RadioBanter

-   -   BPL - UPLC ->Repeat the lie three times and claim it for truth (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27571-bpl-uplc-%3Erepeat-lie-three-times-claim-truth.html)

King Zulu June 19th 04 03:36 PM

BPL - UPLC ->Repeat the lie three times and claim it for truth

The ARRL Letter
Vol. 23, No. 25
June 18, 2004
[The ARRL has weighed in on behalf of Iowa amateur and ARRL member Jim
Spencer, W0SR, of Cedar Rapids, who has suffered severe broadband over
power line (BPL) interference for more than two months. A formal complaint
to FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief David H. Solomon calls on the Commission
not only to order Alliant Energy's BPL field trial system to shut down but
to fine the utility $10,000 for violating the Communications Act of 1934
and FCC Part 15 rules. Alleging "ongoing harmful and willful interference
to one or more licensed radio stations," the ARRL asked Solomon to
intervene "on an emergency basis." ]

http://www.uplc.utc.org/index.v3page?p=44489

http://www.uplc.utc.org/file_depot/0...der/33324/UPLC
%20Comments%205_3_2004.pdf

Power companies are in full denial! (Just saying it doesn't make it true.)
If you believe what's being said by UPLC, I have some great land to sell you
in Florida, and a wonderful bridge investment in New York. (When did the BPL
interference spectrum drop to 1.7 MHz ??)

ak

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - THE UPLC
STORY - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SUMMARY
The UPLC generally supports the FCC's initiative to develop rules that will
support the deployment of broadband over power line systems that will help
achieve President Bush's goal of universal affordable broadband access by
2007.1 The President supports the development of technical standards for BPL
towards that goal.2 Utilities and technology providers are poised to meet
this ambitious goal and the UPLC appreciates the strong support of the FCC
in its BPL proceedings.

The UPLC believes that the definition of Access BPL is potentially
over-inclusive and should be slightly revised. The UPLC supports the
proposal to retain the existing emission limits at the present time,
recognizing that the FCC is proceeding cautiously, even though it has found
that the interference potential from BPL is low.

Before the Federal Communications Commission
Washington, D.C. 20554
In the Matter of Carrier Current Systems, including Broadband over Power
Line Systems
ET Docket No. 03-104
ET Docket No. 04-37
Amendment of Part 15 regarding new requirements and measurement guidelines
for Access Broadband over Power Lines Systems
COMMENTS OF THE UNITED POWER LINE COUNCIL

Pursuant to Section 1.415 of the Federal Communications Commission ("FCC")
Rules, the United Power Line Council ("UPLC") hereby submits its comments in
response to the Notice of Proposed Rule Making in the above referenced
proceeding.3 The UPLC supports the proposal to retain the existing emission
limits at this time, and suggests only slight changes to the operational
limits proposed for Access BPL systems, as well as the proposed definition
of Access BPL. Finally, the UPLC supports the proposed measurement
guidelines, which will produce consistent and repeatable results that
demonstrate compliance with the Part 15 rules. The UPLC heartily thanks the
FCC for its support in developing these rules, which strike a very
conservative and pragmatic.

.. . . .

The UPLC is dismayed by the misinformation accepted as gospel by opponents
of Access BPL systems. Despite apocalyptic predictions that "BPL is a
Pandora's box of unprecedented proportions", the UPLC agrees with the FCC
that Access BPL devices will not cause the power lines to "act as countless
miles of transmission lines all radiating RF energy along their full
length."6 These opponents have produced no scientific evidence to show
otherwise, and all the measurements in the field contradict their abstract
calculations. The industry continues to test and to address these concerns
with licensees in areas where systems have been deployed, but there needs to
be a rule of reason when it comes to allegations of BPL interference, and
the UPLC applauds the FCC for making that message clear in this proceeding.

Definition of Access BPL
The proposed definition of Access BPL systems should be narrowly tailored to
apply only to systems used to provide broadband access to the customer
premises. As such, the UPLC recommends this slightly revised version of the
FCC's language in the NPRM: Access Broadband over power line (Access BPL): A
carrier current system that transmits high frequency (1.7 MHz) radio
frequency energy by conduction over electric power lines owned, operated, or
controlled by an electric service provider for the purpose of delivering
broadband data services. The electric power lines may be aerial or
underground, but do not include power lines within the customer premises or
in riser conduit within buildings. Access BPL does not include power line
carrier systems, as defined in Section 15.113 of the Commission's rules.

.. . . .

JJ June 19th 04 09:49 PM

King Zulu wrote:

The ARRL Letter
Vol. 23, No. 25
June 18, 2004
[The ARRL has weighed in on behalf of Iowa amateur and ARRL member Jim
Spencer, W0SR, of Cedar Rapids, who has suffered severe broadband over
power line (BPL) interference for more than two months. A formal complaint
to FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief David H. Solomon calls on the Commission
not only to order Alliant Energy's BPL field trial system to shut down but
to fine the utility $10,000 for violating the Communications Act of 1934
and FCC Part 15 rules. Alleging "ongoing harmful and willful interference
to one or more licensed radio stations," the ARRL asked Solomon to
intervene "on an emergency basis." ]

Now we will see if the FCC will abide by their own part 15 rules and
shut BPL down until when/if the problem is fixed. Anyone want to bet
they don't?

N2EY June 20th 04 12:58 AM

In article , JJ
writes:

Now we will see if the FCC will abide by their own part 15 rules and
shut BPL down until when/if the problem is fixed. Anyone want to bet
they don't?

No.

I think/hope what will really kill BPL is economics. It simply won't be able to
compete with DSL, cable and other technologies.

73 de Jim, N2EY

John Anderson June 20th 04 01:52 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , JJ
writes:

Now we will see if the FCC will abide by their own part 15 rules and
shut BPL down until when/if the problem is fixed. Anyone want to bet
they don't?

No.

I think/hope what will really kill BPL is economics. It simply won't be

able to
compete with DSL, cable and other technologies.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bush appointed Powell, lets boot Bush, replace him with anyone who will work
for the people,
not the rich corporations!

http://k0bkl.org/bpl.htm

John Anderson K0BKL

Mike Coslo June 20th 04 02:17 AM

N2EY wrote:

In article , JJ
writes:

Now we will see if the FCC will abide by their own part 15 rules and
shut BPL down until when/if the problem is fixed. Anyone want to bet
they don't?

No.

I think/hope what will really kill BPL is economics. It simply won't be able to
compete with DSL, cable and other technologies.

So many times in history, Ideology has chosen to ignore everything but
that ideology's belief. That is one of the reasons that idealogs hate
science.

As absurd as it may seem, the BPL push is part of current ideology. As
such, as long as the current ideology is in place, BPL WILL HAPPEN! Once
it comes up against science and laws of nature, as well as the
marketplace, it will quite simply fail.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Len Over 21 June 20th 04 06:34 AM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article , JJ
writes:

Now we will see if the FCC will abide by their own part 15 rules and
shut BPL down until when/if the problem is fixed. Anyone want to bet
they don't?

No.

I think/hope what will really kill BPL is economics. It simply won't be able

compete with DSL, cable and other technologies.

So many times in history, Ideology has chosen to ignore everything but
that ideology's belief. That is one of the reasons that idealogs hate
science.

As absurd as it may seem, the BPL push is part of current ideology. As
such, as long as the current ideology is in place, BPL WILL HAPPEN! Once
it comes up against science and laws of nature, as well as the
marketplace, it will quite simply fail.

Sad to say, BPL (and PLC) already happened. Three areas now and
a fourth coming on-line soon in the USA.

According to NTIA and that wonderful Michael Gallagher (Asst.
something or other there) praising the snit out of BPL, BPL offers
some wonderful things ahead -

1. Powerline noise will actually DROP as a result of installing BPL
since untilies must fix that in order for BPL to get data through!

2. Existing BPL systems 'merely' raise the HF noise floor the
small amount of 10 db. Not a problem says them in Phase
2 study.

3. President Bush (the younger) says "the country needs BPL"
and the party faithfull followers reprise that throwaway mantra.
Ergo, if da Prez say 'we' need it, then 'we' need it. End msg.

"Idealogues?" Nah. "Take-the-lobbyist-handout-monies-and-run-
logues."

Don't worry about any HF receiver sensitivity values in the future.
Won't matter. Noise floor will have moved up 10 db and a Noise
Factor of 20+ in a front end will do the job in that hash.

N2EY June 20th 04 01:58 PM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article , JJ
writes:

Now we will see if the FCC will abide by their own part 15 rules and
shut BPL down until when/if the problem is fixed. Anyone want to bet
they don't?

No.

I think/hope what will really kill BPL is economics. It simply won't be
able to compete with DSL, cable and other technologies.

So many times in history, Ideology has chosen to ignore everything but
that ideology's belief. That is one of the reasons that idealogs hate
science.

Yep.

They also choose to ignore the past, which is why they also hate history. You
see this in their cries of "Luddite" and "we're in a new era now" and "stop
living in the past".

As absurd as it may seem, the BPL push is part of current ideology.

Part of *some people's* current ideology.

And it may be more of a question of expediency than ideology.

The recent boom-dot-bust mess hit a lot of folks hard. While the economy slowly
recovers and unemployment drops, a lot of good (read "manufacturing jobs with
decent pay and benefits") jobs are being replaced by "service economy" jobs
(read "do you want fries with that?").

With the election only months away, the incumbents want to be seen as doing and
supporting things that will result in more "good" jobs and start another
technoboom. The reality won't hit for at least a year, at which time it can be
blamed on the "liberals" and the "antenna huggers" and such.

As
such, as long as the current ideology is in place, BPL WILL HAPPEN!

It's already in service at a few sites. The direct result of people wanting
"less regulation" and "get the government off our backs".

Once
it comes up against science and laws of nature, as well as the
marketplace, it will quite simply fail.

I hope so.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Steve Robeson K4CAP June 20th 04 02:39 PM

Subject: BPL - UPLC -Repeat the lie three times and claim it for truth
From: "John Anderson"
Date: 6/19/2004 7:52 PM Central Standard Time

"N2EY" wrote in message

I think/hope what will really kill BPL is economics. It simply won't be

able to
compete with DSL, cable and other technologies.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bush appointed Powell, lets boot Bush, replace him with anyone who will work
for the people,
not the rich corporations!

And replace him with who? John Kerry? A guy who sat side-by-side with
this Nation's disgrace, Jane "Hanoi" Fonda...?!?!

Both of whom "support the troops" by making public statements that give
aid and comfort to this Nation's foes WHILE we are in conflict with them...?!?!

George Bush is not the most eloquent speaker and like any other Human
Being, doesn't always get things right...But he's a man of TRUE moral
conviction and honesty. Replacing him with a creep like Kerry would be a
travesty and would send the wrong message to the World.

This country got rid of one lying, deceiving creep and narrowly avoided
electing another.

Steve, K4YZ

Jim Hampton June 20th 04 07:47 PM

Yes,

We got rid of Nixon. Now we need to dump Bush.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Jim Hampton June 20th 04 07:51 PM

It would seem prudent to have the ARRL petition the FCC to raise amateur
power limits to partially recover that lost 10 dB. I think perhaps a 10 kw
limit would be close enough. It might also make BPL communications a bit
dicey too ;)

Seriously, however, it is going to be interesting when BPL lines are found
adjacent to an active amateurs' property. BPL *will* be affected by rf.
Fire up your gallons.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Len Over 21" wrote in message
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article , JJ
writes:

[...]

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

N2EY June 20th 04 07:57 PM

In article , (Steve

From: "John Anderson"

Date: 6/19/2004 7:52 PM Central Standard Time

"N2EY" wrote in message

I think/hope what will really kill BPL is economics. It simply won't be
able to compete with DSL, cable and other technologies.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bush appointed Powell, lets boot Bush, replace him with anyone who will work
for the people, not the rich corporations!

And replace him with who? John Kerry?

Why not?

A guy who sat side-by-side with
this Nation's disgrace, Jane "Hanoi" Fonda...?!?!

When did John Kerry sit side-by-side with Hanoi Jane?

And if such proximity disqualifies someone, how about Donald Rumsfeld shaking
hands with, and warmly greeting, Saddam Hussein? How about the blind eye the
Reagan Administration turned to SH's chemical warfare against the Kurds?

Both of whom "support the troops" by making public statements that give
aid and comfort to this Nation's foes WHILE we are in conflict with
them...?!?!

Hanoi Jane's treasonous actions (not just words) are well documented (see
www.snopes.com).

What actions of John Kerry do you refer to? He's a decorated veteran who served
in Vietnam, then came back to the USA and opposed that war.

Was he wrong to follow his conscience in doing so? Is anyone who speaks out
against a war - any war - automatically wrong?

Consider this, Steve: During WW2, FDR (a Democrat) ran for reelection in 1944,
in the middle of the biggest armed conflict the world has ever seen - or
hopefully ever will see. Yet the Republicans nominated someone to run against
him. Was that giving "aid and comfort to this Nation's foes WHILE we are in
conflict with them...?!?!"

Or how about when Richard Nixon (a Republican) ran for reelection in 1972,
during the very war Mr. Kerry fought in. Mr. Nixon had won in 1968, in part on
a platform that involved a "secret plan to end the war" - which was still going
on 4 years later. The Democrats nominated George McGovern to run against him.
Were either the 1968 or1972 campaigns giving "aid and comfort to this Nation's
foes WHILE we are in conflict with them...?!?!"

George Bush is not the most eloquent speaker and like any other Human
Being, doesn't always get things right...But he's a man of TRUE moral
conviction and honesty.

How do you know?

He told us that SH had weapons of mass destruction. He told us that there were
solid links between the 9-11 terrorism organizations and SH's regime. Yet up to
now *no* credible evidence has been provided to back up those claims - in fact,
just the opposite has surfaced.

This doesn't mean Mr. Bush is dishonest. He may have just been mistaken or
misled.

Replacing him with a creep like Kerry would be a
travesty and would send the wrong message to the World.

What message do you wish to send? That the USA will back its leaders no matter
what? That the supply of oil is so important that we will look the other way
while our suppliers do almost anything?

This country got rid of one lying, deceiving creep and narrowly avoided
electing another.

There's no shortage of those - on either side of the aisle.

I'm not saying Mr. K is any better or worse than Mr. B. What I *am* saying is
that blind acceptance of any leader's pronouncements leads to trouble. And that
condemning someone because of who they allegedly sat next to 30 years ago would
lead to a lot of people being condemned...

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dee D. Flint June 20th 04 09:02 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article ,

(Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

Subject: BPL - UPLC -Repeat the lie three times and claim it for

truth
From: "John Anderson"

Date: 6/19/2004 7:52 PM Central Standard Time

"N2EY" wrote in message

I think/hope what will really kill BPL is economics. It simply won't

be
able to compete with DSL, cable and other technologies.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bush appointed Powell, lets boot Bush, replace him with anyone who will

work
for the people, not the rich corporations!

And replace him with who? John Kerry?

Why not?

Very simple reason why not. According to liberals, cheap internet access
(remember it was Gore who "invented the internet" according to his own
statements) is a right so Kerry could be expected to push BPL even harder
than Bush. After all the government should decide what is best for everyone
and amateurs are too small a minority to watch out for. Economic reality be
damned as far as the liberals are concerned. At least the "rich
corporations" will, if BPL is not economical, kill it instead of sinking
money into it. After all they want to stay rich.

To really make any inroads in the market, BPL will need to be as cheap as
dialup and as fast and reliable as cable modem. I find it hard to believe
this combination will happen. The investment is too large. Those who are
willing to pay the price for high speed access have already switched to DSL
or cable, etc. Even they are fighting to get people to leave dialup but it
is the price that people generally put ahead of speed.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Jim Hampton June 20th 04 09:57 PM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article ,

(Steve

truth
From: "John Anderson"

Date: 6/19/2004 7:52 PM Central Standard Time

"N2EY" wrote in message

[...]

My guess is that the investment costs will be reflected in power bills that
we *have* to pay. Of course, large corporations will get breaks on these
rates. Many utilities now charge an "access" fee so they can charge "lower"
rates. This means that while my bill states a bit over 8 cents per kilowatt
hour, I actually pay close to 13 cents per kilowatt hour. Meanwhile, folks
in Fairport and Spencerport pay something like 3.5 or 4 cents per kilowatt
hour.

All of this welfare to the wealthy (make 50 grand a year and you may well
pay higher taxes than someone making a million a year - they aren't paying
Social Insecurity, plus you have "unearned" income, capital gains ...) is
slowly bringing this country down.

I am frankly tired of folks blaming "liberals", which, loosely defined is
not agreeing with everything the Repooblican party says is gospel. It
appears one cannot even be moderate without being called a card-carrying
liberal. The last time *everyone* followed a leader without question led up
to WWII.

Watch who pays for the infrastructure of BPL. Oh, the operating costs will
be paid by the BPL users (assuming it succeeds), but stand by for who will
pay the initial costs.

N2EY June 20th 04 10:23 PM

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article ,

(Steve

truth
From: "John Anderson"

Date: 6/19/2004 7:52 PM Central Standard Time

"N2EY" wrote in message

I think/hope what will really kill BPL is economics. It simply won't

be
able to compete with DSL, cable and other technologies.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bush appointed Powell, lets boot Bush, replace him with anyone who will

work
for the people, not the rich corporations!

And replace him with who? John Kerry?

Why not?

Very simple reason why not. According to liberals, cheap internet access
(remember it was Gore who "invented the internet" according to his own
statements)

Whoa, hold it right there!

Show us where Algore actually claimed to have "invented the internet".

What he *did* claim, and rightfully so, is to have had a role in enacting the
legislation that made it possible. The record shows that to be a valid claim.

is a right so Kerry could be expected to push BPL even harder
than Bush.

OTOH, the "liberals" (a term never well defined) are big on environmental
protection, resource conservation and pollution reduction. Since BPL pollutes
the RF spectrum (a limited natural resource), it makes sense they would be
*against* BPL.

After all the government should decide what is best for everyone
and amateurs are too small a minority to watch out for.

Isn't a major role of government that of protecting the minority?

Economic reality be
damned as far as the liberals are concerned.

Really?

What's the economic reality of BPL?

At least the "rich
corporations" will, if BPL is not economical, kill it instead of sinking
money into it. After all they want to stay rich.

Is that how the oil industry works? Or the auto industry?

To really make any inroads in the market, BPL will need to be as cheap as
dialup and as fast and reliable as cable modem. I find it hard to believe
this combination will happen.

Me too.

It also needs to be compatible. Take your DSL system anywhere in the US, and
the hardware still works. That's not true of BPL.

The investment is too large. Those who are
willing to pay the price for high speed access have already switched to DSL
or cable, etc. Even they are fighting to get people to leave dialup but it
is the price that people generally put ahead of speed.

All true. In addition, the areas served by those nonspectrumpolluting
technologies keeps growing and growing. Here in Radnor, PA, we can get dialup,
DSL and/or cable service - not to mention satellite.

Then there's the whole issue of wireless access.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY June 20th 04 11:57 PM

In article qd5Bc.119983$3x.87399@attbi_s54, "John Anderson"
writes:

http://k0bkl.org/bpl.htm

John Anderson K0BKL

I will take a look...

Interesting thing about that name "John Anderson" - reminded me of the 3rd
party candidate who helped defeat Carter in 1980.

One of the biggest reasons we got 8 years of Bill Clinton is that Ross Perot
divided the anti-Clinton voters. And he did the the same trick twice!

Then in 2000, the shoe was on the other foot. Ralph Nader, the latter-day
Harold Stassen, divided the anti-Bush voters enough so that Algore didn't win.
(Exit polls of Nader voters showed that if Nader had dropped out of the race,
about half of his support would have gone to Gore, a quarter to Bush and the
rest would have either stayed home or voted for other 3rd party candidates.)
The difference was enough that close states like Florida would have not been
close at all. Gore would have won decisively.

So we have the amazing irony that the author of "Unsafe At Any Speed" and
lifelong critic of Big Business was the key factor in putting a Texas oilman in
the White House.

And he may do the same trick again.

73 de Jim, N2EY

So we had the

Steve Robeson K4CAP June 21st 04 12:17 AM

From: PAMNO (N2EY)
Date: 6/20/2004 1:57 PM Central Standard Time

I'm not saying Mr. K is any better or worse than Mr. B. What I *am* saying is
that blind acceptance of any leader's pronouncements leads to trouble. And
that
condemning someone because of who they allegedly sat next to 30 years ago
would
lead to a lot of people being condemned...

Kerry is a chronic apologist. He will do nothing when this country is
attacked but wring his hands, say "Oh, we're sorry, did something we do/say
offend you?...P L E A S E forgive us"

Having been in the apologist-era Armed Forces of the late 70's, it is my
freverent hope that we DON'T allow ourselve to regress to that stage, which is
exactly what I fear will happen with this candidate.

Carter tried to castrate the Armed Forces in the 70's.

Bill Clinton didn't try to castrate them...he just made it possible for
other guys to play with them....Oh yeah...he let a bunch of ragheads drag some
of our guys through the streets of Mogandishu and them rewarded them by doing
exactly what they wanted us to do.

Kerry? He IS bad news and he'll continue to be bad news. He's already
angry that the Republicans have done exactly what they said they'd do, and it's
an embarrassment to Democrats.

Clinton and his bunch tried to make the economy look good with smoke and
mirrors, and as soon as he was no longer in office and able to hold the mirrors
up, the true nature of his economics became apparent.

Bush Jr, just like his dad and President Reagan before him, have
publically stated that economic recovery, if it is to remain viable, is a slow
and steady process. They were right.

Kerry will be more of the same "Tax 'Em To The Bone Then Flash Them With
Great Entitlement Programs Made With Thier Own Money".

We don't need Kerry. John Edwards had a chance...he just didn't bark as
loud as Kerry. Too bad.

Steve, K4YZ

William June 21st 04 12:42 AM

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message ...
Yes,

We got rid of Nixon. Now we need to dump Bush.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Nixon resigned.

We impeached Clinton because he didn't have the decency to resign.

Dee D. Flint June 21st 04 01:44 AM

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article ,

(Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

Subject: BPL - UPLC -Repeat the lie three times and claim it

for
truth
From: "John Anderson"

Date: 6/19/2004 7:52 PM Central Standard Time

"N2EY" wrote in message

[...]

Well keep in mind that the utility companies will have to go before the
state's public utilities commision and get their approval to raise electric
rates to pay for internet. This could be a hard sell.

All of this welfare to the wealthy (make 50 grand a year and you may well
pay higher taxes than someone making a million a year - they aren't paying
Social Insecurity, plus you have "unearned" income, capital gains ...) is
slowly bringing this country down.

I am frankly tired of folks blaming "liberals", which, loosely defined is
not agreeing with everything the Repooblican party says is gospel. It
appears one cannot even be moderate without being called a card-carrying
liberal. The last time *everyone* followed a leader without question led

up
to WWII.

That's OK. I'm just as tired of folks blaming "conservatives" for the
world's ills. It cuts both ways. Both groups have had good ideas and bad
ideas.

Watch who pays for the infrastructure of BPL. Oh, the operating costs

will
be paid by the BPL users (assuming it succeeds), but stand by for who will
pay the initial costs.

