Old June 20th 04, 08:55 PM
William

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

Subject: The Game's Afoot!
From:
(Len Over 21)
Date: 6/18/2004 2:48 PM Central Standard Time
In article ,

(Putzcussionist of the Rock-head group Grateful Dood) writes:

"I am only here to civilly debate the Morse Code test issue"...From the
archived mistruths of an ex radio technician parading about as an engineer,
Leonard H. Anderson.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. :-)

Nursie be here to just FIGHT anyone not thinking like nursie. :-)

Might makes right.

Was the SINCGARS family of radios ever mentioned? ...(SNIPPED)

There are a LOT of military radio systems and equipment NOT mentioned

in
Amateur media...and byt eh same token most of those systems are NOT

mentions
in a great many professional journals, either...! ! ! ! !

Hmmm...General Dynamics as well as ITT make a quarter million
radio sets over a period of 15 years and it is "not" mentioned in
any professional journals?!?!?

I didn't say "ever", Your Wimpiness.

tsk, tsk, tsk. [lower-case comment as befits lower-case nursie]

"Sorry Hans, Military Communications Journals ARE NOT Amateur
Radio Journals."

Hi, hi.

Your point?

There's quite a bit of FREE information out there for anyone to
find out about military or government radio systems and
communications. Been there for a long time, even before the
Internet went public such as the SINCGARS.

Great.

Then all those Amateurs who ARE interested in military communications
DON'T have to depend on QST, et al to discuss them.

...and nursie thinks amateur radio is exclusive, different from all
other radio. :-)

Steve doesn't know what he thinks. One minute, just to disagree with
you he says one thing, another minute, just to disagree with Hans, he
says something else. Such as this little gem:

"Sorry Hans, MARS IS Amateur Radio."

Did nursie ever bother to check out other radio services (other
than the CBs he saw shrink-wrapped at Wal-Mart)?

But, but, but... He saw some radios in an EMS van, and he saw some
radios in a police car. But he most liked to run the siren and
blinking lights as they make him convulse.

A QUARTER MILLION radio sets of one kind makes for some
future surplus market, doesn't it? [that's the most of any one
kind of radio system in government history...]

Sure it does. And "surplus" radio gear has NOT been the preferred method
of getting on the air by Amateurs for TWO DECADES....Not when folks can buy
brand new, under warranty equipment for under $200.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. For a nearly-fifty "olde-tyme" hamme nursie sure
doesn't know much about surplus. :-)

He's expert at wasting surplus bandwidth.

If poor nursie is annoyed at not being spoon-fed enough info
through hum radio magazines, then he should not try to mean-
mouth those who know about such things. Tsk, tsk.

Perhaps if you HAD been reading those Amateur magazines you'd understand

bit more about what you are talking about.

tsk, tsk, tsk...nursie imagines others' worlds and doings instead
of finding out.

Interesting that a person who has written for amateur radio magazines
has never read one.

Len, you otta be ashamed.

But you go right on ahead, Lennie...

tsk, tsk, tsk...nursie getting on high horse again, forgetting which
end is head and which is tail. :-)

Even on a regular horse, he needs to mount the horse while standing on
a stump. Can't imagine him ever getting on a high horse.

Maybe he should stick with ponies.

Nursie hasn't been able to stop many, despite his shouting,
hollering, cursing, and threatening. :-)

He will never run me off, as he has tried so many times before.

Actually, my words then, as they are now, are that what I did in the

Armed
Forces have nothing to do with Amateur Communications. Just like YOUR "link"
with Amateur Radio, Lennie, those "happenings" only shared the theoretical
basics of radio wave generation and propagation.

tsk, tsk, tsk...translated, nursie never did any military communications
at all (except maybe to use the day room telephone). :-)

So that's what he was doing while assigned Bay Orderly. Typical.

Nursie was involved too much in those "hostile actions" in the
military. Must be the post-traumatic stress disorder thing showing
in his postings...

You never know what will set him off.

It's the application...not the physics...that separates you from the rest
of us, Sir Scummy.

tsk, tsk, tsk...more "meaningful discourse" from nursie? :-)

You apply physics differently in amateur radio? Hmmm?

Sucks to be you.

Only when I use either of the two Hoover appliances here. :-)

Or the solder-sucker on the bench. :-)

The melting point of solder is well below the temper temperature
of nursie...easier to suck up melted solder than to put out the
fires of outraged, angry egos such as nursie's... :-)

He's like a phosphorous bomb. Lots of sparks and smoke.

I guess this must be all of what modern U.S. amateur radio is
about...a bunch of mad-as-hell extras berating all the "lower
classes." Nice hobby. For Huns and other barbarians...?

LHA / WMD

Len, they're not all that way.
Old June 20th 04, 09:18 PM
Radio Amateur KC2HMZ

On 20 Jun 2004 13:14:21 GMT, (Steve Robeson K4CAP) wrote:

I am curious about the German callsign that John attributes to being in
Washington state? A typo...?!?!

I presume you're referring to DLA303. Bear in mind that this was
logged in reference to a SHARES exercise in support of GRECIAN
FIREBOLT 2004. DLA303 is one of ten Defense Logistics Agency (DLA)
sites that participate in SHARES. DLA303 is the site in Bremerton,
Washington, which also serves as SHARES Coordination Station
Northwest. They have HF voice and ALE as well as digital capabilities
to support the SHARES BBS (PACTOR). DLA303 is the SHARES registered
callsign for this facility, and is similar to tactical callsigns used
by hams during ARES/RACES events.

The difference, of course, is that DLA sites are "licensed" by NTIA,
not FCC, and thus operate under different rules than we do as regards
station identification. They're under no requirement to identify using
their NTIA-assigned callsign. DLA303 obviously is not their
NTIA-issued callsign, since NTIA does follow a callsign allocation
plan that conforms to ITU standards.

As far as I know, all ten of the DLA sites in SHARES use DLA ### calls
(DLA303, DLA302, etc.) rather than their NTIA-issued callsigns. The
DLA obviouly identifies it as a Defense Logistics Agency site. Wher
the numerical part of the call comes from, I have no idea.

I see at least one reference to a Civil Air Patrol station.

Yep - Puerto Rico CAP is their correct State Wing callsign. Like
Florida CAP where you are, or WHITE PEAK where I am.

I DON'T see ANY reference to any Part 15 or other unlicensed devices being
employed or reported. Nor do I see any PLMRS, GMRS, or MURS systems. (Certain
posters here insist they play a "major" role in "emergency comms"...Guess they
will be in the NEXT exercise...?!?!

In all fairness, the frequencies posted were in relation to a military
exercise and to an exercise of a radio net oprated by the civilian
government in support of said military exercise. This is far removed
from the type of "emergency comms" in which GMRS, MURS, FRS, and
Amateur stations would be involved.

In fact, GMRS, MURS, and ham stations have no more business checking
into a SHARES net than they would have coming up on the military
aircraft band and trying to raise Air Force One for a ragchew.
However, all of them (along with CB, marine VHF, and any other radio
on which it is possible to establish communications with another
station) are of potential value in emergency situations. This is
especially true of CB, MURS, and FRS equipment when it is desirable to
be able to directly contact by radio individuals who are not licensed
in one of the other radio services such as GMRS or the ARS.

The emergency management department in Niagara County, NY keeps
several GMRS/FRS portables on hand with just that in mind - which I
did not know until the deputy commissioner of emergency management
personally handed me one during an activation last year so that he
could contact me directly when he wanted to do so.

This is not to say that regular users of GMRS, MURS, FRS, etc. are
routinely written into contingency planning for communications during
disasters, but the equipment used in those services most certainly can
and is routinely procured by emergency management agencies for use
during disasters.

73 DE John D. Kasupski
Tonawanda, New York, USA
Amateur Radio (KC2HMZ), HF/VHF/UHF Monitoring (KNY2VS)
Member ARATS, ARES, RACES, WUN

Old June 20th 04, 11:19 PM
Len Over 21

In article , (Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

I DON'T see ANY reference to any Part 15 or other unlicensed devices

being
employed or reported. Nor do I see any PLMRS, GMRS, or MURS systems. (Certain
posters here insist they play a "major" role in "emergency comms"...Guess they
will be in the NEXT exercise...?!?!

Why would unintentional emitters or very short-range emitters (Part 15) be
used in medium-range communications? Doesn't make logical sense.

Personal communications devices (unlicensed, Part 95) CAN be used in
such exercises, but for local use. Since they are unlicensed, there isn't
much need for all the reporting of those, is there?

PLMRS (Public Land Mobile Radio Service) is licensed but most of that is
for local civilian use such as by utilities and businesses and local city-
to-state government communications. As far as PLMRS involved in
emergency communications, they most certainly are and have been used
so for over a decade. PLMRS was used by local governments and
utilities over 10 years ago here for the 17 Jan 94 Northridge Earthquake
emergency.

The Grecian Firebolt exercises are intended for GOVERNMENT use for
emergency preparedness. Government takes those things seriously
even though amateurs think they know more and better on everything.

You need some more study on which Parts of Title 47 C.F.R. apply
to what civilian radio services. Then a lot more study on preparation
of radio communications stations beyond what you've read in QST
for winning radio contests.

Good luck on that...

LHA / WMD

Old June 21st 04, 01:43 AM
Jim Hampton

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jim Hampton" wrote

Just out of curiosity, do you have an idea of how
much power the Navy uses on the VLF stuff?

I don't know current QRO, but in the 70's the COMSUBLANT transmitter at
Cutler was 1,700,000W on 15.9KHz and the COMSUBPAC transmitter at Jim
Creek was 2,200,000W on 17.1KHz. The ELF site at Clam Lake is
reportedly engineered for just under 1,000,000,000W at somewhere just
above powerline QRG, 75Hz if I remember correctly. The antenna is just
under 29 miles long.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Hello, Hans

And *we* are paying for it
Those are *big* qro rigs LOL

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Old June 21st 04, 01:45 AM
Jim Hampton

"John Siegel" wrote in message

Jim Hampton wrote:
"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Len Over 21" wrote

Which one of super chief's ships had over 30 HF transmitters,
and all of them 1 KW or higher?

All "big-time radio communications experience" does not happen on HF,
30 transmitters is not a remarkable number of transmitters, and power
levels of a mere 1KW are distinctly small-time. But to satisfy your
criteria, here are a few examples of my assignments with more than 30
transmitters, 1KW or larger.

snip

How many 200 KW and 600KW transmitters did the super corporal of ADA
operate?

With all kind wishes,

Hans Brakob
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy

Hello, Hans

Most interesting, indeed. Just out of curiosity, do you have an idea of

how
much power the Navy uses on the VLF stuff? Just curious. When you

start
talking 6 zeros in the power level, three zeroes *does* start to look

pretty
small time

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

QST had a story many years ago when the VLF station in Maine was first
opened. I remember
a picture of a man standing up inside the coax. Power was in the 2
Megawatt range.
John

John,

I wouldn't want to be standing up inside the coax when they fire *that* baby
up )

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Old June 21st 04, 01:54 AM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(William) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,

(Steve

From:
(Len Over 21)
Date: 6/18/2004 2:48 PM Central Standard Time
In article ,

(Putzcussionist of the Rock-head group Grateful Dood) writes:

"I am only here to civilly debate the Morse Code test issue"...From

the
archived mistruths of an ex radio technician parading about as an

engineer,
Leonard H. Anderson.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. :-)

Nursie be here to just FIGHT anyone not thinking like nursie. :-)

Might makes right.

He "float like a bee, sting like a butterfly..." :-)

Was the SINCGARS family of radios ever mentioned? ...(SNIPPED)

There are a LOT of military radio systems and equipment NOT

mentioned
in
Amateur media...and byt eh same token most of those systems are NOT

mentions
in a great many professional journals, either...! ! ! ! !

Hmmm...General Dynamics as well as ITT make a quarter million
radio sets over a period of 15 years and it is "not" mentioned in
any professional journals?!?!?

I didn't say "ever", Your Wimpiness.

tsk, tsk, tsk. [lower-case comment as befits lower-case nursie]

"Sorry Hans, Military Communications Journals ARE NOT Amateur
Radio Journals."

Hi, hi.

Heh, nursie would be surprised at the number of hams in AFCEA
or in the Association of Old Crows (real professional association
for electronic warfare engineering type, named after a pair of
legendary Norse ravens who flew ahead looking for land).

Your point?

There's quite a bit of FREE information out there for anyone to
find out about military or government radio systems and
communications. Been there for a long time, even before the
Internet went public such as the SINCGARS.

Great.

Then all those Amateurs who ARE interested in military communications
DON'T have to depend on QST, et al to discuss them.

...and nursie thinks amateur radio is exclusive, different from all
other radio. :-)

Steve doesn't know what he thinks. One minute, just to disagree with
you he says one thing, another minute, just to disagree with Hans, he
says something else. Such as this little gem:

"Sorry Hans, MARS IS Amateur Radio."

Welp, he seems stuck on that one, refusing to budge an inch.

Once it sticks in the 16 working neurons of his, it's like mental
crazy glue. Next, he'll probably state "death before dishonor"
(of admitting a mistake).

Did nursie ever bother to check out other radio services (other
than the CBs he saw shrink-wrapped at Wal-Mart)?

But, but, but... He saw some radios in an EMS van, and he saw some
radios in a police car. But he most liked to run the siren and
blinking lights as they make him convulse.

So THAT's the reason?!? Sounds valid to me.

A QUARTER MILLION radio sets of one kind makes for some
future surplus market, doesn't it? [that's the most of any one
kind of radio system in government history...]

Sure it does. And "surplus" radio gear has NOT been the preferred

method
of getting on the air by Amateurs for TWO DECADES....Not when folks can

buy
brand new, under warranty equipment for under $200.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. For a nearly-fifty "olde-tyme" hamme nursie sure
doesn't know much about surplus. :-)

He's expert at wasting surplus bandwidth.

Agreed. :-)

If poor nursie is annoyed at not being spoon-fed enough info
through hum radio magazines, then he should not try to mean-
mouth those who know about such things. Tsk, tsk.

Perhaps if you HAD been reading those Amateur magazines you'd

understand
bit more about what you are talking about.

tsk, tsk, tsk...nursie imagines others' worlds and doings instead
of finding out.

Interesting that a person who has written for amateur radio magazines
has never read one.

Len, you otta be ashamed.

I know, I know. I go sit in corner.

But you go right on ahead, Lennie...

tsk, tsk, tsk...nursie getting on high horse again, forgetting which
end is head and which is tail. :-)

Even on a regular horse, he needs to mount the horse while standing on
a stump. Can't imagine him ever getting on a high horse.

Maybe he should stick with ponies.

Wouldn't matter. He still won't read DoD Directive 4650.2 (eff. 21 Nov 03)
or USN-USMC Communications Instruction NCP 8 (C).

Nursie hasn't been able to stop many, despite his shouting,
hollering, cursing, and threatening. :-)

He will never run me off, as he has tried so many times before.

Nursie no understand da Eengliss...

[which may explain not understanding 4650.2 or NCP 8 (C)...]

Actually, my words then, as they are now, are that what I did in the

Armed
Forces have nothing to do with Amateur Communications. Just like YOUR

"link"
with Amateur Radio, Lennie, those "happenings" only shared the theoretical
basics of radio wave generation and propagation.

tsk, tsk, tsk...translated, nursie never did any military communications
at all (except maybe to use the day room telephone). :-)

So that's what he was doing while assigned Bay Orderly. Typical.

Well, technically, the telephones in the military buildings
are government property or something like that. Since
telephones are communications instruments and, being
guvmint property, he DID "military communications!" :-)

That may be the line of reasoning that Rev. Jimmie Who
will present. Stay tuned.

Nursie was involved too much in those "hostile actions" in the
military. Must be the post-traumatic stress disorder thing showing
in his postings...

You never know what will set him off.

I know! Isn't it exciting? - yawn -

It's the application...not the physics...that separates you from the

rest
of us, Sir Scummy.

tsk, tsk, tsk...more "meaningful discourse" from nursie? :-)

You apply physics differently in amateur radio? Hmmm?

I don't, but others seem to.

You have to put yourself in nursie's frame of reference. In that,
he imagines that absolutely NO electron, field or wave will
operate at ham frequencies unless a person is absolutely
licensed, certified, framed, and hung on the wall as a federally-
tested servicemember. Not only that, below 30 MHz, the
licensed, certified, framed and hung person MUST test for
telegraphy. Absolute. No ifs or buts, not even in a butt can.

Those who disobey that are forever afloat on the charybdis,
or doomed to listen to the exhortations and general arm-
waving along with dissing and cussing in this newsgroup.

Sucks to be you.

Only when I use either of the two Hoover appliances here. :-)

Or the solder-sucker on the bench. :-)

The melting point of solder is well below the temper temperature
of nursie...easier to suck up melted solder than to put out the
fires of outraged, angry egos such as nursie's... :-)

He's like a phosphorous bomb. Lots of sparks and smoke.

I keep thinking "pink smoke grenade" used in signalling.

Pink to match the horror of reading profane words (oh,
heavens!) or thinking that mooning is displaying "male
nudity!" [purity and no profanity in telegraphy...ptui ]

Smoke grenades smell bad when all fired up...but don't
last long.

"Code," "test," and "nuts" are all 4-letter words.

I guess this must be all of what modern U.S. amateur radio is
about...a bunch of mad-as-hell extras berating all the "lower
classes." Nice hobby. For Huns and other barbarians...?

LHA / WMD

Len, they're not all that way.

You ARE right. Most hams are good folks in their right minds.
Unfortunately, any human grouping has some nutsos.

Apparently, all the ham nutsos gravitated to in here after arthur
and his ritis slowed down their dizzying high-speed fists!

But, like the Big Hun (the other one who can spell in Hunnish)
said, "being interested means being licensed" so therefore
anybody without an official, nicely-engraved-border (suitable
for framing) amateur license can possibly "show any interest"
in radio. Nobody belongs in the RF world without that official,
certified, government-approved ham license...and those aren't
"real" unless a telegraphy test has been passed. Those are
the words from On High.

One last thing...PCTAs have so little sense of humor that
everything is done in an oh-so-serious (!) manner, keeping
always on the alert, ready to diss and cuss any NCTA in
sight or hearing. [sort of the General Order #1 here]*

* those who never went to basic or boot forget it...

PCTA want WAR! NCTA just want to end the code test.

PCTA are righteous, they are strong, hear them roar!

Breep, breep...

LHA / WMD