Old May 5th 05, 12:29 AM
Dee Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Dee Flint" wrote

In any activity it would be normal for the "beginners" group to be the
largest segment. There are always a
lot of people who start activities but then drop out
for a wide variety of reasons.

Astute observation. It would be nice to find a way reduce that "first
termer" attrition by promoting an atmosphere which reinforces the reasons
they took the time and trouble to come aboard. To steal an idea from
marketing, "It's usually a lot easier and cheaper to keep an old customer
than to identify and recruit a new one."

73, de Hans, K0HB

There will always be some we won't be able to keep no matter how hard we
try. There will always be some who were just trying it out to see if they
would like it but then found that they preferred other activities more. And
that's ok. At least they have broadened there knowledge of the world a bit
even if they don't stay with it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 5th 05, 12:30 AM
Dee Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

Overall I like the ideas. So who is going to take on the job of
spearheading this.

As many of us as possible!

But it might not be as big a battle as you'd guess. I posted this same
idea on QRZ.COM this morning and within the hour received a phone call
from W5JBP. We spent a full half-hour exploring the PBI.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Didn't say it would be a battle. However, even multititudes participate in
trying to get this implement, you still need a leader to keep the herd
going.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 5th 05, 12:36 AM
Dee Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dee Flint wrote:

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
egroups.com...

KØHB wrote:

The growth in numbers of Amateurs over the past decade
has been overwhelmingly via the Technician license.

.... since about 1987 or so, most new hams
have started out as Technicians.

Jim, we can nit-pick the semantics if you really think that's productive,
but the two statements above both seem to convey the same notion, which
we might more clearly state "Most new hams since 1991 have entered via
the Technician class which is now the largest single license class in the
US, comprising almost half (47.7%) of the population of licensees in this
country, nearly equal to the combined total population of the three
higher classes.".

73, de Hans, K0HB

In any activity it would be normal for the "beginners" group to be the
largest segment. There are always a lot of people who start activities
but then drop out for a wide variety of reasons.

Every person that drops out is one small failure on our part.

I disagree. Everyone who has been convinced to give it a try is a success
on our part. Not everyone who tries it will find it to be interesting to
them in the long run. However, they have enriched their lives and broadened
their horizons by even an introductory participation.

We need to cultivate these new folk into the ARS. They are a resource that
is being largely ignored by the "better Hams".

- Mike KB3EIA -

We do need to spend more time in working with people to determine if they
have a long term interest and help them develop that. Just because some
drop out doesn't mean that the ARS has failed. It is perfectly legitimate
for a person to start an activity and once they have learned something about
it to make the judgement that their interets do no lie in that particular
hobby. That's not an ARS failure.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 5th 05, 12:40 AM
Dee Flint

"Cmd Buzz Corey" wrote in message
Bill Sohl wrote:

From the different organizations I've been involved with, I think the
larger beginner "drop-out" is just a truth of human nature. I've seen it
in scouting, college, classic car clubs, etc. Exactly why newcomers move
on to other pursuits is one of life's mysteries in most cases.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

With many people as soon as the new wears off and their initial curiosity
is satisfied, they move on to something new. Call it a short attention
span I guess.

I disagree and do not believe that it is a short attention span. Life is
rich with possible activities and interests. To sort among them and
determine what you like for the long haul is often best done by sampling the
activity. This means starting and then "dropping out" of some things.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 5th 05, 12:42 AM
Dee Flint

"Cmd Buzz Corey" wrote in message
bb wrote:

You're a bit early. The Novice was the entry level license at that
time. Technician was the consolation prize for passing the General
exam, but failing the 13wpm exam.

Which still granted one the Novice privilege. Someone earlier posted that
when the Novice upgraded he lost Novice priviledges. Not so.

Actually there was a time decades ago that it was so. There was a time that
people had to hold a separate Novice license and a separate Technician
license to participate in the privileges of both license levels. It was
before my (ham) time but I've read about it in some book or another on the
history of ham radio.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 5th 05, 01:41 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:
wrote

I'll stick with my proposal vs. Hans' proposal.

