Old July 12th 05, 03:35 PM
KØHB

Default Two unrelated far-fetched questions

Question 1: If Icom/Ten-Tec/Yaesu-Standard/MFJ/Kenwood-Trio left the amateur
radio equipment market this afternoon, in ten years amateur radio would be:

a) Revitalized as a experimenters technical hobby
b) Extinct

Question 2: If you were 'inventing' amateur radio today, would you include a
Morse examination in the license qualification?

a) Yes
b) No

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
Member:
ARRL http://www.arrl.org

Old July 12th 05, 04:50 PM
Bert Craig

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
Question 1: If Icom/Ten-Tec/Yaesu-Standard/MFJ/Kenwood-Trio left the
amateur radio equipment market this afternoon, in ten years amateur radio
would be:

a) Revitalized as a experimenters technical hobby
b) Extinct

A: a (Viva el Elecraft, NorCal, Wilderness Radio, Oak Hills Research, etc.!)

Question 2: If you were 'inventing' amateur radio today, would you
include a Morse examination in the license qualification?

a) Yes
b) No

A: a (Something or other to do with being "fully qualified," not to mention
a hearty tradition.)

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
Member:
ARRL http://www.arrl.org
SOC http://www.qsl.net/soc
VWOA http://www.vwoa.org
A-1 Operator Club http://www.arrl.org/awards/a1-op/
TCDXA http://www.tcdxa.org
MWA http://www.w0aa.org
TCFMC http://www.tcfmc.org
FISTS http://www.fists.org
LVDXA http://www.upstel.net/borken/lvdxa.htm
NCI http://www.nocode.org

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old July 12th 05, 05:03 PM
Doug McLaren

In article . net,
KØHB wrote:

| Question 1: If Icom/Ten-Tec/Yaesu-Standard/MFJ/Kenwood-Trio left the amateur
| radio equipment market this afternoon, in ten years amateur radio would be:
|
| a) Revitalized as a experimenters technical hobby
| b) Extinct

C) alive and well, but not revitialized or even really changed.

After all, 1) these aren't the only manufacturers of ham band
equipment, and 2) the majority of the equipment I own is 10+ years old
already (I'm cheap) and it works fine, so I'd imagine that the
equipment made yesterday will probably work fine in 10 years too.
(And my equipment probably will too, as long as I don't let out too
much more magic smoke ...)

| Question 2: If you were 'inventing' amateur radio today, would you
| include a Morse examination in the license qualification?

When amateur radio was originally `invented', there was no licence
qualificiations or even license involved at all. The radio spectrum
was sort of the `wild west' ...

If you wanted to `invent' amateur radio _today_, you'd have to explain
more about what you mean to answer the question accurately. Do all
hams suddenly disappear and we're starting from scratch? Are the hams
still around (and therefore the traditions probably would be too), but
the existing regulations are all thrown out and rewritten from
scratch?

--
Doug McLaren, , AD5RH
"I don't know the scientific explaination, BUT FIRE MAKES IT GOOD!"
Old July 12th 05, 06:24 PM
an_old_friend

K=D8HB wrote:
Question 1: If Icom/Ten-Tec/Yaesu-Standard/MFJ/Kenwood-Trio left the ama=

teur
radio equipment market this afternoon, in ten years amateur radio would b=

e:

a) Revitalized as a experimenters technical hobby
b) Extinct

c) very small and would have lost most of its spectrum but would exist
as token of days gone by

Question 2: If you were 'inventing' amateur radio today, would you inclu=

de a
Morse examination in the license qualification?

a) Yes
b) No

B)

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 12th 05, 09:27 PM
KØHB

My original questions weren't very well worded. I wanted to engage us in two
"thought exercises".

1. Is amateur radio a hobby which significantly appeals to experimenters and
tinkerers, or does it continue to flourish only because of the wide availability
of commercial equipment?

During the 60's-70's there was an interesting "real world" test of this notion.
The US and western European hams had readily available and affordable commercial
equipment, while the USSR hams did not. During that period USSR hams homebrewed
most all their equipment, or converted military surplus stuff (sound familiar?),
their numbers grew at a much higher rate than US numbers, and they were
generally acknowledged to be among the best operators on the air.

2. My second "thought exercise" (unrelated to the first) probably should have
been stated: "Supposing that amateur radio first came under government
regulation in 2005 (instead of 1912), would a Morse test be included in the
qualification process?"

