Old June 28th 04, 03:15 AM
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Default CERT says to stop using IE, but will the **** heads listen?

In article , johnson38
@nospam.alvillage.net says...

snippety

So I just want to say "**** you!" to the ignorant IE and OE users who
defend their use of that hole-ridden, abominable software beyond
reason. YOU are one of the major problems with today's Internet.

So... Instead of wasting energy cussing at 'them,' why not HELP
someone, in a nice way, to migrate AWAY from IE and into something like
Opera or Firefox?

Oh, I forgot... It's easier and quicker to simply swear at someone
than it is to do something constructive.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Old June 28th 04, 04:47 AM
Jim Hampton

Chris,

You are the one who is displaying ignorance. There are constant holes and
security problems with not only many browsers, but operating systems as
well. Apple is probably the only one with little or no viruses being
written to attack it as it has a small presence. Unix (Linux) has holes.
As far as browsers, Netscape, Opera, you name it, have security flaws. The
reason O.E. is mentioned so much as it has a large following and is,
therefore, an ideal target for worm/virus writers.

*Everyone* needs good antivirus software (updated *daily*) on their system
as well as a good firewall (also updated). Everyone also needs a good
anti-spyware running on their system - and it is also a good idea to have
one that runs in background and blocks incoming spyware off the internet as
you browse. I'm seeing quite a bit of blocking from Yahoo Groups (attempted
incoming spyware).

Last, but most to the point of your post, everyone should be checking daily
(whether automatically or manually) for updates to their operating system
and browser. These are constantly brought out and if you bother to check
(why don't I think you are well informed?), you will find patches coming out
almost constantly for many different browsers and operating systems.

If you don't do this, you will eventually get bit regardless of what
operating system you use.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

"Chris" wrote in message
Every time another IE hole is discovered, the **** heads say things
like "It isn't the browser; it's the user," and then they go right on
using IE. Now the Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) has joined
the chorus of people which includes places like TechTV and has said
that IE is just plain insecure. See

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jun25.html,

and be sure to read all of the way to the bottom of the article.

It's not that I care about the **** heads themselves, it's that they
allow themselves to be compromised, and then the rest of us have to
pay for it in some way.

Are you getting too much spam? Blame the infected **** heads whose
computers are acting as spam relays.

Is your ISP putting restrictions on email that really hurt? Blame the
infected **** heads again for overloading your ISP's servers or
networks.

So I just want to say "**** you!" to the ignorant IE and OE users who
defend their use of that hole-ridden, abominable software beyond
reason. YOU are one of the major problems with today's Internet.

---

Old June 28th 04, 05:01 AM
Jim Hampton

"Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" wrote in message
In article , johnson38
@nospam.alvillage.net says...

snippety

So I just want to say "**** you!" to the ignorant IE and OE users who
defend their use of that hole-ridden, abominable software beyond
reason. YOU are one of the major problems with today's Internet.

So... Instead of wasting energy cussing at 'them,' why not HELP
someone, in a nice way, to migrate AWAY from IE and into something like
Opera or Firefox?

Oh, I forgot... It's easier and quicker to simply swear at someone
than it is to do something constructive.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Yes. Opera. Foxfire. I think I just got an alert last week that Foxfire
has been found to have a security hole for which there is no known fix (as
of yet). Opera? It has holes. You can subscribe to these government
alerts and see for yourself.

BTW, we point fingers at browsers .... uh ... do you know that Real Player
has problems? Didn't think so. How about file sharing programs? Hehehe
HAR DE HAR HAR.

The list is virtually endless. Various instant messaging programs. Some
stuff that you wouldn't think could even cause a security problem.

I fixed a PC a few weeks ago. Some alleged tech "fixed" the computer.
Returned it sans anti-virus and firewall. Also didn't do updates. It got
hijacked. It took me quite a bit of effort which included removing spyware,
getting a firewall in place, anti-virus in place, and an on-line scan to
remove the last pieces of that nasty thing. I had even been locked out of
regedit! Finally, everything was working except I couldn't get the home
page back. Since I could get into regedit by this time, I simply edited the
registry and it is finally working fine. The problem, in this case, wasn't
with Microsoft or the users. It was a lazy tech that didn't want to do the
whole job.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Old June 28th 04, 06:26 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
[...]

Three cheers for Mr. Hampton. Spear a few elitists. I know for a fact
that *nix systems are every bit as vulnerable as Windoze systems, since my
spouse does computer repairs for the US military, and almost everything they
use is a *nix based system. They have problems with hackers on a regular
basis, even through their substantial firewalls.

Point being, the only way you can begin to be sure you are protected is to
have a good firewall and A/V, and keep them running and up to date. The only
times I have EVER had problems with unauthorized ingress to my system have
been when both my firewall and A/V have been down (after a hardware failure
usually)...

Old June 28th 04, 04:14 PM
KØHB

"Chris" wrote

Truly, that's a ****head response.

For more response, point your non-IE browser to
http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy

Old June 28th 04, 06:25 PM
Jim Hampton

"Chris" wrote in message
snip

And you are changing the subject in typical ****head fashion. The
inescapable fact remains that CERT - people who collectively know more
about security than you ever did in your best times - has recommended
that IE be DROPPED.

They didn't say anything about operating systems.

They didn't say a thing about anything other than Internet Explorer,
but like the ****head you are, you are going to stubbornly cling to
your religious icons, including IE, and so you change the subject.

And it IS a religion, ****head, because there is no logic at all
behind ignoring all of the security experts.

99% of all zombied machines were zombied through IE and OE security
holes - many of them YET TO BE FIXED BY MICROSOFT! And you worry
about obscure holes elsewhere?

If the dam is broken, ****head, you patch the biggest hole first
before you tend to the little leaks. The biggest hole has been
identified by CERT and by TechTV, and yet you rattle on about all of
the little holes you imagine you can see, while ignoring the giant
one?

Truly, that's a ****head response.

No wonder the net is going to hell. It's full of ****heads who think
the way you do.

I am *not* changing the subject. There are a *ton* of security holes in
other software too - including Real Player and others.

If everyone changed to Linux, you can bet the virus and worm writers would
be writing most of the stuff for Unix systems.

As to CERT .... that is where I am getting my information about all of those
other "secure" systems and browsers. The fact remains that Internet
Explorer, Outlook, and Outlook Express are popular, thus the huge number of
viruses written for them - not that they are more or less secure than other
browsers. If one keeps a firewall in place, anti-virus in place,
anti-spyware in place, updates them daily, and *uses* them properly, one is
as protected as one can be.

BTW, please ZBM-2. I suspect I'm dealing with someone with a very modest
double-digit IQ here.

With all due regards,
Jim AA2QA

---

Old June 29th 04, 01:09 AM
Alex V Flinsch

On or about Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:33:42 +0000, "Chris"
wrote about the following in article
:

So I just want to say "**** you!" to the ignorant IE and OE users who
defend their use of that hole-ridden, abominable software beyond reason.
YOU are one of the major problems with today's Internet.

From your own news headers --

Please take your own advice

--
Alex / AB2RC
Yaesu FT100 software for Linux http://www.qsl.net/kc2ivl

Old June 29th 04, 02:41 AM
Robert Casey

Chris wrote a troll.

I use Nutscrape myself..... :-)

Old June 29th 04, 03:58 AM
garigue

So I just want to say "**** you!" to the ignorant IE and OE users who
defend their use of that hole-ridden, abominable software beyond
reason. YOU are one of the major problems with today's Internet.

Yepper the bum society rears its head again ...... over 400k words in the
English language, or so I 've heard, and the universal sentence enhancer is
always to be found .... pity ...

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.