Old November 18th 05, 11:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Article in Electronic Design

You may have to watch an online ad, but it's worth the wait.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/A...164/11164.html

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 18th 05, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil

wrote:
You may have to watch an online ad, but it's worth the wait.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/A...164/11164.html

73 de Jim, N2EY

Now you've done it! You've gone and chafed the naturalized Californian.

Isn't "Electronics Design" a PROFESSIONAL journal?

Dave K8MN
Old November 18th 05, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Cmdr Buzz Corey

wrote:
You may have to watch an online ad, but it's worth the wait.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/A...164/11164.html

73 de Jim, N2EY

Oh my, not the kind of stuff lenniepoo, frankieboy, steveo and other
cbers like to hear.
Old November 18th 05, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Steveo

Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:
wrote:
You may have to watch an online ad, but it's worth the wait.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/A...164/11164.html

73 de Jim, N2EY

Oh my, not the kind of stuff lenniepoo, frankieboy, steveo and other
cbers like to hear.

WTF are you talking about, no-call commode?
Old November 18th 05, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
John

wrote:
You may have to watch an online ad, but it's worth the wait.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/A...164/11164.html

73 de Jim, N2EY

I agree. This is one of the few issues I have kept after reading - just
for this.
John

Old November 18th 05, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Steveo

Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:

wrote:

You may have to watch an online ad, but it's worth the wait.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/A...164/11164.html

73 de Jim, N2EY

Oh my, not the kind of stuff lenniepoo, frankieboy, steveo and other
cbers like to hear.

WTF are you talking about, no-call commode?

You want my call? Here it is...G0TCA LOL at the cber!!!!!

A made up call sign for a made up ham wannabe.

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/4702/commode2ie.jpg

Old November 19th 05, 01:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: on Nov 18, 2:08 am

You may have to watch an online ad, but it's worth the wait.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/A...164/11164.html

"Wait?" That EDITORIAL piece was in the 13 October 2005 issue,
Jimmie. Today is 18 November. Why are you so LATE?

My paper copy of Electronic Design has been sitting
around for a month. It's a no-charge subscription to those
IN the electronics industry; aren't you one of those? The
cover feature is "Weapons of Mass Protection." Feature
article is (on page 27) subtitled "Where the Homeland
Security Dollars Are."

Oh, I understand, you are against making a profit. An
unusual attitude for someone who claims professional (for
money) employment. Tsk, tsk...no wonder you won't reveal
your employer's name!

Your referenced EDITORIAL was written by Editor-in-Chief
Mark David. If you check ED's archives, you will find
another EDITORIAL of his, includes a mention of the ARRL.
Editor David seems to be FOR Access BPL! Like that? :-)

Sunnuvagun!

bee bop

Old November 22nd 05, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
an old friend

From: on Nov 18, 2:08 am

You may have to watch an online ad, but it's worth the wait.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/A...164/11164.html

"Wait?" That EDITORIAL piece was in the 13 October 2005 issue,
Jimmie. Today is 18 November. Why are you so LATE?

My paper copy of Electronic Design has been sitting
around for a month. It's a no-charge subscription to those
IN the electronics industry; aren't you one of those? The
cover feature is "Weapons of Mass Protection." Feature
article is (on page 27) subtitled "Where the Homeland
Security Dollars Are."

Oh, I understand, you are against making a profit. An
unusual attitude for someone who claims professional (for
money) employment. Tsk, tsk...no wonder you won't reveal
your employer's name!

in all fairness that refusual is one of the reasonsi try to cut jim
some slack. it is the senible thing

Stevie wants us to know he is an ER LPN which means given his address
(qrz of course) and check of the phone book (online of course) one
could work out where he works and deliver to him the trouble he tries
to deal out to others

Jim and dave for that matter have enough sense not to reveal there
employment info online, Steve OTOH doesn't have that much sense hemakes
easy and tempting to look it up and try to raise havoc with it, and
flames the restof usfor not puting ourselves out there where we can be
hit

Old November 22nd 05, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:
You may have to watch an online ad, but it's worth the wait.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/A...164/11164.html

73 de Jim, N2EY

Given the millions and millions and millions spent on communications
infrastructure...

" " "The National Guard cited antiquated communications technology-as a
contributor to its delayed response. Lt. Gen. Steven Blum told USA
Today that there was a shortage of high-tech radios and satellite
communications gear. "We were underequipped," Blum told USA Today. "We
don't need tanks and attack helicopters... but we must have
state-of-the-art radios and communications." " "

The Guard most certainly does need attack helicopters. That's what
differentiates the Guard from "AmeriCorps." The Guard is an
Armed Service.

" " "The Guard has historically gotten "handmedown" equipment from
active-duty military. It now uses "Vietnam-era radios while it needs
37,000 newer radios," according to Guard budget briefings." " "

OK, lets fund the Guard.

" " "Meanwhile, ham radio operators proved that older technology can be
the most reliable technology. Our EDA Editor (and ham) David Maliniak
wrote an online column on the subject, pointing out that sometimes "old
works when new doesn't." (Read it and add your comments at ED Online
11136.) During and after Katrina, hams running on generators (sometimes
with makeshift antennas) worked throughout the hurricane zone to put
emergency stations on the air. They guided rescuers to stranded victims
and updated weather services via the Hurricane Watch Net." " "

Wait a minute. The Guard says their equipment is antiquated and needs
replaced, but the ARS service says that older technology may be what is
needed.

Obviously, they can -both- be right. When wide area vhf+ comm systems
go down, they have to switch to simplex where they can, and HF/NVIS
networks for the rest of the area.

Certainly they have mobile repeaters and towers on trailers, don't
they? A Honda 1K that is so quiet that it doesn't interrupt comms, and
sips gasoline. A lot of ham clubs have that setup, why not the
government?

Why not indeed. Government contractor steps up and takes a 10K project
and turns it into 275K contract.

Police department needs 3 of them. Sherrif needs 1. Fire department
needs 3. The Guard needs 3. Governor/EMA needs 2.

12 x $275k = $3,300,000 instead of $120K.

Then they store it in the impound lot with the wrecked cruisers and
fire trucks, exercise it every three of four years whether it needs it
or not. Stale gas in the Honda generator gas tank; sputter sputter,
sputter.

Somebody writes an article and calls it "antiquated" equipment.