Old April 10th 05, 05:06 AM
Rick Prather

Default Ham Radio Discussion

I came here tonight wondering how far I would have to go in to the
discussion before N9OGL popped up.

Well, only took me one thread. Right on top "blah blah N9OGL"

Can't we get past this, ignore all this troll bait and just have a
productive Ham Radio discussion forum?

If not, 73!

Rick
K6LE

Old April 10th 05, 05:12 AM
Hoke

"Rick Prather" wrote in message
oups.com...
I came here tonight wondering how far I would have to go in to the
discussion before N9OGL popped up.

Well, only took me one thread. Right on top "blah blah N9OGL"

Can't we get past this, ignore all this troll bait and just have a
productive Ham Radio discussion forum?

If not, 73!

Rick
K6LE

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Old April 10th 05, 09:50 AM
K4YZ

Rick Prather wrote:
I came here tonight wondering how far I would have to go in to the
discussion before N9OGL popped up.

Well, only took me one thread. Right on top "blah blah N9OGL"

Can't we get past this, ignore all this troll bait and just have a
productive Ham Radio discussion forum?

If not, 73!

Hi Rick. This forum long-since lost any pretense of being a truly
viable forum for the discussion of valid issues.

It's solely for mudwrestling. Of course QRZ and eHam DO have open
forums that are very productive and don't tend to tolerate the likes of
some of our own ner-do-wells. That's where I go when I want to
read/participate in anything remotely approaching a "productive Ham
Radio discussion forum".

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old April 10th 05, 12:29 PM
Dee Flint

"Rick Prather" wrote in message
oups.com...
I came here tonight wondering how far I would have to go in to the
discussion before N9OGL popped up.

Well, only took me one thread. Right on top "blah blah N9OGL"

Can't we get past this, ignore all this troll bait and just have a
productive Ham Radio discussion forum?

If not, 73!

Rick
K6LE

Just filter out the annoying threads. I've been waiting for an interesting
discussion to pop up so if you've got any ideas, throw them into the arena
under a new thread.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old April 10th 05, 01:14 PM
K4YZ

Dee Flint wrote:

Just filter out the annoying threads. I've been waiting for an

interesting
discussion to pop up so if you've got any ideas, throw them into the

arena
under a new thread.

I don't see it happening, Dee.

There's been numerous attemps to truly use this forum in a
productive and meaningful way, but it always wind's up being pulled
into yet another "elitist extras ruining ham radio becasue of morse
code" rantfests.

Myself and a couple other posters, on varying occassions, have
tried to discuss and promote the various spectrum protection
initiatives, for example.

Every one that I started was immediately beset upon by
you-know-who and his usual "the real issue is Morse Code
testing...)rantings. The other two weren't any more successful.

And so far we (Amateur Radio in general) have gone through four or
five evolutions of bills in Washington without success...Of course the
argument AGAINST discussing them HERE is that, allegedly, everyone
"supports" the idea...Well...Obviously not.

Most digital or technical issues wind up on TAPR or other sites,
as do other specialized discussions. Witness Mike Coslo's opening of
the subject of high altitude balloons and telemetery.

My other "try to be serious" issues have dealt with redefining the
WRITTEN tests and their objectives, since "dumbing down" seems to be an
area of contention. Well, no one wants to discuss doing anything other
than making fewer tests and making them easier...as if having the
verbatim questions and answers isn't already easy enough. If we
finally get it down to fifty cents and two cereal box tops, someone
will want it to be one box top....

No...I don't think THIS particular forum will ever produce a
single viable discussion with any palpable results. Without the
infrastructure of a guided discussion, nothing productive is possible.

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old April 10th 05, 03:13 PM
Mel A. Nomah

"Rick Prather" wrote in message
oups.com...

: Can't we get past this, ignore all this troll bait and just have a
: productive Ham Radio discussion forum?
:
: If not, 73!
:
: Rick
: K6LE

Rick,

Welcome to the newsgroup formerly know as rec.amateur.radio.policy.
Unfortunately you've arrived too late, kinda like arriving for a dinner
party after the guests have long departed and the fly eggs have hatched and
maggots are infesting the leftovers.

The last amateur radio discussion here was terminated in a previous century,
and all the hams have left. Only the maggots remain.

M.A.N.
--
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord,
make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it."

Old April 10th 05, 05:47 PM
Rick Prather

K4YZ wrote:
Rick Prather wrote:
[...]

Steve,

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess what I suspected is true.

I'll try QRZ and eHam and move on.

I almost hate to ask this because the idiots will probably come out of
the woodwork but what is it, do you suppose, that motivates people to
hang out on a Newsgroup or forum for the sole purpose of starting a
flame?

If you go to a Mac group there are the PC/Linux dudes telling everyone
what fools they are to use a Mac. On the Ham Radio groups there are a
bunch of jerks telling everyone what idiots hams are, the higher the
license class the bigger the idiot!

If they aren't interested in the things being discussed on a given
forum why do they read it and then feel compelled to jump in?

My guess is that on the Radio groups the troublemakers are mostly the
ones that can't cut it and they have to take it out on the ones that
can.

On the Mac (or whatever) groups they feel they have made the only
"right" decision and they must tell everyone how superior their logic
is and what cretins the rest are for not seeing the world their way.

Oh the sadness of what I call "digital thinking"

Rick
K6LE

Old April 10th 05, 08:36 PM
robert casey

Rick Prather wrote:

Can't we get past this, ignore all this troll bait and just have a
productive Ham Radio discussion forum?

The charter specifies that only flame wars vaguely related
to ham radio be posted..... ;-)
Old April 10th 05, 08:42 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mel A. Nomah" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

That is not so at all. Some of us like to keep the malcontents straight. I
am deciding which list to put you on...hi.

Dan/W4NTI

Old April 10th 05, 10:30 PM
Hoke

K4YZ wrote:
Rick Prather wrote:
[...]

*Your* problem is obvious. You are a whiney crybaby who likes to go
around complaining about anything and everything.
BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH