD

Steve Robeson, K4CAP May 20th 04 09:38 PM

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...
In article . net,
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com writes:

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because we can do that right now Mike. I don't consider it being elitist to
want to continue with a known effective mode. Those that want to get rid of
it are world class fools.

The REST OF THE RADIO WORLD GOT RID OF TELEGRAPHY.

"THE REST OF THE RADIO WORLD" is NOT "Amateur Radio"

The purpose, practice and applications are NOT the same.

Are all those other radio services "fools" that they got rid of
radiotelegraphy?

Those "other radio services" are NOT "Amateur Radio".

I guess you think so. shrug

How's your therapy coming along?

Why is it that everyone who disagrees with you allegedly needs
"therapy"..?

It might be because YOU need it and are trying to deny it by
alledging everyone BUT you needs it.

Naaaaaaa...you're just a putz. Proven.

Steve, K4YZ

William May 20th 04 11:10 PM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message link.net...
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because we can do that right now Mike. I don't consider it being elitist to
want to continue with a known effective mode. Those that want to get rid of
it are world class fools.

Dan/W4NTI

DAN, Dan, dan, it is the -EXAM- that we are getting rid of. If we got
rid of the psk practical exam, would you think we are trying to get
rid of the mode?

N2EY May 21st 04 01:05 PM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message hlink.net...
"Bert Craig" wrote in message
et...
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

That'll likely happen, Mike. If and when Element 1 is retained solely for
the Extra, I suspect the Extra CW sub-bands will become a pretty crowded
place. Kinda silly as those who won't (Not can't.) learn CW won't be on

any
CW sub-bands.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

I've been a Extra for 30 years now. I hardly ever operate in the exclusive
subbands, either phone or cw. But here lately I have been.

I have no problem with leaving 50 khz per band for CW.

We don't have that now! On HF/MF, there are *no* CW-only subbands.

I think such subbands are a very good idea. Something like this:

CW-only subbands:

160 meters: 1800-1850 kHz
80 meters: 3500-3575 kHz
40 meters: 7000-7050 kHz
30 meters: 10100-10120 kHz
20 meters: 14000-14075 kHz
17 meters: 18068-18088 kHz
15 meters: 21000-21075 kHz
12 meters: 24890-24910 kHz
10 meters: 28000-28100 kHz

Bottom 25 kHz of 80/40/20/15 reserved for Extras. Rest is available to
all other classes of license. CW would still be legal outside these
subbands but observance of the subbands would be encouraged as good
operating practice.

Why not?

You'd think that such a move would be offered by at least some of the
nocodetest folks...

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo May 21st 04 02:28 PM

N2EY wrote:
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message hlink.net...

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry Jim, they are busy with trying to lower the test requirements
right now.

After all the Technicians are freebied up to General, they'll turn
their attentions to those pesky and annoying gentleman's agreements for
CW portions.

I'll bet you a pepperoni and cheese pizza that their bandplans will
look quite different than yours. Theirs will be much simpler!

The rationale will be that it is SO much trouble for people to keep
within bandplans that it is a big headache for hams to keep track of
where they are supposed to be. And why do those CW people get half our
bands anyhow?

The most amusing part will be when Carl and Bill show up with their
spin on how it *isn't* a spectrum grab.

But you know, I suspect that in the brave new world of
post-restructuring ARS, that the new hams will simply do squatters
rights on the bandplan. It's only an agreement, so what can we do if
they decide to work there?

I wonder when the first CW segment SSB contest will be held?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Alun May 21st 04 04:50 PM

Mike Coslo wrote in :

N2EY wrote:
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
v.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

I've never pretended I don't want more phone spectrum, but there again, I
have no connection with NCI either.

There are a couple of different issues here, and they are getting mixed up.
As a phone operator, it annoys me that the FCC rules give me _smaller_
subbands than in the gentleman's agreement known as the IARU Region 2
(North & South America) bandplan (not the one drawn up by the Antiquated
Radio Relay League, which of course is a subset of the FCC rules, as they
couldn't very well suggest illegal operation).

Repealing code testing will put more people on HF who don't do CW, although
some of them will be into PSK31, etc., so there will be more pressure to do
something about this. I actually agree that NCI is not the appropriate
vehicle for that, unless the name were changed? I also agree that they said
they would go away when they won, but I'm not them.

From the CW perspective, no doubt the CW segments of any bandplan are less
than the sum total of the FCC CW and data allocations, but the data guys
have to have somewhere to go! Do you really need CW only segments to
protect yourselves from them? (I don't know the answer, this is a genuine
question, and I'm not a data person so I really have no axe to grind).

If you do think that, and that may be a reasonable position to take, I only
have one point of disagreement. Above 1842 is available to phone in the
160m bandplan, and no I'm not talking about the League, I mean the IARU
bandplan again. Since 1810-1850 is the amateur exclusive part of the band,
it just wouldn't be right for all of that to be reserved for CW (although
you could have more CW somewhere else as far as I am concerned). 8 kHz is
not too much to ask for as a DX window for phone, and at least the FCC
doesn't prohibit it even of the League have failed to recognise it. If you
ask the FCC to prohibit phone there, then you can be sure I will file a
comment to the contrary.

Alun, N3KIP

N2EY May 21st 04 05:49 PM

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

The short answer is "because we're not 'elitist snobs' and our feet
are not 'firmly planted in the past'

The longer, more accurate answer is that it's not as simple as some
folks would like you to think.

For some, it really is "just about the code test". But for others, the
real issue is something variously called 'standards' or
'achievements'. That's where the real disagreement is. And it comes
out in a whole bunch of ways.

For example, how often have you heard the buzzphrases "it's a hobby"
or "it's just a hobby" or similar, given as an argument against some
requirement or another? Think about what the person pushing those
phrases really means. They're usually *not* saying "it's not a job".
Instead, what they're really saying is "don't expect much" or even
"don't expect anything".

Look at how the *written* exams have changed over the years, despite
claims that "it's just about the code test". Yet we have vocal support
for free upgrades and further written test reductions.

Did you see the article on "is training class efficient?" which
detailed a one-day-to-Tech cram course? They boasted an 85% success
rate - meaning that after just one day of class, 85% of their students
passed the Tech test. This was done by rote memorization of the
written exam question pool. Is this really what's best for the future
of the ARS? Some folks think so!

When you see arguments for "one class of license" ask "with what
requirements?" - but don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

When you see people railing about "standards and requirements of the
1930s", ask what they propose as the "standards and requirements of
the 2000s" - but again, don't hold your breath waiting for a detailed
answer.

Some folks don't think there should be *any* standards or requirements
beyond a bare bones set of rules and regs from FCC. Of course we know
what happens in a radio service where that is the norm. It isn't
pretty.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Len Over 21 May 21st 04 07:19 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because we can do that right now Mike. I don't consider it being elitist

want to continue with a known effective mode. Those that want to get rid

of
it are world class fools.

Dan/W4NTI

DAN, Dan, dan, it is the -EXAM- that we are getting rid of. If we got
rid of the psk practical exam, would you think we are trying to get
rid of the mode?

He doesn't understand that or cannot comprehend it. :-)

Everyone is a "fool" who is not a radiotelegrapher...

He needs therapy to understand the modern world.

LHA / WMD

Len Over 21 May 21st 04 07:20 PM

In article ,
(Stevie the gunnery nurse) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article . net,
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com writes:

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because we can do that right now Mike. I don't consider it being elitist

want to continue with a known effective mode. Those that want to get rid

of
it are world class fools.

The REST OF THE RADIO WORLD GOT RID OF TELEGRAPHY.

"THE REST OF THE RADIO WORLD" is NOT "Amateur Radio"

That's what I wrote. You got it. Finally.

The purpose, practice and applications are NOT the same.

