Old March 11th 05, 12:22 PM
Kim

Default Mobile Radio Installation for Mazda Tribute

Anyone have a mobile radion installation in a Mazda vehicle? Mine is the
SUV-style and I am just looking for ideas on antennas that have worked,
comments on any noise problems, placement of radio, etc.

Kim W5TIT

Old March 11th 05, 12:56 PM
Mike Coslo

Kim wrote:
Anyone have a mobile radion installation in a Mazda vehicle? Mine is the
SUV-style and I am just looking for ideas on antennas that have worked,
comments on any noise problems, placement of radio, etc.

Radio placement in new vehicles can be a problem. If this is a VHF
radio, I have an idea based on what I did in my Suzuki Vitara.

I used one of my coffee cup holders on the center console. I made a
plaster of paris insert that fit in the hole, had a copper pipe set in
the middle of it, and attached the radio to the copper pipe. I put
plastic wrap around the inside of the hole. to keep it from sticking,
and when the plaster cured, I took an old black sock, plopped the
plaster piece in it, cut the sock off at the top of the piece, tucked
the edges in and tied it off with a tie wrap. Sounds strange, but it
actually looks pretty good, and the radio can come out and be put back
in in seconds.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 11th 05, 05:10 PM
King Zulu

I had an aluminum custom rear mounting plate made that attaches under the
bumper to the chassis - using existing mounting holes. But it's a 626 auto,
not an SUV. I like mobile CW. It was lots of fun, commuting to downtown
Cinci through all the lights, with a 5-speed manual transmission and sending
CW wit the Bull Dog paddle in the cup holder. Still safer than a cell
phone - my head was never leaning over to hear the telephone. HI Now I use
the MFJ "screwdriver" with the 12 foot extension up - when I'm waiting for
the XYL to do her shopping. (The MFJ "screwdriver" is a manually adjusted
base loaded coil, but fairly easily set to any band with the coil and
pull-up sectioned [zipup] vertical element.) Let me know if you find a good
solution for the Mazda alternator noise. That was always a problem in
commuting days when I used a 4-band Comet HF antenna on the road.
AK

m...

Old March 11th 05, 09:47 PM
garigue

..Sounds strange, but it
actually looks pretty good, and the radio can come out and be put back
in in seconds.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Hello Mike ..... sounds pretty nifty ...I just got a Matrix 2 wks ago and
this may prove to be the way to go ..... a
Coslofixture TM

73 Tom Popovic KI3R Belle Vernon Pa

ps Kim .....I always have had good service with Madzas over the years .....
good luck with the Tribute. .. 73 Tom

Old March 12th 05, 01:42 PM
Kim

Wow, Mike! So, let me get this straight...you have an installation where,
because of the custom base you designed, you can lift the whole
"kitandkaboodle" up out of the cupholder? I hope I have it right.

That's a great idea--and maybe even better in terms of conceptually. I am
going to think about all the moldable, bendable, creatable (where things
like plaster of paris AND that acrylic stuff and others) are concerned and
see what I can come up with.

My husband's company is a canvas products company and for years I have been
trying to conjure up a "mobile sling" for radio installation in vehicles
where--especially in emergency conditions--the sling could be removed from a
vehicle and placed onto the body, another car, wagon, etc., for operability
in remote areas. And, yes, I count in the battery pack space needed, etc.
Haven't come up with one yet.

Kim W5TIT

Old March 12th 05, 01:51 PM
Kim

Thanks, Tom! My absolute heart-throb of a vehicle is the Xterra! My
absolute had-to-have-'cause-I-could-aford was my Toyota Tacoma, spiffed up
with the SR5 package and all the good stuff: bed liner, etc. However, my
parents are getting to the point where I had to confront transporting them
someday and my mom had an awful time getting up into my pickup truck. And,
for the four of us--mom, dad, hubby, me--to go anywhere in one vehicle was
not even in the picture.

Now, they--the parents--had gone out and bought a T&C van...but I just don't
relish those types of vehicles. Maybe once I tried them (vans) it would be
OK...but they just don't look like something I want to be driving as even I
get older. I am a turn-my-head-all-the-way-around-to-look-over-my-shoulder
driver, and I sure would have to have a owl's capability to see as far back
as I'd like to with a van...LOL

Gotta dash...no pun intended (referring to the multitude of dashes in my
post: sorry)...

Hey, by the way, my sis is up in Allentown. You around there anywhere? She
just moved back up north a couple of years ago after having been in Texas
for a little over 20 years. She LOVED the winter this year, as would I. We
are all originally from up above Albany, NY--so long, hard, deep Winters
still remind us of what a great challenge it was to get from one season to
the next!

Kim W5TIT

Old March 12th 05, 06:54 PM
Mike Coslo

Kim wrote:

Wow, Mike! So, let me get this straight...you have an installation where,
because of the custom base you designed, you can lift the whole
"kitandkaboodle" up out of the cupholder? I hope I have it right.

Yup! After molding the holder, the sock around it makes for a snug fit,
and it looks pretty nice. And the ability to lift it out is handy

That's a great idea--and maybe even better in terms of conceptually. I am
going to think about all the moldable, bendable, creatable (where things
like plaster of paris AND that acrylic stuff and others) are concerned and
see what I can come up with.

Even stuff like Play-Doh can work because once it dries you cover it
with the outer cloth, and it looks okay. I must admit, pouring the
plaster of Paris was a little unnreving ni a new vehicle, but it worked
okay.

My husband's company is a canvas products company and for years I have been
trying to conjure up a "mobile sling" for radio installation in vehicles
where--especially in emergency conditions--the sling could be removed from a
vehicle and placed onto the body, another car, wagon, etc., for operability
in remote areas. And, yes, I count in the battery pack space needed, etc.
Haven't come up with one yet.

Well, you could maybe incorporate the batteries into the cup holder
mold part. They'd have to be rechargeable of course, and it would be a
bit more work, but I think it should work.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 13th 05, 03:06 PM
garigue

Hi Kim ......No I live about 30 miles S of Pittsburgh ..... just traded
in a 626 which was 10 yrs old .....I would have kept the old girl but the
transmission was just starting to slip. The only thing I have replaced was
a radiator, water pump and 2 CV joints. The water pump was 2 days before I
traded. I do also have a Miata which is now 15 yrs old with about 27 K.
Knock on wood ..... just oil, gas, tires and 2 batteries so far. I have to
get something in my Matrix as I miss my "extended family" on 2 meters.
Again good luck with the Tribute.

God Bless and 73 .... Tom KI3R Belle Vernon Pa