Old September 9th 05, 11:56 PM
an_old_friend

Default what singular things does the ARS bring to the tabel for something like Katrina

In the discussion of the ARS work during Katrina there is a distintion
being lost, the difference between Valuable and Vital.

I am certain that somewhere postclean up some looking at disater plans
is goingto look at just what value our service has provided

I have seen little in the back and forth that rises to level of Vital.
Indeed would the world notice a difference in the suffering if the ARS
had not existed for Katrina. even the people we help would likely not
be aware of the difference after all a ham radio message seem to come
to them as a bolt from the blue since our profile in the world is low.

agin I se our service as valuable but despensable, the served agencies
could funtion without us supplies would still be moved

This isn't to trash the ARS but someone not freindly to our interests
will be asking these questions, we would be better if we had thought
about em first

Old September 10th 05, 10:36 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

With your attitude and age you don't know of how Ham Radio used to be with
the agencies. Right up there with "gotta have it".

Over the years the agencies like Red Cross, Civil Defense (Now Emergency
Management), etc. depended on hams for commo. These type of agencies went
for the sales pitches of the high tech big buck computer driven systems you
see today. You know the ones like the NY Trade Center had and no one could
talk to each other with. Same Same in this fiasco.

KISS.....keep it simple stupid is a time proven technique. And hams have
that perfected.

HOPEFULLY someone in power will pay attention before the next disaster
strikes. In the mean time dedicated Amateur Radio operators will practice
and train. At their own expense and not ask a dang thing for it.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 10th 05, 11:42 PM
an_old_friend

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...
In the discussion of the ARS work during Katrina there is a distintion
being lost, the difference between Valuable and Vital.

cut
This isn't to trash the ARS but someone not freindly to our interests
will be asking these questions, we would be better if we had thought
about em first

With your attitude and age you don't know of how Ham Radio used to be with
the agencies. Right up there with "gotta have it".

I point out of the critical part of your sentence ..."used to be.."

Over the years the agencies like Red Cross, Civil Defense (Now Emergency
Management), etc. depended on hams for commo. These type of agencies went
for the sales pitches of the high tech big buck computer driven systems you
see today. You know the ones like the NY Trade Center had and no one could
talk to each other with. Same Same in this fiasco.

and sometimes the agencies were simply not satified with the degree of
control they had over us in those ops. and example I can point to is
Sprifnfield IL, where the IEMa director got ****ed that a ham operator
cut him off, when he want to rip one of his subordinates a new one with
many "colorfull metaphors", the ham control op cut the radio and tried
to explain that he can't say stuff like that on Ham radio

Hams have been largely excluded in Illinois from emergency planing
since that event)things may have been patched up by now Todd might know
more about that than I anymore

Thus for various reason the served agencies have been wanting more
contol over what they depend on and are willing to spend the bucks to
try and get it. Indeed with as much as I understand the cell phones
continued to pass text messages I wonder if they will a real chance to
spend more money on enhancing the towers and back up power supplies
hope to achieve a system within there control, and perhaps look at
geting the govt to sell off some of oour VHF and UHF spectrum to pay
for it

Old September 11th 05, 10:32 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Cmdr Buzz Corey" wrote in message
an_old_friend wrote:

and sometimes the agencies were simply not satified with the degree of
control they had over us in those ops. and example I can point to is
Sprifnfield IL, where the IEMa director got ****ed that a ham operator
cut him off, when he want to rip one of his subordinates a new one with
many "colorfull metaphors", the ham control op cut the radio and tried
to explain that he can't say stuff like that on Ham radio

As he should have.

Hams have been largely excluded in Illinois from emergency planing
since that event)things may have been patched up by now Todd might know
more about that than I anymore

Can you post some proof to back that up?

I would like to see that myself.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 11th 05, 10:53 PM
an_old_friend

Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:

and sometimes the agencies were simply not satified with the degree of
control they had over us in those ops. and example I can point to is
Sprifnfield IL, where the IEMa director got ****ed that a ham operator
cut him off, when he want to rip one of his subordinates a new one with
many "colorfull metaphors", the ham control op cut the radio and tried
to explain that he can't say stuff like that on Ham radio

As he should have.

I agree

Hams have been largely excluded in Illinois from emergency planing
since that event)things may have been patched up by now Todd might know
more about that than I anymore

Can you post some proof to back that up?

Proof no the incident occoured before I was licensed It was first
related to me, by K0HMO, then president of the SVRC, a very similar
story was also related to me by other 2 Hams and A Magor of the IL NG

Todd I believe, was involved in an effort to try to patch things up,
and has related to me a close version of the same story

Old September 12th 05, 10:34 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:

[...]

The Red Cross seems to have a case of the dumb arse when using Amateur
Radio. They apparently don't know what to do with us. So your story does
not surprise me at all.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 12th 05, 11:26 PM
an_old_friend

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:

cut.

I agree

Hams have been largely excluded in Illinois from emergency planing
since that event)things may have been patched up by now Todd might know
more about that than I anymore

Can you post some proof to back that up?

Proof no the incident occoured before I was licensed It was first
related to me, by K0HMO, then president of the SVRC, a very similar
story was also related to me by other 2 Hams and A Magor of the IL NG

Todd I believe, was involved in an effort to try to patch things up,
and has related to me a close version of the same story

The Red Cross seems to have a case of the dumb arse when using Amateur
Radio. They apparently don't know what to do with us. So your story does
not surprise me at all.

Interesting that you refer to the Red Cross rather than IEMA the
referenced agnecy

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 13th 05, 09:27 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:

cut.

I agree

[...]

I just made a comment, and as usual you attacked it.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 13th 05, 09:39 PM
an_old_friend

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
ups.com...

cut
Interesting that you refer to the Red Cross rather than IEMA the
referenced agnecy

Dan/W4NTI

I just made a comment, and as usual you attacked it.

Paranoia Dan?

I just comented on your coment, I see no attack but you do

Dan/W4NTI

everyone's quite shocked at the speed at which these things are changing David Shortwave 37 July 10th 05 08:13 AM
How things are here... John Smith Policy 56 July 2nd 05 02:42 AM
A Newbies View On Things Scott General 6 January 18th 04 10:41 PM
AWOL "bring 'em on" Bush shephed General 0 July 13th 03 04:02 AM
AWOL "bring 'em on" Bush [email protected] Scanner 1 July 13th 03 04:02 AM