Old May 17th 05, 06:56 AM
Jim Hampton

Default Just for grins - CW

Hi gang!

Just for some grins, check this out:
http://www.lildobe.net/video/

It will take a bit of time for the folks on dial-up, but it is worth
remembering that those two guys were not setting any speed records. It
sounded about like the commercial CW circuits on the marine bands I listened
to about 37 years ago ....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old May 17th 05, 04:12 PM
Chad Wahls

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
Hi gang!

Just for some grins, check this out:
http://www.lildobe.net/video/

It will take a bit of time for the folks on dial-up, but it is worth
remembering that those two guys were not setting any speed records. It
sounded about like the commercial CW circuits on the marine bands I
listened
to about 37 years ago ....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

When he read what was on the paper it did not include a callsign, where
these legit ham radios? Did another fast code reader get a call sign in
there?

Chad

Old May 17th 05, 04:52 PM

Jim Hampton wrote:
Hi gang!

Just for some grins, check this out:
http://www.lildobe.net/video/

It will take a bit of time for the folks on dial-up, but it is worth
remembering that those two guys were not setting any speed records.

It
sounded about like the commercial CW circuits on the marine bands I

listened
to about 37 years ago ....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Here's some nuts & bolts details on the skit via the Elecraft & FRC
reflectors:

- - - -

In case anyone is interested, here's something K6CTW posted on the
Elecraft list last night. K3PH:

- - - -

Well to answer some of the questions I have received:

1. Ben was just getting ready to start entering the last 2 words when I
was done.

2. None of us had any idea of the text we would be sending, not only
for the "show" but also for the 3 rehersals (in which we smoked em
every time)

3. Chip, K7JA was sending and I, Ken, K6CTW was receiving.

4. The radios were FT-817's provided by Chip's company Yaesu and HRO.
Reason for that choice was that we needed the most frequency agile
radios we could get. When I talked to the technical folks, they
recommended we START at 2 meters and go up because of all of the lower
frequency noise and RFI from the other TV equipment. When I got there,
we took out a spectrum analyzer and studied all of the interference
possibilities. I ended up choosing 432.200 MHz because that guaranteed
no RFI from their equipment and we were high enough not to overload
their front ends either. This was then verified and it was what we were
using at the FT-817's lowest setting.

5. I already knew that 28-30 wpm would easily keep us in front of even
the current world record holder, and also it is the fastest speed that
I can make nice readable copy on paper with a "stick".

6. The telegrapher "costumes" were the producer's idea but it was fun
for both Chip and I.

7. In rehersal I, K6CTW had a number of lines which would have really
done a nice job of plugging ham radio and telegraphy however at our
last dress rehersal, they decided to cut them out to make the segment
"fit". (maybe next time).

8. I decided that I would be the receiver because I'm not bothered by
crowd noise etc. If you enjoyed the segment, PLEASE email, write, etc.
to let "The Tonight Show" know about it. That way we may have a chance
for a bigger segment next time. Thanks for the kind comments from all
and let's keep on having fun! (It is a hobby after all). 73, Ken, K6CTW

- - - - -

*A few more points for clarification: When my XYL, Connie, originally
answered the call, at my home, from the producers of the show, she
explained that I operated both codes and that I considered myself to be
a good but not exceptional operator. However, she is the one who "sold"
the producers that the skit could work. She also did a VERY credible
job of explaining Morse telegraphy and the radio code and its uses.
(You all might think to send her a thanks too as without her, this
would never have happened cjcarroll2 at earthlink.net ) When they
contacted me later that afternoon, I explained that my wife was
correct, I am a competent CW and Morse operator.

Your point is interesting in that they did try and get the fastest text
messengers they could fly in. I did however explain that if the Tonight
Show folks had been able to get the equivalent world record holder in
CW to do this, it would have been at lmost TRIPLE the speed we were
going at.

The reason, as I have explained before, that we worked at about 28 or
so wpm is that this is the fastest speed that I can make nice readable
copy with a pencil as they did not have the ability to let me use a
typewriter for copy (and I thought they were going to do a camera shot
of my copy for verification).

Also, since we did not have the time to set up headphones, I just added
some extra volume for me, had the stage folks cut my mike (to prevent
feedback and overload) and copied off of the speaker. To re-emphasize
the point, I'm just an average CW op who ccasionally operates the CW SS
QRP, whith my K2 of course, and really enjoys CW, and traffic handling.
By the way, the radios used were Chip's not from Yaesu and the backup
radios were from HRO. 73, Ken, K6CTW *

- - - -

w3rv

Old May 17th 05, 05:11 PM

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
Hi gang!

Just for some grins, check this out:
http://www.lildobe.net/video/

It will take a bit of time for the folks on dial-up, but it is worth
remembering that those two guys were not setting any speed records. It
sounded about like the commercial CW circuits on the marine bands I
listened
to about 37 years ago ....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

When he read what was on the paper it did not include a callsign, where
these legit ham radios? Did another fast code reader get a call sign in
there?

They were legit on 440 mhz, Chad. Low power, short range. Maybe callsigns were
transmitted right after the stunt?

Old May 17th 05, 05:20 PM

Chad Wahls wrote:
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
Hi gang!

Just for some grins, check this out:
http://www.lildobe.net/video/

It will take a bit of time for the folks on dial-up, but it is

worth
remembering that those two guys were not setting any speed records.

It
sounded about like the commercial CW circuits on the marine bands I

listened
to about 37 years ago ....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

When he read what was on the paper it did not include a callsign,

where
these legit ham radios? Did another fast code reader get a call sign

in
there?

What you see on TV is taped and edited. They cut out things like the
ID.

FCC requires that you ID at the *end* of a QSO, and every 10 minutes if
the QSO goes on longer than 10 minutes. The clip is only 3 minutes
long.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old May 18th 05, 01:30 AM
Steveo

"Jim Hampton" wrote:
Hi gang!

Just for some grins, check this out:
http://www.lildobe.net/video/

It will take a bit of time for the folks on dial-up, but it is worth
remembering that those two guys were not setting any speed records. It
sounded about like the commercial CW circuits on the marine bands I
listened to about 37 years ago ....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Hello Jim.

Is CW considered a binary of sorts?

Are you enjoying your new internet pipe?

Old May 18th 05, 04:26 AM
Jim Hampton

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Jim Hampton" wrote:
Hi gang!

Just for some grins, check this out:
http://www.lildobe.net/video/

It will take a bit of time for the folks on dial-up, but it is worth
remembering that those two guys were not setting any speed records. It
sounded about like the commercial CW circuits on the marine bands I
listened to about 37 years ago ....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Hello Jim.

Is CW considered a binary of sorts?

Are you enjoying your new internet pipe?

Hello, Mopar

Some call it binary, but the fact that there are both short and long
characters as well as short and long spaces (spacing between characters is
shorter than spacing between words) leads me to not consider it "binary".
When I wrote a Morse code decoder, I was using a base 3 system to decode it.
At least if I recall correctly. I still have the source code but haven't
looked at it for about a decade.

I am *loving* this new pipe! I booted the computer, the wave file played as
Windows started up, I hadn't clicked on Explorer, I bent over to pick up a
magazine, and when I looked at the computer, the anti-virus had already
downloaded and installed the update! )

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old May 18th 05, 05:11 AM

[...]

How stupid will you look when you have to explain to Leland that
you're too dumb to know who you are talking to in rec.radio.cb????

Old May 18th 05, 02:01 PM
Dave Hall

On Wed, 18 May 2005 03:26:26 GMT, "Jim Hampton"
wrote:

Hello, Mopar

Some call it binary, but the fact that there are both short and long
characters as well as short and long spaces (spacing between characters is
shorter than spacing between words) leads me to not consider it "binary".
When I wrote a Morse code decoder, I was using a base 3 system to decode it.
At least if I recall correctly. I still have the source code but haven't
looked at it for about a decade.

I am *loving* this new pipe! I booted the computer, the wave file played as
Windows started up, I hadn't clicked on Explorer, I bent over to pick up a
magazine, and when I looked at the computer, the anti-virus had already
downloaded and installed the update! )

Broadband is very nice. Once you get a taste of it, you'll never go
back. Combined with wireless access points, I can move all over the
house and access the internet with my laptop. I can access streaming
audio to pipe to my computer and stereo in my garage, when I'm outside
working. Internet video content can be viewed on the TV. I can even
monitor the environmental controls in the house from remote locations.
Technology is great. The future is now.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj