RadioBanter

-   -   If CW is dead.... (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/77117-if-cw-dead.html)

Dave Heil September 14th 05 05:07 AM

wrote:

The sum total of Brian's input to one of Len's most recent mindless
rants is:

He pathetic mofoko.

He pathetic mofoko.

Nope. Gotta take it to the ARRL

Jim be pathetic mofoko.

See Carl's latest posting? He be blackballed.

RYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRY...

I'm committed.

By alarm automatically shuts off after an hour.

Maybe for socks.

W1AW.

Where's Brian Kelly/W3RV when you don't need him?

You see the latest posting by Carl?

It didn't read any better when Len's words were left intact.

Dave K8MN

[email protected] September 14th 05 06:40 AM

From: on Sep 13, 8:50 pm

From: on Sep 11, 3:45 am
From: on Sep 8, 4:32 pm
Dave Heil wrote:
From: on Sep 3, 1:55 pm
John Smith wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:23:26 -0700, N2EY wrote:

I think his "glass" is half-broken. Six and a half years AFTER
I filed a Reply to Comments on 98-143 Jimmie still wants to
ARGUE that!

He pathetic mofoko.

Report and Order 99-412 pretty well put an END to
all those Comments when it came out in late December 1999.

He pathetic mofoko.

I disagree. I call him simply 'hypocrite.' He says he is civil
and polite, yet he keeps on bring up OLD stuff to RE-ARGUE. It's
obvious he wants some kind of verbal food fight in here.

Jimmie won't let it end. Nossir, he had to keep on arguing and
arguing and arguing and arguing that.

Nope. Gotta take it to the ARRL

I read Carl's webpage, astounded at the results.

The ARRL does *NOT* rule on free speech nor does Imlay's law
firm. Screum.

I'm still waiting for Jim's prediction of when the next class 5
hurricane will hit.

Jimmie's levee is broken and he is too busy pumping himself out
to give predictions. He be flooded with "information."

Jim be pathetic mofoko.

On second thought, you may have something in that... :-(

See Carl's latest posting? He be blackballed.

Blackballed and a half by the Good Ol Boys at the League.

I rather suspected that the League hierarchy would find
some way to keep Carl down. His past and present doings
(NCI Executive Directorship) are NOT in line with what the
ARRL "leadership" wants.

I've tried to point out some of the above for years, only
to be met by the Zealot BELIEVERS of the League who say
they can do nothing wrong. Obviously they've done something
wrong, even for a PRIVATE membership organization that can
toss out anyone they damn well want to. It seems, in Carl's
case, they did just that.

Yep. They boast of working out of band amateurs and collecting W1AW
messages before the start of the field day contest.

Morsemanship enables prescience! :-)

W1AW.

The radio voice of the League. Oyez, oyez, all hear...

Where's Brian Kelly/W3RV when you don't need him?

He be in onct in a while...

You see the latest posting by Carl?

I sort of suspected something like that would happen. I didn't
expect
it would be so STRONG and PETTY though.

The "leadership" be entrenched and they LIKE being the
"leadership." As a PRIVATE membership organization they
can do anydamnthing they please. And it pleased them to
keep Carl OUT. So much for their alleged "democratic
principles" and "honest elections."

As a definite NON-member (no amateur radio license,
therefore no voting privileges in ARRL anything), all I
can say is that the actions of the ARRL are just
reprehensible.

What the League did was contrary to Dee's insistence that
"all should join and 'change it from within'" or something
to that effect. That's a non sequitur. If one can't get
IN, it be impossible to change a thing there. A sophistry.

an_old_friend September 14th 05 11:01 AM

From: on Sep 13, 8:50 pm

From: on Sep 11, 3:45 am
From: on Sep 8, 4:32 pm
Dave Heil wrote:
From: on Sep 3, 1:55 pm
John Smith wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:23:26 -0700, N2EY wrote:

cut

Jimmie won't let it end. Nossir, he had to keep on arguing and
arguing and arguing and arguing that.

Nope. Gotta take it to the ARRL

I read Carl's webpage, astounded at the results.

The ARRL does *NOT* rule on free speech nor does Imlay's law
firm. Screum.

cut

See Carl's latest posting? He be blackballed.

Blackballed and a half by the Good Ol Boys at the League.

I rather suspected that the League hierarchy would find
some way to keep Carl down. His past and present doings
(NCI Executive Directorship) are NOT in line with what the
ARRL "leadership" wants.

I never thought that they would move so openly, I was wonderingif some
game might be playedd with the vote tailling

I've tried to point out some of the above for years, only
to be met by the Zealot BELIEVERS of the League who say
they can do nothing wrong. Obviously they've done something
wrong, even for a PRIVATE membership organization that can
toss out anyone they damn well want to. It seems, in Carl's
case, they did just that.

To think I had decided that if Carl won his race Id give the ARRL
another chance to earn my loyality
cut

[email protected] September 14th 05 07:29 PM

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 3:01 am

From: on Sep 13, 8:50 pm
From: on Sep 11, 3:45 am
From: on Sep 8, 4:32 pm
Dave Heil wrote:
From: on Sep 3, 1:55 pm
John Smith wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:23:26 -0700, N2EY wrote:

See Carl's latest posting? He be blackballed.

Blackballed and a half by the Good Ol Boys at the League.

I rather suspected that the League hierarchy would find
some way to keep Carl down. His past and present doings
(NCI Executive Directorship) are NOT in line with what the
ARRL "leadership" wants.

I never thought that they would move so openly, I was wonderingif some
game might be playedd with the vote tailling

Actually, the League did NOT act openly. ARRL simply announced
the candidates for Divisions and Carl Stevenson was left out of
the list. For all those who haven't had an idea of what's been
going on elsewhere in radio, the Atlantic Division, or NCI, they
would have been none the wiser.

The "game" is simply Sinning By Omission. Leaving out Carl's name
or any mention of why a proposed candidate was tossed gives the
APPEARANCE of "orderly progress" to the League. They don't have
any "dirty linen" to hang out and display so they appear to be the
"good guys." [they've got a huge hamper full of that dirty linen
but just don't mention it, so it APPEARS they don't have any]

I've tried to point out some of the above for years, only
to be met by the Zealot BELIEVERS of the League who say
they can do nothing wrong. Obviously they've done something
wrong, even for a PRIVATE membership organization that can
toss out anyone they damn well want to. It seems, in Carl's
case, they did just that.

To think I had decided that if Carl won his race Id give the ARRL
another chance to earn my loyality

The League is NOT out to win brownie points for themselves. They
are ENTRENCHED and have been so since 1914...84 years now. By
all the past minutes of the BoD, by all their statements of the
past half century, they've assumed a mantle of "leadership" of
and by themselves. All their decisions are done by a very small
cadre of "leaders" who decide among themselves "what is good for
amateur radio." Oh, they do have some articles on "advancement"
of the state of the art, but the majority of their decisions are
done for their core membership, those who "work DX on HF with CW."

With a stated 145 thousand members (in the QST Publisher's
Sworn Statement of the end of July 2005), their membership is
only 1 in 5 licensed United States radio amateurs. So far,
they are managing to keep solvent by the publishing arm of the
League, the part that pays the majority of their expenses of
staying alive. [four years ago their federal income tax forms
showed an income of $12.5 million...not bad for a "non-profit"
entity...there's no hope in heck that membership dues are going
to be any sizeable part of that income]

What the League did was contrary to Dee's insistence that
"all should join and 'change it from within'" or something
to that effect. That's a non sequitur. If one can't get
IN, it be impossible to change a thing there. A sophistry.

So...how does one GET INSIDE to start changing things? It is
NOT by joining and running for any office. Carl Stevenson has
shown that isn't possible. Dee's and others' remarks about
"joining to change things within" is just sophistry, an emotional
phrase to attract membership that has nothing to do with "changes."
The only way to "get inside" is to toady up to the "leadership,"
suck up to the BoD, and begin very slowly in all meetings to turn
things around. That will take decades and will only work by
human attrition, waiting for the present "leadership" to age and
go SK. Right now the League is an oligarchy.

A problem with oligarchies are that POWER is vested in only a
few. They CONTROL. They control what is said publicly, they
control everything that is printed in their "official" books
and magazines. They think they control everything but they
don't. The Internet has become a great "equalizer" of opinions.
Worse yet, the United States government is connected to the
Internet and everyone can see that Commenters in WT Docket 05-235
are not all in agreement with the League.

For that matter, the League has NOT YET responded in any way to
Docket 05-235 and NPRM 05-143. The matter of elimination or
retention of a telegraphy test for a license is of paramount
concern in the immediate future of United States amateur radio.
The League can't be bothered with that. They've had TWO MONTHS
since the release of the NPRM to say something. They haven't.
Or they CAN'T...perhaps not able to understand anyone not
going along with the decisions of a conclave of wire-pullers
in Newington.

an_old_friend September 14th 05 07:40 PM

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 3:01 am

From: on Sep 13, 8:50 pm
From: on Sep 11, 3:45 am
From: on Sep 8, 4:32 pm
Dave Heil wrote:
From: on Sep 3, 1:55 pm
John Smith wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:23:26 -0700, N2EY wrote:

See Carl's latest posting? He be blackballed.

Blackballed and a half by the Good Ol Boys at the League.

I rather suspected that the League hierarchy would find
some way to keep Carl down. His past and present doings
(NCI Executive Directorship) are NOT in line with what the
ARRL "leadership" wants.

I never thought that they would move so openly, I was wonderingif some
game might be playedd with the vote tailling

Actually, the League did NOT act openly. ARRL simply announced
the candidates for Divisions and Carl Stevenson was left out of
the list. For all those who haven't had an idea of what's been
going on elsewhere in radio, the Atlantic Division, or NCI, they
would have been none the wiser.

Forgive my inprecision I meant more openly than I would have expected.
What concerned me was playing florida like games with what is and isn't
a proper ballot. they have moved more openly than I would have expected

Or perhaps as you say later they just lack an understanding of the way
info propagates these days

The "game" is simply Sinning By Omission. Leaving out Carl's name
or any mention of why a proposed candidate was tossed gives the
APPEARANCE of "orderly progress" to the League. They don't have
any "dirty linen" to hang out and display so they appear to be the
"good guys." [they've got a huge hamper full of that dirty linen
but just don't mention it, so it APPEARS they don't have any]

making anyone wonder what else is in the hammper

[...]

and you know they don't even do right by them (those core members) they
proposed dropping the code tests standard dfurther helping to insure
the Victory of NoCode

[...]

And from history I don't think that will work either, look at the
leadership in the COmunist Party in the USSR over the years (or read
RedStrom strom rising by clancey) on how one exists in these structure

[email protected] September 14th 05 10:20 PM

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 11:40 am

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 3:01 am

Actually, the League did NOT act openly. ARRL simply announced
the candidates for Divisions and Carl Stevenson was left out of
the list. For all those who haven't had an idea of what's been
going on elsewhere in radio, the Atlantic Division, or NCI, they
would have been none the wiser.

Forgive my inprecision I meant more openly than I would have expected.
What concerned me was playing florida like games with what is and isn't
a proper ballot. they have moved more openly than I would have expected

Well, the ARRL is a PRIVATE membership organization...even if they
try very hard to convince folks that they are "official" and some
kind of beneavolent "democratic principled, free election" kind of
group.

Or perhaps as you say later they just lack an understanding of the way
info propagates these days

I doubt that. Carl Stevenson would be seen by the League hierarchy
as "controversial." Remember that the ARRL has been a staunch
supporter of morsemanship ever since Maxim was their president.
Their core membership is made up largely of morsemen.

Carl is ALSO executive director of NCI. The ARRL did NOT get what
they wanted in one of the past 18 Petitions, that of having the
code test retained for Amateur Extra. As far as the League is
concerned for their appearance to their core membership, that has
to rankle.

The "game" is simply Sinning By Omission. Leaving out Carl's name
or any mention of why a proposed candidate was tossed gives the
APPEARANCE of "orderly progress" to the League. They don't have
any "dirty linen" to hang out and display so they appear to be the
"good guys." [they've got a huge hamper full of that dirty linen
but just don't mention it, so it APPEARS they don't have any]

making anyone wonder what else is in the hammper

Wear a haz-mat breathing mask if you look? :-)

No. Sin by Omission is a convenient tool to convince others of a
group's wonderfulness. Done right it can convince a LOT of folks
that the League can do no wrong and never has.

Take the simple (but very complex) history of radio. To hear the
League tell it, amateurs "invented radio, pioneered HF, and did all
the exceptional state-of-the-art things" in radio. They didn't and
that has been proved in more than one historical text involving the
beginning of radio and on through the post-WW2 period.

Take another one, where the League stresses the "importance" of
morsemanship to basic radio, emergency communications, and having
this "pool" of experienced (i.e., morse code skilled) operators
for the nation. It's all nonsense, but it pleases the core
membership of the League so they just omit mention that ALL the
other radio services have either dropped morse code use or never
considered it when they started. The core membership thinks highly
of morse code as all the 'best' things in radio. The League is
representing their core membership.

The League is NOT out to win brownie points for themselves. They
are ENTRENCHED and have been so since 1914...84 years now. By
all the past minutes of the BoD, by all their statements of the
past half century, they've assumed a mantle of "leadership" of
and by themselves. All their decisions are done by a very small
cadre of "leaders" who decide among themselves "what is good for
amateur radio." Oh, they do have some articles on "advancement"
of the state of the art, but the majority of their decisions are
done for their core membership, those who "work DX on HF with CW."

and you know they don't even do right by them (those core members) they
proposed dropping the code tests standard dfurther helping to insure
the Victory of NoCode

The League HAD to recognize the law AFTER it was enacted (99-412,
the R&O creating "restructuring" which included 5 WPM maximum rate
for all code tests). The League was AGAINST such "draconian"
rate reductions BEFORE the R&O was issued.

What is interesting is to look in on the 2200+ Comments on WT
Docket 98-143 between 1 January 1998 and 15 January 1999 (that
latter being the official cut-off date for Comments). Mixed in
with the early documents are a couple of RM Comments on previous
Petitions for resctructurings. The first one I found in reference
to code test rate was Cecil Moore's around the middle of January
1998...describing making all code test rates 5 WPM. Cecil, then
W6RCA, had been a long-time poster in this newsgroup.

The League's latest Petition involves retention of the code test
for Amateur Extra and they've managed to convince lots of the
already-Extra that this "must" be retained. Many many comments
on WT Docket 05-235 keep bringing up that.

So...how does one GET INSIDE to start changing things? It is
NOT by joining and running for any office. Carl Stevenson has
shown that isn't possible. Dee's and others' remarks about
"joining to change things within" is just sophistry, an emotional
phrase to attract membership that has nothing to do with "changes."
The only way to "get inside" is to toady up to the "leadership,"
suck up to the BoD, and begin very slowly in all meetings to turn
things around. That will take decades and will only work by
human attrition, waiting for the present "leadership" to age and
go SK. Right now the League is an oligarchy.

And from history I don't think that will work either, look at the
leadership in the COmunist Party in the USSR over the years (or read
RedStrom strom rising by clancey) on how one exists in these structure

The ARRL is an oligarchy...but it is NOT a political party nor is
there anything close to a dictatorship NOW. In terms of
historical length, the ARRL lasted longer than Commununism did in
the USSR! NO real parallel. :-)

However, oligarchies CAN be dictatorial if they rise to a power of
influencing those who don't bother looking elsewhere for
information. Through its publishing arm, the ARRL influences U.S.
amateur thinking greatly. The League CONTROLS everything they
publish, right down to "letters to the editor" section in QST.
Ultimate CONTROL. That can be the danger.

In 84 years of existance, the League has done a LOT of conditioned
thinking of members. Such has made many into zealots an Believers
that the League can do NO real wrong. As such, these zealots and
Believers have elevated the League well beyond their actual
political influence organization capabilities. That is excellent
for the League's survival. It's a big feedback loop: The League
controls all their publishing, they publish - and sell - a LOT of
amateur radio interest literature, making money for the League,
then play at being a quasi-governmental democratic-principle
organization having "free" elections. Remember that the League
CONTROLS what the "free' election "results" are...they are NOT
governed by any independent government organization as is done
in federal government.

Now if there is to be any comparison of organizations, try the
American Olympic Committee ruled by Avery Brundage in the 1930s.
Amateur to a fault, the slightest infraction of those American
amateur definitions resulted in a few top-notch amateur athletes
being forbidden to compete. Oligarchial, yes, dictatorial to a
degree. NOT a good time for American amateur sport in spirit.
That draconian insistence on PURE amateurism in Olympic sport
disappeared in the reality of later decades, the IOC recognizing
that sport was sport, for the enjoyment of sport...not some
intense religious-zealot insistence on maintaining antiquated
rules and regulations of ideals that were impossible to hold.

So, Carl Stevenson is "denied" a candidacy according to some
League "law" about "conflict of interest" supposedly for being a
professional in radio. In all probability, the only "conflict of
interest" is simply that the League hierarchy didn't find Carl
"comfortable" to Them. The charge of "conflict of interest" in
regards to IEEE Standards Group work...where Wi-Fi and Wi-Max do
NOT conflict with amateur radio in any way. [Carl is also
running for Member At Large position on Standards on the IEEE
November ballot]

Mainly it would seem that Carl is just "too controversial" to
the League and their stand on morse code testing in amateur radio.

Dave Heil September 15th 05 12:34 AM

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 11:40 am

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 3:01 am

Actually, the League did NOT act openly. ARRL simply announced
the candidates for Divisions and Carl Stevenson was left out of
the list. For all those who haven't had an idea of what's been
going on elsewhere in radio, the Atlantic Division, or NCI, they
would have been none the wiser.

Forgive my inprecision I meant more openly than I would have expected.
What concerned me was playing florida like games with what is and isn't
a proper ballot. they have moved more openly than I would have expected

Well, the ARRL is a PRIVATE membership organization...even if they
try very hard to convince folks that they are "official" and some
kind of beneavolent "democratic principled, free election" kind of
group.

Oh yes, very PRIVATE, Leonard. Any radio amateur anywhere in the world
can becoming a voting member for 39 bucks per year (some discounts apply
for students and senior citizens and some surcharges are added for
foreign members). Any non-licensee with an interest in amateur radio
can become a non-voting Associate Member. Free elections are held and
democratic principles are employed. As there are restrictions on who
can run for the U.S. Congress, there are restrictions on who can run for
the ARRL Board of Directors.

Or perhaps as you say later they just lack an understanding of the way
info propagates these days

I doubt that. Carl Stevenson would be seen by the League hierarchy
as "controversial."

That's quite possible. Someone who sits on the Board may have even read
this newsgroup and might have seen some of Carl's choice comments about
the League and about Directors. His words would not have disqualified
him for candidacy though.

Remember that the ARRL has been a staunch
supporter of morsemanship ever since Maxim was their president.
Their core membership is made up largely of morsemen.

....or so you've been told.

Carl is ALSO executive director of NCI. The ARRL did NOT get what
they wanted in one of the past 18 Petitions, that of having the
code test retained for Amateur Extra. As far as the League is
concerned for their appearance to their core membership, that has
to rankle.

People get used to being rankled. The rules for running for Section
Director are what they are. Nothing was changed in order to exclude
Carl Stevenson.

Dave K8MN

an_old_friend September 15th 05 01:39 AM

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 11:40 am

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 3:01 am

[...]

certainly they are free to contribute, or is tha pay tribute to the
ARRL, just not free to run for office as other memebers of the BoD are

Free Elections held are to be held when?

Or perhaps as you say later they just lack an understanding of the way
info propagates these days

I doubt that. Carl Stevenson would be seen by the League hierarchy
as "controversial."

That's quite possible. Someone who sits on the Board may have even read
this newsgroup and might have seen some of Carl's choice comments about
the League and about Directors. His words would not have disqualified
him for candidacy though.

hard to say that with any real assurance

Remember that the ARRL has been a staunch
supporter of morsemanship ever since Maxim was their president.
Their core membership is made up largely of morsemen.

...or so you've been told.

so we have SEEN

Carl is ALSO executive director of NCI. The ARRL did NOT get what
they wanted in one of the past 18 Petitions, that of having the
code test retained for Amateur Extra. As far as the League is
concerned for their appearance to their core membership, that has
to rankle.

People get used to being rankled. The rules for running for Section
Director are what they are. Nothing was changed in order to exclude
Carl Stevenson.

just decided that that he wasn't entitled to same consideration as
other memebr of the current BoD nothing more than that

Dave K8MN

[email protected] September 15th 05 04:50 AM

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 5:39 pm

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 11:40 am
From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 3:01 am

[...]

Doesn't really matter, Mark. Snarly Dave wants to make it appear
that the ARRL "is run just like the federal government." Ain't so,
no matter what he implies.

Snarly Dave is a BELIEVER and he HATES anyone that dares sass
his beloved League.

Or perhaps as you say later they just lack an understanding of the way
info propagates these days

I doubt that. Carl Stevenson would be seen by the League hierarchy
as "controversial."

That's quite possible. Someone who sits on the Board may have even read
this newsgroup and might have seen some of Carl's choice comments about
the League and about Directors. His words would not have disqualified
him for candidacy though.

hard to say that with any real assurance

Snarly Dave "KNOWS" that the ARRL is free, open, without blemish
and ultimately "fair" to the point of being a veritable nirvana.

Remember that the ARRL has been a staunch
supporter of morsemanship ever since Maxim was their president.
Their core membership is made up largely of morsemen.

...or so you've been told.

so we have SEEN

Absolutely! It is readily apparent to anyone in years of QST
editions, all the filings the League made at the FCC, and in
the general order of favored precedence in the ARRL publishings.

Snarly Dave wants everyone to believe the League is "benevolent"
to an absurdity insofar as modes are concerned. They are
"objective" only in their definitions of themselves; others see
them differently.

Carl is ALSO executive director of NCI. The ARRL did NOT get what
they wanted in one of the past 18 Petitions, that of having the
code test retained for Amateur Extra. As far as the League is
concerned for their appearance to their core membership, that has
to rankle.

People get used to being rankled. The rules for running for Section
Director are what they are. Nothing was changed in order to exclude
Carl Stevenson.

just decided that that he wasn't entitled to same consideration as
other memebr of the current BoD nothing more than that

Snarly Dave "explained it all," Mark. All are supposed to TAKE
what they receive at the hands of the League. Period.

Snarly Dave ain't explained that the League simple left Carl OFF
the ballot. No word why from the League. The League "doesn't
have to explain anything," they just DO. That says it all.

Snarly Dave doesn't like Carl Stevenson. So, don't expect any
objectivity from Dave.

Snarly Dave doesn't like you, either. Don't expect any objectivity
on anything you write in here.

Snarly Dave just plain hates my guts from years back when I didn't
remove my hat, act obedient in his presence, and say "sir" a lot.
Might have been different if I'd slathered gratuitous praise and
admiration for his "government service" in the wilds of Africa,
especially his "synchronizing RTTYs with morsemanship" in the
1980s. :-) Sorry, I don't heap praise on bull**** artists.

Dave's "from the government and he's not here to help" (anyone but
himself). It's as simple as that.

an_old_friend September 15th 05 06:01 AM

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 5:39 pm

From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 11:40 am
From: an_old_friend on Sep 14, 3:01 am

No you are wrong in that I think he beleives the **** he is shoveling

[...]

I don't

Snarly Dave just plain hates my guts from years back when I didn't
remove my hat, act obedient in his presence, and say "sir" a lot.
Might have been different if I'd slathered gratuitous praise and
admiration for his "government service" in the wilds of Africa,
especially his "synchronizing RTTYs with morsemanship" in the
1980s. :-) Sorry, I don't heap praise on bull**** artists.

Dave's "from the government and he's not here to help" (anyone but
himself). It's as simple as that.

No he isn't from the Govt. thank god for that