Yes, quite. The rest of the radio world isn't anal-retentive about
radiotelegraphy. They've gone beyond that. :-)

Are all those other radio services "fools" that they got rid of
radiotelegraphy?

Those "other radio services" are NOT "Amateur Radio".

Okay, so where are all the "fools" that Dan was talking about?

Could it be that the "fools" are those IN amateur radio who are
championing radiotelegraphy?

[oh, my, what a disturbing thought THAT is! :-) ]

I guess you think so. shrug

How's your therapy coming along?

Why is it that everyone who disagrees with you allegedly needs
"therapy"..?

Dan wants me to go elsewhere and DIE! That's serious mental
aberation.

It might be because YOU need it and are trying to deny it by
alledging everyone BUT you needs it.

So far, only yourself and Danny Boy have wanted me DEAD. :-)

I'm far from that...but I'm not wishing that on anyone else.

Primitive sociopaths want all who disagree with them to die or
otherwise disappear. They cannot abide opposite opinions.
Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Naaaaaaa...you're just a putz. Proven.

The gunnery nurse is back off his tranqs into abusive,
uncivil behavior. Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk! :-)

LHA / WMD

Dan/W4NTI May 21st 04 08:32 PM

om...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because we can do that right now Mike. I don't consider it being

elitist to
want to continue with a known effective mode. Those that want to get

rid of
it are world class fools.

Dan/W4NTI

DAN, Dan, dan, it is the -EXAM- that we are getting rid of. If we got
rid of the psk practical exam, would you think we are trying to get
rid of the mode?

There is no psk practical exam. The ONLY PRACTICAL exam we have in ham
radio is the CW TEST. Most of the rest is mainly BS memorization, that for
the most part is not even relevant to real world ham radio.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI May 21st 04 08:34 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
m...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

hlink.net...
"Bert Craig" wrote in message
et...
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
[...]

I like it. And of course not.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI May 21st 04 08:36 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
N2EY wrote:
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

hlink.net...

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

And I wonder how a DSP filter will handle a drifty, chirping CW signal?

Dan/W4NTI

Mike Coslo May 22nd 04 03:01 AM

N2EY wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

The short answer is "because we're not 'elitist snobs' and our feet
are not 'firmly planted in the past'

The longer, more accurate answer is that it's not as simple as some
folks would like you to think.

For some, it really is "just about the code test". But for others, the
real issue is something variously called 'standards' or
'achievements'. That's where the real disagreement is. And it comes
out in a whole bunch of ways.

For me, it is about standards.

For example, how often have you heard the buzzphrases "it's a hobby"
or "it's just a hobby" or similar, given as an argument against some
requirement or another? Think about what the person pushing those
phrases really means. They're usually *not* saying "it's not a job".
Instead, what they're really saying is "don't expect much" or even
"don't expect anything".

Right. "Mongo say Learning BAD"!

Look at how the *written* exams have changed over the years, despite
claims that "it's just about the code test". Yet we have vocal support
for free upgrades and further written test reductions.

Did you see the article on "is training class efficient?" which
detailed a one-day-to-Tech cram course? They boasted an 85% success
rate - meaning that after just one day of class, 85% of their students
passed the Tech test. This was done by rote memorization of the
written exam question pool. Is this really what's best for the future
of the ARS? Some folks think so!

This is what almost all university students do. It's "cramming". And it
kind of works. The "kind of" part is that the knowledge does not make it
into long term memory. So while a person can take and pass a test using
this method, the knowledge gained goes away right after the test for the
most part.

But it isn't the fault of question pools - it is how they are used. I
used the pools and on line tests when I went for my tickets. First thing
I did was take an on line test. Then with the aid of the pool, reference
books and even the web, I looked up the answers to the questions that I
missed. I kept taking tests, and kept going back and learning what I missed.

By the time I was finished, I KNEW the answers, and it wasn't from
memorization, save the band edge stuff.

I put forth the proposition that it is just as easy to cram with
textbooks as it is with question pools. I can read a textbook as easily
as I can a question pool. It is all a question of how we use th etools
we are given. And no one can control that.

When you see arguments for "one class of license" ask "with what
requirements?" - but don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

I like one class - Amateur Extra.

When you see people railing about "standards and requirements of the
1930s", ask what they propose as the "standards and requirements of
the 2000s" - but again, don't hold your breath waiting for a detailed
answer.

Some folks don't think there should be *any* standards or requirements
beyond a bare bones set of rules and regs from FCC. Of course we know
what happens in a radio service where that is the norm. It isn't
pretty.

Amazing that some of those people are otherwise smart.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo May 22nd 04 03:02 AM

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

N2EY wrote:

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

hlink.net...

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
. cv.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

I've never tried it, but I suspect that it might be a great method to
make the signal go away?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Dee D. Flint May 27th 04 01:56 AM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
N2EY wrote:
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

hlink.net...

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

Mike, it sounds like you are confusing band plans and regulated segment
divistions. The HF bands have segments where only CW and data modes are
allowed by regulation. Phone and slow scan TV cannot be used at all in
those segments. However there is the "gentleman's agreement band plan"
layered on top of that. For example, in the CW/data portion, RTTY is
operated in certain segments by agreement. Up in the phone portions, the
SST enthusiasts operate in certain segments by agreement. If new hams try
to operate voice outside the voice segments on HF, they will not only be in
violation of the bandplans but will be in violation of FCC regulations,
which could cost them their licenses.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Kim W5TIT May 27th 04 03:59 AM

Wahoo! It's been a long, long time! But, I'll be checking back in now and
then...

Kim W5TIT

Jack Twilley May 27th 04 06:53 AM

N2EY May 27th 04 12:58 PM

wrote in message ...
Wahoo! It's been a long, long time! But, I'll be checking back in now and
then...

Welcome back, Kim.

Hope the new home is all you expected it to be.

73 de Jim, N2EY

William May 27th 04 03:11 PM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message ...
Wahoo! It's been a long, long time! But, I'll be checking back in now and
then...

Kim W5TIT

Kim, Larry's been gone since you left. Group has just about
disintegrated. PCTA's have all but imploded. Otherwise, same stuff,
different millenium.

bb

Dee D. Flint May 27th 04 04:11 PM

"Jack Twilley" wrote in message
Hmm. Any chance you could provide some citations for these
"gentleman's agreements"? I do not doubt their existence, I'd just
like to find some online pointers to them. Recently I had to ask
around where to find some RTTY so I could test my setup -- if I'd
known about these agreements, I'd have a better chance of finding it
on my own. Also, I'd like to avoid accidentally operating on a
portion of the band which is traditionally for a different type of
mode -- I'm more likely to get a response from a CW CQ if I'm not
calling on the RTTY portion, etc.

www.arrl.org - The website has a page listing the basics
The ARRL Operating Manual
Various ARRL publications on data modes and slow scan TV
For VHF/UHF, the ARRL repeater directory

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Jack Twilley May 27th 04 05:41 PM

Dee D. Flint May 27th 04 06:03 PM

"Jack Twilley" wrote in message

"Dee" == Dee D Flint writes:

Jack Hmm. Any chance you could provide some citations for these
Jack "gentleman's agreements"? I do not doubt their existence, I'd
Jack just like to find some online pointers to them. Recently I had
Jack to ask around where to find some RTTY so I could test my setup
Jack -- if I'd known about these agreements, I'd have a better chance
Jack of finding it on my own. Also, I'd like to avoid accidentally
Jack operating on a portion of the band which is traditionally for a
Jack different type of mode -- I'm more likely to get a response from
Jack a CW CQ if I'm not calling on the RTTY portion, etc.

Dee www.arrl.org - The website has a page listing the basics The ARRL
Dee Operating Manual Various ARRL publications on data modes and slow
Dee scan TV For VHF/UHF, the ARRL repeater directory

I was more interested in URLs to specific agreements. I've cruised
through the website from time to time but I hadn't happened to see
them. I lost my repeater directory in a car accident (how bizarre)
otherwise I'd check the front of that. I'm more interested in HF, of
course, so if you could point me to specific agreements, I'd be
dearly appreciative. Stuff like "weak signal work is done here,
beacons are done there, blah blah blah" are exactly what I'd like to
keep posted in my shack, and this kind of information should be
consolidated in a single source online.

Dee Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I already referenced the web site of the ARRL. All you have to do is enter
the words "band plan" in the box to search the site. Then scroll down until
you see the listing for band plans. I will NOT do this for you. The type
of information you seek is contained on the web page.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ May 27th 04 08:29 PM

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:59:05 -0500, "Kim W5TIT"
wrote:

Wahoo! It's been a long, long time! But, I'll be checking back in now and
then...

Kim W5TIT

Welcome back. I recently rejoined the group here myself, after a
hiatus of several months due to getting fed up with trying to
participate using open servers.

Having just switched to a new ISP that has proper NNTP access, I've
been lurking for a few weeks, amusing myself by reading the running
battle between two of the regulars (you'll no doubt discover that
thread soon enough)...have noticed several of the regulars that I can
remember through the years seem to have vanished. In the case of one
or two of those, you'll probably find that a good thing.

73 DE John D. Kasupski
Tonawanda, New York, USA
Amateur Radio (KC2HMZ), HF/VHF/UHF Monitoring (KNY2VS)
Member ARATS, ARES, RACES, WUN

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ May 27th 04 08:29 PM

On 27 May 2004 07:11:52 -0700, (William) wrote:

Kim, Larry's been gone since you left.

Poor guy...probably heartbroken.

Keyboard In The Noise May 27th 04 10:21 PM

You came back - to news group like this (:-(

Famous quote from Eli Wallach in the Magnificent Seven, The (1960)

--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"

garigue May 27th 04 10:51 PM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
Wahoo! It's been a long, long time! But, I'll be checking back in now

and
then...

Kim W5TIT

Hi Kim ....ya ain't missed a thing ......if fact I am sure your time was
put to better use ...

God Bless .... KI3R Tom

Dan/W4NTI May 28th 04 01:12 AM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
Wahoo! It's been a long, long time! But, I'll be checking back in now

and
then...

Kim W5TIT

Who cares wanna bee hippie.

Dan/W4NTI

William May 28th 04 01:53 AM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message hlink.net...
om...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because we can do that right now Mike. I don't consider it being

elitist to
want to continue with a known effective mode. Those that want to get

rid of
it are world class fools.

Dan/W4NTI

DAN, Dan, dan, it is the -EXAM- that we are getting rid of. If we got
rid of the psk practical exam, would you think we are trying to get
rid of the mode?

There is no psk practical exam.

Well, whaddayaknow? You finally got it.

Since there is no psk practical exam, how can there be psk???

If the Morse Code exam goes away, how can there be CW???

The ONLY PRACTICAL exam we have in ham
radio is the CW TEST.

But it's become imPRACTICAL to continue to exclude people based upon a
Morse Code exam.

Most of the rest is mainly BS memorization, that for
the most part is not even relevant to real world ham radio.

Which is exactly how you got into amateur radio. So now what???

If I said it once, I've said it a thousand times.

"What I fear most about the restructuring is a lack of enforcement,
and what I fear most about maintaining the status quo is a lack of
restructuring."

Most people are basically good. Some aren't. People like Riley are
necessary.

You need to reconcile the hatred you have for your fellow ham.

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ May 28th 04 02:25 AM

On Thu, 27 May 2004 13:03:51 -0400, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

I already referenced the web site of the ARRL. All you have to do is enter
the words "band plan" in the box to search the site. Then scroll down until
you see the listing for band plans. I will NOT do this for you.

