Old October 12th 05, 05:04 PM
Matt

Default Cross-Linked Repeaters?

There was a discussion in June in which this was said:

---------------------
There was an earlier discussion here about how several places in
the U.S. now have cross-linked amateur radio, GMRS, business, and
even CB repeaters. I have monitored a few of these set ups in larger
cities. Even heard one cross-linked ham-GMRS repeater out in the
boonies of Texas, think they were cattle ranchers.

73,

Lloyd
--------------------

How exactly is it legal to cross-link ham and GMRS?!?!

Old October 12th 05, 11:09 PM

Matt wrote:
There was a discussion in June in which this was said:

---------------------
There was an earlier discussion here about how several places in
the U.S. now have cross-linked amateur radio, GMRS, business, and
even CB repeaters. I have monitored a few of these set ups in larger
cities. Even heard one cross-linked ham-GMRS repeater out in the
boonies of Texas, think they were cattle ranchers.

73,

Lloyd
--------------------

How exactly is it legal to cross-link ham and GMRS?!?!

It is not. I have a feeling many people consider GMRS a second-class
service. In my area, in Ohio, there is talk of linking a GMRS repeater
to a 2 meter system. These folks will be reported the the FCC for
appropriate enforcement action, if and when it happens.

http://www.popularwireless.com/pra.html

Old October 16th 05, 11:47 PM
an old friend

Matt wrote:
There was a discussion in June in which this was said:

---------------------
There was an earlier discussion here about how several places in
the U.S. now have cross-linked amateur radio, GMRS, business, and
even CB repeaters. I have monitored a few of these set ups in larger
cities. Even heard one cross-linked ham-GMRS repeater out in the
boonies of Texas, think they were cattle ranchers.

73,

Lloyd
--------------------

How exactly is it legal to cross-link ham and GMRS?!?!

it would be legal to set up the hardware ale to cross link to put it on
the air for test by persons holding license in both services, and to
place it in use in emergency condictions

Old October 17th 05, 01:34 AM
KØHB

"Matt" wrote

How exactly is it legal to cross-link ham and GMRS?!?!

It is not legal under any circumstance.

§97.113(e) specifically prohibits it with no loopholes.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old October 17th 05, 08:58 PM
Matt

an old friend wrote:
Matt wrote:

There was a discussion in June in which this was said:

---------------------
There was an earlier discussion here about how several places in
the U.S. now have cross-linked amateur radio, GMRS, business, and
even CB repeaters. I have monitored a few of these set ups in larger
cities. Even heard one cross-linked ham-GMRS repeater out in the
boonies of Texas, think they were cattle ranchers.

73,

Lloyd
--------------------

How exactly is it legal to cross-link ham and GMRS?!?!

it would be legal to set up the hardware ale to cross link to put it on
the air for test by persons holding license in both services, and to
place it in use in emergency condictions

Really? What happens when GMRS user is talking on the ham frequencies,
but doesn't have a HAM call sign?
Old October 17th 05, 09:30 PM
an old friend

Matt wrote:
an old friend wrote:
Matt wrote:

There was a discussion in June in which this was said:

---------------------
There was an earlier discussion here about how several places in
the U.S. now have cross-linked amateur radio, GMRS, business, and
even CB repeaters. I have monitored a few of these set ups in larger
cities. Even heard one cross-linked ham-GMRS repeater out in the
boonies of Texas, think they were cattle ranchers.

73,

Lloyd
--------------------

How exactly is it legal to cross-link ham and GMRS?!?!

it would be legal to set up the hardware ale to cross link to put it on
the air for test by persons holding license in both services, and to
place it in use in emergency condictions

Really? What happens when GMRS user is talking on the ham frequencies,
but doesn't have a HAM call sign?

when?

during a test it would be improper.

during an emergency it doesn't matter as part 97 allows any use of the
bands in an emergency.

if the linkage were under the control of a ham then depnding on the
setup 3rd party rules would apply

Old October 17th 05, 09:51 PM
an old friend

Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:
Matt wrote:
an old friend wrote:

Matt wrote:

There was a discussion in June in which this was said:

---------------------
There was an earlier discussion here about how several places in
the U.S. now have cross-linked amateur radio, GMRS, business, and
even CB repeaters. I have monitored a few of these set ups in larger
cities. Even heard one cross-linked ham-GMRS repeater out in the
boonies of Texas, think they were cattle ranchers.

73,

Lloyd
--------------------

How exactly is it legal to cross-link ham and GMRS?!?!

it would be legal to set up the hardware ale to cross link to put it on
the air for test by persons holding license in both services, and to
place it in use in emergency condictions

Really? What happens when GMRS user is talking on the ham frequencies,
but doesn't have a HAM call sign?

the_old_idiot Markey, doesn't know the rules.

yes Comander I do better than it seems

Old October 17th 05, 11:18 PM
KØHB

"an old friend" wrote

during an emergency it doesn't matter as part 97 allows
any use of the bands in an emergency.

A common but erroneous misconception. While subpart E, article §97.401(a)
allows licensed AMATEURS to use any available frequency during an emergency, it
is NOT reciprocal to other services and it does NOT allow GMRS (or anyone else)
the use of the ham bands.

if the linkage were under the control of a ham then depnding on the
setup 3rd party rules would apply

"Third party" rules do NOT apply to the situation, because this is not
third-party traffic as defined in Subpart A, article §97.7(a)(46) but rather it
is retransmitting signals from another radio service which is specifically
forbidden in Subpart B, article §97.113(e).

Beep beep
de Hans, K0HB