Old December 30th 04, 02:41 PM
Mike Coslo

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Barry OGrady
writes:

On 29 Dec 2004 05:00:06 GMT, (Len Over 21) wrote:

In article ws.com, "Phil
Kane" writes:

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:04:32 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

The FCC is now allowing unlicensed operation in several bands: 6 GHz, 17
GHz and 24 GHz bands, are you concerned about the impact it will have on
Hams?

How many people here even use the GHz bands?

Are there enough Hams to even justify further use?

They used to say the same thing about the bands above 2 meters.

We lost 220-222 MHz. That isn't important unless all the 2m and 3/4m
frequency pairs are used up.

The two-twenty loss (part of the old band there) was "lost" to hams
some time ago. The Condor Net has been living and doing fine in
what is left above it. BIG network, multiple states involved, all tone
signalling to link along the net, designed that way before micro-
processors became commonplace.

Don't worry, anyone. Morsemanship is still necessary to get on HF
as an amateur.

No its not. My amateur license lets me use all amateur bands with no
knowledge of morse.

So...is there some secret U.S. amateur regulation restructuring
that has already removed the morse code test?!? [other than a
specific, individual medical waiver of it, possible years ago]

Barry would appear to be from Australia, Len. I'm not up on the
Australian amateur rules, but I guess they are different than the US
with regard to HF access.

My commercial license let me transmit RF on a far wider range
of the EM spectrum than just the amateur bands, certainly those
few spectrum slices allocated on a primary basis to just amateurs.

Didn't even need any "license" to transmit on HF, on VHF, on UHF
and on microwaves 51+ years ago when in military service.

An amateur radio operator license is NOT a noble title indicating
a licensee is "superior" to all other human beings...except in the
personal imaginings of a few who are lost in a fantasyland.

Sure isn't! Some are just born that way - then they get a ham license! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 30th 04, 02:44 PM
Mike Coslo

JAMES HAMPTON wrote:

Hello, Phil and Barry

As a kind hearted soul who is willing to assist some folks having
communications difficulties, I have asked a friend of mine in the U.K. for
some assistance.

Here is his reply:
********* start of copied message**********
Hi James and All,

I will willingly help you with your project Jim, just send me what you
want to say in your words and I will convert it to an English style of
your choosing.

I can do you, the Queens English, London Cockney, London North, London
South, not that I have ever been south of the river, Middle England,
West Country or Welsh (real Welsh mind, not Canadian Welsh), LOL.
********* end copy*********

So, if Barry would be so kind to inform us as to what kind of colour should
be applied to our conversation, I shall ask my friend, Bernie, in the U.K.
to translate for us.

Too bad he doesn't do Scottish.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 31st 04, 03:27 AM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Len Over 21" wrote in message

Kane" writes:

[...]

Hello, Len

That commercial license wasn't a particularly big deal, except that you were
expected to memorize the "band plan", as it were, for VHF television. I had
to laugh, no problem with the video or audio carrier nor the allotted 6 MHz
per channel space. First question, I think, was "what is the frequency of
the video carrier of channel 6 television in the United States?". Well, I
guessed they couldn't all be that bad, so I flipped a couple of pages, put
my finger down, and examined the question by my finger. "What is the color
burst frequency?". Ah, simple. 3.58 MHz .... oops, all of the 4 answers
started with 3.579 .....

So, I had to take it a second time and this time I simply memorized the
splits and took a good hard look at how tightly various frequencies were
specified. Then it was easy.

The second class ticket was a joke. 45 ohms resistance with 45 ohms
inductive reactance. What is the phase angle?
a) voltage leads current by 90 degrees
b) current leads voltage by 90 degrees
c) voltage leads current by 45 degrees
d) current leads voltage by 45 degrees

Not exactly IEEE stuff.

The commercial telegraph license and radar endorsement were also not very
difficult. Such brain-strainers as "why do you avoid long horizontal
sections of waveguide".

A commercial license is not a noble title indicating a licensee is
"superior" to all other human beings (amateurs included) LOL

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old December 31st 04, 06:31 AM
Lenof21

In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

"Len Over 21" wrote in message

Kane" writes:

[...]