OK...then I will:

AMATEUR FREQUENCY OPERATION RECOMMENDATIONS (ARRL Band Plans)
Reprinted from "The Considerate Operator's Frequency Guide",
January 1993 QST, page 61 and the ARRL Repeater Directory.
Copyright 1993 by the American Radio Relay League, Inc.
All rights reserved.

This information is for quick reference only - refer to the
band plan listings in the Operators Manual, The FCC Rule Book
or the ARRL Repeater Directory for full details. For sharing
arrangements, see Section 97.303 of the FCC Rules. For
detailed packet frequencies, see QST, September 1987, page 54
and March 1988, page 51.

160 METERS (1.8-2.0 MHz):
1.800-1.830 CW, RTTY and other narrowband modes
1.830-1.840 CW, RTTY and other narrowband modes,
Intercontinental QSOs only
1.840-1.850 CW, SSB, SSTV, other wideband modes,
Intercontinental QSOs only
1.850-2.000 CW, phone, SSTV and other wideband modes

80 METERS (3.5-4.0 MHz): 40 METERS (7.0-7.3 MHz):
3.590 RTTY DX 7.040 RTTY DX
3.580-3.620 RTTY 7.080-7.100 RTTY
3.620-3.635 Packet 7.171 SSTV
3.790-3.800 DX window 7.290 AM
3.845 SSTV
3.885 AM calling frequency

30 METERS (10.1-10.15 MHz): 17 METERS (18.068-18.168 MHz):
10.130-10.140 RTTY 18.100-18.105 RTTY
10.140-10.150 Packet 18.105-18.110 Packet

20 METERS (14.0-14.35 MHz): 15 METERS (21.0-21.45 MHz):
14.070-14.095 RTTY 21.070-21.090 RTTY
14.095-14.0995 Packet 21.090-21.100 Packet
14.100 NCDXF Beacons 21.340 SSTV
14.1005-14.112 Packet
14.230 SSTV 12 METERS (24.89-24.99 MHz):
14.286 AM calling frequency 24.920-24.925 RTTY
24.925-24.930 Packet

10 METERS (28-29.7 MHz):
28.000-28.070 CW
28.070-28.150 RTTY
28.150-28.190 CW
28.190-28.200 New Beacon subband *
28.200-28.300 Old Beacon subband *
28.300-29.300 Phone
28.680 SSTV
29.000-29.200 AM
29.300-29.510 Satellite Downlinks
29.510-29.590 Repeater Inputs
29.600 FM Simplex
29.610-29.700 Repeater Outputs
* Note: The FCC states in 97.203(d) that automatically controlled
beacons may only operate on 28.20-28.30 MHz.

6 METERS (50-54 MHz):
50.0-50.1 CW, beacons
50.060-50.080 beacon subband
50.1-50.3 SSB, CW
50.10-50.125 DX window
50.125 SSB calling
50.3-50.6 All modes
50.6-50.8 Nonvoice communications
50.62 Digital (packet) calling
50.8-51.0 Radio remote control (20-kHz channels)
51.0-51.1 Pacific DX window
51.12-51.48 Repeater inputs (19 channels)
51.12-51.18 Digital repeater inputs
51.62-51.98 Repeater outputs (19 channels)
51.62-51.68 Digital repeater outputs
52.0-52.48 Repeater inputs (except as noted; 23 channels)
52.02, 52.04 FM simplex
52.2 TEST PAIR (input)
52.5-52.98 Repeater output (except as noted; 23 channels)
52.525 Primary FM simplex
52.54 Secondary FM simplex
52.7 TEST PAIR (output)
53.0-53.48 Repeater inputs (except as noted; 19 channels)
53.0 Remote base FM simplex
53.02 Simplex
53.1, 53.2, Radio remote control
53.3, 53.4
53.5-53.98 Repeater outputs (except as noted; 19 channels)
53.5, 53.6, Radio remote control
53.7, 53.8
53.52-53.9 Simplex
Note: The 6-meter band plan was adopted by the ARRL Board of
Directors at the July 1991 meeting. The band plan is
currently being studied by the ARRL Ad Hoc Spectrum
Management Committee.

2 METERS (144-148 MHz):
144.00-144.05 EME (CW)
144.05-144.10 General CW and weak signals
144.10-144.20 EME and weak-signal SSB
144.200 National calling frequency
144.200-144.275 General SSB operation
144.275-144.300 Propagation beacons
144.30-144.50 New OSCAR subband
144.50-144.60 Linear translator inputs
144.60-144.90 FM repeater inputs
144.90-145.10 Weak signal and FM simplex
(145.01,03,05,07,09 are widely used for packet)
145.10-145.20 Linear translator ouputs
145.20-145.50 FM repeater outputs
145.50-145.80 Miscellaneous and experimental modes
145.80-146.00 OSCAR subband
146.01-147.37 Repeater inputs
146.40-146.58 Simplex
146.61-146.97 Repeater outputs
147.00-147.39 Repeater outputs
147.42-147.57 Simplex
147.60-147.99 Repeater inputs
Notes: The frequency 146.40 MHz is used in some areas as a repeater
input. This band plan has been proposed by the ARRL VHF-UHF
Advisory Committee.

1.25 METERS (222-225 MHz):
222.0-222.150 Weak-signal modes
222.0-222.025 EME
222.05-222.06 Propagation beacons
222.1 SSB & CW calling frequency
222.10-222.15 Weak-signal CW & SSB
222.15-222.25 Local coordinator's option; weak
signal, ACSB, repeater inputs, control
222.25-223.38 FM repeater inputs only
222.40-223.52 FM simplex
223.52-223.64 Digital, packet
223.64-223.70 Links, control
223.71-223.85 Local coordinator's option; FM simplex,
packet, repeater outputs
223.85-224.98 Repeater outputa only
Note: The 222 MHz band plan was adopted by the ARRL Board of
Directors in July 1991.

70 CENTIMETERS (420-450 MHz):
420.00-426.00 ATV repeater or simplex with 421.25 MHz video
carrier control links and experimental
426.00-432.00 ATV simplex with 427.250-MHz video carrier frequency
432.00-432.07 EME (Earth-Moon-Earth)
432.07-432.10 Weak-signal CW
432.10 70-cm calling frequency
432.10-432.30 Mixed-mode and weak-signal work
432.30-432.40 Propagation beacons
432.40-433.00 Mixed-mode and weak-signal work
433.00-435.00 Auxiliary/repeater links
435.00-438.00 Satellite only (internationally)
438.00-444.00 ATV repeater input with 439.250-MHz video carrier
frequency and repeater links
442.00-445.00 Repeater inputs and outputs (local option)
445.00-447.00 Shared by auxiliary and control links, repeaters
and simplex (local option)
446.00 National simplex frequency
447.00-450.00 Repeater inputs and outputs (local option)
Note: The 440 MHz band plan is under review by the ARRL VHF-UHF
Advisory Committee

33 CENTIMETERS (902-928 MHz):
902.0-903.0 Narrow-bandwidth, weak-signal communications
902.0-902.8 SSTV, FAX, ACSSB, experimental
902.1 Weak-signal calling frequency
902.8-903.0 Reserved for EME, CW expansion
903.1 Alternate calling frequency
903.0-906.0 Digital communications
906-909 FM repeater outputs
909-915 ATV
915-918 Digital communications
918-921 FM repeater inputs
921-927 ATV
927-928 FM simplex and links
Note: The 902 MHz band plan was adopted by the ARRL Board of
Directors in July 1989

23 CENTIMETERS (1240-1300 MHz):
1240-1246 ATV #1
1246-1248 Narrow-bandwidth FM point-to-point links and
digital, duplex with 1258-1260.
1248-1258 Digital Communications
1252-1258 ATV #2
1258-1260 Narrow-bandwidth FM point-to-point links and
digital, duplexed with 1246-1252
1260-1270 Satellite uplinks, reference WARC '79
1260-1270 Wide-bandwidth experimental, simplex ATV
1270-1276 Repeater inputs, FM and linear, paired with 1282-1288,
239 pairs every 25 kHz, eg 1270.025, .050, etc.
1271-1283 Non-coordinated test pair
1276-1282 ATV #3
1282-1288 Repeater outputs, paired with 1270-1276
1288-1294 Wide-bandwidth experimental, simplex ATV
1294-1295 Narrow-bandwidth FM simplex services, 25-kHz channels
1294.5 National FM simplex calling frequency
1295-1297 Narrow bandwidth weak-signal communications (no FM)
1295.0-1295.8 SSTV, FAX, ACSSB, experimental
1295.8-1296.0 Reserved for EME, CW expansion
1296.00-1296.05 EME-exclusive
1296.07-1296.08 CW beacons
1296.1 CW, SSB calling frequency
1296.4-1296.6 Crossband linear translator input
1296.6-1296.8 Crossband linear translator output
1296.8-1297.0 Experimental beacons (exclusive)
1297-1300 Digital Communications

2300-2310 and 2390-2450 MHz:
2300.0-2303.0 High-rate data
2303.0-2303.5 Packet
2303.5-2303.8 TTY packet
2303.9-2303.9 Packet, TTY, CW, EME
2303.9-2304.1 CW, EME
2304.1 Calling frequency
2304.1-2304.2 CW, EME, SSB
2304.2-2304.3 SSB, SSTV, FAX, Packet AM, Amtor
2304.30-2304.32 Propagation beacon network
2304.32-2304.40 General propagation beacons
2304.4-2304.5 SSB, SSTV, ACSSB, FAX, Packet AM,
Amtor experimental
2304.5-2304.7 Crossband linear translator input
2304.7-2304.9 Crossband linear translator output
2304.9-2305.0 Experimental beacons
2305.0-2305.2 FM simplex (25 kHz spacing)
2305.20 FM simplex calling frequency
2305.2-2306.0 FM simplex (25 kHz spacing)
2306.0-2309.0 FM Repeaters (25 kHz) input
2309.0-2310.0 Control and auxiliary links
2390.0-2396.0 Fast-scan TV
2396.0-2399.0 High-rate data
2399.0-2399.5 Packet
2399.5-2400.0 Control and auxiliary links
2400.0-2403.0 Satellite
2403.0-2408.0 Satellite high-rate data
2408.0-2410.0 Satellite
2410.0-2413.0 FM repeaters (25 kHz) output
2413.0-2418.0 High-rate data
2418.0-2430.0 Fast-scan TV
2430.0-2433.0 Satellite
2433.0-2438.0 Satellite high-rate data
2438.0-2450.0 WB FM, FSTV, FMTV, SS experimental
Note: The 2300 MHz band plan was adopted by the ARRL Board of
Directors in January 1991
Note: The following band plans were adopted by the ARRL Board
of Directors in July 1988

3300-3500 MHz:
3456.3-3456.4 Propagation beacons

5650-5925 MHz:
5760.3-5760.4 Propagation beacons

10.00-10.50 GHz:
10.368 Narrow band calling frequency
10.3683-10.3684 Propagation beacons
10.3640 Calling frequency

All modes and licensees (except Novices) are authorized on
the following bands:
24.0-24.25 GHz 165.0-170.0
48.0-50.0 240.0-250.0
71.0-76.0 All above 300

The ARRL members and HQ staff would like to thank the following people
for their contributions to this information file:
K1CE WB8IMY NU0X

Send any additional information or changes to .
73 from ARRL HQ.

73 DE John D. Kasupski, KC2HMZ
Tonawanda, New York, USA
ARRL Western New York PIO

Jack Twilley May 28th 04 08:11 AM

Mike Coslo May 28th 04 01:40 PM

wrote:

Wahoo! It's been a long, long time! But, I'll be checking back in now and
then...

Hello again, Kim. Hope you're all settled in in the new house and all
is well.

- Mike KB3EIA -