Old June 2nd 04, 09:58 PM
Mike Coslo

stewart wrote:
"KØHB" wrote in message link.net...

"stewart" wrote

There is virtually no difference between the current General and
Technician written exams.

That's funny... there are 11 questions in the Technician question pool
on TOWER SAFETY... and there are 0 questions in the General question
pool.

Perhaps everyone believes that if you have a license you actually
know something.

Apparently, recent Technicians know MORE than recent Generals, in
regards to your litmus test issue of TOWER SAFETY.

Uh, don't look now, but each new recent General has to first take the
enty level Technician examination. Since tower safety is a basic
requirement for any class operator it is tested on the basic test.
Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to ask the same questions on both
tests, so the General examination does not repeat the same material.
Kinda puts the lie to your assertion about "virtually no difference"
though, doesn't it!

With all kind regards,

de Hans, K0HB

Still fighting the LOSING battle with non-logic, I see.

What Hans said was not only logical, but 100 percent correct. I took a
Technician's exam, then I took a General exam, then I took an Extra
exam. All three were needed to get to Extra. And the tests were quite
different.

Man! Don't you fools have ANYTHING better to do with your lives?

And yet you come in here and argue with us. Welcome to the fold.

Don't look now, but there's only a few of you left... progress WILL be made.

Your progress is defined as what? Progress for me is increased knowledge
and improved skills, while for you it appears to be allowing Technician
tested people to have what were once General tested priveliges.

Old June 3rd 04, 12:30 AM
Mike Coslo

stewart wrote:

snip

First you say:

There is virtually no difference between the current General and
Technician written exams.

snip

Then you say:

That's funny... there are 11 questions in the Technician question pool
on TOWER SAFETY... and there are 0 questions in the General question
pool.

Seems different to me!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 3rd 04, 12:33 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Or is it natural selection at work?

Ryan KC8PMX

Folks have been killed while driving to the FCC for exams. They might
have known the material, and they might not have. We'll never know.

Old June 3rd 04, 09:12 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: The dam is leaking...
From: (stewart)
Date: 6/2/2004 3:15 PM Central Standard Time
"KØHB" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

You're the flaming idiot that wants to populate the 70cm band with kiddie
channels, and NOW it appears that you you have absolutely NO understanding of
the current licensing/testing structure, yet you are making assinine assertions
in a public forum about it.

There's a "non-logic" here, alright, Teaze, and it has to do with why a
person would make such idiotic statements in the face of evidence to the
contrary...?!?!

of it.

Steve, K4YZ

Old June 4th 04, 02:51 AM
Jim Hampton

"William" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

Yes, I and can see a lot of 2 meter gear being sold/modified for use -
where?

I personally see no need for Morse, but do have a concern about the
continuing movement to reduce technical requirements. This would

include
grandfathering techs to general. Folks have been killed trying to erect
towers. Perhaps everyone believes that if you have a license you

actually
know something.

Just my opinion

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Folks have been killed while driving to the FCC for exams. They might
have known the material, and they might not have. We'll never know.

I didn't know that the FCC exams covered driving vehicles. My concern is
that people have little idea of rf safety, lightning safety (proper earth
ground), conductor sizing and many other nifty items that might become
somewhat important.

Reminds me of the time we had to run a 115 volt , 30 amp circuit some 250
feet one way. One fool couldn't understand why we needed wire heavier than
10 gauge. "gee, 10 gauge wire will handle 30 amps). Yep, IR loss. Then
there was the guy at work that took some 16 gauge wire to run a 12 volt 25
amp circuit. I tried to explain. Another knucklehead said it would work.
He was lucky; the wire melted and didn't start a fire.

I also don't want some idiot running 200 watts into a 5/8 wave groundplane
on 2 meters next door to me. He may be ignorant, but I am not.

So, back to your statement and my question: what does driving a car have to
do with radio/electronics/rf/ac/dc and safety?

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Old June 4th 04, 03:16 AM
Jim Hampton

"stewart" wrote in message
om...
"KØHB" wrote in message

[...]

- Stewart
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MURS-OPEN

Hello, Stewart

Ok, let me pose a simple question for you. Assume you have a base and a
mobile MURS station. Both have very good antennas and you have a minimum 10
mile solid range of communications. You are talking to your wife. She is 7
miles away from you. 11 miles away, another mobile MURS station comes over
a hill and is now in your range. He has a base station 8 miles further away
that you can't hear. He is using the same channel that you and your wife
are using. He is running a 5/8 wave on his car. Oh, and he is using a
modified 50 watt 2 meter rig (both at his base and in his car).

Do the math. He can be on the opposite side of you from your wife in the
mobile. His electric field is 5 times your wife's (and likely at least
twice yours). Can we spell "capture effect"? Without extensive f layer
propogation that exists on 11 meters at times, these problems won't become
apparent until there are more MURS users and even then, most of the problem
will be in urban areas .... but .... meanwhile, you won't be able to
communicate with your wife (most likely).

I darn well think that amateurs should be tested in at least basic rules and
safety for an entry level class license. I tend to get nervous when I see
questions about SWR and coax lengths from amateur extra class licenses.

As far as the old timers wasting their time, there is one older guy around
here whose repeaters won't go down easily. One is windmill powered; the
other is solar powered. Then there are a *ton* of others in his system.
All interconnected and cover 10 meters to 1.2 GHz.

We have lives beyond both this newsgroup and Morse code

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---