Old June 10th 05, 10:17 PM

Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
K=D8HB wrote:
Hello, Jim

Greetings from the Main Line. Philadelphia Story, Kate Hepburn and all
that. No calla lilies, though.

There was always the Q-multiplier for us money challenged folks

Kinda surreal to see a Q-multiplier tacked onto a KWM-2...

They did work, but were really only decent if the IF was below about
500 kHz. Which wasn't the case with most transceivers.

Oddly enough, IIRC, the notch filter in the esteemed Collins 75A-4 is
actually a Q multiplier set permanently in the notch mode.

Heathkit Q-1, was it?

Heathkit QF-1. I had one hooked to my Heathkit AR-2, almost 40 years
ago. First nonhomebrew SW receiver. The Southgate Type 1 was better.

About a year ago I was given another QF-1, which became hamfest fodder.
They're actually worth a few dollars if they're in good shape.

There's also the Heathkit QM-1 Q-meter, completely different animal,
piece of test gear. Very useful gadget for evaluating RF coils and
caps. Had one for a couple decades now, found it at the Rochester
Hamfest back about 1978 or so, when I lived on Main Street in Palmyra.
Not a Boonton but it does the job and weighs a lot less.

I had one and it did a decent job with that lousy
Halliscratcher S-20R.

Only Hallis I've owned were the SX-99 (OK rx, but a BC-453 with
converter
is much better) and the SX-101 ($35 at SJRA hamfest - about fifty cents
a pound). '101 was probably their answer to the "flimsycrafters"
complaints.
All gone now, rather build or assemble my own. (One builds homebrew but
assembles kits).

Summer's almost here. AWA museum and annex are just down the road from
you.
Enjoy.

73 de Jim, N2EY