RadioBanter

-   -   1,250 Miles per Watt! (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27792-1-250-miles-per-watt.html)

Bert Craig October 15th 04 12:51 PM

(William) wrote in message . com...
(N2EY) wrote in message om...

btw, it is just about 81 years since the first transatlantic 2 way QSO
on "short waves". Americans 1XAM/1MO and 1QP (in CT, right across the
Sound from you) at this end, and French 8AB at the other end.
November, 1923. They ran a bit more than 3 watts, though.

73 es congrats de Jim, N2EY

Did you QSL?

You betcha! Had the envelopes (Outgoing and return.) printed before
the rig cooled down. I QSL 100% anyway...and yeah, I've learned that a
"greenstamp" (Or two, depending on the QTH and/or op.) helps the
return rate on DX QSL's.

Take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

N2EY October 15th 04 12:55 PM

In article , "Bert Craig"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
"Bert Craig" wrote in message
et...
Woohoo!!! Long Island, NY to Dijon, France...with 3 Watts! (3,749Miles
apart!) I was very excited to work HI with 5 Watts some mos. back, and
glad
to feel likewise again last night. I didn't think I'd be able to be heard
through the other stations calling Paul, F9KP.

oh mama mia!

Isn't it farther from LI to HI than to F-land?

True, but I only used 3 Watts for this one.

hmmmm.....distance/power....carry the three.......

There's something I feel is worth mentioning. When he came back with a
partial call sign followed by a ?, the freq went dead silent and I was
allowed to repeat my call a few times completely in the clear...very
kewl!

Very!

I've seen (& been) in a few pile-ups on 10 phone and I much prefer this.

I recall trying to work VY1JA in SS last time I used the K2 in that contest. Of
course there was an enormous pile on him (YU/NWT is *the* toughest section in
SS). He worked a bunch, then sent "QRP ONLY" and us peanut whistles had a shot
at him. And yes, the bigger guns stood by while we did. Good ears, that one!

Of course it was a classic case of game theory in action. 'JA wanted to work
the most stations possible, and sorting-by-power let him work more. The
higher-power folks in the pack realized that doing what the rare one wanted
would increase the chance of a QSO, so they cooperated.

I did not use the K1 for this one. Instead, I used it's kissing
cousin...a
NorCal 40 A.

More like little brother, wouldn't you say? Nice little rig at a nice
price, too.

On seconf thought, I suppose you're right. Both Burdick designs.

Yep. I wonder how many he's designed? More than me, for certain!

btw, it is just about 81 years since the first transatlantic 2 way QSO
on "short waves". Americans 1XAM/1MO and 1QP (in CT, right across the
Sound from you) at this end, and French 8AB at the other end.
November, 1923. They ran a bit more than 3 watts, though.

Thanks for the info, kewl indeed.

Yep, they were the very first.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY October 15th 04 12:55 PM

In article , (Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

At least 1XAM/1MO and 1QP had authorizations to operate from thier
respective locations.

That's true - and it brings up some interesting historical points.

Some hams are under the mistaken impression that there was a time when hams had
"everything below 200 meters all to themselves".

This stems from a mistaken interpretation of the 1912 treaty that limited
amateurs to "200 meters and down".

In fact what happened was simply that before the 1912 treaty, amateurs could
legally use waves longer than 200 meters, and afterwards most of them could
not. (There was a special license that inland amateurs could get that
authorized operation on 375 meters, but not many were issued or used because
most hams were on 200 meters)

But at least in the USA, the amateur station license of those times specified
the wavelength used. Since the limited knowledge of the time proclaimed that
longer wavelengths were better for longer distances, almost all amateurs asked
for 200 meter station licenses, and operated there. If a ham wanted to use 100
meters, he/she needed another station license, often with a different callsign.

And amateurs were not the only ones allowed below 200 meters. Some commercial
and experimental stations tried the "short waves" too. But it was amateurs who
demonstrated their usefulness in long distance communication by means of the
first transatlantic shortwave QSO, and later by transpacific and
transcontinental QSOs - all made with simple equipment and low power.

73 de Jim, N2EY

William October 15th 04 07:33 PM

(N2EY) wrote in message om...

btw, it is just about 81 years since the first transatlantic 2 way QSO
on "short waves". Americans 1XAM/1MO and 1QP (in CT, right across the
Sound from you) at this end, and French 8AB at the other end.
November, 1923. They ran a bit more than 3 watts, though.

73 es congrats de Jim, N2EY

Did you QSL?

You betcha! Had the envelopes (Outgoing and return.) printed before
the rig cooled down. I QSL 100% anyway...and yeah, I've learned that a
"greenstamp" (Or two, depending on the QTH and/or op.) helps the
return rate on DX QSL's.

Take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Finally, someone comes along with a sense of humor.

Len Over 21 October 15th 04 10:02 PM

In article ,
(William) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
. com...

btw, it is just about 81 years since the first transatlantic 2 way QSO
on "short waves". Americans 1XAM/1MO and 1QP (in CT, right across the
Sound from you) at this end, and French 8AB at the other end.
November, 1923. They ran a bit more than 3 watts, though.

73 es congrats de Jim, N2EY

Did you QSL?

I don't think Jimmie had learned to write yet...and the post office
objected to anyone "recycling" old stamps for the postage... :-)