Is there a copy of your proposal that I can point my browser at? I'd be
interested in your view.

He kind of gave it, Hans. Hire a marketing firm.

My concern is that Marketing firms tend to work to the lowest common
denominater. Not what we need.

Marketing is what gave us Ketchup that you can't get out of a bottle
(Thicker!.... Richer!) and milkshakes that you have to eat with
jackhammer....

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 5th 05, 03:39 AM
KØHB

"Dee Flint" wrote

There will always be some we won't be able to keep no
matter how hard we try.

I can't argue with that. (And by extension, the less hard we try, the less
we'll be able to keep.)

But my PBI has little (if anything) to do with "keeping" them in the hobby.

It has to do with ARRL membership growing more representative of the whole
population of amateurs. (See the "Subject" line)

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 5th 05, 03:42 AM
Robert L. Giggles \(Mrs.\)

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
The growth in numbers of Amateurs over the past decade has been

overwhelmingly
via the Technician license. This segment of the Amateur population does

not seem
highly attracted to ARRL membership, nor affiliate with the "national
association" nature of ARRL.

That's because most new hams can recognize a garden
variety classic New England "mutual admiration society"
of wannabe blue-bloods who's only reason for existence
is to maintain their monuments to the past which nobody
cares about anymore and to keep a magazine going
which is composed of 80% advertising.

Face it boys. the ARRL blew it BIG TIME when they had
the chance to eliminate the dammed Code for HF way
back in the early 1980's with the "Plain Language" rewrite
of the amateur rules. Today most of the ham fossils who
opposed this are either in their graves or waiting to expire
and we're stuck with an obsolete hobby as a result.

Thanks boys! (posthumously)

Old May 5th 05, 04:00 AM
Dee Flint

"Robert L. Giggles (Mrs.)" wrote in message
groups.com...

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
The growth in numbers of Amateurs over the past decade has been

overwhelmingly
via the Technician license. This segment of the Amateur population does

not seem
highly attracted to ARRL membership, nor affiliate with the "national
association" nature of ARRL.

That's because most new hams can recognize a garden
variety classic New England "mutual admiration society"
of wannabe blue-bloods who's only reason for existence
is to maintain their monuments to the past which nobody
cares about anymore and to keep a magazine going
which is composed of 80% advertising.

The ARRL has fought and continues to fight to protect our spectrum, hardly
the action of a "mutual admiration society". They might be able to do a
better job if some of you non-members would get off YOUR high horses, join
the group, and start working towards what you would like to see them doing.
So long as you stay on the outside, they have no reason to represent you or
your views.

You obviously have not investigated their various classes for all levels of
interest in areas of ham radio activity such as the many emergency courses,
etc. It is all too apparent that you speak from preconceived notions and
haven't bothered to get involved. You simply sit there on the outside and
whine and complain.

You want it to be different? Get in there and do the work to change it.
Oh, that's too hard you say. Then you are just a parasite waiting for some
one else to do the work so you can benefit without having contributed.

Face it boys. the ARRL blew it BIG TIME when they had
the chance to eliminate the dammed Code for HF way
back in the early 1980's with the "Plain Language" rewrite
of the amateur rules. Today most of the ham fossils who
opposed this are either in their graves or waiting to expire
and we're stuck with an obsolete hobby as a result.

Do a better job of reading up on history. The ARRL had NO chance of
eliminating the code in the 1980s as the US was signatory to an
international treaty that mandated code for HF privileges.

Thanks boys! (posthumously)

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 5th 05, 04:06 AM
KØHB

"bb" wrote

The ARRL may not be just about HF
radio using Morse Code, but the Technicians think it is.

I think that's probably a reasonably accurate statement.

And it is what my PBI is intended to address --- putting ARRL back into
"mainstreet amateur radio" where the Technicians live, and connecting with them
in the activities that are relevant to them.

73, de Hans, K0HB