Old January 23rd 05, 05:30 PM
N2EY

In article ws.com, "Phil
Kane" writes:

On 23 Jan 2005 00:30:49 GMT, N2EY wrote:

What I find interesting about "Dr." Laura is that she doesn't/hasn't lived
up to the very values she preaches to others. For example, she insists
on being called "Doctor" - but she's not an MD, Psy. D or even Ed.D.
She's got a Ph.D, but not in human psychology or therapy.

It is in Physiology.

Which is not even closely related.

We in the ba.broadcast group usually refer to
her as "the Quactor".

Bwaahaahaa! Good one!

The sad part is that many of her listeners think she really is qualified.

I think there was an episode of "Frasier" where he has to deal with a quack
radio "doctor", who asks him to write the foreword in her new book.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 23rd 05, 08:12 PM
Jeffrey Herman

On 23 Jan 2005 00:30:49 GMT, N2EY wrote:
What I find interesting about "Dr." Laura is that she doesn't/hasn't lived
up to the very values she preaches to others. For example, she insists
on being called "Doctor" - but she's not an MD, Psy. D or even Ed.D.
She's got a Ph.D, but not in human psychology or therapy.

The "D" stands for "doctor." One can be a doctor of mathematics, doctor
of chemistry, doctor of medicine, doctor of psychology, et cetera. All
can use the title "doctor." Heck, even a lawyers can use that title due
their degree being a Juris Doctor ("Doctor of Law").

I'm sure you called some of your professors "Doctor" and never gave
it a second thought.

73, Jeff KH6O

--
Chief Petty Officer, U.S. Coast Guard
Mathematics Lecturer, University of Hawaii System
Old January 23rd 05, 11:19 PM
Mike Coslo

Jeffrey Herman wrote:
On 23 Jan 2005 00:30:49 GMT, N2EY wrote:

What I find interesting about "Dr." Laura is that she doesn't/hasn't lived
up to the very values she preaches to others. For example, she insists
on being called "Doctor" - but she's not an MD, Psy. D or even Ed.D.
She's got a Ph.D, but not in human psychology or therapy.

The "D" stands for "doctor." One can be a doctor of mathematics, doctor
of chemistry, doctor of medicine, doctor of psychology, et cetera. All
can use the title "doctor." Heck, even a lawyers can use that title due
their degree being a Juris Doctor ("Doctor of Law").

I'm sure you called some of your professors "Doctor" and never gave
it a second thought.

I'd bet he didn't call them Doctor followed by their first name!

And the other thing is, at least with all the PhD's I work with, asking
any one of them to comment outside their field gets the answer prefaced
with a "well, it isn't my field of expertise" or something to that effect.

Dr Laura is shelling out "advice" that is not related to her field of
expertise.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 24th 05, 12:35 AM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Jeffrey Herman wrote:
On 23 Jan 2005 00:30:49 GMT, N2EY wrote:

What I find interesting about "Dr." Laura is that she doesn't/hasn't lived
up to the very values she preaches to others. For example, she insists
on being called "Doctor" - but she's not an MD, Psy. D or even Ed.D.
She's got a Ph.D, but not in human psychology or therapy.

The "D" stands for "doctor." One can be a doctor of mathematics, doctor
of chemistry, doctor of medicine, doctor of psychology, et cetera.

My favorite is doctor of electrical engineering.

All can use the title "doctor."

Yes, they can. But most that I know do not *require* it, outside their field of
expertise.

Heck, even a lawyers can use that title due
their degree being a Juris Doctor ("Doctor of Law").

But they don't usually do that.

I'm sure you called some of your professors "Doctor" and never gave
it a second thought.

Sure - because they were functioning in their field of expertise.

I'd bet he didn't call them Doctor followed by their first name!

Not a one.

And the other thing is, at least with all the PhD's I work with, asking
any one of them to comment outside their field gets the answer prefaced
with a "well, it isn't my field of expertise" or something to that effect.

BINGO!

Heck, you can ask most Ph.D EEs about house wiring, and most of them will
preface their remarks that way, because it *isn't* their field of EE.

Dr Laura is shelling out "advice" that is not related to her field of
expertise.

Exactly!

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old January 24th 05, 01:02 AM
bb

N2EY wrote:

Dr Laura is shelling out "advice" that is not related to her field

of
expertise.

Exactly!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Now one has to have an advanced degree in "Commonsensology" to be able
to advocate such progressive ideas as faithfullness to marriage vows, a
responsiblity to raise your children as a parent and not as their
buddy, and forgiveness of those who've offended you. So sad.

Old January 24th 05, 02:17 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

N2EY wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Jeffrey Herman wrote:

On 23 Jan 2005 00:30:49 GMT, N2EY wrote:

What I find interesting about "Dr." Laura is that she doesn't/hasn't lived
up to the very values she preaches to others. For example, she insists
on being called "Doctor" - but she's not an MD, Psy. D or even Ed.D.
She's got a Ph.D, but not in human psychology or therapy.

The "D" stands for "doctor." One can be a doctor of mathematics, doctor
of chemistry, doctor of medicine, doctor of psychology, et cetera.

My favorite is doctor of electrical engineering.

Does that mean they can fix a Hi-Fi?

Old January 24th 05, 02:41 AM
Phil Kane

On 24 Jan 2005 00:35:37 GMT, N2EY wrote:

All can use the title "doctor."

Yes, they can. But most that I know do not *require* it, outside
their field of expertise.

My brother-in-law has a PhD in Physiology (his field of expertise is
geriatic physiology). His "daytime" job is as a profusionist - the
expert who operates the heart-lung bypass machine during open-heart
surgery. For many years he was a professor and then department head
in his field at a famous teaching hospital.

In class, he was "Professor". In academic meetings he was "Doctor".
In the operating room he was "Mister" (he wasn't an MD - he knew too
much for that!) although he was usually referred to by his first
name. And yes, all the docs, including the anesthesiologists, asked
him for advice on how much and what kind of anesthesia to administer.

Heck, even a lawyers can use that title due
their degree being a Juris Doctor ("Doctor of Law").

Yup, I got one of those. AFAIK there are no US law schools which
grant a Batchelor of Laws degree any more.

But they don't usually do that.

Rumor has it that the only place in the US that does is a certain
part of Michigan but I don't have any first-hand info to prove that.

In the Eastern hemisphere lawyers are referred to as "Doctor" but
only if they have the graduate degree (in most countries there law
is an undergraduate degree program).

As an aside, the British do not call American PhD holders "Doctor"
because the attitude there is that the US schools hand the degree
out like candy. In a recent BBC broadcast about Condoleeza Rice,
she was referred to as "Miss Rice" continuously.

Similarly, a dentist there is called "Mister" even though the
coursework and training is as rigorous as that of a medical doctor.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old January 24th 05, 02:59 AM
Phil Kane

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:17:35 -0700, Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:

My favorite is doctor of electrical engineering.

Does that mean they can fix a Hi-Fi?

Some can, some can't!!

Several of my classmates from engineering school went on to get a
Doctorate in Electrcal Engineering (DEE) degree. It just involves a
hell of a lot of theoretical coursework and a research dissertation.

That path never interested me - I'm too much of a practical, rather
than a research, engineer.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old January 24th 05, 12:41 PM
Kim

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Dr Laura is shelling out "advice" that is not related to her field of
expertise.

Exactly!

73 de Jim, N2EY

"Dr" Laura is a buffoon...man, I can't stand that woman!

Kim W5TIT