Old July 21st 05, 06:29 PM
an_old_friend

Default a point of order, and info

It having been a few years since the last round I and prehaps other
could a use a reminder. Doesn't the FCC have to take some action
beyond this to put there new rules in effect

Old July 21st 05, 08:44 PM
Jim Hampton

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...
It having been a few years since the last round I and prehaps other
could a use a reminder. Doesn't the FCC have to take some action
beyond this to put there new rules in effect

Usually, this is the next to last stop. This was a notice of proposed
rulemaking. That means that they intend to make this a reality, unless Bush
says that they should not change the rules due to dangers of weapons of mass
destruction.

Code red, code red! Battle stations, everyone. Danger, Will Robinson. Man
the photon torpedos. Engage trans-warp engins.

Unless there is a threat of weapons of mass destruction, the FCC will follow
through with the new rules. Of course, it might happen. Bush is always
working on things, even when on vaction. There are cell phones and they are
working on ... um, things. There are fax machines and his is always busy
working on things. Even satellite communications and he is um ... working
... on .... things ...

Did you see Farenheit 911? Always working on .... things. Golly, he seemed
so indecisive in Florida with the schoolchildren when the first tower was
hit. Eyes kept going back and fourth ... then the secret service guy
whispered in his ear (the second tower was hit). Still he sat there with
his eyeballs clicking back and fourth.

He must have been working .... working on things ...

My guess is that the changes will occur as Bush is too busy with .....
things ))

I see they are laying off another 10,000 worldwide at Kodak with 7,000 of
those local jobs. Glad Bush is working .... um, on things.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old July 21st 05, 08:54 PM
John Smith

The kodak layoffs should be no surprise what-so-ever...

They have invented the digital cam yanno, and even ancient dinosaurs
(after a few years of practice) are able to push the button on one
correctly these days... LOL!

John

Old July 21st 05, 09:49 PM
Win

Wow, Jim, a democrat in New Jersey. Imagine that. You sound like
one of those guys that lives off entitlements and bitches about the
pay. Bet you look like Michael Moore, too.

Win

Old July 21st 05, 11:08 PM

From: Jim Hampton on Jul 21, 3:44 pm

"an_old_friend" wrote in message

It having been a few years since the last round I and prehaps other
could a use a reminder. Doesn't the FCC have to take some action
beyond this to put there new rules in effect

Usually, this is the next to last stop. This was a notice of proposed
rulemaking. That means that they intend to make this a reality, unless Bush
says that they should not change the rules due to dangers of weapons of mass
destruction.

The NOTICE of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) is (nearly always) first.
Then follows the Comment period...itself followed by a long wait
while the lawyers at the FCC draft the Report and Order (R&O).
Once the R&O is published in the Federal Register it is LAW.

Code red, code red! Battle stations, everyone. Danger, Will Robinson. Man
the photon torpedos. Engage trans-warp engins.

Unless there is a threat of weapons of mass destruction, the FCC will follow
through with the new rules. Of course, it might happen. Bush is always
working on things, even when on vaction. There are cell phones and they are
working on ... um, things. There are fax machines and his is always busy
working on things. Even satellite communications and he is um ... working
.. on .... things ...

In one way you are right...WT Docket 05-235 is a WMD.

A Weapon of MORSE Destruction! :-)

Do the Mighty Macho Morsemen want "Iraq III" on that WMD?

My guess is that the changes will occur as Bush is too busy with .....
things ))

Which "Bush?" The elimination of the morse code test has
been worked on by various groups for over two decades. It is
NOT relative to any political politics or any particular
administration.

I see they are laying off another 10,000 worldwide at Kodak with 7,000 of
those local jobs. Glad Bush is working .... um, on things.

Irrelevant topic in here. Eastman Kodak has been a big name
for years. That doesn't mean they get to claim fief and title
for anything. Face it (with or without portrait lens), the
future of silver halide photography media is NOT advancing.

Eastman Kodak started up in the photo biz with a little box
camera pre-loaded with film. One took the box camera to a
developer (usually a drug store), had the film developed and
the camera re-loaded, all for one price. A few years ago
they "pioneered" the already-loaded "one-shot" camera one
brought into the dealer for developing. Some "pioneering!"
BTW, Eastman sells (or maybe re-sells) digital cameras, too
(see Ritz Camera chain for details).

Would you say Xerox is a big company? Yes? Okay, their PARC
(Palo Alto Research Center) INVENTED both the mouse and the
GUI (Graphical User Interface). Xerox head honchos decided
neither had a "future" and allowed PARC to sell their
invention and didn't bother pursuing any more R&D on them.
Guess what all personal computers of today have in common?
[a mouse and a GUI operating system!]

