Old October 15th 04, 03:12 PM
William

Default foreign amateur radio policy

On another "radio-related" newsgroup, an amateur asks:

"Subject: 80 meter European and Russian SSB frequencies?

Where is a list of the freq allocations for DX on 80m ssb?"

From the worlds greatest dxer, I was under the impression that we
weren't permitted to know the amateur allocations of other countries.
We must blindly tune up and down the bands hoping that we snag a
contact with a needed country. Having knowledge of where to tune is
forbidden.

Or he just hangs out and waits for the spots to roll in, or works the
nets.
Old October 15th 04, 03:36 PM
KØHB

"Willy Weeper" wrote

From the worlds greatest dxer, I was under the impression.....

I put 50dB of attenuation in line, and this post still smoked my Troll
'O Meter.

73, de K0HB
--
"My name is Hans and I improved this message."

Old October 15th 04, 07:25 PM
William

"KØHB" wrote in message link.net...
"Willy Weeper" wrote

From the worlds greatest dxer, I was under the impression.....

I put 50dB of attenuation in line, and this post still smoked my Troll
'O Meter.

73, de K0HB

Yee Haw!!! Bent the needle! ;^)

You know Hans, I was beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, I was
alone in the world being interested in knowing what the frequency
allocations for various DX entities were.

Wellp, at least ON4UN considered it. I think his old "Low Band Dxing"
included a list. Probably out of date.
Old October 15th 04, 11:00 PM
Dee D. Flint

"William" wrote in message
om...
"KØHB" wrote in message

link.net...
"Willy Weeper" wrote

From the worlds greatest dxer, I was under the impression.....

I put 50dB of attenuation in line, and this post still smoked my Troll
'O Meter.

73, de K0HB

Yee Haw!!! Bent the needle! ;^)

You know Hans, I was beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, I was
alone in the world being interested in knowing what the frequency
allocations for various DX entities were.

Wellp, at least ON4UN considered it. I think his old "Low Band Dxing"
included a list. Probably out of date.

The ARRL Operating Manual is pretty thorough and they revise it every few
years.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 16th 04, 03:54 AM
William

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message ...
"William" wrote in message
om...
"KØHB" wrote in message

link.net...
"Willy Weeper" wrote

From the worlds greatest dxer, I was under the impression.....

I put 50dB of attenuation in line, and this post still smoked my Troll
'O Meter.

73, de K0HB

Yee Haw!!! Bent the needle! ;^)

You know Hans, I was beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, I was
alone in the world being interested in knowing what the frequency
allocations for various DX entities were.

Wellp, at least ON4UN considered it. I think his old "Low Band Dxing"
included a list. Probably out of date.

The ARRL Operating Manual is pretty thorough and they revise it every few
years.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee, thanks.

Old October 16th 04, 01:57 AM
KØHB

"Wille Weeper" wrote

You know Hans, I was beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, I was
alone in the world being interested in knowing what the frequency
allocations for various DX entities were.

You may not be alone, but I doubt that you have much company.

The ITU amateur allocations for Regions I, II, and III are widely
available in print or on the web. That level of detail is generally
more than adequate to know where to look for amateurs in a certain part
of the world.

If you are detail-orientated enough to need to know the allocations
(band-edges/mode segments) for each of the more than 300 DXCC entities
then I sincerely doubt that information is routinely available without
exhaustive research into each countries PT&T regulations.

As for me, the knowledge of the Region II US allocations is adequate to
keep me "legal", and I will assume that residents of the other 300+
entities are similarly mindful of their allocations.

It is adequate to me to know that Tananarive is in Region I, therefore a
40M contact with 5U7AR is probably only possible between 7.000 and 7.100
MHz. It will be up to 5U7AR (not me) to know whether that allocation is
valid in his "entity". If I hear him on 7.050MHz, I will assume he can
legally operate there, without me needing to be conversant with his
allocations as detailed in the "Part 97" of Madagascar.

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
"My name is Hans and I improved this message."

Old October 22nd 04, 05:39 PM
KØHB

"Willy Weeper" wrote

You know Hans, I was beginning to think that maybe, just maybe,
I was alone in the world being interested in knowing what the
frequency allocations for various DX entities were.

Since there are something over 230 "DX entities", you have a daunting
research and collation task on your hands.

Or you could hit the web and point your browser at
http://www.iaru-r2.org/hf_e.htm for a reasonable summary.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old October 23rd 04, 01:03 AM
William

"KØHB" wrote in message link.net...
"Willy Weeper" wrote

You know Hans, I was beginning to think that maybe, just maybe,
I was alone in the world being interested in knowing what the
frequency allocations for various DX entities were.

Since there are something over 230 "DX entities", you have a daunting
research and collation task on your hands.

Newbie Dee didn't shrink away from the task.

Hans, please note that I said various, and not "all." Anyone can
bumble about and get 180 or 190 so called countries. That last 40 or
so probably require a slightly different strategy. Would you choose
to remain ignorant of the operating priveleges of those last forty
countries, or would you work smarter, not harder?

Or you could hit the web and point your browser at
http://www.iaru-r2.org/hf_e.htm for a reasonable summary.

73, de Hans, K0HB

And there you have it!

Thanks, bb
Old October 25th 04, 09:30 PM
Dee D. Flint

"William" wrote in message
om...
"KØHB" wrote in message

link.net...
"Willy Weeper" wrote

You know Hans, I was beginning to think that maybe, just maybe,
I was alone in the world being interested in knowing what the
frequency allocations for various DX entities were.

Since there are something over 230 "DX entities", you have a daunting
research and collation task on your hands.

Newbie Dee didn't shrink away from the task.

Why do you consider me a newbie?? I've been licensed for over 14 years with
over 13 years as an extra. That certainly takes me out of the newbie class.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE