Old June 9th 05, 10:30 PM
Dan/W4NTI

A keyboard and a morse reader.....BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH !!!!!

Dan/W4NTI

"John Smith" wrote in message
I don't think there is a ham alive which can beat my keyboard, hooked to a
"electronic key" and sending morse, nor my sound card doubling as a "code
reader" and producing text on screen from cw...
You mean to tell me people actually use "real keys" still--gawd, I thought
all those sk tongue-in-cheek

Warmest regards,
John
"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
Morse is a ghost language spoken by old men when they do their rants and
name their illnesses--much to the dismay of the vital and youthful
hams...

The new 5 WPM test for all classes will guarantee you will NOT be
speaking morse to any young men--they will pass the 5 WPM to get the
extra license... then you will never see them again--except on phone and
modem...

John

Hello, John

There are more than a few folks that can send and receive cw faster than
lot of folks can type. I am not talking 20 words per minute here, nor am
talking a leisurely 30 words per minute.

Of course, cut and paste doesn't count (and I've had a few college grads
tell me that is how they did some of "their" papers LOL. Future CEOs,
I'm
sure. Enron and the like).

I'd be interested in an SSB contact on 24 GHz via moonbounce. 85 watts.
That might prove interesting.

All said and done, there are modes that can do it better (PSK comes to
mind) - but most won't and cw is one that can. It doesn't mean it is the
best, but ... again ... there are a number of ops that can send and
receive
cw faster than a lot of folks can type. And if some enjoy it, why worry?
It is like arguing that country-western music is terrible. Not all would
agree.

May I assume that you cut and paste very quickly?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old June 9th 05, 11:47 PM
John Smith

I learned code to get my license, never since--I live what I claim is
fact...

.... if I do code it is though an automatic key and keyboard and
cw-to-text reader, all of my own design and construction... being a
software engineer I really enjoy hardware projects, experimentation and
antenna construction--I never get to get my hands dirty in the "real
world."

John

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
ink.net...
And your speed is what "John Smith". What makes you qualified to even
comment on this? Do you operate on CW? Save you the time. Your a
big mouth know nothing about the subject. Damn...it may be Lennie.

Dan/W4NTI

"John Smith" wrote in message
... as always, there will be exceptions to ANY rule... I think both
Haynie and I would be surprised if this becomes anywhere near a
"remarkable" number...

John

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
Morse is a ghost language spoken by old men when they do their
rants and name their illnesses--much to the dismay of the vital and
youthful hams...

The new 5 WPM test for all classes will guarantee you will NOT be
speaking morse to any young men--they will pass the 5 WPM to get
the extra license... then you will never see them again--except on
phone and modem...

John

Not so. I've worked several licensees in the CW November Sweeps who
gave their year of license as 2000 and AFTER. I currently know
several people who have passed their 5wpm so they never have to take
the test again but continue to work diligently to get up to both
conversational and contest speeds.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 9th 05, 11:48 PM
John Smith

.... I think anyone not agreeing with you is a "chicken bander" and
"troll", now surely you must agree!

John

"Cmd Buzz Corey" wrote in message
Dan/W4NTI wrote:
And your speed is what "John Smith". What makes you qualified to
even comment on this? Do you operate on CW? Save you the time.
Your a big mouth know nothing about the subject. Damn...it may be
Lennie.

Dan/W4NTI

He's a cber, couldn't copy code if his life depended upon it.

Old June 9th 05, 11:49 PM
John Smith

.... yep, and look at key men as I do musicians, they are ok, but don't
wanna be one...

John

nk.net...

"John Smith" wrote in message
Morse is a ghost language spoken by old men when they do their
rants and
name their illnesses--much to the dismay of the vital and youthful
hams...

The new 5 WPM test for all classes will guarantee you will NOT be
speaking morse to any young men--they will pass the 5 WPM to get
the
extra license... then you will never see them again--except on
phone and
modem...

John

Hello, John

There are more than a few folks that can send and receive cw faster
than a
lot of folks can type. I am not talking 20 words per minute here,
nor am I

Old June 9th 05, 11:50 PM
John Smith

.... I think when men are gone from the earth--you will find that written
on tombstone of the human race...

John

"KØHB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Michael Coslo" wrote

I think the main problem with the older hams being "better" than
folks like me is the ability of many middle-aged and older men to get
incredibly worked up about almost nothing, forecasting doom from
inconsequential things.

~~~
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something,
learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before.

He is full of murderous resentment of people who
are ignorant without having come by their ignorance
the hard way.
~~~ Bokonon

Old June 9th 05, 11:53 PM
John Smith

.... let's reset back to reality, there are fewer hams in the world--than
illegal aliens in the state of california (and about 41 million illegals
in the nation)...
a true minority... the number of new keys are simply not worth
mentioning in comparison... hams must be THE smallest minority wanting
special privileges for a damn hobby! ... if you haven't thought of it
like that before--think of it now--not all are fools...

John

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
ink.net...
Oh really? Then how do we explain the young contesters out there? Or
the many QSOs I have with hams on CW in their 20s and 30s? And I
don't operate at 5wpm. Neither do they...think maybe they picked up
some speed, eh?

Dan/W4NTI

"John Smith" wrote in message
Morse is a ghost language spoken by old men when they do their rants
and name their illnesses--much to the dismay of the vital and
youthful hams...

The new 5 WPM test for all classes will guarantee you will NOT be
speaking morse to any young men--they will pass the 5 WPM to get the
extra license... then you will never see them again--except on phone
and modem...

John
"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
nk.net...
Bet the pilots among them know Morse.

Dan/W4NTI

"John Smith" wrote in message
Well, all the astronauts are no code techs... guess those
no-code'ers are in good and technical company...

Warmest regards,
John
oups.com...
From: John Smith on Jun 8, 5:50 pm

You would think the ARRL high priest would not abandon these
guys--times
must be tough...

http://www.arrl.org/news/stori?es/2004/05/22/1/?nc=1

John
--
Watching the cutting edge of yesterday replay--in virtual reality,
right

Tsk. It took the League long enough to see the "duhhhh..." :-)

They've had adequate numbers all along. They've been seeing
only what they want to believe.

As of the end of 2004 the League had only 140 thousand members.
That's about 20 percent of all U.S. amateur licensees. [from
QST advertising webpage]

Haynie has said that a "survey" showed fully 1 in 5 hams
actually got on the air? Oh, my, a remarkable coincidence
in the percentage of League membership. :-)

[we now pause to have all loyal league believers vent their
rage against those who defile 'their' organization...]

Old June 10th 05, 12:27 AM
KØHB

"John Smith" wrote

... I think when men are gone from the earth--you will find that written on
tombstone of the human race...

No, I think we'll find:

"Bergeron's epitaph for the planet, I remember, which he said should be carved
in big letters in a wall of the Grand Canyon for the flying-saucer people to
find, was this:

WE COULD HAVE SAVED IT
BUT WE WERE TOO DOGGONE CHEAP

Only he didn't say 'doggone.'"

-- Kurt Vonnegut in "Hocus Pocus"

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
Come sit by the fire and warm your bones. Let's enjoy a warm bracing drink and a
few tales.

"The wind was picking up, clouds were rolling in, my hands were numb, nose was
running, I had to pee, and I was thinking of heading for the dock when..."

Old June 10th 05, 01:21 AM
Dee Flint

"John Smith" wrote in message
I don't think there is a ham alive which can beat my keyboard, hooked to a
"electronic key" and sending morse, nor my sound card doubling as a "code
reader" and producing text on screen from cw...
You mean to tell me people actually use "real keys" still--gawd, I thought
all those sk tongue-in-cheek

Warmest regards,
John

When conditions are poor, even some one as poor at morse code as I am can
beat a "code reader" sound card/computer.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 10th 05, 02:01 AM
John Smith

.... actually, the only thing I have found that I can't allow for is
someone's sloppy key (you must decide what range of microseconds is a
dit, and what is the dah-- I have been kicking around the idea of a
piece of code to "sample" the senders "style" and automatically
adjust--but that is for tomorrow--and would be great if the code could
automatically duplicate his "sloppy style" and feed it back to him
grin) but then--sloppy key is no easier to copy with ear then by
reader...

John

Old June 10th 05, 02:16 AM
Dee Flint

"John Smith" wrote in message
... actually, the only thing I have found that I can't allow for is
someone's sloppy key (you must decide what range of microseconds is a dit,
and what is the dah-- I have been kicking around the idea of a piece of
code to "sample" the senders "style" and automatically adjust--but that is
for tomorrow--and would be great if the code could automatically duplicate
his "sloppy style" and feed it back to him grin) but then--sloppy key
is no easier to copy with ear then by reader...

John

Depends on how you define easier. The ear can copy code so sloppy that no
computer/soundcard/software would ever decipher it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE