Old July 1st 05, 09:17 PM

Default SAQ On The Air This Weekend

http://www.alexander.n.se/transmissions.htm

17.2 kHz with the 200 kW Alexanderson Alternator

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 1st 05, 11:23 PM
bb

http://www.alexander.n.se/transmissions.htm

17.2 kHz with the 200 kW Alexanderson Alternator

73 de Jim, N2EY

Wunnerful.

Old July 2nd 05, 08:29 PM

From: bb on Jul 1, 6:23 pm

wrote:
http://www.alexander.n.se/tran?smissions.htm

17.2 kHz with the 200 kW Alexanderson Alternator

73 de Jim, N2EY

Wunnerful.

Jimmie is Johnny-on-the-spot when it comes to ANYTHING involving
morse code! :-)

The ONLY connection with amateur radio is that the Grimeton LW
transmitting station has become a Swedish historical monument
and is fired up just once every year and that the "station" is a
member of the Swedish Amateur Radio organization. :-)

Grimeton is the name of a small town rather east of the city
of Varberg on the west coast (I've driven through it on the
way south). The accompanying LW net receiving station WAS at
Kungsbacka near Goteborg (Gothenburg to English speakers) but
has been dismantled long ago; one of my cousins lived there for
many years. Grimeton went into full operation about 1926 and
continued for about three decades, including through all of
WW2 to North America. It has been a museum for a longer time.

SAQ - Grimeton has the only WORKING LF Alexanderson Alternator
in the world. Not that it matters much to USA amateurs since
the FCC has not obliged the ARRL with providing any ham bands
below MF. Ever. :-) Sunday, July 3, is Alexanderson Day in
Sweden, a nice tribute to one of the true pioneers and innovators
in early commercial communications radio.

Ernst Alexanderson is highlighted in the IEEE History Center.
Not many radio amateurs could afford 50 KW and higher transmitters
(much less build one in their garage) so the ARRL doesn't bother
to mention his work much. With wavelengths of 20 KM, it's a bit
difficult to build a half-wave dipole on a residential lot. :-)

But, this is NEWS according to Jimmie (even though Grimeton is
on the air once a day each year) and his private BLOG here must
be filled with such gems of "amateur radio policy" info...

Old July 3rd 05, 06:27 AM
robert casey

http://www.alexander.n.se/transmissions.htm

17.2 kHz with the 200 kW Alexanderson Alternator

You call that RF? Young people can *hear* that frequency!
:-)
Old July 3rd 05, 12:19 PM

robert casey wrote:
wrote:

http://www.alexander.n.se/transmissions.htm

17.2 kHz with the 200 kW Alexanderson Alternator

You call that RF? Young people can *hear* that frequency!
:-)

HAW!

Heck, I can still hear TV horizontal oscillators sometimes (most modern
TVs don't whistle like the old ones did). .

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 3rd 05, 11:05 PM
b.b.

robert casey wrote:
wrote:

http://www.alexander.n.se/transmissions.htm

17.2 kHz with the 200 kW Alexanderson Alternator

You call that RF? Young people can *hear* that frequency!
:-)

HAW!

Heck, I can still hear TV horizontal oscillators sometimes (most modern
TVs don't whistle like the old ones did). .

73 de Jim, N2EY

I can still hear the hard drives revving up.

Old July 4th 05, 03:45 AM
Mike Coslo

b.b. wrote:

wrote:

robert casey wrote:

wrote:

http://www.alexander.n.se/transmissions.htm

17.2 kHz with the 200 kW Alexanderson Alternator

You call that RF? Young people can *hear* that frequency!
:-)

HAW!

Heck, I can still hear TV horizontal oscillators sometimes (most modern
TVs don't whistle like the old ones did). .

73 de Jim, N2EY

I can still hear the hard drives revving up.

I can hear Harley Davidsons without mufflers driving by my house...... 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old July 4th 05, 02:37 PM
b.b.

Mike Coslo wrote:
b.b. wrote:

wrote:

robert casey wrote:

wrote:

http://www.alexander.n.se/transmissions.htm

17.2 kHz with the 200 kW Alexanderson Alternator

You call that RF? Young people can *hear* that frequency!
:-)

HAW!

Heck, I can still hear TV horizontal oscillators sometimes (most modern
TVs don't whistle like the old ones did). .

73 de Jim, N2EY

I can still hear the hard drives revving up.

I can hear Harley Davidsons without mufflers driving by my house...... 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Ever think about moving to a better neighborhood?