Old April 7th 05, 04:22 AM
K4YZ

Default VE3SUN / AB6MW Diagnosed With Lung Cancer

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/06/bu...59&partner=AOL

Our best wishes and prayers for Peter Jennings. Truly a man among
men for his courage to stand up to this terrible scourge.

Good luck, Peter.

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old April 7th 05, 04:39 AM
Michael Black

"K4YZ" ) writes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/06/bu...59&partner=AOL

Our best wishes and prayers for Peter Jennings. Truly a man among
men for his courage to stand up to this terrible scourge.

Good luck, Peter.

73

Steve, K4YZ

So which Peter Jennings are you talking about?

Obviously, the news anchor is in the news with cancer.

Are you saying the other Peter Jennings is also in the news with
a health problem?

Because while the Canadian callsign is to a "Peter Jennings" that
US callsign is not. And using the name and callsign, finds a webpage
that includes a reference to "Microchess" which was written by Peter
Jennings.

I doubt the guy on tv is the guy who wrote software.

Michael VE2BVW

Old April 7th 05, 05:05 AM
Mel A. Nomah

"Michael Black" wrote in message

:
: Are you saying the other Peter Jennings is also in the news with
: a health problem?
:

They certainly are two different guys. VE3SUN/AB6WM/C31LJ was born in 1950,
and the TV anchorman was born in 1938.

Maybe it runs in the family and they both have lung cancer?

73,

M.A.N.
--
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord,
make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it."

Old April 7th 05, 11:11 AM
K4YZ

Michael Black wrote:
"K4YZ" ) writes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/06/bu...59&partner=AOL

Our best wishes and prayers for Peter Jennings. Truly a man

among
men for his courage to stand up to this terrible scourge.

Good luck, Peter.

73

Steve, K4YZ

So which Peter Jennings are you talking about?

Obviously, the news anchor is in the news with cancer.

Are you saying the other Peter Jennings is also in the news with
a health problem?

Because while the Canadian callsign is to a "Peter Jennings" that
US callsign is not. And using the name and callsign, finds a webpage
that includes a reference to "Microchess" which was written by Peter
Jennings.

I doubt the guy on tv is the guy who wrote software.

If I have the wrong call, then I was wrong and I stand corrected.
However his name/call was on a list of "celebrities" who were also
licensed Amateurs. I crossed the calls since each call refers to the
other.

If they are not one-in-the same, my apologies to THIS "Peter
Jennings".

And why couldn't the news anchor Peter Jennings have not been the
author of the program you cite? He's obviously a very well educated
person. I bet he walks and chews gum very easily!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old April 8th 05, 08:39 AM
K4YZ

K4YZ wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/06/bu...59&partner=AOL

Our best wishes and prayers for Peter Jennings. Truly a man

among
men for his courage to stand up to this terrible scourge.

Good luck, Peter.

I stand corrected on the US Call...It was AB6WM...Not MW.

Steve, K4YZ

Old April 8th 05, 08:43 AM
Michael Black

"K4YZ" ) writes:
Michael Black wrote:
"K4YZ" ) writes:

[...]

But what happens is that people in wanting to legitimize the hobby,
seek out famous people who happen to have ham licenses. But they
sometimes don't check enough, assuming that someone with the same
name must be the same person. I've seen this before, though I
can't think of examples at the moment.

When I saw your first post, my reaction was "I didn't know he
was a ham" and knowing that this happens, I did check.

I see you made a typo. His call is AB6WM (not AB6MW in the subject
header) and that is indeed allocated to a "Peter R. Jennings" according
to QRZ, while the Radio Amateur's of Canada website show that VE3SUN
belongs to Peter Ralph Jennings.

But under the QRZ entry, there is a link to his website (which I
found earlier with a websearch) http://www.benlo.com and it clearly
isn't the same Peter Jennings.

If they are not one-in-the same, my apologies to THIS "Peter
Jennings".

And why couldn't the news anchor Peter Jennings have not been the
author of the program you cite? He's obviously a very well educated
person. I bet he walks and chews gum very easily!

Because the one with a ham license was relatively known in small
computer circles in the late seventies. You'd read about him, and
no mention of him being a tv anchor. I think he wrote some articles
for the hobby computer magazines, and I think he appeared at early
small computer conventions. Not only would he have been noticed
if he was the news guy, but I don't think his schedule would fit
going to such conventions and such.

He had a company to sell Micro-chess (which originally ran on the KIM-1
in its 1K of memory), but after a while it was merged with Personal
Software. Sometime after that, they started selling Visicalc.

Finally, doing some more websearching turns up this page
http://users.tellurian.com/gjurrens/...ms_rumors.html
that is about mistakes like this, and mentions that Peter Jennings
the ham is not the tv anchor.

Michael VE2BVW

Old April 8th 05, 08:58 AM
K4YZ

Michael Black wrote:
"K4YZ" ) writes:
Michael Black wrote:
"K4YZ" ) writes:

[...]

"...legitimize the hobby..."...?!?!

But they
sometimes don't check enough, assuming that someone with the same
name must be the same person. I've seen this before, though I
can't think of examples at the moment.

When I saw your first post, my reaction was "I didn't know he
was a ham" and knowing that this happens, I did check.

I had seen it in two different references. Obviously both were
wrong, and I have acknowledged that I made the error not checking
further myself.

I see you made a typo. His call is AB6WM (not AB6MW in the subject
header) and that is indeed allocated to a "Peter R. Jennings"

according
to QRZ, while the Radio Amateur's of Canada website show that VE3SUN
belongs to Peter Ralph Jennings.

Yep. I acknowledged that in another post.

But under the QRZ entry, there is a link to his website (which I
found earlier with a websearch) http://www.benlo.com and it clearly
isn't the same Peter Jennings.

If they are not one-in-the same, my apologies to THIS "Peter
Jennings".

And why couldn't the news anchor Peter Jennings have not been

the
author of the program you cite? He's obviously a very well

educated
person. I bet he walks and chews gum very easily!

Because the one with a ham license was relatively known in small
computer circles in the late seventies. You'd read about him, and
no mention of him being a tv anchor.

I have to own up to having never been interested in "computers" in
the 70's. Most of my "experience" with them were home version of
"Pong" and basic file storage systems. I never had much use for one.

I think he wrote some articles
for the hobby computer magazines, and I think he appeared at early
small computer conventions. Not only would he have been noticed
if he was the news guy, but I don't think his schedule would fit
going to such conventions and such.

Again, I've not "followed" either one, so other than occassionally
catching the TV version on the evening news, I really knew nothing of
either.

I will have to state, however, that the TV Jennings IS from
Canada, and hence my reason for so readily accepting the previous
"report" of his being VE3SUN.

He had a company to sell Micro-chess (which originally ran on the

KIM-1
in its 1K of memory), but after a while it was merged with Personal
Software. Sometime after that, they started selling Visicalc.

Finally, doing some more websearching turns up this page
http://users.tellurian.com/gjurrens/...ms_rumors.html
that is about mistakes like this, and mentions that Peter Jennings
the ham is not the tv anchor.

You're quite correct.

However I still offer my deepest and heartfelt wishes for Mr.
Jennings (of ABC) Godspeed in his treatment.

73

Steve, K4YZ