Old January 21st 05, 03:54 PM

Default FCC Chairman To Resign

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6852019/

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 21st 05, 05:36 PM
King Zulu

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6852019/

73 de Jim, N2EY

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050121/D87OIUJG0.html
Jan 21, 11:35 AM (ET)
By TED BRIDIS
(AP) Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell speaks at
the National Press Club in...
.. . .
"Powell, a champion of deregulation who critics say is too pro-big business,
rose from commissioner to chairman when Bush took office in 2001. His term
was to run until 2007."
.. . .
Powell led the Republican-dominated FCC in easing decades-old rules
governing ownership of newspapers and television and radio stations.
.. . .
- - - - - - -
No mention was made of his selling out to the power companies in support of
BPL.
Now, can anyone worse be nominated for FCC Chairman?

ak

Old January 21st 05, 05:51 PM
Mike Coslo

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6852019/

73 de Jim, N2EY

I hear Jimmy Swaggart is next in line.....;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 21st 05, 06:05 PM

Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6852019/

73 de Jim, N2EY

I hear Jimmy Swaggart is next in line.....;^)

Eric Idle has a song about the FCC. 3.1 MB download:

WARNING! CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE AND ENOUGH POLITICAL CONTENT TO
OFFEND ALMOST EVERYONE!

http://www.pythonline.com/plugs/idle/index.shtml
click the download link

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 22nd 05, 01:40 AM
Mike Coslo

Mike Coslo wrote:

wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6852019/

73 de Jim, N2EY

I hear Jimmy Swaggart is next in line.....;^)

Eric Idle has a song about the FCC. 3.1 MB download:

WARNING! CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE AND ENOUGH POLITICAL CONTENT TO
OFFEND ALMOST EVERYONE!

http://www.pythonline.com/plugs/idle/index.shtml
click the download link

Now THAT is funny!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 22nd 05, 03:09 PM
King Zulu

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6852019/

73 de Jim, N2EY

I hear Jimmy Swaggart is next in line.....;^)

I would find Swaggart much more preferable than the dumbbell commissioner
Kathleen Q. Abernathy. The first requirement for FCC chief should be NO law
degree. Some brains and some technical comprehension would be a plus.

ak

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 22nd 05, 05:50 PM
robert casey

I would find Swaggart much more preferable than the dumbbell commissioner
Kathleen Q. Abernathy. The first requirement for FCC chief should be NO law
degree. Some brains and some technical comprehension would be a plus.

No, someone who actually understands the physics of radio
could never run the Funny Cookie Corporation. You need
someone who writes screwball regulations like "A radio
station will not be allowed to own the translator
(repeater) it uses to get heard in another area".
Why would that matter?
Old January 22nd 05, 10:27 PM
ai8o

" I would find Swaggart much more preferable than the dumbbell commissioner
Kathleen Q. Abernathy.

The first requirement for FCC chief should be NO law
degree.

Some brains and some technical comprehension would be a plus.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here.
The FCC commissioners are all WASH DC political hacks. LOTS of
"connections", but NO TECHNICAL experience.

IF you're going to write regulations for a very technical subject area, you
have to have the technical expertise and ability to understand what the
consequences of your rules and regulations are. Technical competence, NOT
the fact that you were a legislative assistant to a senator from North
Dakota, or on the board of zoning appeals, will make you effective.
Otherwise, you will be BS'ed by lobbyists that have an axe to grind, and you
will make poor regulatory decisions with poor outcomes, because you can't
forsee the unexpected consequences of you new regulations.

Abernathy is NOT stupid.
She is just a technically illiterate lawyer.
She doesn't understand RF,propagation or antenna theory, consequently, BPL
which is touted to bring the internet to the rural masses, sounds wonderful.

I should be the next FCC commisioner.

Dan
AI8O

Old January 23rd 05, 01:07 AM
King Zulu

"ai8o" wrote in message

[...]

Depends on how you define stupid, I suppose.

She is just a technically illiterate lawyer.
She doesn't understand RF,propagation or antenna theory, consequently, BPL
which is touted to bring the internet to the rural masses, sounds

wonderful.

I should be the next FCC commisioner.

I could vote for that, Dan. I'm an ex-8lander living in NC also. I didn't
keep my 2x1 call, however.

ak

Old January 23rd 05, 02:19 AM
Phil Kane

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:27:30 -0500, ai8o wrote:

The FCC commissioners are all WASH DC political hacks. LOTS of
"connections", but NO TECHNICAL experience.

Technical experience by itself isn't necessary if the Commissioner(s)
has/have an Engineering Assistant whose job is to absorb the technical
stuff and lay it out in a manner that the Commissioner can understand
and act on.

The good Commissioners have all had such folks on their staff. None
of the current ones do, although I could be wrong in regard to
Commissioners Copps and Adelstein, the only two with brains.

Several decades ago a former colleague of mine started a movement to
get the Communications Act changed to mandate that at least one
Commissioner have a degree in engineering or physics or be a
Registered Professional Engineer. Although most of the engineers
supported that, it went absolutely nowhere.

The last "engineer" Commissioner was George Sterling in the late
1940s. During WW-II he had headed up the Radio Intelligence Division
which chased German and Japanese spies using radio. He was also the
last Commissioner who was a licensed ham during his time at the agency.

Common sense and a good grasp of what communication regulation
should be is what is really needed. Rubber stamps can be obtained
at any office supply store.

Two more electron's worth....

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane