Old July 26th 05, 09:23 PM
John Smith

Default New title/license for the "new breed" of ham...

UGVyaGFwcyB0aGV5IHdpbGwgbm93IGJlIHJlZmVycmVkIHRvIG FzOg0KDQoiQ0IgSGFtbWllcyIN
CiJIRiBDaGlja2VuIEJhbmRlcnMiDQoiMTAgbWV0ZXIgMTAtNC BidWRkaWVzIg0KIkJsYWNrIFBs
YWd1ZSBvZiB0aGUgRXRoZXIiDQoiUmFkaW8gQm96b3MiDQoiTm 9LZXkgS2V5Q2xvd25zIg0KIkhh
bSBUcnVja2VycyBGcm9tIEhlbGwiDQo/Pz8/DQoNCi4uLiBmZWVsIGZyZWUgdG8gYWRkIHlvdXIg
aWRlYXMgYW5kL29yIHN1Z2dlc3Rpb25zLi4uDQoNCkFmdGVyIG EgcHJvcGVyIHRpdGxlIGlzIGNo
b3NlbiBmb3IgdGhlbSwgdGhlIGxpY2Vuc2UgY291bGQgcmVmbG VjdCB0aGF0IG5hbWUuDQoNCkpv
aG4NCg==

Old July 26th 05, 11:30 PM
Dan/W4NTI

I prefer "Ultra-Light" myself.

Dan/W4NTI

"John Smith" wrote in message
Perhaps they will now be referred to as:

"CB Hammies"
"HF Chicken Banders"
"10 meter 10-4 buddies"
"Black Plague of the Ether"
"Radio Bozos"
"NoKey KeyClowns"
"Ham Truckers From Hell"
????

... feel free to add your ideas and/or suggestions...

After a proper title is chosen for them, the license could reflect that
name.

John

Old July 27th 05, 01:12 AM
Jim Hampton

"John Smith" wrote in message
There ain't nothin' "light weight" about those multikilowatt leen-e-eers

those boys are a packin'.

They pack a WALLOP! One of those channel 6 "big boys" is 15+ kw and lives

within a mile of the state capitol building here in sacramento! And, worse,
he is on almost everyday of the week!

You'd think those guys in the capitol building would get tired of getting

their hair singed!

John

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message

nk.net...
I prefer "Ultra-Light" myself.

Dan/W4NTI

"John Smith" wrote in message
Perhaps they will now be referred to as:

"CB Hammies"
"HF Chicken Banders"
"10 meter 10-4 buddies"
"Black Plague of the Ether"
"Radio Bozos"
"NoKey KeyClowns"
"Ham Truckers From Hell"
????

... feel free to add your ideas and/or suggestions...

After a proper title is chosen for them, the license could reflect that
name.

John

And channel 6 will be heard where?

They are depending upon sporadic e. Plus the fact that a kilowatt of CW
will run right through a 15 kilowatt am station. Should run right through a
10 kilowatt ssb station, for that matter )

I shan't get into the fact that other bands can yield far better results
depending upon distance, time of day, sunspot cycle, etc.

160 meters used to be fine for me anywhere in the country at night. That
was running 25 watts in one section (we were limited to 25 watts here due to
loran) and 65 to 75 watts in the other section.

A lowly 100 watts or so was fine to run phone patches to the U.S. from Guam
Island. Throwing on the afterburner (Henry 2K) and running a kilowatt was
fine almost anytime (although we had to give up 40 meters due to
interference to the movie theatre next door - don't ask; we were on a
military base and the captain was far more forbidding than the FCC could
ever have been LOL).

I had a direct contact with Webster, NY (a suburb of Rochester) running only
15 watts from Guam (10,000 miles away, perhaps). When he reported the
signal was not too strong, I hit the Henry and nearly knocked his speakers
off the shelf. Nothing like picking a frequency appropriate to what you are
trying to do. 10 meters, 15 meters, 20 meters, or 40. We ran those for the
long haul stuff from Guam. 40 or 20 at night; 20 through 10 during the day.
The exact band depended upon local time plus the time zone of where you
wanted a contact.

Heck, I worked a novice running 75 watts in New Jersey from Guam on 40
meters. Now tell me how good channel 6 is. Excuse me whilst I laugh my
tail section off. 10 or 15 kilowatts when 75 watts will do? You must have
cheap electric power or 50 cents per gallon gasoline ))

Heck, I had a couple of very good chats with blokes from England and
Australia running only 6 aa alkaline batteries into a handheld. All rf
path; no Internet involved.

Channel what was it, you said?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old July 27th 05, 04:02 AM
robert casey

I shan't get into the fact that other bands can yield far better results
depending upon distance, time of day, sunspot cycle, etc.

There maybe some "serious" radio hobbyists currently "freebanding"
that we might get to "repent" and give up freebanding and get
ham licenses. Of course others would be clowns we'd never
want....