Old February 25th 05, 08:50 PM
Mark

Default Cell Phone Jammers

Wait till the first customer chokes or has a heart attack or whatever
and someone tries to dial 911 and can't. That will be a great lawsuit.

If I want my phone off, I'll turn it off.

Mark

Old February 26th 05, 01:37 AM
Buck

On 25 Feb 2005 12:50:58 -0800, "Mark" wrote:

Wait till the first customer chokes or has a heart attack or whatever
and someone tries to dial 911 and can't. That will be a great lawsuit.

If I want my phone off, I'll turn it off.

Mark

Hospitals, government buildings and various other places that don't
allow cell phones automatically turn off cell phones. They seem to be
growing in popularity. The cell phones are designed with that ability
built in for that purpose.

If you are in a place that disables a cell phone, you may find out you
are somewhere near a LL and the employees will likely let you use it
for an emergency. If not, then you WILL have a lawsuit.

--
73 for now
Buck
Old February 26th 05, 12:25 PM
Airy R.Bean

Here in Britland, _ALL_ public phone services are
habitually turned off in the case of an emergency
covering a widespread area.

No help to you if your arse is on fire 'cos you won't
be able to summon either the fire brigade or an
ambulance at a time when you most need it!

"Freddy Boe" wrote in message
"Mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wait till the first customer chokes or has a heart attack or whatever
and someone tries to dial 911 and can't. That will be a great lawsuit.
If I want my phone off, I'll turn it off.

Duhhhhhhhhhhh, ever hear of a *wired* phone?

Old February 26th 05, 12:26 PM
Airy R.Bean

How refreshing for a Yanklander to recognise the
essence of all those Yankland lawsuits!

BULL****!

Old March 15th 05, 12:52 AM
Terry

"Airy R.Bean" wrote in message
Here in Britland, _ALL_ public phone services are
habitually turned off in the case of an emergency
covering a widespread area.

No help to you if your arse is on fire 'cos you won't
be able to summon either the fire brigade or an
ambulance at a time when you most need it!

Hey. Mr Bean;
So amateur radio to the rescue. Eh?
But pray tell; there must be some reasoning to that decision.
Is it possible that everyone rushes to the nearest phone and ......
"Hey mum there's fire somewhere down your way. Call me back when you find
out who it is! OK?"
Or why ........................ ?
Interesting! Your comment would be welcome.

Old March 15th 05, 12:57 AM
Terry

"Mark" wrote in (in part) in message
ups.com...
........................... snip ...........
If I want my phone off, I'll turn it off.

Mark

Mark; are you an American by any chance?

Old March 15th 05, 01:23 AM
Terry

"Buck" wrote in message
Hospitals, government buildings and various other places that don't
allow cell phones automatically turn off cell phones. They seem to be
growing in popularity. The cell phones are designed with that ability
built in for that purpose.

Buck: Interesting; thanks for the info.
Hadn't heard of that feature/service before! Sounds like a good idea for
critical zones. But imagine just 'driving by' a hospital/medical facility
and the cell phone shuts off! :-)
Recently I was walking through a hospital to visit daughter who had just
come from an operation, when my pocketed cell phone rang. I had forgotten to
turn it off when entering the hospital as required; did so without answering
it.
What has worried me a few times is to see someone weaving down the road and
then driving alongside observe them engaged in an animated cell phone
conversation! Love to have a 'jammer' on those few occasions.
Regulation now, in this jurisdiction, is that one is supposed to at least
use a headset, to phone while driving. Not that that IMHO is the whole
answer! The idea being that you keep your hands on the controls and your
head is not canted over holding the cell phone against ones shoulder. Some
statistics indicate, although it's too soon to tell, that accidents
involving cell phone use are 'somewhat' reduced. That makes sense because
despite the increased awareness the regulation is broken more often than
observed, due to lax enforcement.
Its amazing how well cell phones work; even inside steel framed and metal
clad buildings. It's not uncommon to see husband inside
s.market/Wal-mart/COSTCO etc. phone in hand asking wifey "What
size/brand/how much of ... is it that you want etc.".
And now cell phones even take pictures! "Did I show you my new tattoo
......... ". I'm afraid we've become a society of push-buttoners. On one
occasion, here, a cell phone rang during a funeral; and the owner answered
it! Now there's a good use for a jammer. Attach it to the casket and keep it
switched on until the memorial service is over!
Thanks to all for the info in this thread.