NTSC color subcarrier is exactly 3.579545454545454545454545....
MHz. :-)

Frankly speaking, I don't give a damn about that FCC field office test
I took in Chicago in March, 1956. It DID allow me to work at some
broadcast stations and earn a bit of money. I don't remember that
four-part test for a 1st 'Phone as being exclusively about broadcasting.
Maybe it changed later. Irrelevant.

A whole lot of changes have taken place in radio and electronics in
the last almost 49 years.

So, I had to take it a second time and this time I simply memorized the
splits and took a good hard look at how tightly various frequencies were
specified. Then it was easy.

I took mine just once. Everything. My "Q&A" book was a borrowed
Regulations set then printed up in loose-leaf form. All I did was
memorize what seemed to be important regulations. The theory I'd
already learned from the military experience, high-power HF trans-
mitters plus VHF, UHF, microwave radio relay. No real problem.

Not exactly IEEE stuff.

It was never intended to be such...any more than the amateur
written test is some kind of academic accomplishment.

The commercial telegraph license and radar endorsement were also not very
difficult. Such brain-strainers as "why do you avoid long horizontal
sections of waveguide".

Why would you? :-)

A commercial license is not a noble title indicating a licensee is
"superior" to all other human beings (amateurs included) LOL

I've never stated that nor implied it was. However, a lot of hams
go on and on, terribly full of themselves, on implying that Their
accomplishment is academic PhD level stuff. :-) [ ptui...]

Since 1958 I've been working in the microwaves, topping out at
the top of Ka Band (25 GHz) with only a brief time with some
2mm wavelength stuff where the waveguide had to be coin silver
electro-deposited on a polished copper mandrel (due to RF
surface conduction being too high a resistance with ordinary
silver plated guide...too much loss). I think of that lil-bitty guide
stuff as my "first SMT" exposure... :-)

A couple good reasons why amateur operations aren't widespread
at microwaves, particularly above X Band (greater than 12 GHz)
are Co$t of guide, flanges, measuring equipment, and RF sources;
there's no "magical" round-the-world bounce off the ionosphere as
with HF; so few amateurs know what they're doing at those very
short wavelengths (nearly all the present-day record setters have
commercial/military microwave experience).

One big plus at microwaves is that antenna gain can be terrific
due to beam-forming. Very little power is needed. Sure, there's
no "skip" at those frequencies, it's all line-of-sight, but eventually
there's going to be humans out there, far away. HF techniques
won't be good for interplanetary QSOs. :-)

Old December 31st 04, 08:43 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Lenof21" wrote in message
In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

"Len Over 21" wrote in message

Kane" writes:

[...]

Well, I never did have any Q&A manuals. I also never studied for any of the
exams I took, including Novice, General, Amateur Extra, 2nd phone, and 2nd
telegraph. I was simply up on the material (other than the band plans,
which I learned through exposure as a Novice. Didn't help a bit when I
retested in 93; I was quite wrong on at least where 40 meters was). The
only study I did do was when I did fail the 1st phone and realized that I
needed to know *exactly* what the numbers were to be. I must admit that the
CW was a bit shaky in 1993 when I simply retested for everything through
extra, however; I hadn't copied CW since 1969 (excluding the fact that I
couldn't help myself when the Moose Cud was sent during the movie "Fantastic
Voyage" back when

I didn't mean to imply a slam against the commercial license; I did serve in
4 AM radio stations, 2 FM stations, and 2 television stations. Two stints
as a disk jockey, all as an "engineer" (LOL), and one as chief engineer
(5,000 watt am/fm station). Never forget the first job when I tore off the
teletype from the A-P. Went to do the news (running late; didn't read
everything. Crossed out some I wouldn't use) and the stupid thing took a
hit and went into figures for about two sentences. Fortunately, serving for
4 years as a radioman in the Navy (much of it with teletype) allowed me to
simply read it. Impressed the heck out of the guy breaking me in. Of
course, I had to go clean my drawers out in the W.C. right after that )

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old January 2nd 05, 01:33 AM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Lenof21" wrote in message
In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

[...]

I don't know how many amateurs are going to even get much above 1 GHz. As
you point out, high power is not necessary due to high gain antennas being
easy to make (or, perhaps, purchase). The problem might be in the aiming.

I got a bit lucky when I put in my Direct Tv system some years ago. Running
the coax and feeding into the house was easy; the antenna pointing became a
bit more problematic, both due to a bad compass and a poor choice of help.

I invited a couple of friends over. Since they weren't hams and I didn't
have (as I now do) a cordless phone with both a base and remote (that is
*great* for work on the antenna), nor did we have cell phones, I needed one
guy to watch the set and report signal strength and holler to the second guy
in the kitchen who would holler to me on the roof. I checked the mount to
set up and verify the supporting rod was indeed vertical, set the elevation,
and, using a compass, set the direction of the antenna. They reported
nothing. I went to check the compass again as the elevation was easy to
set. I noticed that the needle was *not* pointing where it should be. I
know that from my porch, the North star sits exactly in line with the back
of my neighbor's house and I was in the proper position, albeit higher, and
North should be exactly in line with the end of my neighbor's house. The
needle should have pointed a bit East of that, but was pointing considerably
towards the East. Sigh. I came back down and got the manual as it shows
the deviation from true North. I went back on the roof, pointed the N on
the compass exactly towards the neighbor's house, and carefully looked
across the compass to see where the antenna should point (with the proper
true headings from the installation manual). I made the adjustment to the
antenna and yelled down. I tried for a couple of minutes and got no
response from below.

Irritated, I packed up the tools and went back down - and found everyone
drinking my beer!!!! Sigh ... ok, I went in to the television to turn it
off - and there was a signal indication of 85! I pulled out the credit card
and called Direct Tv. Bam! On came the whole 9 yards. Further testing the
following day revealed that I could not get a better signal. Lucky indeed.
BTW, by the next day, I had run coax both upstairs to the bedroom and also
into the kitchen, so I only needed one helper. He could watch the signal
strength in the kitchen and yell directly out the window to me. I chose my
helper a bit more judiciously

What does that have to do with 10 GHz transmission? Even purchasing
equipment, someone is going to have to be able to aim the darn thing (gain
comes at the expense of beamwidth, naturally) - and have some idea of local
topography if they wish to take advantage of either natural or man-made
objects. Of course, if the object is moonbounce, taking a dish which will
develop the proper gain (and I'm guessing here - likely approaching 30 dBi),
that thing is going to have to be fairly accurately pointed.

My Morse key has two settings: up and down. I can handle that, but some
folks might not be able to handle something a bit more complex than that
(although many can).

Interplanetary QSOs might prove *very* interesting. You certainly can't
call CQ. You'd have to set up pre-arranged transmit times. Both could
transmit information at a given time and the both wait .... and wait ... and
wait whilst the electromagnetic radiation made its' way at the speed of
light for a number of minutes (or hours, depending upon how close the
planet - likely mars - was at the time). Obviously, mars is quite close to
us only at certain times and even then is what - 35 million miles away?
Don't forget to adjust for Doppler shift as the planets are moving closer or
farther away. Narrow bandwidths can give you better signal to noise ratio,
but narrow bandwidths can also make that Doppler shift a lot more difficult
to deal with. I doubt wideband FM would cut the mustard due to a *huge*
increase in noise with the much larger bandwidth over narrow bandwidth
modes.

I don't think I'm likely to be around by the time ordinary folks can take a
trip to mars ....

Dang, where'd I put my Morse key?
)

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old January 2nd 05, 04:21 AM
Mike Coslo

JAMES HAMPTON wrote:
"Lenof21" wrote in message

In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

[...]

That is a big part of it. Even if a lot of hams were there, it would be
pretty much a sked only comms.

This leads to prospective users having a need to work in pairs or
teams. It will not be about making QSO's with multiple people, you will
be wanting to put your equipment together, and try it out. So right
away, the users will need to be interested in mainly putting a station
together and using it a few times, then moving along to the next goal.

And of course, the major attraction of these GHz and up frequencies is
that they DON'T go very far. You have to be the type of user that
doesn't care to make long distance QSO's!

Despite the ARRL's promotion and record keeping, for AIAP's these
frequencies are *very* local.

- Mike KB3EIA -

CW computer interface woes ... J999w General 1 November 2nd 04 08:04 PM
Cell phone woes Mike Coslo Policy 46 April 27th 04 09:03 PM
Magloop woes Mike Coslo Antenna 13 November 11th 03 11:49 AM