Old August 25th 05, 03:41 PM
David Stinson

Default "Policy" Question

If I killfile the half-dozen guys who are always fighting in here,
will there be anyone left?
Old August 25th 05, 05:01 PM
an_old_friend

David Stinson wrote:
If I killfile the half-dozen guys who are always fighting in here,
will there be anyone left?

no which is Stevie goal

stopp anything by attacking the posters

Old August 25th 05, 05:18 PM

David Stinson wrote:
If I killfile the half-dozen guys who are always fighting in here,
will there be anyone left?

Well, there's me.

Unless you consider me one of those "always fighting".

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 25th 05, 06:03 PM
Dave

"David Stinson" wrote in message
nk.net...
If I killfile the half-dozen guys who are always fighting in here,
will there be anyone left?

yes, but it won't be any fun any more.

Old August 25th 05, 08:01 PM
an old friend

Dave wrote:
"David Stinson" wrote in message
nk.net...
If I killfile the half-dozen guys who are always fighting in here,
will there be anyone left?

yes, but it won't be any fun any more.

well at least you are admitting to your motives now

progress Boyo Progress

Old August 25th 05, 08:28 PM
Dave

"an old friend" wrote in message
ps.com...

Dave wrote:
"David Stinson" wrote in message
nk.net...
If I killfile the half-dozen guys who are always fighting in here,
will there be anyone left?

yes, but it won't be any fun any more.

well at least you are admitting to your motives now

progress Boyo Progress

yep, i don't killfile most of them so i have something to laugh at.

Old August 25th 05, 08:31 PM
an old friend

Like I said progress boyo

Old August 25th 05, 11:37 PM
Dee Flint

"David Stinson" wrote in message
nk.net...
If I killfile the half-dozen guys who are always fighting in here,
will there be anyone left?

Depends on your definition of fighting. I think you would at least be left
with Mike Coslo, John Smith, Jim (N2EY) and myself as we at least try to
have interesting debates rather than fights.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old August 26th 05, 12:01 AM

From: David Stinson on Thurs 25 Aug 2005 14:41

If I killfile the half-dozen guys who are always fighting in here,
will there be anyone left?

Absolutely YES. But, they will ALL be in various Archives
somewhere, in places other than Google.*

The "killfile" feature affects ONLY YOUR particular browser's cache.
Filtering out "objectionable" postings will leave you deaf/sightless
to what others' opinions are and only reinforce whatever your pre-
conceived opinions might be. Call it a subset of bigotry...it can't
be much of anything else.

"Killfiling" is good for things like spam about things NOT related
to the main subject of a newsgroup. There it would be justified.
But, justified to eliminate opinions which are contrary to your
own? That's rather egocentric.

One major problem with "killfiling" is that OTHERS can comment at
will on what you've written...and you will NOT know about that
unless someone includes a "killfiled" person's quotes. That makes
you vulnerable to all kinds of things in addition to adding a time
delay on some particular argument. Some in here have been doing
that already. It's sometimes called the "ostrich syndrome;" i.e.,
burying the head in sand to cut out the 'awful noise' of contrary
opinions. All that gets one is sand in the ears. :-)

* There are several "private" archive sites on the 'web which both
download newsgroups and permit "discussion" on those, sometimes
yielding "challenges" from the upset/outraged/disturbed inviduals
who want to fight about a subject. Few of those archive sites have
two-way interaction with the 'web so it winds up a bunch of "locals"
thinking they are arguing with you...yet not going any farther than
the local archive. :-)

Essentially, "killfiling" is just self-deception. It may be
part of an egocentric attitude, might not. But denial that
contrary opinions exist is still just self-deception. Such may
make you feel better, but that is only inside your own head.
The rest of the world continues on, like it or not. :-)

You are, of course, free to do whatever you want.

you are