Old May 23rd 05, 12:30 AM
Leland C. Scott

Default Why no Yaesu Prizes at Hamvention?

When I turned in my ticket at the Hamvention I
normally check out what the prizes are. This year
I couldn't see even one item from Yaesu. Kenwood
and Icom etc. had items on display, but not Yaesu.
I wonder if the Hamvention did something to tick
them off.

Also I would say that both the flea market and the
inside vendor numbers were down by at least 20%.
There were MANY empty spaces in the flea market
area when in past years it was mostly full. I also
heard that Mendelson wanted more space and a break
on the flea market rental since they are going out
of business. The Hamvention, based I what I heard
around, said no dice, so they didn't even bother
to show up and they're only a few miles from the
arena too. They spaced out many of the inside
vendor booth areas so it wasn't too obvious that
the number of vendors was way down.

What did anybody else notice? I hope the above
isn't a long term trend.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Old May 23rd 05, 01:53 AM
Dee Flint

"Leland C. Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know if it was down or not but enjoyed it immensely. I and the OM
were helping out a new ham select and buy equipment and of course picked up
a few goodies for ourselves too.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 23rd 05, 12:53 PM
Michael Coslo

Leland C. Scott wrote:
When I turned in my ticket at the Hamvention I
normally check out what the prizes are. This year
I couldn't see even one item from Yaesu. Kenwood
and Icom etc. had items on display, but not Yaesu.
I wonder if the Hamvention did something to tick
them off.

Also I would say that both the flea market and the
inside vendor numbers were down by at least 20%.
There were MANY empty spaces in the flea market
area when in past years it was mostly full.

Yep, less flea vendors than the past couple years. Also less complete
junk. There was certainly junk there, but I'd say that the quality level
was up a bit.

I also
heard that Mendelson wanted more space and a break
on the flea market rental since they are going out
of business. The Hamvention, based I what I heard
around, said no dice, so they didn't even bother
to show up and they're only a few miles from the
arena too. They spaced out many of the inside
vendor booth areas so it wasn't too obvious that
the number of vendors was way down.

What did anybody else notice? I hope the above
isn't a long term trend.

I don't think the number was 20 percent, but it was down a bit.

I had a good time, spent too much money, and will be back again next
year. One thing is for certain, vendors that weren't there didn't get
any of my money...

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 23rd 05, 05:14 PM
KØHB

"John S." wrote

... and one vendor actually had bikini clad women prancing around.

Sounds good to me! You have a problem with bikini clad YL'S?

dit dit

de Hans, K0HB

Old May 23rd 05, 06:08 PM
Leland C. Scott

On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:53:45 -0400, Michael Coslo wrote:

I don't think the number was 20 percent, but it was down a bit.

I had a good time,

I did too, but its the trend I don't like.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Old May 23rd 05, 06:11 PM
Leland C. Scott

On Sun, 22 May 2005 20:53:18 -0400, Dee Flint wrote:

[...]

I'm glad you had a good time, so did I. I just found the reduction in the
number of flea market and inside vendors very noticeable compared to years
past.

Regards,
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Old May 23rd 05, 06:17 PM
Leland C. Scott

On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:14:03 +0000, KØHB wrote:

"John S." wrote

... and one vendor actually had bikini clad women prancing around.

Sounds good to me! You have a problem with bikini clad YL'S?

I liked the blond working in the "Radio Works" booth. The two working
around the corner from the Kenwood exhibit were nice, and the top heavy
one working in the far back corner in the hall where the Hummer was at too.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO
Old May 23rd 05, 09:33 PM
Michael Coslo

Hamsoldandnew wrote:

Forget it folks..
IMHO Dayton is finished, stick a fork into it.
It will never go back to what it once was Years ago
despite all the marketing and hype that they make it.
Oh there will always be the camaraderie and the new
equipment showings, but the flea market is just about finished.
Stick to hamfests located with 30 miles of your QTH.

Buh-Bye!

DLTDHYOTAOYWO!

- Mike KB3EIA

Old May 23rd 05, 09:34 PM
Michael Coslo

KØHB wrote:

"John S." wrote

... and one vendor actually had bikini clad women prancing around.

Sounds good to me! You have a problem with bikini clad YL'S?

Which vendor? I didn't see anything of the sort! 8^(

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 23rd 05, 09:44 PM
Michael Coslo

John S. wrote:

If it was so bad in years past, why did you go this year. My last trip
to Dayton was about 1995 and my impression of the used equipment for
sale outside was that it had been carted between too many other
hamfests.

I bought a fair amount of interesting Ham stuff for fair prices.

And there was a surprising amount of non-radio electronic
gear and parts. The inside was the usual glitzy trade show and one
vendor actually had bikini clad women prancing around.

Yeehaa! Too bad I didn't get to see it

In my experience hamfests in general are showing lower attendance
because of both internet-based competition and the ham radio hobby
itself being on the far side of the growth and maturity curve.

Now you've hit on something. I wouldn't doubt that a lot of people who
are "fed up" with Dayton are just tired of the whole hamfest thing in
general.

I've been going for three years now. There were less vendors this year
than last. But there was less crap than last year also. And a lot of the
crap that went missing this year was the people selling ancient
computers and old HT junk. If you wanted ham radio items, there was
plenty to be had. And I'd rather have fewer vendors selling more ham
radio equipment than more vendors selling IBM XT's and Old Handi-talkies
that some Fire department got rid of in 1990.

Interesting that with the high prices that Collins equipment has been
getting lately, a lot of them came out of the woodwork. I would suggest
that anyone collecting them keep their eyes open for good deals.

- Mike KB3EIA -