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 12th 05, 09:40 PM
Michael Coslo

KØHB wrote:
Question 1: If Icom/Ten-Tec/Yaesu-Standard/MFJ/Kenwood-Trio left the amateur
radio equipment market this afternoon, in ten years amateur radio would be:

a) Revitalized as a experimenters technical hobby
b) Extinct

Probably alive and well. Certainly the used equipment market would be
interesting. But there isn't anything stopping us from making our own
equipment.

Wouldn't bother me much at all!

Question 2: If you were 'inventing' amateur radio today, would you include a
Morse examination in the license qualification?

a) Yes
b) No

Part 1....I posed a similar question a while back and mostly caught
crap for it. People are going to tell you that the question is
irrelevent because Ham radio wasn't invented today, it was invented a
long time ago.

Part 2...But the answer is of course no.

And of course, the people that are really gung ho for a Morse test are
the ones that will parade part one in front of you.

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
Member:
ARRL http://www.arrl.org
SOC http://www.qsl.net/soc
VWOA http://www.vwoa.org
A-1 Operator Club http://www.arrl.org/awards/a1-op/
TCDXA http://www.tcdxa.org
MWA http://www.w0aa.org
TCFMC http://www.tcfmc.org
FISTS http://www.fists.org
LVDXA http://www.upstel.net/borken/lvdxa.htm
NCI http://www.nocode.org

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 12th 05, 10:09 PM
an_old_friend

K=D8HB wrote:
My original questions weren't very well worded. I wanted to engage us in=

two
"thought exercises".

1. Is amateur radio a hobby which significantly appeals to experimenters=

and
tinkerers, or does it continue to flourish only because of the wide avail=

ability
of commercial equipment?

in the US I don't think there an either/or answer

the answer to that question becomes Yes

Ham radio appeals to experiments etc in part becuase florishes due to
the numbers of people to expeirment with driven by the avability of
Comercail gear

an Example is CW and it's contiued use

If folks were prevented from buying comercail CW gear I don't think the
homebrewers of the US could sustain enough to allow Cw use to continue

During the 60's-70's there was an interesting "real world" test of this n=

otion.
The US and western European hams had readily available and affordable com=

mercial
equipment, while the USSR hams did not. During that period USSR hams hom=

ebrewed
most all their equipment, or converted military surplus stuff (sound fami=

liar?),
their numbers grew at a much higher rate than US numbers, and they were
generally acknowledged to be among the best operators on the air.

The Soviets are Not americans

2. My second "thought exercise" (unrelated to the first) probably should =

have
been stated: "Supposing that amateur radio first came under government
regulation in 2005 (instead of 1912), would a Morse test be included in t=

he
qualification process?"

Of Course Not

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 12th 05, 11:58 PM
b.b.

K=D8HB wrote:
Question 1: If Icom/Ten-Tec/Yaesu-Standard/MFJ/Kenwood-Trio left the ama=

teur
radio equipment market this afternoon, in ten years amateur radio would b=

e:

a) Revitalized as a experimenters technical hobby
b) Extinct

c) I'd use ICOM, Ten-Tec, Yaesu/Vertex, or Kenwood commercial gear.
Wouldn't you?

Question 2: If you were 'inventing' amateur radio today, would you inclu=

de a
Morse examination in the license qualification?
=20
a) Yes
b) No

No.

Old July 13th 05, 12:03 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
Question 1: If Icom/Ten-Tec/Yaesu-Standard/MFJ/Kenwood-Trio left the
amateur radio equipment market this afternoon, in ten years amateur radio
would be:

a) Revitalized as a experimenters technical hobby
b) Extinct

Question 2: If you were 'inventing' amateur radio today, would you
include a Morse examination in the license qualification?

a) Yes
b) No

YES

Dan/W4NTI

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 15th 05, 11:55 PM

K=D8HB wrote:
Question 1: If Icom/Ten-Tec/Yaesu-Standard/MFJ/Kenwood-Trio left the ama=

teur
radio equipment market this afternoon, in ten years amateur radio would b=

e:

a) Revitalized as a experimenters technical hobby
b) Extinct

c) Neither

1) There's a lot of good used ham gear around,

2) New companies would arise to take their place

3) Some hams would actually build stuff.

It may seem farfetched to think that
Icom/Ten-Tec/Yaesu-Standard/MFJ/Kenwood-Trio would disappear. But back
in 1967, when I became a ham, it seemed farfetched that
Collins/Drake/Swan/Heath/WRL/Johnson/National/Hammarlund/Hallicrafters
would disappear from the amateur market. But they did.

Question 2: If you were 'inventing' amateur radio today, would you inc=

lude a
Morse examination in the license qualification?
=20
a) Yes
b) No
=20

Yes!

73 de Jim, N2EY

The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean Homebrew 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean General 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM