Old March 21st 05, 01:30 AM
Bert Craig

Default AK At Last!!!

Woo Hoo, only WY left for WAS!

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI
FISTS #9384
QRP ARCI #11782

Old March 21st 05, 09:56 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Congratulations. I work lots of WY during various contests. GL.

Dan/W4NTI

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
Woo Hoo, only WY left for WAS!

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old March 25th 05, 10:42 AM

Bert Craig wrote:
Woo Hoo, only WY left for WAS!

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

WOO HOO is right! Congrats!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old March 26th 05, 12:12 AM
Bert Craig

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bert Craig wrote:
Woo Hoo, only WY left for WAS!

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

WOO HOO is right! Congrats!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Thanks Jim.

....and I've a sked set up for Sunday AM with a WY station. :-)

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old March 31st 05, 05:15 PM
clvrmnky

On 20/03/2005 8:30 PM, Bert Craig wrote:
Woo Hoo, only WY left for WAS!

I'm unfamiliar with that acronym, and Google is returning way too many
hits for any permutation I can come up with.

I'm assuming this means "Worked All States?" and you only have Wyoming
to finish. Is this continental US only, or does one count Hawaii? I'm
assuming that state is literal and does not include the various
protectorates?

In my case I guess I could look forward to "Worked All Provinces" though
I have no idea if Canadian Amateurs have such a tradition. Hmmm, I'd
like to include the territories, as well. Maybe the acronym is now
WAP/T? WAP&T? WAPaT?

I'm tempted to use the acronym WAPATI, which is a nice homage to the
aboriginal place- and animal names found in the US and Canada.

Old March 31st 05, 06:19 PM
Caveat Lector

"clvrmnky" wrote in message
On 20/03/2005 8:30 PM, Bert Craig wrote:
Woo Hoo, only WY left for WAS!

I'm unfamiliar with that acronym, and Google is returning way too many
hits for any permutation I can come up with.

I'm assuming this means "Worked All States?" and you only have Wyoming to
finish. Is this continental US only, or does one count Hawaii? I'm
assuming that state is literal and does not include the various
protectorates?

It is the Worked All States (WAS) award, that is all 50 USA states
(including Alaska and Hawaii) no territories. See URL:
http://www.arrl.org/awards/#was

In my case I guess I could look forward to "Worked All Provinces" though I
have no idea if Canadian Amateurs have such a tradition. Hmmm, I'd like
to include the territories, as well. Maybe the acronym is now WAP/T?
WAP&T? WAPaT?

I'm tempted to use the acronym WAPATI, which is a nice homage to the
aboriginal place- and animal names found in the US and Canada.

Canadian Amateur Radio Awards via Canada's National Amateur Radio Society
(RAC)
can be found at URL:
http://www.rac.ca/service/awards.htm

Includes:
Canadaward
5 Band Canadaward
Provincial Capitals Award
Seaway Award
Trans Canada Award
Worked All RAC Award
For a challenge try USA Five Band WAS: URL:
http://www.arrl.org/awards/5bwas/
Another tough one is WAS on Six Meters -- tis possible
And you can try WAS CW
WAZ -- Worked all CQ Zones will keep you busy
http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/wazrules.html
Especially a single band WAZ or 5 band WAZ
And of course the Worked All USA (USA-CW) Counties (3077 of em)
http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/usacarul.html
AND http://countyhunter.com/

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old April 1st 05, 12:09 AM
Dee Flint

"clvrmnky" wrote in message
On 20/03/2005 8:30 PM, Bert Craig wrote:
Woo Hoo, only WY left for WAS!

I'm unfamiliar with that acronym, and Google is returning way too many
hits for any permutation I can come up with.

I'm assuming this means "Worked All States?" and you only have Wyoming to
finish. Is this continental US only, or does one count Hawaii? I'm
assuming that state is literal and does not include the various
protectorates?

Yes it does stand for Worked All States. And all 50 states are needed,
including Alaska and Hawaii. It is indeed literal and territories,
protectorates, etc. are not included.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old April 1st 05, 05:02 PM
clvrmnky

On 31/03/2005 12:19 PM, Caveat Lector wrote:
"clvrmnky" wrote in message

On 20/03/2005 8:30 PM, Bert Craig wrote:

Woo Hoo, only WY left for WAS!

[...]
In my case I guess I could look forward to "Worked All Provinces" though I
have no idea if Canadian Amateurs have such a tradition. Hmmm, I'd like
to include the territories, as well. Maybe the acronym is now WAP/T?
WAP&T? WAPaT?

[...]
Canadian Amateur Radio Awards via Canada's National Amateur Radio Society
(RAC)
can be found at URL:
http://www.rac.ca/service/awards.htm

Includes:
Canadaward
5 Band Canadaward
Provincial Capitals Award
Seaway Award
Trans Canada Award
Worked All RAC Award

I didn't know that these were sanctioned by our respective Amateur Radio
organizations. Interesting.

I'll be stuck above 30Mhz for some time, so DXing is (mostly) out of my
league.
Old April 1st 05, 05:15 PM
K4YZ

clvrmnky wrote:

I'll be stuck above 30Mhz for some time...(SNIP)

You'll only be "stuck" if you don't get out and push a bit!

(UNSNIP)...so DXing is (mostly) out of my league.

You need to check around a bit! WAS and DXCC applies to VHF also.
There's grid square hunting, the satellites, numerous VHF contests
that promote award hunting, etc.

There's sidebanding on VHF (more on 6 and 2 meters, but used for
satellites, too.) Digipeaters, Echolink, etc etc etc.

There's more to Amateur Radio than 2 meter repeaters and HF DX!
(Contrary to the assertions of certain UNlicensed antagonists in the
NG)

73 es Good Luck

Steve, K4YZ

Old April 1st 05, 07:44 PM
Caveat Lector

"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
clvrmnky wrote:

I'll be stuck above 30Mhz for some time...(SNIP)

You'll only be "stuck" if you don't get out and push a bit!

(UNSNIP)...so DXing is (mostly) out of my league.

You need to check around a bit! WAS and DXCC applies to VHF also.
There's grid square hunting, the satellites, numerous VHF contests
that promote award hunting, etc.

There's sidebanding on VHF (more on 6 and 2 meters, but used for
satellites, too.) Digipeaters, Echolink, etc etc etc.

There's more to Amateur Radio than 2 meter repeaters and HF DX!
(Contrary to the assertions of certain UNlicensed antagonists in the
NG)

73 es Good Luck

Steve, K4YZ

For Techs (and others) try six meters DX particularly during sporadic E
"season" May, Jun, July (prime months) -- other months also.

Tis possible to work all states (including Alaska and Hawaii). East coasters
may get the Caribbean and SA as well

With 100 Watts and a Mushcraft 1/2 wave vertical -- got all but 2 states in
a year (need KY and AR)