Old July 25th 05, 08:31 PM
DesignGuy

Default Does ham radio license include GMRS?

I'm getting read to take the exam for a ham ticket next month. I was curious
to know if having a ham radio license precludes one from the GMRS license
requirement, so paying the $75 for the GMRS license is no longer necessary
for ham license holders?

Also, how long does it take to get the actual paper license from the FCC
with your callsign?

Thanks in advance.

Old July 25th 05, 08:53 PM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

DesignGuy wrote:
I'm getting read to take the exam for a ham ticket next month. I was curious
to know if having a ham radio license precludes one from the GMRS license
requirement,

No.
Old July 25th 05, 09:38 PM
steve

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
I'm getting read to take the exam for a ham ticket next month. I was
curious
to know if having a ham radio license precludes one from the GMRS license
requirement, so paying the $75 for the GMRS license is no longer necessary
for ham license holders?

Also, how long does it take to get the actual paper license from the FCC
with your callsign?

Thanks in advance.

There are very few people who even bother anymore applying
for a GMRS license.

steve

Old July 25th 05, 10:16 PM
K4YZ

DesignGuy wrote:
I'm getting read to take the exam for a ham ticket next month. I was curious
to know if having a ham radio license precludes one from the GMRS license
requirement, so paying the $75 for the GMRS license is no longer necessary
for ham license holders?

No Sir...You are still requied to apply for the GMRS license if
you intend to operate on GMRS frequencies. Your Amateur license will
not be sufficient there.

Also, how long does it take to get the actual paper license from the FCC
with your callsign?

Can't answer that, but Amateur items are running around 2-4
weeks...The Good thing is that the FCC says you may operate as soon as
a callsign with your name on it appears in teh database.

BTW...Another poster suggests that "no one is bothering to apply
for GMRS licenses"...If you plan on doing nothing but using the simplex
channels on low power, you might get away with that...But operate on
someone's licensed repeater and you're likely to find that $75 was a
small price to pay for the legal trouble you could manifest.

Good luck.

Steve Robeson, LPN
Amateur Station K4YZ

Thanks in advance.

Old July 25th 05, 10:43 PM
Doug McLaren

In article , steve wrote:

| There are very few people who even bother anymore applying
| for a GMRS license.

I have no idea how true this is, so I'll assume it's true.

However, as a ham radio operator, you've given the FCC one more stick
they can use on you -- they can take your ham license. That, and you
should be more familiar with the regulations than other people, so
they're less likely to `go easy' on you. So being a ham means you
need to be extra careful about obeying the FCC regulations, even if
they're not related to ham radio.

I'm surprised that the FCC charges so much for a GMRS license, but
they do, so that's that.

--
Doug McLaren, Eject, Buckaroo! Eject!

Old July 25th 05, 11:26 PM
Herb

"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

K4YZ a.k.a. the *least* credible source of information
on Usenet.

Old July 25th 05, 11:32 PM
an old friend

Herb wrote:
"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

K4YZ a.k.a. the *least* credible source of information
on Usenet.

ouch he isn't quite that bad the anomomous folks are generaly worse

Old July 25th 05, 11:36 PM
an old friend

DesignGuy wrote:
I'm getting read to take the exam for a ham ticket next month. I was curious
to know if having a ham radio license precludes one from the GMRS license
requirement, so paying the $75 for the GMRS license is no longer necessary
for ham license holders?

you should look at the power and freqs on your GMRS radio if they are
less than 2 watts you may be able to use the free MURS either on the
same fqs or retuning

Old July 26th 05, 01:09 AM
robert casey

DesignGuy wrote:
I'm getting read to take the exam for a ham ticket next month. I was curious
to know if having a ham radio license precludes one from the GMRS license
requirement, so paying the $75 for the GMRS license is no longer necessary
for ham license holders?

No, completely separate service. But if everyone in your
group are hams, you could use 70cm transceivers on a
simplex channel. Similar band as GMRS as far as technical
details are concerned. One thing is that you can't
do business traffic on the ham radios. But you won't
be competing with GMRS users.
Old July 26th 05, 04:34 AM
KU2S

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:31:42 GMT, "DesignGuy"
wrote:

I'm getting read to take the exam for a ham ticket next month. I was curious
to know if having a ham radio license precludes one from the GMRS license
requirement, so paying the $75 for the GMRS license is no longer necessary
for ham license holders?

No. Amateur radio and GMRS are seperate and unrelated. The
possession of a licence for one has no bearing on licensing for the
other.

Also, how long does it take to get the actual paper license from the FCC
with your callsign?

Thanks in advance.

Usually about a week, but since your first question should have been
answered in your preparation for taking the Amateur Radio licensing
exam, this license holder entertains severe reservations regarding
your ability to pass said examination.
Raymond Sirois KU2S
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
607-733-5745