Old June 25th 04, 12:17 PM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo writes:

Mike Coslo wrote:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(Gonad
the Librarian) writes:

snippage

You lived through the 70's...Jimmy Carter's economics and political
decisions almost bankrupted this nation, both financially and in fact.

Sounds like gunnery nursie didn't get promotion that time...

Sorry to break in on a comment that I didn't see the first time
here, Len.

If a person believes that President Carter's economic and political
policies almost bankrupted the country, I would suggest looking up the
historical date of August 15, 1971. See what happened on that date, and
the consequences of that action.

I'll see if anyone knows this one before giving it away.

Nobody have it yet? Jim, you're usually good at this sort of thing.

I thought I'd let others have a crack at it.

August 15, 1971: USA abandoned the gold standard.

Guess who was president.....

73 de Jim, N2EY

Good guess, but not quite.

Dang.

We were moving away from the Gold Standard
at that time. It was the date that President Richard Nixon instituted
Wage and Price controls. At that time, inflation was at the 4% level -
something considered intolerable.

Yep.

And Nixon was a Republican, who you would think would be a staunch supporter of
a free market and completely opposed to trying to control the economy byu
government fiat.

We soon found out just how "nice" a measly 4% inflation rate was. The
initial 90 day freeze turned into around 1000 days of "adjustments" that
soon saw the inflation rate at 13 percent in December of 1974. The rate
dropped after that, but what was handed to President Carter was an
economic train wreck, to put it mildly. This all culminated in an
inflation rate of 15 percent in March of 1980.

I was there, I remember. Interest rates went up even higher - I recall friends
paying 17% for home mortgages.

Of course back in those days you could deduct *all* consumer interest payments
so there was a silver lining come tax time.

From all I read, it's clear to me that the sudden jump in oil prices was a
major factor driving that inflation.

The Wage and price freeze was what turned me into an fiscal conservative!

Now, was that a "leeberal" mistake?

Nope.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old June 25th 04, 01:19 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[snip]
But you might ask why I seem to be busting Republican chops a lot. It's
because the Pubs have been in power for most of the last 50 years, and
increasingly so in the last 20.

Not really true. Although we've had several Republican presidents, most of
the time the House and Senate had a majority of Democrats.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 25th 04, 03:57 PM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[snip]
But you might ask why I seem to be busting Republican chops a lot. It's
because the Pubs have been in power for most of the last 50 years, and
increasingly so in the last 20.

Not really true. Although we've had several Republican presidents, most of
the time the House and Senate had a majority of Democrats.

Lets go back to 1981 Using the Senate webpages as a reference, the
majority leaders are chosen on a two year basis. 7 times there was a
Republican Majority leader, and 4 times a Democrat.

There is a small complication from 2001-2003, as a republican switched
parties, giving a temporary Democratic majority.

So if you like, you can make that 6.5 to 3.5 ratio

The house of representatives has been solidly Republican since 1995.
Before that it was indeed, majority Democrat for a good while. Reference
House webpages.

Since 1980, we have had 16 years of Republican Presidents, and 8 years
of a Democratic President.

We are looking at a 2:1 ratio of who's in power when. My advice is to
use that conservative infallibility, and fix the nation's problems
instead of blaming all on the minority.

I could research more, but I think I made my point, and Field day
looms. I hope you can participate, and wish you the best with any
surgery you may need to have.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 25th 04, 09:03 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

Mike Coslo wrote:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(Gonad
the Librarian) writes:

[...]

That was one of the most curious things I can remember in politics. At
the time, I was just out of school, so I didn't think much one way or
the other. But the results got my attention. The next deveral years were
just about impossible for me to get a job. 18 years old and single made
me almost unenployable for the next several years. The jobs that were
available were going to people with families, vets, etc I was on the
bottom of the list.

We soon found out just how "nice" a measly 4% inflation rate was. The
initial 90 day freeze turned into around 1000 days of "adjustments" that
soon saw the inflation rate at 13 percent in December of 1974. The rate
dropped after that, but what was handed to President Carter was an
economic train wreck, to put it mildly. This all culminated in an
inflation rate of 15 percent in March of 1980.

I was there, I remember. Interest rates went up even higher - I recall friends
paying 17% for home mortgages.

They must have had jobs too! 8^)

Of course back in those days you could deduct *all* consumer interest payments
so there was a silver lining come tax time.

From all I read, it's clear to me that the sudden jump in oil prices was a

Old June 25th 04, 09:29 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dee D. Flint wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[snip]
But you might ask why I seem to be busting Republican chops a lot. It's
because the Pubs have been in power for most of the last 50 years, and
increasingly so in the last 20.

Not really true. Although we've had several Republican presidents, most

of
the time the House and Senate had a majority of Democrats.

Lets go back to 1981 Using the Senate webpages as a reference, the
majority leaders are chosen on a two year basis. 7 times there was a
Republican Majority leader, and 4 times a Democrat.

Since you said 50 years (see your comment above), you ought to do your
calculation back to 1954.

There is a small complication from 2001-2003, as a republican switched
parties, giving a temporary Democratic majority.

So if you like, you can make that 6.5 to 3.5 ratio

The house of representatives has been solidly Republican since 1995.
Before that it was indeed, majority Democrat for a good while. Reference
House webpages.

Since all budget bills must originate in the House, that put the Democrats
in a powerful position for a long time regardless of what party the
President or even the Senate leader belonged to. The Dems had control of
the House for decades.

"Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules."

Actually it's necessary to have parties with opposing views as it keeps
either one from going overboard in their approach.

Since 1980, we have had 16 years of Republican Presidents, and 8 years
of a Democratic President.

Again since you said 50 years, you ought to take it back to 1954.

We are looking at a 2:1 ratio of who's in power when. My advice is to
use that conservative infallibility, and fix the nation's problems
instead of blaming all on the minority.

The party in power always blames the other party. That's par for the
course.

I could research more, but I think I made my point, and Field day
looms. I hope you can participate, and wish you the best with any
surgery you may need to have.

Who's in power is often not as clear as we would like to fool ourselves into
believing. If the President is one party and either house of Congress is
the other, who is really in control? Neither can get much done unless the
other cooperates with them. During the Reagan and Bush Sr. years, the House
was controlled by the Democrats. While Reagan was fairly successufl in
working with the Democrats to get things done, Bush Sr. was not. One could
not really say that either party was "in control." Our government, with
it's division of power, was designed to prevent hasty actions on the part of
the government.

Yup should make Field Day if I feel up to it. Right now I am planning to go
but can't help with the setup. Surgery is scheduled for July 7th.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE