RadioBanter

-   -   1,250 Miles per Watt! (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27792-1-250-miles-per-watt.html)

Bert Craig October 13th 04 03:22 PM

1,250 Miles per Watt!

Woohoo!!! Long Island, NY to Dijon, France...with 3 Watts! (3,749Miles
apart!) I was very excited to work HI with 5 Watts some mos. back, and glad
to feel likewise again last night. I didn't think I'd be able to be heard
through the other stations calling Paul, F9KP.

There's something I feel is worth mentioning. When he came back with a
partial call sign followed by a ?, the freq went dead silent and I was
allowed to repeat my call a few times completely in the clear...very kewl!

I did not use the K1 for this one. Instead, I used it's kissing cousin...a
NorCal 40 A.

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Dan/W4NTI October 13th 04 11:21 PM

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
t...
Woohoo!!! Long Island, NY to Dijon, France...with 3 Watts! (3,749Miles
apart!) I was very excited to work HI with 5 Watts some mos. back, and

glad
to feel likewise again last night. I didn't think I'd be able to be heard
through the other stations calling Paul, F9KP.

There's something I feel is worth mentioning. When he came back with a
partial call sign followed by a ?, the freq went dead silent and I was
allowed to repeat my call a few times completely in the clear...very kewl!

I did not use the K1 for this one. Instead, I used it's kissing cousin...a
NorCal 40 A.

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI
FISTS #9384
QRP ARCI #11782

Great..wonderful, but don't you think F9KP should get some flowers for
copying your puny weak signal ?

Dan/W4NTI

N2EY October 14th 04 05:40 PM

"Bert Craig" wrote in message et...
Woohoo!!! Long Island, NY to Dijon, France...with 3 Watts! (3,749Miles
apart!) I was very excited to work HI with 5 Watts some mos. back, and glad
to feel likewise again last night. I didn't think I'd be able to be heard
through the other stations calling Paul, F9KP.

oh mama mia!

Isn't it farther from LI to HI than to F-land?

There's something I feel is worth mentioning. When he came back with a
partial call sign followed by a ?, the freq went dead silent and I was
allowed to repeat my call a few times completely in the clear...very kewl!

Very!

I did not use the K1 for this one. Instead, I used it's kissing cousin...a
NorCal 40 A.

More like little brother, wouldn't you say? Nice little rig at a nice
price, too.

btw, it is just about 81 years since the first transatlantic 2 way QSO
on "short waves". Americans 1XAM/1MO and 1QP (in CT, right across the
Sound from you) at this end, and French 8AB at the other end.
November, 1923. They ran a bit more than 3 watts, though.

73 es congrats de Jim, N2EY

Bert Craig October 15th 04 12:53 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
m...
"Bert Craig" wrote in message
et...
Woohoo!!! Long Island, NY to Dijon, France...with 3 Watts! (3,749Miles
apart!) I was very excited to work HI with 5 Watts some mos. back, and
glad
to feel likewise again last night. I didn't think I'd be able to be heard
through the other stations calling Paul, F9KP.

oh mama mia!

Isn't it farther from LI to HI than to F-land?

True, but I only used 3 Watts for this one.

There's something I feel is worth mentioning. When he came back with a
partial call sign followed by a ?, the freq went dead silent and I was
allowed to repeat my call a few times completely in the clear...very
kewl!

Very!

I've seen (& been) in a few pile-ups on 10 phone and I much prefer this.

I did not use the K1 for this one. Instead, I used it's kissing
cousin...a
NorCal 40 A.

More like little brother, wouldn't you say? Nice little rig at a nice
price, too.

On seconf thought, I suppose you're right. Both Burdick designs.

btw, it is just about 81 years since the first transatlantic 2 way QSO
on "short waves". Americans 1XAM/1MO and 1QP (in CT, right across the
Sound from you) at this end, and French 8AB at the other end.
November, 1923. They ran a bit more than 3 watts, though.

Thanks for the info, kewl indeed.

73 es congrats de Jim, N2EY

Tnx es...
--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Steve Robeson K4CAP October 15th 04 03:25 AM

Subject: 1,250 Miles per Watt!
From: (William)
Date: 10/14/2004 6:54 PM Central Standard Time
(N2EY) wrote in message
. com...

btw, it is just about 81 years since the first transatlantic 2 way QSO
on "short waves". Americans 1XAM/1MO and 1QP (in CT, right across the
Sound from you) at this end, and French 8AB at the other end.
November, 1923. They ran a bit more than 3 watts, though.

73 es congrats de Jim, N2EY

Did you QSL?

At least 1XAM/1MO and 1QP had authorizations to operate from thier
respective locations.

Steve, K4YZ

Dave Heil October 15th 04 06:16 AM

From: (William)
Date: 10/14/2004 6:54 PM Central Standard Time
(N2EY) wrote in message
. com...

btw, it is just about 81 years since the first transatlantic 2 way QSO
on "short waves". Americans 1XAM/1MO and 1QP (in CT, right across the
Sound from you) at this end, and French 8AB at the other end.
November, 1923. They ran a bit more than 3 watts, though.

73 es congrats de Jim, N2EY

Did you QSL?

At least 1XAM/1MO and 1QP had authorizations to operate from thier
respective locations.

Those QSLs are likely far less rare than a genuine T5/N0IMD card.

Dave K8MN

Steve Robeson K4CAP October 15th 04 07:11 AM

From: Dave Heil
Date: 10/15/2004 12:16 AM Central Standard Time

From:
(William)
Date: 10/14/2004 6:54 PM Central Standard Time
(N2EY) wrote in message
. com...

btw, it is just about 81 years since the first transatlantic 2 way QSO
on "short waves". Americans 1XAM/1MO and 1QP (in CT, right across the
Sound from you) at this end, and French 8AB at the other end.
November, 1923. They ran a bit more than 3 watts, though.

73 es congrats de Jim, N2EY

Did you QSL?

At least 1XAM/1MO and 1QP had authorizations to operate from thier
respective locations.

Those QSLs are likely far less rare than a genuine T5/N0IMD card.

Right on!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Brian Kelly October 15th 04 08:29 AM

From:
(William)
Date: 10/14/2004 6:54 PM Central Standard Time
(N2EY) wrote in message
. com...

btw, it is just about 81 years since the first transatlantic 2 way QSO
on "short waves". Americans 1XAM/1MO and 1QP (in CT, right across the
Sound from you) at this end, and French 8AB at the other end.
November, 1923. They ran a bit more than 3 watts, though.

73 es congrats de Jim, N2EY

Did you QSL?

At least 1XAM/1MO and 1QP had authorizations to operate from thier
respective locations.

They also had antennas . .

Steve, K4YZ

Steve Robeson K4CAP October 15th 04 08:55 AM

From: (Brian Kelly)
Date: 10/15/2004 2:29 AM Central Standard Time
From:
(William)
Date: 10/14/2004 6:54 PM Central Standard Time
(N2EY) wrote in message
. com...

btw, it is just about 81 years since the first transatlantic 2 way QSO
on "short waves". Americans 1XAM/1MO and 1QP (in CT, right across the
Sound from you) at this end, and French 8AB at the other end.
November, 1923. They ran a bit more than 3 watts, though.

73 es congrats de Jim, N2EY

Did you QSL?

At least 1XAM/1MO and 1QP had authorizations to operate from thier
respective locations.

They also had antennas..

Yes Sir, they did...And other radio operators knew they were men of action
because they not only documented what they did, they we out and among the
others...Others had actually WORKED them on the air!

73

Steve, K4YZ