Again they will have to have the approval of the state's public utility
commission and this could be difficult in some states. Just as people are
unwilling to step up to the cost of cable modems, etc for high speed access,
they will be just as irate or even more irate at proposals to increase
electric rates.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Len Over 21 June 21st 04 01:54 AM

In article , "Jim Hampton"
writes:

It would seem prudent to have the ARRL petition the FCC to raise amateur
power limits to partially recover that lost 10 dB. I think perhaps a 10 kw
limit would be close enough. It might also make BPL communications a bit
dicey too ;)

Har! :-) :-) :-)

I was totally flabbergasted at reading the Phase 2 report. They
boldly went where no technical person dared to go in saying
"BPL will 'improve' the electric power line noise problems!"

As of the end of the business day on Friday, 18 June 2004, the
Comment numbers in the FCC ECFS were -

docket 04-37 (NPRM) 1,399
docket 03-104 (NOI) 6,076

There's lots of more-than-one-page real technical problem
presentations there showing that Access BPL is full of snit
than there are for the BPL proponents. I don't think that will
matter much.

The writing seemed clear on the wall last year. BPL *will*
be started. The business folks are geared up for profits.
The President has made both BPL and Broadband a goal.
The good little Republican syncophants are synchronized
to The Word from on high.

It doesn't matter who wins a majority in the General Election.
BPL has started to deploy. Once it is IN, it becomes
legacy. Once the initial costs are taken care of, it is in the
regular profit time and the installers will fight tooth and nail
to keep it. The worm could turn.

With a legacy-status "utility" the BPLers could gain leverage
to actually STOP or cut down on all those nasty interfering
HF emitters...like amateur radio transmitters. Unknown, but
it is a spectre hovering in the background. Look at the troubles
some hams have in getting noisy electric power lines fixed.
Electric power distribution is very "legacy" by now and the
electric utility companies move slowly (if at all) on repairs.

Seriously, however, it is going to be interesting when BPL lines are found
adjacent to an active amateurs' property. BPL *will* be affected by rf.
Fire up your gallons.

Seriously, that's not a good idea. Hams are conditioned now
to be legal. Deliberate interference is illegal. It is much easier
to pull the tickets of a few hams doing deliberate interference
than it is to remove or reduce a legal deliberate interference
source in the form of BPL with government-accepted regulations.

All in all, though, the FCC has NO POWER to proactively stop
Access BPL now. At best all it can do is set the incidental
RF radiation levels and then enforce those. Or, wait about 30
years or so until BPL is truly legacy service and then, like
land telephony, start drafting more stringent regulations. In 30
years from now, few of us will be in a position to do much.

Robert Casey June 21st 04 02:37 AM

Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

Bush appointed Powell, lets boot Bush, replace him with anyone who will work
for the people,
not the rich corporations!

And replace him with who? John Kerry? A guy who sat side-by-side with
this Nation's disgrace, Jane "Hanoi" Fonda...?!?!

Did he? Heard that that photo was fake. And it's not like he was
touring Hanoi with her.
For all we know, Jane might have been a CIA spy.

Both of whom "support the troops" by making public statements that give
aid and comfort to this Nation's foes WHILE we are in conflict with them...?!?!

Vietnam was a stupid war. Now if we had a goal and a strategy that made
any sense, maybe we
could have achieved something...

George Bush is not the most eloquent speaker and like any other Human
Being, doesn't always get things right...But he's a man of TRUE moral
conviction and honesty. Replacing him with a creep like Kerry would be a
travesty and would send the wrong message to the World.

Problem is that he's trying to skip over that "separation of church and
state" thing.

This country got rid of one lying, deceiving creep and narrowly avoided
electing another.

But the economy wasn't in the toilet. I didn't care if Bill got a BJ or
not. But he should
have owned up to it in that court of law. "Okay, I did it. You happy
now? Don't
we have more important things to spend time on?" After a month it would
have
blown over...

Why does GW still claim that Saddam aided Al Queda? Or is it that
Saddam didn't
tell the USA ambassador in Bagdad (or elsewhere) that "Al Queda is
planning an
attack on you guys and I kicked them out of my palace"? Not telling the
cops
about someone hatching a crime conspiracy is illegal.

Jim Hampton June 21st 04 03:09 AM

"William" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

Yes,

We got rid of Nixon. Now we need to dump Bush.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Nixon resigned.

We impeached Clinton because he didn't have the decency to resign.

Nixon resigned after his friends on Capitol Hill told him they couldn't
muster enough votes to avoid throwing him out of office. End of story.

Clinton was not removed from office. What Clinton did was terrible to his
wife and daughter, but what damage to the country (other than a major
distraction) did it do? Are you so naive as to think that this huge deficit
Bush is running won't hurt us? Already some want to reduce social security
more. It isn't that social security is broke (and it appears to be in a bit
better shape than they thought, but as good jobs disappear and are replaced
by near minimum-wage jobs, I wouldn't bet); it is that the federal
government has tapped the funds and issued IOUs to social security. They
don't want to pay back money to the folks that need it the most. Rob from
the poor and give to the rich.

Go figure; make $1,000,000 on the stock market and you only pay $150,000 in
tax (15%). Now, go get a $60,000 a year job and see what you pay in taxes.
Don't forget that over 7.5% social security tax you pay (and my pension is
reduced slightly due to my employer's social security contribution.
Retirement based on income above the tax base results in higher percentage
payment.) when you figure your tax load.

Well, we finally got our high-speed ferry here in Rochester. Like all other
high-profile projects (the new soccer stadium, the baseball stadium), the
owners paid *far* less than they were originally supposed to. The taxpayers
picked up the tab. Now we pay for security here, but Canada won't pay over
there. Net result, before the first outing, prices were raised on vehicles
and occupants as the ferry operator had to pay for security in Canada. Now,
yesterday, we found out that for some reason the ferry folks got to take
over most of the paved parking in a *public* park close to the ferry. I
wonder why, since they raised the cost per vehicle. A *public* park, but in
those spaces, they charge you $5.00 per day to park.

Where are all of the whiners that complain about welfare? Oh, I forgot;
that doesn't apply to *corporate* welfare.

Compassionate conservative *IS* an oxymoron. I don't need any more idiots
in Washington running *huge* deficits to benefit the rich.

Jim Hampton June 21st 04 03:17 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

Well keep in mind that the utility companies will have to go before the
state's public utilities commision and get their approval to raise

electric
rates to pay for internet. This could be a hard sell.

That's OK. I'm just as tired of folks blaming "conservatives" for the
world's ills. It cuts both ways. Both groups have had good ideas and bad
ideas.

Again they will have to have the approval of the state's public utility
commission and this could be difficult in some states. Just as people are
unwilling to step up to the cost of cable modems, etc for high speed

access,
they will be just as irate or even more irate at proposals to increase
electric rates.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Hello, Dee

I will absolutely agree with you that the sword cuts both ways. I am so
*darn* tired of someone saying something and everyone jumping up and down
and clapping their hands, whether BPL or weapons of mass destruction. Some
argue that it is just the old hams that are fighting BPL. My problem is
that just because the power company says it isn't interfering with anyone
doesn't make that gospel.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Mike Coslo June 21st 04 03:52 AM

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article , JJ
writes:

[...]

C'mon, Jim! Burger flippin' is going to be moved from "service" to
"manufacturing"

With the election only months away, the incumbents want to be seen as doing and
supporting things that will result in more "good" jobs and start another
technoboom. The reality won't hit for at least a year, at which time it can be
blamed on the "liberals" and the "antenna huggers" and such.

Repeat after me:

All problems are the fault of Liberals...
All problems are the fault of Liberals....
All problems are the fault of Liberals...

It's great. As long as you can blame everything on the dreaded liberal,
you are absolved of any blame yourself. I personally know perhaps 1500
people. Maybe only 5 or 6 are actual Liberals. And no one that thinks
like they do has been running the show in a long time. How did they get
such power to make all the problems in the world?

As such, as long as the current ideology is in place, BPL WILL HAPPEN!

It's already in service at a few sites. The direct result of people wanting
"less regulation" and "get the government off our backs".

Actually, it's just a different group making the regulations. The
golden rule, as it were.

Once
it comes up against science and laws of nature, as well as the
marketplace, it will quite simply fail.

I hope so.

Hey, just to insert something good into this depressing topic, Mike
Melville has been tapped to pilot Burt Rutan's SpaceshipOne tomorrow at
0630 PDT. If successful and he reaches suborbital flight, this will be
just about as cool an event as I've seen in years.

CNN is covering the event. Dunno why Fox isn't. Seems like private
spaceflight would be right up their alley. Maybe Burt is a Leeberal? ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo June 21st 04 04:38 AM

Dee D. Flint wrote:

"N2EY" wrote in message

In article ,

(Steve

truth

From: "John Anderson"

Date: 6/19/2004 7:52 PM Central Standard Time

"N2EY" wrote in message

I think/hope what will really kill BPL is economics. It simply won't

be

able to compete with DSL, cable and other technologies.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bush appointed Powell, lets boot Bush, replace him with anyone who will

work

for the people, not the rich corporations!

And replace him with who? John Kerry?

Why not?

Very simple reason why not. According to liberals, cheap internet access
(remember it was Gore who "invented the internet" according to his own
statements)

Produce those statements Dee. Show me that quote!

Or do you just repeat what you are told?

In case you want something other than NeoCon Propaganda What he said
was that:

"during my service in the United States Congress, I took the
initiative in creating the Internet".

Gore was instrumental along with other Congressmen and perhaps women in
paving the way for the internet as we know it today. Within the context
of the interview, the message was clear enough. Unfortunately, *some*
members of the (liberal?) press chose to not only take it out of
context, but deliberately misquoted him.

Suggesting Gore saying that he "invented the internet" is very, very
inaccurate.

is a right so Kerry could be expected to push BPL even harder
than Bush. After all the government should decide what is best for everyone
and amateurs are too small a minority to watch out for. Economic reality be
damned as far as the liberals are concerned.

Are liberals anyone that disagrees with the present administration?
People bandy that word about with such abandon that I'd like to examine it.

I like the idea that the government that governs least governs best. I
like the ability to have and express my own opinion. I like the ability
to get rich if I desire (or at least attempt to) I believe that all
people should know that they are expected to be contributing members of
society, and if they plan on being lazy and don't want to work for a
living, as far as I am concerned, they can exist off what private
charity gives them or else they are welcome to crawl off in a hole
somewhere. I like the idea that no one gets special consideration, (such
as farm subsidies) for simply doing their jobs. And I don't think any
government should be allowed to spend $.01 more than it takes in, except
for extraordinary circumstances, such as all out war.

That would seem to make me a conservative.

But that doesn't seem to be the way things are going, does it?

NeoCons are actually Liberals in disguise. Different details, but the
same results.

I apologize if I get a little testy on the subject, but I think that
Conservatives are straying as far from their original principles as the
Liberals strayed from theirs. The results will eventually be the same.

At least the "rich
corporations" will, if BPL is not economical, kill it instead of sinking
money into it. After all they want to stay rich.

Thank heavens!

To really make any inroads in the market, BPL will need to be as cheap as
dialup and as fast and reliable as cable modem.

I doubt that will ever happen. It starts more expensive and slower than
cable, and if it gets more popular, it will probably get slower.

I find it hard to believe this combination will happen.

Agreed!

The investment is too large.

Yeah, that is the strange part. The companies are going to have to run
fiber *almost* to the house! This means that the people that are signing
up are just that close to fiber performance! Why on earth they wouldn't
just run it the whole way is beyond me.

Those who are
willing to pay the price for high speed access have already switched to DSL
or cable, etc. Even they are fighting to get people to leave dialup but it
is the price that people generally put ahead of speed.

Depends. I used to have a dedicated phone line, and Compuserve for ISP.
I switched to Cable modem, got rid of the second phone line, and after 1
year, I made back all the money I paid for the cable modem, and am now
paying about $15.00 less per month (fiscally conservative 'lil ol' me)
than I was before.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo June 21st 04 04:51 AM

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , "Jim Hampton"
writes:

It would seem prudent to have the ARRL petition the FCC to raise amateur
power limits to partially recover that lost 10 dB. I think perhaps a 10 kw
limit would be close enough. It might also make BPL communications a bit
dicey too ;)

Har! :-) :-) :-)

I was totally flabbergasted at reading the Phase 2 report. They
boldly went where no technical person dared to go in saying
"BPL will 'improve' the electric power line noise problems!"

Ideology trumps science! Yes, that was a shocking thing to read.

As of the end of the business day on Friday, 18 June 2004, the
Comment numbers in the FCC ECFS were -

docket 04-37 (NPRM) 1,399
docket 03-104 (NOI) 6,076

There's lots of more-than-one-page real technical problem
presentations there showing that Access BPL is full of snit
than there are for the BPL proponents. I don't think that will
matter much.

The writing seemed clear on the wall last year. BPL *will*
be started. The business folks are geared up for profits.
The President has made both BPL and Broadband a goal.
The good little Republican syncophants are synchronized
to The Word from on high.

BPL = Ban Pretentious Liberals?

[...]

Hoo, we are getting close to that strange discussion we had last year
with the fellow saying that if we know that it interferes, and we
transmit, we are purposely interfereing. That's enough to give a person
a headache!

But if a person is in a neighborhood with Access BPL, they won't need
to use that linear. Seems 100 watts will do just fine. I don't know the
frequency context of BPL/Amateur transmitter interference, but my guess
is that if you hear it on the band you are transmitting on, you'll do it
interference harm if you fire up.

Steve Robeson K4CAP June 21st 04 03:24 PM

From: "Jim Hampton"
Date: 6/20/2004 9:09 PM Central Standard Time

Clinton was not removed from office. What Clinton did was terrible to his
wife and daughter, but what damage to the country (other than a major
distraction) did it do?

He lied...repeatedly, under oath, looking Hillary and US directly in the
eyes.

That America kept looking the other way was the second biggest travesty.
Oh well...

Are you so naive as to think that this huge deficit
Bush is running won't hurt us? Already some want to reduce social security
more. It isn't that social security is broke (and it appears to be in a bit
better shape than they thought, but as good jobs disappear and are replaced
by near minimum-wage jobs, I wouldn't bet); it is that the federal
government has tapped the funds and issued IOUs to social security. They
don't want to pay back money to the folks that need it the most. Rob from
the poor and give to the rich.

Too bad folks didn't spend some more time reading Steve Forbes' plan for
restructuring the tax system in this country.

Compassionate conservative *IS* an oxymoron. I don't need any more idiots
in Washington running *huge* deficits to benefit the rich.

Why is it that we Americans always brag how anyone with the right
motivation and determination can become a millionaire, yet when they do it, we
take gleeful delight in doing/saying what we can to bring them down?

73

Steve, K4YZ

Steve Robeson K4CAP June 21st 04 03:39 PM

From: Robert Casey
Date: 6/20/2004 8:37 PM Central Standard Time
Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

And replace him with who? John Kerry? A guy who sat side-by-side with
this Nation's disgrace, Jane "Hanoi" Fonda...?!?!

Did he? Heard that that photo was fake. And it's not like he was
touring Hanoi with her.
For all we know, Jane might have been a CIA spy.

Uh huh.

Both of whom "support the troops" by making public statements that give
aid and comfort to this Nation's foes WHILE we are in conflict with

them...?!?!

Vietnam was a stupid war. Now if we had a goal and a strategy that made
any sense, maybe we could have achieved something...

The war wasn't stupid.

Our conduct of it was. You can't take the battle to the enemy, reach a
certain goal, then recede and expect to win.

Where would we have been if we just pushed the German's back to the Rhine,
or if we didn't

George Bush is not the most eloquent speaker and like any other Human
Being, doesn't always get things right...But he's a man of TRUE moral
conviction and honesty. Replacing him with a creep like Kerry would be a
travesty and would send the wrong message to the World.

