Old June 11th 05, 05:57 PM
John Smith

.... still the problem is denied, still the problem goes on--still the
Alzheimer's victims are as in denial, puzzled and generally incompetent
at begin a help...

.... so the hobby goes on led by ancient old men babbling war cries
constructed of ill formed logic...

.... meantime, status quo remains level... some here will die never
realizing there is a problem--but then--we knew that from the start...

John

"John Smith" wrote in message
You would think the ARRL high priest would not abandon these
guys--times must be tough...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/05/22/1/?nc=1

John
--
Watching the cutting edge of yesterday replay--in virtual reality,
right before my eyes--in real time!

Old June 11th 05, 05:58 PM

John Smith wrote:
I don't think there is a ham alive which can beat my keyboard, hooked to
a "electronic key" and sending morse, nor my sound card
doubling as a
"code reader" and producing text on screen from cw...

I can beat that setup under certain conditions. The
reverse is also true. All depends on the situation.

For example, can that setup function with the operator's
eyes shut?

But that's really not the point. Using a keyboard and code
reader means you're doing a form of RTTY that happens to
use OOK Morse instead of, say, ASCII FSK as the encoding
method. If that's fun for you, enjoy!

But it's not the real issue.

You mean to tell me people actually use "real keys" still--

Oh yes. I have a choice of four Vibroplexes, and a J-37 straight
key. Wonderful instruments.

gawd, I thought all those sk tongue-in-cheek

I'm younger than you, John.

Some analogies:

- Someone in fair physical condition can beat the fastest marathon
runners in history - if the someone uses a bicycle. That doesn't make
the someone a marathoner.

- Someone else riding a Harley can win the Tour de France easily. That
doesn't entitle them to the yellow shirt.

- There are plenty of boats that can win the America's Cup against all
challengers - but they're not allowed to compete, because those boats
have engines instead of sails.

Get the idea?

Old June 11th 05, 08:40 PM
John Smith

N2EY:
.... said, "I'm younger than you, John."

Hey man, calm down!!! If you start threatening me--I may have to agree
with you!!!! tongue-in-cheek-grin

Warmest regards,
John

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 11th 05, 09:23 PM
bb

John Smith wrote:
... still the problem is denied, still the problem goes on--still the
Alzheimer's victims are as in denial, puzzled and generally incompetent
at begin a help...

... so the hobby goes on led by ancient old men babbling war cries
constructed of ill formed logic...

... meantime, status quo remains level... some here will die never
realizing there is a problem--but then--we knew that from the start...

John

Lucky for them they'll go to St Hiram's Gate all hero's.

Old June 11th 05, 09:42 PM
bb

Dee Flint wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in message
I am betting just the opposite, and I bet the code reader can copy at a
speed long after the human reader is all done...

Speed is a different issue than sloppy sending.

I recall an oldster on here bragging that he could send code so badly
that a No-Code Technician with a code reader couldn't copy it. All of
the other oldsters on here covered for him by claiming "banana-boat
swings" and other excuses for having a "unique" and incorrect fist.

That and the Farnsworth debacle led to the discovery that the FCC has
absolutely no working definition of Morse Code, yet the FCC denies
people access to hobby radio every day based upon an exam for something
which they no longer have a definition for.

Old June 11th 05, 10:42 PM
John Smith

.... people who play a musical instrument well, I can appreciate and have
a liking for... those with a code key in their hand I attempt to
avoid...

.... thank gawd they can't force us to suffer it... frankly, I don't
know of many places where they can practice it in public... other
citizens would get angry and ask 'em to leave... it would kinda be like
masturbating in public, everyone knows you do it, just don't do it in
front of them!!! tongue-in-cheek

John

"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 11th 05, 10:44 PM
John Smith

I know God can enjoy a good glass of wine--his son shared it with other
men...

.... I can imagine God could enjoy a good Cuban cigar....

.... if you take your key to heaven, he just might toss ya out on yer
bum!!! grin

John

"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 12th 05, 10:27 PM
bb

John Smith wrote:
I know God can enjoy a good glass of wine--his son shared it with other
men...

Catholics know that, but many of the newer Christian faiths tend to
deny that.

... I can imagine God could enjoy a good Cuban cigar....

Never considered it.

... if you take your key to heaven, he just might toss ya out on yer
bum!!! grin

John

Not even a Vibroplex or a Brown Bros.?

Old June 12th 05, 10:38 PM
John Smith

bb:

Pray tell, you mean the "newer christians" can't read--so remain
ignorant to the passages which speak of wine and caution of consuming
too much? But, do encourage one to partake in a moderate fashion?

Or, have they torn those pages out of the bible, much in the same way
gays have torn out the pages calling homosexuality an abomination?

Yanno, we used to have mental heath facilities where there were able to
help these people...

Warmest regards,
John

"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 13th 05, 12:09 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

John Smith wrote:

Or, have they torn those pages out of the bible, much in the same way
gays have torn out the pages calling homosexuality an abomination?

Yanno, we used to have mental heath facilities where there were able to
help these people...

But they, whoever 'they' are, have decided that such deviancy is 'OK' now.