Old May 3rd 05, 11:17 PM
Dee Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

KØHB wrote:

The growth in numbers of Amateurs over the past decade
has been overwhelmingly via the Technician license.

.... since about 1987 or so, most new hams
have started out as Technicians.

Jim, we can nit-pick the semantics if you really think that's productive,
but the two statements above both seem to convey the same notion, which we
might more clearly state "Most new hams since 1991 have entered via the
Technician class which is now the largest single license class in the US,
comprising almost half (47.7%) of the population of licensees in this
country, nearly equal to the combined total population of the three higher
classes.".

73, de Hans, K0HB

In any activity it would be normal for the "beginners" group to be the
largest segment. There are always a lot of people who start activities but
then drop out for a wide variety of reasons.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 3rd 05, 11:31 PM
KØHB

"Dee Flint" wrote

In any activity it would be normal for the "beginners" group to be the largest
segment. There are always a
lot of people who start activities but then drop out
for a wide variety of reasons.

Astute observation. It would be nice to find a way reduce that "first termer"
attrition by promoting an atmosphere which reinforces the reasons they took the
time and trouble to come aboard. To steal an idea from marketing, "It's usually
a lot easier and cheaper to keep an old customer than to identify and recruit a
new one."

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 3rd 05, 11:36 PM
KØHB

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

Overall I like the ideas. So who is going to take on the job of spearheading
this.

As many of us as possible!

But it might not be as big a battle as you'd guess. I posted this same idea on
QRZ.COM this morning and within the hour received a phone call from W5JBP. We
spent a full half-hour exploring the PBI.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 4th 05, 12:03 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

KØHB wrote:

The growth in numbers of Amateurs over the past decade
has been overwhelmingly via the Technician license.

.... since about 1987 or so, most new hams
have started out as Technicians.

Jim, we can nit-pick the semantics if you really think that's productive, but
the two statements above both seem to convey the same notion, which we might
more clearly state "Most new hams since 1991 have entered via the Technician
class which is now the largest single license class in the US, comprising almost
half (47.7%) of the population of licensees in this country, nearly equal to the
combined total population of the three higher classes.".

Even if we do pick the nits, you have a point that is valid. A lot of
Technicians elect not to join the ARRL.

During the time that I was a Tech, I didn't think that the league was
relevant to what I was doing in Ham radio.

You know, stuff like helping with walkathons, 4-H events, Bike races....

Sound familiar to what you wrote? For about 2 years, the type of Ham
you spoke of was ME.

After I got my General license, I decided that ARRL was relevant to my
new interests.

And personal experience, not just opinion, is why I agree with you.

Event support is an overlooked area. Instead of the sometimes
(rightfully so) rigid protocols of the serious emergency work, it allows
the new guys and gals to get used to the idea of communications with
other people. We handle traffic, call for and receive assistance for the
occasional boo-boo, and occasional serious problem, but in a more
relaxed atmosphere. This is great for the new folks. It needs to be
encouraged.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 4th 05, 12:10 AM
Mike Coslo

Dee Flint wrote:

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
groups.com...

KØHB wrote:

[...]

Every person that drops out is one small failure on our part.

We need to cultivate these new folk into the ARS. They are a resource
that is being largely ignored by the "better Hams".

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 4th 05, 12:39 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Bill Sohl wrote:

From the different organizations I've been involved with, I think the
larger beginner "drop-out" is just a truth of human nature. I've seen it
in scouting, college, classic car clubs, etc. Exactly why newcomers move
on to other pursuits is one of life's mysteries in most cases.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

With many people as soon as the new wears off and their initial
curiosity is satisfied, they move on to something new. Call it a short
attention span I guess.
Old May 4th 05, 12:43 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

bb wrote:

You're a bit early. The Novice was the entry level license at that
time. Technician was the consolation prize for passing the General
exam, but failing the 13wpm exam.

Which still granted one the Novice privilege. Someone earlier posted
that when the Novice upgraded he lost Novice priviledges. Not so.
Old May 4th 05, 01:04 AM
bb

The League should go out into the trenches in volume and, for

openers,
start asking all the Techs who are not ARRL members why they aren't
members and what the League needs to do to pry the forty bucks a year
out of them. Then properly analyze the results of the surveys and

make
the appropriate changes in their product line. Shuffling SM's duties
around and talking up ham radio to the town burghers, etc., etc. as
"potential solutions" would drive a real marketeer to tears of
laughter.

w3rv

I just received the reminder that I asked for when my membership is due
to expire. If I make it to Dayton I'll renew. If I don't, I won't. I
almost read last month's QST. I won't miss it.

Old May 4th 05, 01:10 AM
bb

The League needs to recognize/concede that it has a serious

marketing
problem and address the problem the same way other businesses do in
these situations. They have a product line which isn't selling to a
large sector of their potential buyers. Why? Nobody actually knows.

And
nobody will know until the League finds out why the Techs aren't

buying
their wares.

Here's one big reason:

The League is a *national* organization. Focused mostly on national,
international, and regional issues, and not so much local ones.

Hmmmm? Why have they formed Divisions and Sections, ARES and NTS?

Now if a ham's focus and interest are national or international, the
League can have a lot to offer. But at the local level, how much the
ARRL can offer someone depends entirely on who the local folks are.

As a prime example, look at QST. How much of it is devoted to purely
local stuff? Not much - the mag would have to be huge to cover ever
locality in any depth at all. So why should someone whose main

interest
in amateur radio is the folks within, say, 50 miles, shell out $40/yr
for a membership?

73 de Jim, N2EY

The ARRL has made an effort to get web pages up for each division and
section. That is the method they use of distributing regional and
local information.

Old May 4th 05, 01:19 AM
bb

Mike Coslo wrote:
K=D8HB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

K=D8HB wrote:

[...]

You echo Len's observation. The ARRL is about HF radio using Morse
Code.