Where was radio 110 years ago? The first "radios" used on-
off keying (by "morse" code) because that was they ONLY
way to use them for communications in this new "low-tech."
Radiotelegraphy reached a high art around 1940 (give or take)
and then slowly slid into less and less use by all but radio
amateurs. Now it isn't used for communications anywhere else
in radio but the "ham bands." Even then, its use is slowly
dropping.

You can't Hold Back The Dawn. The best you can do is put up
some curtains or tent to shield your old skills from damage of
direct sunlight in this new era.

Old July 21st 05, 11:27 PM
Dee Flint

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...
It having been a few years since the last round I and prehaps other
could a use a reminder. Doesn't the FCC have to take some action
beyond this to put there new rules in effect

Yes. First they will allow a comment and comment reply period. After the
close of that period, they will "digest" the comments. Then finally they
will issue a Report and Order with an implementation date specified. It's
my guess that this will be done around the first of the year.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 22nd 05, 02:21 AM
Jim Hampton

ups.com...
From: Jim Hampton on Jul 21, 3:44 pm

[...]

Hello, Len

Weapon of Morse destruction .... ))

LOL I can't help but respond. At least someone has a sense of humor around
here. I might not always agree with you, but don't change. It would kill
me

Good grief, as many times as I've explained. I have sent and received Morse
faster than many folks can type. Perfect copy in the Navy at 40 words per
minute (the fastest tape they had).

No big deal, but I get concerned when someone someone says "we don't type
anymore; we use word processors". I had that at an interview once some
years back. Next time, I'll ask them to bring on the fastest, meanest "word
processing person" they've got. I might not win, but they will be up for a
considerable fight. Everyone takes everything out of context. When I say I
can type 65 words per minute plus on a bad day into a head wind, I am not
saying "cut and paste". I mean how the heck do folks get the info into the
dang thing in the first place? As to the GUI, Apple "stole" that from Xerox
(which didn't believe there was a future) and then sued Microsoft over the
GUI!

I've heard too much of this "ancient technology" stuff and I see to many
"hunt and peck" alleged typists - excuse me, word processors..... or is that
word processing folks?

Anyone can forward a joke received in an e-mail. I'm not impressed. Sorry.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
ps - but I did enjoy the comment on Weapon of Morse Destruction.
pps - now go wind up some core memory!!!! ))
ppps - (gawd, do I *ever* shut up?) now you might understand how some feel
about the code. We enjoy it but don't care to be kidded about it. It
works, it is simple, and it is quite effective compared to most folks typing
abilities. You lay off the code, I'll quit about the core memory

Old July 22nd 05, 04:21 AM

From: Jim Hampton on Jul 21, 9:21 pm

From: Jim Hampton on Jul 21, 3:44 pm
"an_old_friend" wrote in message

Hello, Len

Weapon of Morse destruction .... ))

That's what the PCTA extras think... :-)

BTW, I've referred to myself as a "WMD" back when Shrub put
the USA into Iraq for a "dry-fire Vietnam."

LOL I can't help but respond. At least someone has a sense of humor around
here. I might not always agree with you, but don't change. It would kill
me

Wouldn't think of it. My wife is the musician here. I say
"no violins!"

Good grief, as many times as I've explained. I have sent and received Morse
faster than many folks can type. Perfect copy in the Navy at 40 words per
minute (the fastest tape they had).

Good on that. I have no objection to someone USING morsemanship.
I have lots and lots of objections to federal law MAKING me
demonstrate morsemanship...when that same law doesn't require
me to USE that morsemanship (in the amateur bands). I've NEVER
had to use morsemanship to effect radio communications in the
last half century in any OTHER radio service...including
government radio AFTER I was discharged from the Army.

No big deal, but I get concerned when someone someone says "we don't type
anymore; we use word processors". I had that at an interview once some
years back. Next time, I'll ask them to bring on the fastest, meanest "word
processing person" they've got. I might not win, but they will be up for a
considerable fight. Everyone takes everything out of context. When I say I
can type 65 words per minute plus on a bad day into a head wind, I am not
saying "cut and paste". I mean how the heck do folks get the info into the
dang thing in the first place?

I learned in middle school typing class around 1946/1947 (we
called it "junior high school" then before the feel-good PC
crowd wanted to remove the nasty "junior" label). NO KEY TOP
MARKINGS on those mechanical typewriters! :-)

I used to run the old Model 15/19s to their limit of 60 WPM
in the Army. No problem. I can still cruise at 60 WPM,
burst at 100 WPM. On a Model 60 Selectric or this PC with
WP 8 installed.

As to the GUI, Apple "stole" that from Xerox
(which didn't believe there was a future) and then sued Microsoft over the
GUI!

I disagree on both points. PARC got paid. The later civil
suit Microsoft v. Apple Computer wasn't about GUI per se...
it was on the "look and feel"...BTASE, not relevant to this
newsgroup. The PCTA extras in here don't like "digital"
because it "isn't RADIO"! :-)

I've heard too much of this "ancient technology" stuff and I see to many
"hunt and peck" alleged typists - excuse me, word processors..... or is that
word processing folks?

I think that's a reference to using MECHANICAL typewriters versus
computer-plus-inkjet/laserjet-printer mechanics with software
that can handle proportional-type-pitch fonts. I may be the only
person in here who has operated a proportional-type-pitch
mechanical typewriter used in ready-for-offset manuscript
preparation. Again, irrelevant to this newsgroup. This newsgroup
now seems to be about mortgages and real estate! :-)

Our two houses don't have any mortgages, nor any "covenants"
so I guess I can't get a ham license! :-)

Anyone can forward a joke received in an e-mail. I'm not impressed. Sorry.

I never sent you any jokes, forwarded or not, in e-mail...nor
used one in here. ? Nan desuka?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

ps - but I did enjoy the comment on Weapon of Morse Destruction.

pps - now go wind up some core memory!!!! ))

Not on yer life! I've repaired a core plane once, long long
ago. That was a "huge" core thing (30 mm cores). Can't
for the life of me see doing that core stringing 8 hours a
day! Worse than my wife's cross-stitching nit-pickyness!

ppps - (gawd, do I *ever* shut up?) now you might understand how some feel
about the code. We enjoy it but don't care to be kidded about it.

Okay, YOU i won't kid. Others, well, that's a different story.
Others in here can get downright arrogant and totally
obnoxious about it. They deserve commentary on their arrogance
and obnoxious behavior. Capice?

Don't forget that I was doing HF communications at least 8 hours
a day for three years in the Army...on a 24/7 basis for the
station. All TTY or voice with a twist of facsimile now and
then. I KNOW the comparative speeds and the massive amounts of
traffic go through an Area Headquarters comm facility. TTY at
the old standard of 60 WPM always outclassed the manual morse
handlers for a whole day's worth of messaging.

It
works, it is simple, and it is quite effective compared to most folks typing
abilities.

"CW gets through when everything else will..." - Brian Burke

You lay off the code, I'll quit about the core memory

Not a chance. Although I am curious about the "core memory"
mention. I'm familiar with magnetic core memory and its
read-modify-write sequencing. I'm also familiar with solid-
state CMOS RAM of low standby power, terrific fast access,
and terrific fast write. I'm using a 512K by 8 RAM package
right now (in the workshop) in a three-package computer-on-
board thingy. Up until about a decade ago, mag core memory
was de rigeur for spaceflight due to Alpha radiation messing
about with ordinary solid-state RAM. No longer. Solid-state
memory techniques keep improving and outer space radiation
ain't a problem it once was to RAM.

Was there anything else, then? :-)

Old July 22nd 05, 05:00 AM
Jim Hampton

oups.com...
From: Jim Hampton on Jul 21, 9:21 pm

wrote in message
From: Jim Hampton on Jul 21, 3:44 pm
[...]

They don't call it "random" for nothing ))

Put a micro$oft operating system with it and you have a perfect random
machine.

What ever happened to bubble memory? With my beer intake, I have a
reasonable fascimile of bubble memory.

Best regards,
Jim AA2QA

Old July 22nd 05, 05:58 AM
robert casey

Did you see Farenheit 911? Always working on .... things. Golly, he seemed
so indecisive in Florida with the schoolchildren when the first tower was
hit. Eyes kept going back and fourth ... then the secret service guy
whispered in his ear (the second tower was hit). Still he sat there with
his eyeballs clicking back and fourth.

If I was president, I would have just terminated the
classroom photo op. "Sorry kids, something's come up,
I gotta go." Even if I didn't have a clue as to what
to do about it, I'd still split. Maybe go to the
principal's office and borrow the phone and call various
people at the Pentagon and such.

Back on topic, the FCC released it as a proposed rule
making. But unless someone can come up with a really
good reason to keep code, it will be history. But
I doubt that there is anything about code that the
FCC hasn't already seen.

1930's Futuristic Shortwave Wood Radio - Searchlight radio - info wanted [email protected] Shortwave 0 January 12th 05 04:56 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
Info: Yaesu FT-901 [email protected] Swap 0 July 10th 04 02:51 AM
OLD motorola trunking information jack smith Scanner 1 December 12th 03 09:48 AM