Old August 12th 05, 10:43 PM
John Smith

Chuck:

Your text reminds me of some of the "motivational speakers" on TV.

I don't dispute it may well be true, for a past age, just not accurate
under todays technology and the state amateur radio now exists in...

.... yesterday just doesn't matter, today is only useful for being able to
plan tomorrow, tomorrow is where it is at!

John

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:22:02 -0700, Chuck Olson wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message
news
PM:

Most of that is fictional... lots of "could have", "should have", "would
have" which it suggests though...

Computer related hardware/software is where all of the engineers are
coming from today.

John

I guess you never put together a crystal set or a 1-tube radio, or designed
your own VFO-controlled transmitter. I did, and from those days in 7th
grade, I knew what I was going to do the rest of my life. By sophomore year
in high school I learned to send and receive Morse Code at 15 WPM so I could
be sure to meet the 13WPM requirement for my Ham license. At 21, my
Engineering education was interrupted by the draft, and I joined the Navy to
become an Electronics Technician and service radar and communications
equipment for 4 years. Resuming my education, I became an Electrical
Engineer and worked in industry for the next 38 years, continuously learning
new things as they became current technology. I was never laid off or a
victim of "reduction in force" through that entire career - - because I was
a "natural" and kept my skills up to meet the needs of my employer. Ham
radio is an excellent start for anyone who has a curiosity and fascination
about electronics, be it represented by radio communications or computers or
industrial control technology.

I was inspired by Polymath's description of the good effects of ham radio on
its devotees. He should be congratulated on his explanation - - a very
readable and true to life presentation.

73, Chuck W6PKP

Old August 12th 05, 11:06 PM
huLLy

John Smith wrote:

Somewhere along this line, you bump into a ham or a few. You look at
them using their equipment, it is apparent the internet is superior.
They lack the ability to exchange pics, apps, music, videos,
documents, etc. by transmissions taking seconds or minutes. Then,
they show you a CW key and you are dumb struck, and leave. You
return to the internet and current technology, never to stray
again... you begin a web site and consider what position you would
like in the computer field, when you grow up...

Fabulously put.
--
huLLy
Mobile phone 07976 123278

Old August 12th 05, 11:12 PM
KØHB

"Polymath" wrote

What is Ham Radio?

This message is a VERY brief attempt to explain the hobby and give
some pointers on where to get more information. Almost certainly I won't
answer all your questions, so feel free to ask for help. Hams are famous
for their eagerness to help newcomers. I should also point out that
this explanation assumes you live in the USA. Almost every country
has hams (amateur radio operators), but each has their own name
for the various classes of license, and the test requirements vary from
country to country.

(First I have to explain something you might not have realized. In
doing so, I'm going to paraphrase something written by Steve Ford,
WB8IMY, in his introduction to a book entitled "The ARRL Operating
Manual".)

In case you didn't know, belief in magic is a necessary requirement
for all Amateur Radio operators. Of course, you won't see a question
concerning magic or metaphysics on the test you take to obtain your
license, but in your heart you will come to believe in that powerful,
intangible force.

All of us in the hobby have felt its influence at one time or
another. Some night when the band is dead as a doornail you'll be
tuning aimlessly, not expecting to hear a single signal because NOTHING
could be coming through at that hour. But then, rising out of the noise
like a ghost, there will be a faint call from another stalwart explorer
thousands of miles distant. You pounce, establish contact and both of
you marvel at the fact that the conversation is taking place at all. A
few minutes later, however, the signal vanishes as quickly as it came.
Your rational mind will shrug it off as a quirk of propagation, but
that little tingle in your gut will tell you otherwise.

If you could travel back in time to, say, 1305 AD, you'd probably
be burned at the nearest stake for even suggesting that two human
beings could communicate with each other over great distances without a
physical connection. No doubt they would accuse you of dabbling in
magic -- and they'd be right!

As Amateur Radio operators, we work feats of magic every day. Many
of us have become jaded about our powers and we tend to dismiss them as
commonplace. We hardly think twice when we use our equipment to sommon
the elemental forces of the universe. But every so often we need to
pause and remind ourselves of what we are really doing. We need to
remember the essence of what drew us to our unusual avocation in the
first place: the wonderful magic of wireless communications.

So how can YOU become a magician?

First, you need to prepare to obtain a Magicians License. The Federal
Communications Commission calls them Amateur Radio Operator Licenses,
and they come in 3 "classes".