Problem is that he's trying to skip over that "separation of church and
state" thing.

Hardly, Robert. He's a man of strong moral conviction and I believe him
to be honest in his desire to see a moral reawakening in this country. While I
think that organized religion in it's own right is a scam, the basic tenents of
Christan belief are what built this nation and made it strong.

The ironic thing is that the basic tenents of ALL major religions profess
the same thing, yet all are at each others throats over who's more right or
more devout.

But no nation can exist for any length of time without some basis of faith
and basic moral convictions.

We have already watered down each and every tenent of basic civility until
only the force of law exists. And once we have removed the "roadblocks" of
some basic moral standards, what's left?

This country got rid of one lying, deceiving creep and narrowly avoided
electing another.

But the economy wasn't in the toilet. I didn't care if Bill got a BJ or
not. But he should
have owned up to it in that court of law. "Okay, I did it. You happy
now? Don't
we have more important things to spend time on?" After a month it would
have
blown over...

The economy was held together by a ton of taxes, Robert. Reagonomics
started us on the road to financial solvency. Clintonomics taxed the
be-jeebers out of us.

Why does GW still claim that Saddam aided Al Queda? Or is it that
Saddam didn't
tell the USA ambassador in Bagdad (or elsewhere) that "Al Queda is
planning an
attack on you guys and I kicked them out of my palace"? Not telling the
cops
about someone hatching a crime conspiracy is illegal.

I agree. That's what happens when you don't have an intelligence network
you can trust in place and have to depend on third party sources. Thanks,
Jimmy Carter.

73

Steve, K4YZ

Jim Hampton June 21st 04 05:30 PM

Steve,

I have no problem with someone being rich; I have a problem when I pay a
higher percentage of my pay to taxes than they do.

Please don't tell me you are so naive that you think that the wealthy always
pay a higher percentage in taxes. Fortunately, one overhaul in social
security plugged one big hole. Social security used to be based on the
highest three earning years in the last 10. I knew one businessman that
paid himself quite poorly, taking most of the money as unearned income (thus
exempt from social security). Fact is, I know a businesswoman doing the
same thing. What happens is they start paying themselves handsomely the
last few years (and paying those payroll taxes too). As a result, they pay
over 20 or 30 years half what others pay and collect at 100% social
security. Unfortunately for both of these folks, they changed social
security so it is based on the 30 highest earning years, so now they get a
lot less. But that loophole existed for years.

Why is it that these "compassionate" conservatives can stand by and watch
school districts with 30 plus students in a classroom whilst a suburban
school has only 20 per class and every 8th grader receives a *laptop
computer* and honestly believe that everything is just fine? How did New
York state, in calculating aid to school districts, manage to count every
student in NYC as 0.7 student?

You are gullible at best. I'm not mad at you, just upset at priorities in
this country. Remember too that the whole world is watching this country to
see if our actions anywhere correspond to what we are saying. If I were a
European nation, I'd not only be a bit skeptical, I'd be nervous too.

73,
Jim AA2QA

---

Len Over 21 June 21st 04 10:42 PM

In article , (Chief

From: Robert Casey

Date: 6/20/2004 8:37 PM Central Standard Time
Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

And replace him with who? John Kerry? A guy who sat side-by-side with
this Nation's disgrace, Jane "Hanoi" Fonda...?!?!

Did he? Heard that that photo was fake. And it's not like he was
touring Hanoi with her.
For all we know, Jane might have been a CIA spy.

Uh huh.

Both of whom "support the troops" by making public statements that give
aid and comfort to this Nation's foes WHILE we are in conflict with

them...?!?!

Vietnam was a stupid war. Now if we had a goal and a strategy that made
any sense, maybe we could have achieved something...

The war wasn't stupid.

Our conduct of it was. You can't take the battle to the enemy, reach a
certain goal, then recede and expect to win.

Must have been the site of nursie's "hostile actions."

Where would we have been if we just pushed the German's back to the
Rhine, or if we didn't

Didn't the USMC do good in Yurp?

George Bush is not the most eloquent speaker and like any other Human
Being, doesn't always get things right...But he's a man of TRUE moral
conviction and honesty. Replacing him with a creep like Kerry would be a
travesty and would send the wrong message to the World.

Problem is that he's trying to skip over that "separation of church and
state" thing.

Hardly, Robert. He's a man of strong moral conviction and I believe

him
to be honest in his desire to see a moral reawakening in this country. While

think that organized religion in it's own right is a scam, the basic tenents

of
Christan belief are what built this nation and made it strong.

"tenents?" "Christan?" :-)

White power rules!

Strength! Combat! Kill! Destroy!

The ironic thing is that the basic tenents of ALL major religions profess
the same thing, yet all are at each others throats over who's more right or
more devout.

Everbody gotta be "Christan!"

But no nation can exist for any length of time without some basis of

faith
and basic moral convictions.

Right...and therefore, amateur radio gotta have code test. :-)

We have already watered down each and every tenent of basic civility

until
only the force of law exists. And once we have removed the "roadblocks" of
some basic moral standards, what's left?

Aren't the "tenents" paying rent or something?

This country got rid of one lying, deceiving creep and narrowly avoided
electing another.

But the economy wasn't in the toilet. I didn't care if Bill got a BJ or not.

But he should
have owned up to it in that court of law. "Okay, I did it. You happy now?

Don't
we have more important things to spend time on?" After a month it would have
blown over...

The economy was held together by a ton of taxes, Robert. Reagonomics
started us on the road to financial solvency. Clintonomics taxed the
be-jeebers out of us.

Riiiiight. :-) Whatever it is Democrats are the Antichrist!

Why does GW still claim that Saddam aided Al Queda? Or is it that Saddam

didn't
tell the USA ambassador in Bagdad (or elsewhere) that "Al Queda is planning

an
attack on you guys and I kicked them out of my palace"? Not telling the cops
about someone hatching a crime conspiracy is illegal.

I agree. That's what happens when you don't have an intelligence network
you can trust in place and have to depend on third party sources. Thanks,
Jimmy Carter.

Democrats are the Antichrist!

I just luvvvv these informed diss and cuss sessions about AMATEUR RADIO
POLICY matters done in a "meaningful discourse" manner. :-)

Well, best to let the Chief of Stuff go back to his Stuff duties and
everyone else MIGHT get back to Access BPL. Maybe.

Temper fry...

LHA / WMD

Len Over 21 June 21st 04 10:42 PM

In article , (U.S.

From: "Jim Hampton"

Date: 6/20/2004 9:09 PM Central Standard Time

Clinton was not removed from office. What Clinton did was terrible to his
wife and daughter, but what damage to the country (other than a major
distraction) did it do?

He lied...repeatedly, under oath, looking Hillary and US directly in the
eyes.

That America kept looking the other way was the second biggest travesty.

Oh well...

Nursie think Democrats be the Antichrist. Nursie also think:

All Democrats LIE, cheat, steal, and smell bad under arms.

Are you so naive as to think that this huge deficit
Bush is running won't hurt us? Already some want to reduce social security
more. It isn't that social security is broke (and it appears to be in a bit
better shape than they thought, but as good jobs disappear and are replaced
by near minimum-wage jobs, I wouldn't bet); it is that the federal
government has tapped the funds and issued IOUs to social security. They
don't want to pay back money to the folks that need it the most. Rob from
the poor and give to the rich.

Too bad folks didn't spend some more time reading Steve Forbes' plan for
restructuring the tax system in this country.

Riiiiiight.

Compassionate conservative *IS* an oxymoron. I don't need any more idiots
in Washington running *huge* deficits to benefit the rich.

Why is it that we Americans always brag how anyone with the right
motivation and determination can become a millionaire, yet when they do it, we
take gleeful delight in doing/saying what we can to bring them down?

Cuz all nursie wanna do is FIGHT! [got no money...not enuf]

Well...there goes any hope for "meaningful discussion" on how
BROADBAND OVER POWER LINES is going to hurt/help
U.S. amateur radio.

Tune in next day for another brilliant thoughful reason for the decline
and fall of the world as nursie knows it...

Temper fry...

LHA / WMD

Len Over 21 June 21st 04 10:42 PM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , "Jim Hampton"
writes:

[...]

Heh. No. It doesn't matter which political power is "in power"
in DC on Access BPL. It evolved from the initial trial in
Norway a decade ago and presents a "business ideology"
(of making money) and all that capitalism stuff.

Somehow, through whatever means, the BPL advocates in the
USA convinced the FCC that it was the greatest thing since
sliced bread to fit the "broadband super highway." It just
happened that the FCC has Republican-oriented commissioners
and the Acting Chief of the NTIA is sucking up to Bush's
speech statement in rather blatant politicalization.

Hoo, we are getting close to that strange discussion we had last year
with the fellow saying that if we know that it interferes, and we
transmit, we are purposely interfereing. That's enough to give a person
a headache!

Not quite. Amateurs have to understand that they are small-time
players in this particular game. All the rah-rah and we-are-the-
greatest internal pep-talking doesn't help the image presented to
the lawmakers. It boils down to a very few individuals trying to
"get even" for incidental interference by deliberate interference
with a communications service. That service is much bigger, in
both employees and affected customers than a few hams in any
particular locality. It would be a lopsided legal fight, despite all
the whoopdedo of "helping" by the League. If Access BPL spreads
to many more communities, the League would run out of legal and
moral resources to help.

Deliberate interference isn't necessary. Ordinary operating should
be sufficient to disrupt Access BPL in any one location. Hams
would just need to transmit more and on different HF bands...not
spending more of their free time on the Internet and then writing
that "they are very active on the bands" when they were not.

But if a person is in a neighborhood with Access BPL, they won't need
to use that linear. Seems 100 watts will do just fine. I don't know the
frequency context of BPL/Amateur transmitter interference, but my guess
is that if you hear it on the band you are transmitting on, you'll do it
interference harm if you fire up.

Perhaps. Technical details of Access BPL systems have yet to
be released to the electronics industry. While that may be logical
to assume, it isn't proof positive.

All in all, though, the FCC has NO POWER to proactively stop
Access BPL now. At best all it can do is set the incidental
RF radiation levels and then enforce those. Or, wait about 30
years or so until BPL is truly legacy service and then, like
land telephony, start drafting more stringent regulations. In 30
years from now, few of us will be in a position to do much.

I left that in on purpose. Just to emphasize that the FCC CANNOT
stop Access BPL right now. But, what can be done, is to demand
TESTING of any installed systems. LOTS of it to correspond with
a wide-area installation (a logical demand).

The FCC has NO power to stop BPL directly. It's not in the rules.
[that's why docket 04-37 is concerned with an NPRM] But, by
demanding appropriate TESTING with emphasis on PASSING all
tests, THAT can make it economically infeasible.

Testing takes valuable manhours. BPL systems will be at many,
many places in one community, therefore MUCH testing is needed
for compliance. Not only does that affect the installation budget,
but it takes TIME to complete. Businesses offering broadband
services want to start making money as soon as possible (also
logical) but lots of testing and test time would delay that.

That's a realistic way of looking at the problem and a possible
way to make BPL economically difficult to sustain. However,
remember that once BPL is in-place, it will quickly become a
legacy service and damn difficult to remove.

Len Over 21 June 21st 04 10:42 PM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Dee D. Flint wrote:

"N2EY" wrote in message

In article ,

(Steve

truth

From: "John Anderson"

Date: 6/19/2004 7:52 PM Central Standard Time

"N2EY" wrote in message

[...]

The Internet went PUBLIC in 1991...under the Clinton-Gore
administration.

The Internet ALREADY EXISTED and was running. Some
may have been, as I was, already on USENET...which grew
out of ARPANET that existed in the 1970s.

Gore was instrumental in getting GOVERNMENT involved
in the Internet, starting the ball rolling so to speak. Every
U.S. government agency, nearly every U.S. community
government now has a website. The military picked up on
that and most large units have websites and promotes
both training and information exchanges through the web.

The electronics industry and academia as well as the
U.S. government were the creators of ARPANET through
the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA). With
more and more use, plus evolved increases in rate of
information exchange, that net split with USENET linking
industry and universities. Communications technologies
kept improving, advancing and by late 1990 there were
many who felt that this "new" Internet should be within
everyone's reach. That wasn't a political decision. It was
that of "idealogues" strangely enough. They had seen
the predecessor, BBSs, grow in the decade prior.

As of 2003, a mere dozen years after public opening of
the 'net, the U.S. Census Bureau reported that one in five
U.S. homes had some form of Internet access. That IS
explosive growth. It keeps on growing. The Internet is
now "legacy."

Politics had little to do with it. Technology was the spark.
Ideology and practicality and convenience did the trick
from then on.

ggg June 21st 04 10:45 PM

This country got rid of one lying, deceiving creep and narrowly avoided
electing another.

The supreme court appointed the current lying, deceiving creep, despite the
fact we did not elect him.

Dee D. Flint June 22nd 04 02:47 AM

truth
From: "Jim Hampton"
Date: 6/21/2004 11:30 AM Central Standard Time
Steve,

I have no problem with someone being rich; I have a problem when I pay a
higher percentage of my pay to taxes than they do.

Just because some people are able to abuse the system, this doesn't mean
everyone can succeed in doing so. There are some corrupt individuals at
every level of society. It wasn't so many years ago when welfare fraud was
making the news on a regular basis.

If you will check the IRS data, you will find that people in the top 5% of
income provide over 50% of the income tax revenue collected by the
government. The top 1% pay over 1/3 of the income taxes collected. The
bottom 50% of the people pay less than 4% of the total tax revenues
collected.

This is hardly letting the rich not pay. The ones who slip through the
cracks or find ways to avoid paying are not representative. Unfortunately,
they are news so we only hear the bad stuff.

But who generates the economic base, Jim?

You and I? I don't know you beyond this forum, of course, and you

very
well may be a business owner for all I know. But very, VERY few of those
"rich" are what we would call "idle rich". They got that way because of
businesses they ran, which means people they employed, products they sold

or
services they delivered.

Please don't tell me you are so naive that you think that the wealthy

always
pay a higher percentage in taxes.

There's always people who find ways around the system that does not mean
they all do. To single out the rich smack based on a few frauds smacks of
class envy just as much as denigrating the poor because some of committed
welfare fraud smacks of prejudice.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Jim Hampton June 22nd 04 02:48 AM

Hello, Len

Guess I get my dander up too at times. Certainly it is wrong to paint "all"
Republicans or "all" Democrates or "all" of any one group with a wide brush.
Not good at all. Besides, I've gotten led off-topic - not good at all.

I have figured it out, Len. The problem is we are dropping the Morse
requirements. Dang, now my washing machine is going to over-suds again ;)

However, BPL should help the situation. If BPL is going to reduce power
line noise (according to power companies), it should reduce my washer
over-sudsing since it runs from the mains. LOL.

Have a good one!

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Len Over 21 June 22nd 04 05:01 AM

In article , "Jim Hampton"
writes:

Guess I get my dander up too at times. Certainly it is wrong to paint "all"
Republicans or "all" Democrates or "all" of any one group with a wide brush.
Not good at all. Besides, I've gotten led off-topic - not good at all.

Some folks with opposite and contrary personal agendas WILL
do that! :-)

I have figured it out, Len. The problem is we are dropping the Morse
requirements. Dang, now my washing machine is going to over-suds again ;)

Har!

However, BPL should help the situation. If BPL is going to reduce power
line noise (according to power companies), it should reduce my washer
over-sudsing since it runs from the mains. LOL.

