Old December 31st 04, 12:24 AM
King Zulu

Dear Time Magazine:

Page 109 of the December 27th issue of "TIME" made the statement that
"blogs" "...were a faintly embarrassing hobby on the order of Ham Radio
and stamp collecting."

The shallow person who wrote that should learn something about the subjects
they are writing about. I would suggest that whoever was responsible for
that statement should be given a research-surfing assignment to find out
what "Ham Radio" is all about before they spout off.

ak

Suggested reading for the ignorant:

http://www.indiana.edu/~k9iu/intro_info.html

http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/faqham.htm

http://www.seits.org/business/whatis1.htm

http://www.columbia.edu/~fuat/cuarc/arrl-hampromo.html

http://www.sbcecs.org/ares.htm

http://www.gars.net/ares.htm

http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/faqham.htm

http://www.emcomm.org/siskiyou/

http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=64

http://www.qsl.net/dx1cw/whatis.html

http://www.fema.gov/library/civilpg.shtm#2

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/wsom/manual/...%20%20%20%20Am
ateur

http://www.scc-ares-races.org/member...dout_short.pdf

http://www.bloomingtonradio.org/emer/ARNets.pdf

http://www.cot.net/~n6mrx/ares/ham.html

http://www.k4ucf.ucf.edu/WhatisAmateurRadio.html

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c104:H.R.3207.IH:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...s/news/part97/

http://www.dalek.org/srg/arsintro.html

http://www.iuscomp.org/gla/statutes/AFuG.htm

http://web.infinito.it/utenti/f/flaviano.moro/ars.htm

Old December 31st 04, 12:55 AM
Bill Sohl

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
ganews.com...
On 30 Dec 2004 00:00:41 -0800, K4YZ wrote:

Page 109 of the December 27th issue of "TIME" made the statement
that "blogs" "...were a faintly embarrassing hobby on the order of
Ham Radio and stamp collecting".

As both an active ham radio operator and a stamp collector, to
quote George "Kingfish" Stevens: "I resemble that remark".
Good letter - Let 'em have it, Steve.
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

I am always dishartened by the likes of statements found in the Times
article regarding an individuals hobby and/or interests. Sadly, too many
folks subscribe to a common thought process that unless it is golf, tennis
or some other main-stream thing pursued by many, then folks
that do things like amateur radio, stamp collecting, antique car
restoration,
model railroading, etc.are viewed as kooks.

I don't push my interests on anyone, but I do get steamed when folks
denigrate interests they don't share.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old December 31st 04, 03:17 AM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
[...]

Hello, Bill

You must remember that golf is important. It is popular with the upper
echelons of corporations. It is there you learn to shave strokes off you
score. These lessons can be applied in corporate America. Corporations
such as Enron and others

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim

Old December 31st 04, 03:22 AM
Mike Coslo

JAMES HAMPTON wrote:

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
. giganews.com...

[...]

But one must have little balls to play the game........

Old December 31st 04, 03:33 AM
N2EY

Two questions on the story:

1) Is it on the web anywhere, for those of us who don't subscribe?

2) Is there a byline (author's name) on the story?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 31st 04, 01:53 PM
W2KRP

N2EY wrote:
Two questions on the story:

1) Is it on the web anywhere, for those of us who don't subscribe?

2) Is there a byline (author's name) on the story?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Here ya go Jim:

http://www.time.com/time/press_relea...009842,00.html
Mark / W2KRP
http://www.w2krp.com
(Sign the Guestbook!)

Old December 31st 04, 03:51 PM
K4YZ

Bill Sohl wrote:
"K4YZ" wrote in message
ups.com...
Steve Robeson K4YZ wrote:

Let 'em have it, Folks!

My response:

Snipped

Steve,

Well said!

Thanks, Bill.
Happy New year everyone.

Dittos!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old December 31st 04, 05:08 PM
K4YZ

K=D8HB wrote:
Good response, Steve.

Thanks, Hans.

I was hoping this could be the one thing we could all agree on and
all of us drop a letter on these people. Code, No-code, Data, whatever
your pleasure, those comments were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong.
73

Steve, K4YZ

Old December 31st 04, 06:33 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
JAMES HAMPTON wrote:

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
. giganews.com...

[...]

LOLOLOL! )

Good reminder, Mike

Next time, warn me. I laughed so hard I spit on the monitor )

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old December 31st 04, 07:34 PM
Pope Fullmonty the 6th

"Steve Robeson K4YZ" while in a pique of
post-xmas cheer wrote in message
. on.slots.at.caesars.lv.com...
Seems Time Magazine has a beef with Amateur Radio. This week's issue
(December 27) has an article on "blogs" on page 109. In the article
the following sentence will surely grab the attention of Ham Radio
operators and stamp collectors - "Before this year, blogs were a
curiosity, a cult phenomenon, a faintly embarrassing hobby on the
order of HAM RADIO and stamp collecting."

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..................
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!

Hey have you been to any hamfests lately? (look around)
Been listening to 14.313 of late? (KJI from Indiana
is back on in the afternoon again, stirrin up things in the
truly unique way that only the 'kind jewish indian' can!)
How about 75 meters at night?

Hint: 14.313 is "re-starting again" folks!

I can name a few other freq's but U know them already.

"..faintly embarassing" they say? BOY OH BOY DID THEY
EVER GET THAT NAIL NAILED IN STRAIGHT AN
TIGHT INO THE WALL JOIST ! I don't admit to anyone
that I have a ham license, even some family.

As for stamp collecting, never been to one of those
shows, but if those stamp guys are as bung-holeo-retentive
as are the guys I've seen at train shows, I can understand 100%.

Now with all that said, I got me a Zip-Zap for X-mas.
Now leave me be whilst I torment the cat... ; )

--------

"A professional politician is a professionally dishonorable man.
In order to get anywhere near high office, he has to make
so many compromises and submit to so many humiliations
that he becomes indistinguishable from a streetwalker."
- H. L. Mencken

"Erections lasting more than four hours means you've been
watching entirely too much tsunami coverage on TV"
- Dave in alt.flonk.the.monkey