Old February 27th 05, 02:39 PM
K4YZ

Default Has It Come To This...?!?!

QUOTE FROM ARRL WEBSITE

New QST column aims to take mystery out of modern ham gear (Feb 25,
2005) -- A new column, "Getting to Know Your Radio" will debut in the
April edition of QST. Author and ARRL Product Review Editor Joel
Hallas, W1ZR, says the column "basically talks about what all those
knobs do" on modern equipment. "The idea is to acquaint users with the
typical features of modern radios."

UNQUOTE

It seems to me that if you have the scratch to spring for one of
the new MegaBux RiceBurners you could spend a couple hours with the
Owner's Manual to learn how to use it.

Or is that expecting too much...???

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old February 27th 05, 03:03 PM
Dee Flint

"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
QUOTE FROM ARRL WEBSITE

New QST column aims to take mystery out of modern ham gear (Feb 25,
2005) -- A new column, "Getting to Know Your Radio" will debut in the
April edition of QST. Author and ARRL Product Review Editor Joel
Hallas, W1ZR, says the column "basically talks about what all those
knobs do" on modern equipment. "The idea is to acquaint users with the
typical features of modern radios."

UNQUOTE

It seems to me that if you have the scratch to spring for one of
the new MegaBux RiceBurners you could spend a couple hours with the
Owner's Manual to learn how to use it.

Or is that expecting too much...???

73

Steve, K4YZ

I think the problem comes from absolute beginners buying the most complex
radios they can find. I've helped out several who had already made a
sincere effort to understand the manuals and still couldn't get the proper
results. The manuals are generally mediocre at best.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 27th 05, 03:10 PM
Buck

On 27 Feb 2005 06:39:00 -0800, "K4YZ" wrote:

It seems to me that if you have the scratch to spring for one of
the new MegaBux RiceBurners you could spend a couple hours with the
Owner's Manual to learn how to use it.

Or is that expecting too much...???

73

Steve, K4YZ

Steve,
I want to agree with you, but unfortunately, radio manuals seem to be
getting more and more cryptic as the equipment is getting more
complex.

I purchased the Yaesu FT-817 radio. I went through the manual several
times before I thought I understood the rig. I ordered the Nifty
Manual for it and learned that I misunderstood the manual. The Nifty
made it more easy to understand. When I bought my IC-706 MKII, I
ordered the manual thinking I would have the same problem. In this
case, I didn't. The Icom manual was better at explaining how to use
the features and functions of the radio. The Nifty manual is in my
car in case I need to find something or if someone else needs to know
how to use the rig, but compared to the Yaesu, the Icom was much more
logically laid out and had much better instructions.

I know that this is only one example, but if someone working for Nifty
were asked, I am sure they would tell you that they are making a
pretty good profit just clarifying radio manuals.

Buck
--
For what it's worth.
Old February 27th 05, 07:52 PM
bb

Buck wrote:
[...]

Buck, you have to realize that Steve is Superham. Don't get on his bad
side (you're on pretty thin ice with your reply).

Old February 27th 05, 09:25 PM
sombra

RE Nifty Acc

Well by the time you deduct advertising costs, check magazines for rates --
outta sight.

Invest several thousand dollars for a color laser printer and lamininating
equipment.

Spend coupla hundred bucks for a Ham convention booth, hotel and travel, and
then pay income tax and credit card fees -- I suspect the good profit you
spoke ain't what you might think.

Been there done that
Lamont Cranston

Old February 28th 05, 04:24 AM
Buck

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:25:09 -0800, "sombra"
wrote:

RE Nifty Acc

Well by the time you deduct advertising costs, check magazines for rates --
outta sight.

Invest several thousand dollars for a color laser printer and lamininating
equipment.

Spend coupla hundred bucks for a Ham convention booth, hotel and travel, and
then pay income tax and credit card fees -- I suspect the good profit you
spoke ain't what you might think.

Been there done that
Lamont Cranston

True, but the one thing you missed is that they order their laminated
pages pre-printed and cut. The idea is still true, there is a real
demand for many of their products.

I know what you mean though. 'there is no such thing as a free lunch'

Buck
--
For what it's worth.
Old February 28th 05, 04:28 AM
JAMES HAMPTON

"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
QUOTE FROM ARRL WEBSITE

New QST column aims to take mystery out of modern ham gear (Feb 25,
2005) -- A new column, "Getting to Know Your Radio" will debut in the
April edition of QST. Author and ARRL Product Review Editor Joel
Hallas, W1ZR, says the column "basically talks about what all those
knobs do" on modern equipment. "The idea is to acquaint users with the
typical features of modern radios."

UNQUOTE

It seems to me that if you have the scratch to spring for one of
the new MegaBux RiceBurners you could spend a couple hours with the
Owner's Manual to learn how to use it.

Or is that expecting too much...???

73

Steve, K4YZ

Hello, Steve

I'll be honest; I hate most modern controls. Whether radios or tv remote
controls, the buttons are small (not great for us folks with bifulcrums) and
usually multi-function.

I'd prefer two readouts - one for transmit frequency, one for receive, and
*two* different full size knobs to tune them. I hate it when you have to
press a "function" key with one finger, another key with a different finger,
and then take your shoes off to free up a couple of toes to access some
stupid function that might better be available with its' own control
(perhaps on the back of the rig if it is seldom used).

Oh well .... getting old beats the heck out of the alternative, I guess )

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old February 28th 05, 01:49 PM
K4YZ

JAMES HAMPTON wrote:

I'd prefer two readouts - one for transmit frequency, one for

receive, and
*two* different full size knobs to tune them. I hate it when you

have to
press a "function" key with one finger, another key with a different

finger,
and then take your shoes off to free up a couple of toes to access

some
stupid function that might better be available with its' own control
(perhaps on the back of the rig if it is seldom used).

Oh well .... getting old beats the heck out of the alternative, I

guess )

It's already been done, Jim.

It was called the "external VFO". Also accomplished by using
"seperates". A seperate transmitter and receiver... =)

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 2nd 05, 05:48 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

JAMES HAMPTON wrote:

[...]

Been there, worn that T-shirt in the 60s LOL

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

ps -anyone care to help me shovel snow? Man, will this sh*t ever end?

Old March 3rd 05, 06:37 AM
K4YZ

JAMES HAMPTON wrote:
"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

Been there, worn that T-shirt in the 60s LOL

And I'll bet ya it still fits!

ps -anyone care to help me shovel snow? Man, will this sh*t ever

end?

Ya wanna laugh (or cry?), Jim...???

If you didn't already know, I grew up in NE Ohio, just south of
Cleveland, so I spent my fair share of days standing in blustery,
blowing snow waiting for the school bus.

Zap forward 20+ years and I moved to SE Tennessee after I left the
USMC. Imagine my surprise when I find out "snow days" are called just
on the THREAT of snow, let alone it actually falling! An inch of snow
around here is reason for the tribes to swamp the Food Lion "gathering
in the goods" for the "blizzard"...!!!!!!!

Dig, Brother, Dig!

73

Steve, K4YZ

PS: Lotsa folks from OH wound up in TN cuz they had a snow shovel
strapped in the pick-up truck...They unloaded the truck when a local
said "Wassdat fo?"

SR