The Technician class license, is currently the most popular class,
providing the "first taste of magic" to most new licensees. There
is no Morse code examination for this license, and the written
examination is not considered difficult by most applicants. The
frequency bands for this license are largely "local" in nature. (You
can gain access to some "long distance" bands if you pass a slow
(5 words per minute) Morse examination, but this option may soon
be history if a recent FCC is adopted.)

The other two classes of license are General and Extra.
These two classes have access to portions of all amateur bands, with
progressively more difficult exams, and a requirement requirement
to pass a 5 word per minute Morse code exam.

To prepare for the exams you will need some study material and more
information about classes, examination points (the exams are given by
volunteer Hams in your community), and clubs in your area. A number of
organizations will be more than willing to help. One such organization
is the American Radio Relay League. They are on the Web at
http://www.arrl.org.

Or you can write them at:

ARRL 225 Main Street Newington, CT 06111

or call them at 1-800-32NEWHAM

Ask for their "Prospective Ham Package". It will include more
detailed information, a list of classes and clubs in your area, and a
list of scheduled examinations in your area. Include your ZIP
code in your query so they can send you info tailored for your
location.

If you are near a Radio Shack store, go there and ask for a book
entitled "Now You're Talking". This book is also available from the
ARRL. It contains all the information you need, including study
material and sample questions for the examination for the Technician
license.

Good luck, and welcome to the "magical" hobby.

Regards,

Hans, K0HB

Old August 12th 05, 11:17 PM
an old friend

a much better peice of writing

K=D8HB wrote:
[...]

=20
Regards,
=20
Hans, K0HB

Old August 12th 05, 11:18 PM
Trying to be a real ham!

On 12 Aug 2005 12:34:33 -0700, "Polymath"
wrote:

they are nothing
of the kind! Usually such people are a
variation of the CB Radio hobbyist...

Actually it was CB band competition between a friend and I combined
with my desire to understand radio that turned me in to a ham. When I
was back in school my friend and I started trying to see who could put
out the strongest signal. His father bought him an amplifier to get
over me. I was not going to ask my parents for an amplifier, and I
did not have any money to buy one since I was a full time student. I
had heard the phrase "Knowledge is power", so I decided if I could not
buy a bigger amp to get over my friend I would have to out smart him
with brain power.
I went to the school library and started reading radio handbooks
like Bill Orr's handbook. When a radio repair tech at the local ham
store realized I truly wanted to learn the science of radio he gave me
a copy of the 1983 ARRL handbook for free (it was 1984 at the time).
I read that book until it fell apart. Then I bought another ARRL
radio book, and then another radio book, and then another radio book.
I'm still doing that all these years later. The radios I talk on (a
Tempo 2020, Drake 4 B line twins, Yaesu FT-101ee, and a Midland 79-892
40 channel sideband CB) were all someone else's broken door stop. None
of them worked when I bought them. I repaired them all, and I made
most of my antennas. When I talk on those old radios part of me
smiles, because I know the only reason those radios are still working
is because I put them back on the air.
Anyway after deciding to ignore all the CB radio folklore I had
heard on the CB back in the 1970s and early 1980s, I learned the truth
about radio from reading the ARRL handbooks. I quickly became the
strongest CB station on the airways, and much of that was with self
taught radio know how.
A local ham noticed I was emerging from the CB pack as a potential
ham, and he started talking to me about ham radio. I aced the 5 wpm
Morse code test three weeks after listening to my first ARRL code
tape, and I don't even like Morse code. I aced all my exams, my 13
WPM code test, and now I am an Advanced class ham. When I passed my
Advanced written test a bunch old timers circled around the VE
examiners desk looking for a mistake on my test, but there was none to
be found. I made a perfect score, and out of all my test I only missed
one question.
One of the reasons I have not taken the Extra test is because the
old timers spit on the new no code Extra. I'm proud of my Advanced
class license, and I would not take kindly to an old timer spitting on
me if I had the new no code Extra.
In the past I used older equipment because I could not afford
anything else. Now I can afford the best, but I find myself poking
around in the old tube types and tube hybrids, because I don't know if
I can service the new surface mount technology stuff. If all I could
do was talk on the radio that would take all the fun out of it for me.
I think the best compliment I ever received on the ham bands was
when an old timer listened to all the things I was building and doing
and he said; "You are a true ham". That phrase from an old timer
meant more to me than any signal report or any DX contact. I am a
true ham, and I started on the CB band back in the 1970s just like
most other hams my age. I am not ashamed of my CB heritage. The
truth is I had a blast on the CB band back then.

Michael Rawls
KS4HY

Old August 13th 05, 12:31 AM
John Smith

Michael:

Thanks for your post. (A real "BLAST-FROM-THE-PAST!")

Back in the 70's, on CB, some of the best radio years of my whole life
where there... I miss them... (there was a "rubber duck" under every
rock--we still got "mud ducks" though

Amateur radio has changed too, the bands are not as interesting... the
personalities stagnant and without humor, without fun, without excitement,
without youngsters, without harmless pranks, without mystery. Bunch of
old guys attempting to play "James Bond", "secret agent" and attempting
more structure to communication than the NSA uses!

I hope-against-hope the good old days of radio will return, but, I would
like it to do so on new technology... some of us which remember the old
CB days (days when even, good, hams had cb rigs!--or, we made do with 10
meter equip. grin) are on ch. 38-39 LSB (27.385, 27.395) in the central
valley of calif, we are a stagnant number, be nice to have the company.
Lot of mobiles so they escape the harassment of hams still waging the
"old war." If you mention your call, be prepared to take some kidding...

If you ever get an opportunity--come join us! Real CB still lives in
isolated pockets!

John

Old August 13th 05, 02:04 AM
Dee Flint

"John Smith" wrote in message
news
PM:

Let me give a summary of the "real world."

If you were a child today, you would grow up with the computer.

In elementary school your first "pen pal" would be in a foreign country
and you would communicate with them via the internet. You would learn to
IM, IRC, EMAIL, MSN CHAT, YAHOO, WEB CAM, etc....

By high school you would be picking up a computer script and/or language
and at least have a basic knowledge of programming. Your first hardware
project would most likely be computer related.

Somewhere along this line, you bump into a ham or a few. You look at them
using their equipment, it is apparent the internet is superior. They lack
the ability to exchange pics, apps, music, videos, documents, etc. by
transmissions taking seconds or minutes. Then, they show you a CW key and
you are dumb struck, and leave. You return to the internet and current
technology, never to stray again... you begin a web site and consider
what position you would like in the computer field, when you grow up...

John

The days of kids being computer gurus have already come and gone. Now they
just play video games and chat. Very few get interested in programming.
Very few do a hardware project. They take their computers to the shop for
upgrades. They only people that I have observed doing their own hardware
upgrades, rebuilding computers, etc are the middle aged and the "old farts"
that you seem to despise so.

I spend countless hours teaching our interns how to use email, spreadsheets,
etc.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old August 13th 05, 02:58 AM
Frank

I hope-against-hope the good old days of radio will return, but, I would
like it to do so on new technology... some of us which remember the old
CB days (days when even, good, hams had cb rigs!--or, we made do with 10
meter equip. grin) are on ch. 38-39 LSB (27.385, 27.395) in the central
valley of calif, we are a stagnant number, be nice to have the company.
Lot of mobiles so they escape the harassment of hams still waging the
"old war." If you mention your call, be prepared to take some kidding...

If you ever get an opportunity--come join us! Real CB still lives in
isolated pockets!

John

You ever get on 40 m John? Often on Sunday evenings around 7168 +/-.

73,

Frank

PS I thought this was a Brit N.G.

Old August 13th 05, 03:19 AM
John Smith

Dee:

You know you have won a soft-spot in my heart now, and I always wanna
"take-the-gloves-off" when replying to your posts, and I would, except you
would take it as an insult and never forgive me...

Yes, there are people like that in the world. Indeed, the top of the
bell-curve are those with an IQ of 100-110 (barely intelligent enough not
to drool on their work.) If your company/corp is interning them, you
really should look for a position elsewhere, but you knew that...

John

Old August 13th 05, 03:31 AM
John Smith

Sneaky Frank:

I often listen to "Bell's Bunch" on 3.840, once in a great while--bore
them with comment or two of mine (I make fun of AB and Wayne Greene--but
kinda like 'em both. grin) I just punched ~7168 into memory of the rig
and will take a peek...

I think you can tell, I am an easy mark, if the conversation is
provocative, interesting and civilized... maybe... that is hard to find
today, yanno, good conversation...

Thank you for the invitation, I am honored to be asked...

John