There ya go! :-)

But, speaking seriously on BPL. A Cedar Rapids ham group got
motivated and really organized for a measurement of a small
BPL trial installation in Cedar Rapids, IA. [the city may be a
familiar one as Collins Radio is located there]

Darn good Comment under docket 03-47 under 21 June 2004 in
the FCC ECFS. First part is long at about 1.3 MB, being the
certified by PE test report, second part is shorter, the text
comment itself.

I will give that Cedar Rapids group a large hand of applause for
their effort. Complete and to the point.

William June 22nd 04 12:05 PM

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message ...
"William" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

Yes,

We got rid of Nixon. Now we need to dump Bush.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Nixon resigned.

We impeached Clinton because he didn't have the decency to resign.

Nixon resigned after his friends on Capitol Hill told him they couldn't
muster enough votes to avoid throwing him out of office. End of story.

No, not the end of the story. But there would be no point in
discussing it with a closed-minded person such as yourself.

Clinton was not removed from office.

Then what was the purpose of impeaching him? He thwarted the efforts
of honest people by not having the decency to leave.

What Clinton did was terrible to his
wife and daughter,

I really don't want to know what he did to his wife and daughter. The
details of what he did to Monica was bad enough.

but what damage to the country (other than a major distraction) did it do?

Our government and our monetary system is a confidence game. When our
leaders go south, our confidence goes south, and our economy goes
south.

Are you so naive as to think that this huge deficit
Bush is running won't hurt us?

Are you so naive as to think that we haven't seen huge defecits
before, even when they were for unnecessary social spending?

Already some want to reduce social security
more. It isn't that social security is broke (and it appears to be in a bit
better shape than they thought,

But, assuming that you are a Social Security recipient, you just got a
prescription drug benefit.

but as good jobs disappear and are replaced
by near minimum-wage jobs, I wouldn't bet);

Yes, swapping out our manufacturing jobs for service jobs is the wrong
path.

it is that the federal
government has tapped the funds and issued IOUs to social security. They
don't want to pay back money

They'll just print more. Remember the "confidence game?"

to the folks that need it the most. Rob from
the poor and give to the rich.

I'm beginning to think that I'll never be able to retire and spend my
Golden Years learning fast code like I have wanted to. Instead I'll
be working to support people who no longer work or never did work.

Go figure; make $1,000,000 on the stock market and you only pay $150,000 in
tax (15%). Now, go get a $60,000 a year job and see what you pay in taxes.
Don't forget that over 7.5% social security tax you pay (and my pension is
reduced slightly due to my employer's social security contribution.
Retirement based on income above the tax base results in higher percentage
payment.) when you figure your tax load.

I have been pondering the concept of "individual" and that of
"corporation."

I'm told that a corporation has the rights of an individual.

A corporation has inputs and outputs. When the outputs excede the
inputs, it is called profit. The profit is taxed.

An individual has inputs and outputs. All inputs are taxed.

Well, we finally got our high-speed ferry here in Rochester. Like all other
high-profile projects (the new soccer stadium, the baseball stadium), the
owners paid *far* less than they were originally supposed to. The taxpayers
picked up the tab.

The Church of Sweat. Sports are a religion. Seperation of Church and
State.

Now we pay for security here, but Canada won't pay over
there. Net result, before the first outing, prices were raised on vehicles
and occupants as the ferry operator had to pay for security in Canada. Now,
yesterday, we found out that for some reason the ferry folks got to take
over most of the paved parking in a *public* park close to the ferry. I
wonder why, since they raised the cost per vehicle. A *public* park, but in
those spaces, they charge you $5.00 per day to park.

I used to pay for parking in St. Louis. I can't deduct parking as
part of my costs to earn my income.

Where are all of the whiners that complain about welfare? Oh, I forgot;
that doesn't apply to *corporate* welfare.

It does.

Compassionate conservative *IS* an oxymoron. I don't need any more idiots
in Washington running *huge* deficits to benefit the rich.

Bush is spending money like a drunken sailor or marine. I'm tired of
it.

Steve Robeson K4CAP June 22nd 04 01:04 PM

From: (William)
Date: 6/22/2004 6:05 AM Central Standard Time
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
"William" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

Yes,

We got rid of Nixon. Now we need to dump Bush.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Nixon resigned.

We impeached Clinton because he didn't have the decency to resign.

Nixon resigned after his friends on Capitol Hill told him they couldn't
muster enough votes to avoid throwing him out of office. End of story.

No, not the end of the story. But there would be no point in
discussing it with a closed-minded person such as yourself.

Brain-to-English Translation: "Uh oh...I'm getting backed into yet
another corner...Better make an excuse and bug-out while I am still ahead"

Clinton was not removed from office.

Then what was the purpose of impeaching him? He thwarted the efforts
of honest people by not having the decency to leave.

Yep.

What Clinton did was terrible to his
wife and daughter,

I really don't want to know what he did to his wife and daughter. The
details of what he did to Monica was bad enough.

but what damage to the country (other than a major distraction) did it do?

Our government and our monetary system is a confidence game. When our
leaders go south, our confidence goes south, and our economy goes
south.

Oh CRAP!....Brian and I are in complete agreement with something!

THIS is SCARY!

Are you so naive as to think that this huge deficit
Bush is running won't hurt us?

Are you so naive as to think that we haven't seen huge defecits
before, even when they were for unnecessary social spending?

THAT'S TWICE! I am getting a cold shivver!

Already some want to reduce social security
more. It isn't that social security is broke (and it appears to be in a

bit
better shape than they thought,

But, assuming that you are a Social Security recipient, you just got a
prescription drug benefit.

but as good jobs disappear and are replaced
by near minimum-wage jobs, I wouldn't bet);

Yes, swapping out our manufacturing jobs for service jobs is the wrong
path.

It's a DIFFERENT path. We can do both, it's just the transition that's
worrisome. We demand "change" but get paranoid and run scared when someone
actually does it!

I'm beginning to think that I'll never be able to retire and spend my
Golden Years learning fast code like I have wanted to. Instead I'll
be working to support people who no longer work or never did work.

No one "learn(s)" "fast code"...One ACHIEVES it through practice and use.
You either know the Morse Code or you don't.

Otherwise I share some of the same concerns...Good thing to have other
money in the bank, but I wonder what scam will arise in order to get their
hands on THAT!

Compassionate conservative *IS* an oxymoron. I don't need any more idiots
in Washington running *huge* deficits to benefit the rich.

Bush is spending money like a drunken sailor or marine. I'm tired of
it.

And you expect WHAT to be different if a Demoncrat is elected?

73

Steve, K4YZ

Dee D. Flint June 22nd 04 03:35 PM

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
Hello, Len

Guess I get my dander up too at times. Certainly it is wrong to paint

"all"
Republicans or "all" Democrates or "all" of any one group with a wide

brush.
Not good at all. Besides, I've gotten led off-topic - not good at all.

I have figured it out, Len. The problem is we are dropping the Morse
requirements. Dang, now my washing machine is going to over-suds again ;)

However, BPL should help the situation. If BPL is going to reduce power
line noise (according to power companies), it should reduce my washer
over-sudsing since it runs from the mains. LOL.

It's not that BPL will reduce power line noise but rather that the companies
must reduce the noise to get BPL to work!!

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee D. Flint June 22nd 04 04:03 PM

"William" wrote in message
m...
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

"William" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

What Clinton did was terrible to his
wife and daughter,

I really don't want to know what he did to his wife and daughter. The
details of what he did to Monica was bad enough.

but what damage to the country (other than a major distraction) did it

do?

Our government and our monetary system is a confidence game. When our
leaders go south, our confidence goes south, and our economy goes
south.

What bothered me is that since Clinton lied about something so unimportant,
what might he do to cover up something that was much more important.

At the time, I had several German friends and they were totally baffled
about why he bothered to lie. To some extent, this probably hurt his
standing with foreign leaders though my memory tells me that as a whole
Europe loved Clinton.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE